Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Sep 13, 2015 8:28 am
Pounding background music or no, Wilhelm's words land on the drunken Leaguers like a procession of thrown bricks.

The Mercenaries exchange glances and leave. There's no sneering, no bravado, no posturing or back-talk. The knife-fighter doesn't draw her knives and her two friends don't boast about her prowess. The trio simply slinks off, heads bowed.

The youngest one is crying a little. The biggest one is shaking.

The Arbiter gives Wilhelm a nod. The bartender serves the requested drinks, and she breathes a huge sigh of relief while doing so.

Rolls

Wilhelm's intimidate roll (+Serana's aid) - (1d20+10)

(20) + 10 = 30

Sep 13, 2015 12:12 pm
Before everyone else completely relaxes after having avoided what would certainly have been a bloody exchange, Pudge sidles up next to the Arbiter. "So, Arbiter, you got a name?" Pudge smiles. "The orange is a great accent color on that armor, by the way. Looks badass, but, also, y'know, a little happy."[/b]

OOC: Pudge is definitely flirting. Even he's not sure if he's just trying to get information or if he's into the soldier. He's pretty sure he'd be happy with an outcome in either of those arenas.
Last edited September 13, 2015 12:12 pm
Sep 13, 2015 12:58 pm
"Don't get your spine broken, Pudge," Serana whispers, before turning her attentions to the bartender. "Quick question: who's in charge of this place now? I assume it's one of Unit 9's commanding officers."
Sep 13, 2015 5:05 pm
The Arbiter blinks. Her hair is cut short and there's a slight glassiness to one of her eyes, hinting at an optical implant. "All Arbiters of the veteran rank share these colours. It is the heraldry of the High Council proper." A pause, and she smiles slightly. "And it's Lyra."

Customers have started to refill the dance floor. The bartender gives a one-armed shrug and uses the other to pour a drink. "Nah, manager's been the same for years now," she tells Serana. "The Mercs don't own him, but he's pretty happy about them busting in and throwing the dealers out on their ass. He doesn't have to pay protection to bastards in the basement any more: Leaguers don't want his money, they just want his building."
Sep 13, 2015 11:20 pm
Darghibous shrugs. OK, we'll have to rely on a different distraction... He considers what the best route to the basement would be, so that he can tell Pudge. He also is scanning the room for anyone else he can work for access to a High Council member; he doesn't want to hamper Pudge's efforts with the Arbiter.
Sep 14, 2015 7:28 am
Darghibous determines that there's an access hatch behind the bartender: there's a small loader drone sat idle next to it, presumably on standby in case any of the drinks dispensers need refilled. On some planets they'd find it baffling that the bar itself isn't completely automated.

The damaged elevator is also an option, assuming that anyone could climb the rickety service ladder down without drawing too much attention to themselves.

There's a thin older woman near a table, drinking and smoking, and while nothing about her business-casual appearance screams "High Council liaison" the fact that she keeps muttering to herself about "goddamned robe-wearing assholes" in a Lodori accent is a bit of a hint.

I was going to roll but I think considering Darghibous' skillset, and the fact that the loud background music should invoke Single-Minded, I'll just say it's a given that he notices these basic things.
Sep 14, 2015 7:54 pm
Trying not to interrupt Pudge's flirting, Darghibous bellies up to the bar between Serana and Wilhelm, and proceeds to ask the bartender for a "Ichthyous Inkblot;" a drink he's inventing on the spot that he "half remembers" so that he can send the bartender to check on various high-shelf bottles. While she's doing that, he murmurs to Serana and Wilhelm about the hatch, the drone (which Pudge has probably already noticed), and the damaged elevator/ladder.
Sep 14, 2015 8:25 pm
"I can climb the ladder easily. Or even just drop down the shaft," Serana whispers back. "But I can't do it quietly. I agree that the drone is our best bet."
Sep 16, 2015 10:36 pm
"Let me know what we're doing and I'll jump in. Until then, I'm going to enjoy this drink. It's a crime to give a Mulhatan anything less than one's full attention." As he sips the bourbon, his body visibly relaxes for the first time since he's met the party.
Sep 17, 2015 5:40 pm
Serana grimaces. "With my implants I can't even get drunk any more," she mutters to herself.
Sep 17, 2015 6:00 pm
"Lyra? That's a melodic name." Pudge takes a sip of his drink, and tries to hide the fact that he hasn't imbibed alcohol often enough to have developed a taste for it. "My name's Pesach, but everyone calls me Pudge. Most people can't really pronounce the 'ch' sound anyway. Besides, I think Pudge fits me. Pudge is really who I am." Pudge looks up at her. "And, people should be who they really are, shouldn't they?"

