Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Jan 26, 2016 4:58 pm
Darghibous scans the buildings for any external ladders, fire escapes, etc. He responds to Pudge thoughtfully: "Well, no, it was mostly just an idea. But I see what you mean; I suppose I could use a car, if that would be more helpful. Otherwise, we were invited; perhaps I could just walk in while Serana has their attention..."
Jan 26, 2016 7:10 pm
"Wait just one second, let me see if I can get the video feed inside before you head in."
OOC:
What do I see, GM?
Jan 27, 2016 9:56 pm
Darghibous notes that the fire escapes are retracted. Seems like a terrific oversight: what if the facility's computer system broke down during a crisis and trapped the occupants? A deathtrap in the making. And it also makes his job a lot harder. There is, at least, an emergency access ladder that's already deployed, although climbing it all the way to the roof might prove tiring.

At first glance it seems to be business as usual inside the building. Checking the main surveillance channels shows no sign of heightened security presence.
OOC:
Also sent whipstache a DM that goes into a bit more detail re: the camera feeds.
Jan 28, 2016 7:41 am
"So...I see a way I could climb up to the roof, but it's a long climb and I'd be in the open for quite a while." He smiles. "Good thing I'm sneaky. But I could also just walk in there. What do you think: speed, or stealth?"
Jan 28, 2016 5:49 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
"So...I see a way I could climb up to the roof, but it's a long climb and I'd be in the open for quite a while." He smiles. "Good thing I'm sneaky. But I could also just walk in there. What do you think: speed, or stealth?"
"Well, there are a few guards patrolling the roof, but I could help you avoid them if you were to get up there." Pudge pauses while scanning. "Why don't you take the easy way in? Once there, we'll have a better idea of what we're up against."
Jan 28, 2016 7:06 pm
"Either way, you're number of distractions is about to double." Whilhelm clicks off his comms and his long coat falls off of his shoulders to reveal a sleeveless, light armor vest and a myriad of sharp implements. Adjusting his hat once more, Whilhelm sweeps up behind Reave and brings the blade of his scythe against her throat. "Unfortunately, it's going to be you who needs the support." The flurry of blows that comes after is accompanied by a shout of fury that fills the courtyard.

Burning an Edge to do a full attack on top of a Brutalize. Any relevant bonuses for surprise?
Edit: Ouch! And a crit. This is gonna hurt."
Last edited January 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Rolls

Brutalize - (1d10+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Swing Again - (1D20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Swing Effect - (1D10+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Jan 29, 2016 2:04 pm
The story so far

The planet Valon is in chaos. Its phase beacon has been down for three days now, cutting the world off from the rest of Alpha Sector. The timing is suspicious: a Vault has been found during recent excavations in Valon city centre. A facility of indeterminate size but unimaginable value, assumed to be piled high with relics from before the Schism.

Chief Cáceres of the Valon PD calls the party in to grill them about their whereabouts and possible involvement in recent events, but in truth he has reason to believe they're the only people he can trust right now. His police force is caught in the crossfire in a civil war between loyalists of the Mercenary League, and renegades who believe the current situation calls for them to seize control of the entire planet. The party, too, are soon caught up in the fighting.

During their investigations at a club whose upper levels have been converted into a loyalist HQ, the party discovers a major architect of the civil war: Lord Councillor Graves-Burton, henceforth abbreviated to LCGB because damn is that a mouthful. After Pudge's attempt to hack the Merc network is discovered, the party are almost taken out by a very powerful psion in LCGB's employ. They're able to get away when Pudge hotwires a car... only to find themselves attacked by renegades. After a predictably one-sided fight an interrogation reveals that LCGB has been playing both sides against each other and swearing to share whatever is inside the Vault. Pudge scans data gained back at the HQ and confirms it: LCGB is a rotten bastard.

Wilhelm suggests forcing a showdown with LCGB and the party agrees that the current situation is untenable and that they want to take the fight to him. Haunted as he is by predictions of the future, Darghibous in particular knows that LCGB cannot be allowed to open the Vault.

He has arranged a meeting with the Lord Councillor, who believes that Darghibous has pertinent information about the Vault (and Darghibous truly does because he's spent so long doing his own research into it). The location presented was the High Council embassy, picked out in part due to Serana's familiarity with it but mostly because LCGB will feel safest there. LCGB himself claims that he'll be sitting on a park bench in the embassy's commercial centre awaiting Darghibous' arrival. Whether the party truly believes this is another thing...

Serana immediately went and picked a fight with an Arbiter she's got some history with. This finally drew LCGB's powerful psion out of the shadows: Reave, an Enforcer who is working with LCGB for some currently unknown reason.

Pudge has already tapped into the embassy's security system and as a result the party can hear Reave's vox chatter... With Reave on the verge of melting Serana's mind, Wilhelm makes his move. Neither has ever fought anyone quite like the other before.
Jan 29, 2016 2:21 pm
Wilhelm strikes and Reave repeatedly sways and sidesteps, dance-like, lazily. Her hand is suddenly holding a harmonic blade: a sword-like cousin to Wilhelm's own vibro-scythe.

She allows herself a slight smile. "Come now. Did you honestly think I hadn't noticed you? I—"

Reave stops. A thin trickle of red leaks down her neck and on to her shoulder. She goggles at the cut as if she's never seen her own blood before. Cuts plural: Wilhelm's swipes nicked her repeatedly.

"Oh, you are good. Pity I have to kill you now."

She moves like a snake. It's all Wilhelm can do to dodge and parry the worst of it. And all the while, he can feel her psi clawing and biting at the back of his mind.

