Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Nov 15, 2015 8:25 pm
The Mercenary pauses. He clearly did not expect any quarter after such a one-sided fight.

"You... can ask your questions." He sheathes the knife. "I will answer them if able. But there's a gunship on the way: that's not a fight you'll survive. Not even you people."

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 18, 2015 11:45 am
Serana goggles at the mention of a gunship. "Then I'll keep this quick: why did you attack us? Who ordered it?"
Nov 18, 2015 1:05 pm
Wilhelm holds his scythe up to the merc's throat. "And if you don't answer her in the next three sentences, it's going to become very difficult for you to answer anyone ever again."

after each sentence Wilhelm is going to loudly state what sentence number the merc is on until he directly answers the question
Nov 18, 2015 7:54 pm
"That's not really something I can break down in just three sentences."

"One."

"No, I'm trying to co-operate, it's just not as simple as that."

"Two."

"Lord Councillor Graves-Burton wants you all dead," the Merc blurts out.

Rolls

Intimidate

Nov 18, 2015 9:33 pm
"See? Now that wasn't so hard."
Nov 20, 2015 2:30 pm
For a moment Serana is too angry to talk. "Graves-Burton is involved with the renegade Mercenaries? But... he was just meeting with the loyalists to discuss an alliance. What is he trying to pull here?" She jabs a finger at the man. "It's the Vault, isn't it? He wants the Vault."
Nov 20, 2015 6:31 pm
"Yeah, he's a real piece of work, is Graves-Burton. I've been observing him for a while. He's been telling both sides that he will work with them in exploiting what's in the Vault, but he has no intention of sharing it. He wants to Vault all to himself, and he's willing to go to any length and make any promise, as long as it helps him get into the Vault.

But the Vault must NOT be opened."
Last edited November 20, 2015 6:31 pm
Nov 20, 2015 6:46 pm
"I'm perfectly willing to eviscerate anyone who thinks they can have me killed. Besides, I've got a witch to kill, and something tells me she'll be interested in this Vault as well."
Nov 20, 2015 9:08 pm
"I should've seen this coming. Of course he would want to put himself on top. And it sounds like he's already in a strong position to call all the shots.

I know for a fact that Graves-Burton will ally himself with anyone, even enemies of the High Council. There's a chance this witch of yours is already working with him Wilhelm, whether she realises it or not."
Nov 22, 2015 4:24 am
"Perhaps. It would certainly save me the trouble of killing them both in two separate places."
Nov 22, 2015 3:16 pm
"Just to confirm, I've been able to use the active connection at the club to check the mainframe's protocols for Graves-Burton's communication channels. Comparing it to the wrist computer of our helpful friend here, I can verify the Lord Councillor is definitely in contact with both factions of Mercenaries, and is playing them against one another."

Pudge has never really been one for political intrigue, so he doesn't quite understand the ramifications of this. But, he knows it means Graves-Burton is a scoundrel.

Pudge spits on the ground. "Rotten bastard."
Nov 22, 2015 3:35 pm
Serana clenches a fist in grim triumph. "Knowing is one thing, proving it was another. Well done. It could be that no one believes the evidence but at least we know for sure.

This settles it. Darghibous is right: we can't let G-B open the Vault. We can't let anyone open the Vault if he might take advantage."
Nov 25, 2015 9:05 am
Darghibous is relieved to hear someone else say it. He looks expectantly at each of them in turn.

Eventually, he wonders: "So, we agree something should be done. Where should we start? Going to the Vault, confronting Graves-Burton, or engaging in something less direct to prevent his plans?"
Nov 25, 2015 7:33 pm
"Graves-Burton already knows I'm here and presumably knows who I am, especially after that mental bout with his personal psion. We can use that to our advantage. I've established myself as a target, but the rest of you, especially Pudge and Darghibous, are most likely under his radar as far as who you actually are. Graves-Burton will want me dead and is likely to expend much of his immediate resources towards that end. Operating under these circumstances, I need to draw him into a confrontation in which he will leave himself vulnerable. That's when the rest of you will strike." His face becomes grim. "Just make sure you make it count."
Last edited November 25, 2015 7:34 pm
Nov 26, 2015 4:52 pm
"So we need to choose our battleground."

(OoC: what would I roll to recall a good location in or near the city to plan an ambush?)
Nov 26, 2015 5:24 pm
I'd say Insight+KNO: 11+ for a success, 16+ for a rousing success that'd let you start the ambush with an additional bonus. Even if the roll fails you can still plan something, it just won't grant any particular advantage. You can feel free to come up with your own idea and run with it or you can PM me and I'll think of a scenario/location that'd work, haha
Nov 26, 2015 8:25 pm
(OOC: My suggestion would be the High Council embassy. It's supposed to be completely impregnable but between Serana's insider knowledge, Darghi's Insight and Pudge's Tech and maybe Wilhelm's Social it's easily somewhere we could subvert in order to lure Graves-Burton out with a false sense of security.)
Dec 2, 2015 7:31 am
Darghibous considers for a moment what location he can recommend...

Rolls

Check to recall a good battleground+Insight+KNO - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Dec 8, 2015 6:37 am
Darghibous ponders for a while and then offers: "For myself, I have found that the offer of information is sometimes irresistible to those who crave it...or wish to control it. Graves-Burton probably is both. I have been chasing leads about the Vault for so long, I think I am likely to know some things he does not...or at least be able to speak convincingly enough about it to the right ears to make him suspect that we know something he does not. So we can get him to show his hand. Choosing the embassy itself could work - he would be unlikely to just bomb it, both because it is public and because we may have information he wants. It's unlikely we can get him to come himself, but he may commit enough resources that we can impede his work, and in so doing, perhaps get further clues as to where he is, so we can continue to take the fight to him...and keep him from opening the Vault!"
Dec 11, 2015 8:26 pm
A little later...

Graves-Burton was deeply interested in the data Darghibous claimed to have. In return the Lord Councillor provided the meeting location: the heart of the commercial centre. It's a boxy building adjacent to the main embassy complex, a ring of offices and convenience stores surrounding a large indoor park. And in that park there's a bench. A bench that, apparently, Graves-Burton will be sat upon. Darghibous doesn't believe that for a second.

A pair of surveillance drones lazily circle the embassy site. A single Arbiter stands at the main gate in full power armour, but he's mostly there for show: the bulk of the guards are Mercenaries. They don't seem particularly alert, and for good reason. The embassy is known to be one of the safest places in the city. A huge and ornate dome, it is nevertheless subtly fortified and secured with all the latest innovations, and by its very nature is populated with a disproportionately high number of psions. It's a little taller than the commercial centre, and Mercs with sniper rifles patrol its roof without making the slightest attempt to hide their presence.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.