Surprised by a moment of vulnerability, Pudge adds. "So, I assume you're working tonight, yeah? Otherwise, I'd ask you to dance." Pudge flashes a smile. "Who you working for?"

As he talks, Pudge is scoping out the room for access points to the basements and taking note of technology he might be able to "borrow." He takes note of the drone behind the bar and the hatch beside it.
Sep 18, 2015 7:35 am
Lyra clears her throat. "My employers are attending a meeting here. But I shouldn't elaborate any more than that." She's actually blushing very slightly. "Sorry."

With practised ease Pudge assesses the variety of technology at his disposal. There's a till behind the bar, a security console in the far corner (with a bouncer stood beside it, naturally) and he also notes that a drunken Mercenary has left his PDA unattended while he goes to the toilet. Or possibly the back alley, the Merc isn't really thinking straight.

As for basement access, at first nothing else presents itself... but during a lull in the music Pudge hears part of the floor clunk and rattle when customers walk over it. There must be another hatchway underneath the panelling at the centre of the dance floor.
Sep 18, 2015 4:17 pm
Darghibous, having conveyed his information, nods to the others and claims his drink. He wanders over to the table with the Lodori woman, takes a sip from his drink and sputters in disgust.

"Ugh! This Icthyous Inkblot is terrible!" (true) "Doesn't anyone know how to make a good drink nowadays?" He looks down at the woman. "What is it that you're drinking? Is it any good? I'll tell you, it's got to be better than this!"
Sep 18, 2015 5:14 pm
The woman turns round haughtily, then looks Darghibous up and down and slowly breaks into a smile. "I very much doubt it. I'm attempting to drink that Ascorvien piss they try and pass off as liquor. Why don't you have a seat?"
Sep 19, 2015 4:48 pm
"I'd be delighted, thank you!" Darghibous pulls out a chair and takes a seat. "It's good to meet someone civilized in these parts." He takes another sip and winces. Really, I've got to pay more attention when I'm distracting a bartender next time... Then he leans forward conspiratorially with a crooked grin and a raised eyebrow. "You are civilized, aren't you?"
Sep 19, 2015 5:53 pm
She leans in too. "They don't get much more civilised than me, sweetheart. I'm in the administration for a Lord Councillor."

That's quite a boast. There are only about a hundred Lord Councillors at any one time: it's the second highest rank in the echelons of the High Council, compared to a hundred thousand Senior Councillors and untold millions of, well, vanilla High Councillors.
Sep 20, 2015 4:11 pm
"Now I'm even more impressed! I was hoping for some intelligent company, but you...I'm stunned." He moves the glass to swirl the vile concoction inside it as he returns her assessment, taking a long look up and down. "You completely exceeded my expectations. Why am I so lucky? This all must seem terribly provincial to you. It seems provincial to me, and I'd bet I'm not nearly as cosmopolitan as you. What do you do for entertainment around here, assuming that you get any time off?"
Sep 21, 2015 9:48 am
"Entertainment? Valon is a rotten planet, even before the beacon went bust. Round here we have to make our own entertainment. You'd be welcome to visit my quarters at the embassy some time." She touches a button on her wrist, beaming her social media card to Darghibous's communicator. "Any time. The rest of the night is mine."

According to her card, she's Timea Bechard, Executive Administrator for Lord Councillor Graves-Burton. Darghibous has heard of Graves-Burton before, although not in any great detail. But he's certainly not a Councillor local to Valon.
Sep 21, 2015 2:51 pm
"That's okay. I wouldn't want you to compromise your professionalism on my behalf," Pudge remarks wryly. "Well, Lyra. This is the point where in another situation I might feed you some line about seizing the moment because who knows what will happen tomorrow, or some such waste. However, not only do I know that wouldn't work, as you don't get those striking orange accents by shirking your duties, but I'm also really enjoying your company and don't want to spoil it. You gonna be around for a little while?"

Without waiting for a response, Pudge continues. "Tell you what. I want to stay here and talk with you, but I have some of my own duties to attend to this evening. If you're still here after I take care of some things, I'd love to continue chatting. Just in case you're not, however, I think it'd be prudent if we exchanged contact cards, yeah?"
Sep 22, 2015 7:41 am
"That's against policy. I'm sorry." Lyra coughs. "You can send me yours, maybe I'll get in touch. Besides, I'm sure you could look me up."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.