Nobody can tell because of his helmet, but Cafertol's jaw is hanging loose at the sight of the exchange of blows. On the comm channels, Pudge can make out various different Mercs swearing in disbelief.
OOC:
Reave has 7/11 HP remaining and 2/3 EP remaining (she blew one of her own Edge points on survival).
Wilhelm has 5/7 HP remaining and 2/3 EP remaining.

Rolls

Reave Melee - (1d20+8, 1d8+8)

Reave Psi - (1d20+10, 3d6)

Jan 29, 2016 9:34 pm
Serana sees the nearby bushes explode to shredded leaves as vibro blades are spun about. Sheis suddenly very aware that there was a uniformed Enforcer watching her every move. If Wilhelm hadn't been there.. ...

"Oh hell. Wilhelm! We want her alive!" If she doesn't kill us first, Serana adds to herself.

She pokes her sword at Cafertol. "Either get the hell out of here or help me stop them murdering each other. I want to know why theres a god-damned Enforcer working with you and I'd rather find it out without our fighter dying."
OOC:
forgot to roll a dice for that. whoops.
Last edited January 29, 2016 10:12 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Jan 30, 2016 4:29 am
Whilhelm smiles at Reave's threatening taunt. "You can certainly try." Tightening his grip on his scythe, Whilhelm unleashes his mental and physical counterattack.

Spending another edge for an extra attack. Note: the mental is a defense thing as Wilhelm isn't actually a psion. Also, forgot to add +9 to attack effects.
Last edited January 30, 2016 4:33 am

Rolls

Mental Counter - (1d20+9, 1d10+9)

1d20+9 : (17) + 9 = 26

1d10+9 : (3) + 9 = 12

Cut Her Up - (1d20+9, 1d20+9)

1d20+9 : (18) + 9 = 27

1d20+9 : (20) + 9 = 29

Cut Her Up (effect rolls) - (1d10, 1d10)

1d10 : (9) = 9

1d10 : (9) = 9

Jan 30, 2016 4:33 am
OOC:
Daaaaang. Wilhelm is going off!
Feb 1, 2016 6:23 pm
Cafertol turns around and walks away. He's not moved by Serana's words but he feels as if the situation has escalated way beyond his abilities.

Reave is an impressive combatant with few peers. To spectators she appears to blur and flicker and at times vanish altogether, but Wilhelm has made a career out of fighting people like her. As much as she tries to mask her presence and censor her existence in Wilhelm's mind, she cannot edit out the movement of air, the rustle of leaves or the depressions her feet leave in the grass. Wilhelm keeps finding his mark, again and again, without pause and without offering an opening.

Reave is starting to look tired, but her mastery of her own body is such that any wounds she suffers quickly stop bleeding. She jumps back, raises her sword as if to strike with it... and then hits Wilhelm with her psi. His preparation allows him to maintain consciousness, but he's staggered all the same.

"I can keep doing that," Reave states. "And I can do it harder."
OOC:
Reave has 4/11 HP remaining and 1/3 Edge as she's just performed a Surge.
Wilhelm has 2/7 HP remaining and 1/3 EP. He has just been Slowed by Reave's Encounter Power (as well as taking 5 Hits: but I docked one Hit as he's bracing for it) and will not be able to perform full actions in his next turn.

Rolls

Mindblast (Encounter power), deals 1d4+1 Hits - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Feb 1, 2016 6:47 pm
OOC:
According to my sheet, I have can use Feedback as an interrupt if I burn an Edge point. This would allow Wilhelm to have a shield token in place for this most recent attack by Reave, and she would be stunned (instead of him, which would be the case without the use of an Edge point). Is that cool? Can/Should I roll for that?
Feb 1, 2016 6:54 pm
OOC:
Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing you should feel free to use the interrupt for! No need to roll, as an Edge power I think it's fair to say it applies automatically. Makes perfect sense too because Reave is tapped into the same communication system and can easily be subjected to nasty vox feedback or whatever.

In terms of fluff/story, maybe she performs the first attack (inflicting 2 Hits, sans the Shield reduction) and Pudge interrupts her as she's performing a second? Or I could edit my original post, your call.
Feb 1, 2016 7:14 pm
OOC:
We're allowed to burn edge "cuz plot" right? If so I'll burn my last one in a sec for some specialized anti-psi restraints or something a hunter would have for subduing a target.
Feb 1, 2016 7:52 pm
Edcrab says:
OOC:
Makes perfect sense too because Reave is tapped into the same communication system and can easily be subjected to nasty vox feedback or whatever.

In terms of fluff/story, maybe she performs the first attack (inflicting 2 Hits, sans the Shield reduction) and Pudge interrupts her as she's performing a second? Or I could edit my original post, your call.
Yeah, sounds good. Or, you know, Pudge also has Psionic Disruption and Support as a resource. Flavor-wise, it comes back to his recent discovery of latent psi-abilities. He doesn't really know how to control it or use it in precise ways, but in a high-adrenaline situation where he just needs to "do something" he can boost an ally's psi or disrupt an enemy's.

Would the shield negate the final two hits?
Feb 1, 2016 8:51 pm
OOC:
Oh sure! It makes sense that if anything would make Pudge's abilities kick up a notch, it's the pressure of seeing an ally getting blasted. I usually don't like the idea of completely nulling attacks but, then again, it is an Edge power and she's the same level as you so why not.
And yeah Kenny, that's fine too. Edge is very much a big dramatic "I need to do a thing" point that you can spend to do pretty much anything that's reasonably within your character's purview.
Feb 3, 2016 3:14 am
As Reave unleashes her psionic attack on Wilhelm, Pudge hears Wilhelm make an almost imperceptible whimper. Anyone else would have dismissed it as line static, but Pudge's endless hours listening to police chatter and hacking orbital radio broadcasts trained his ears. In that moment, Pudge closes his eyes, shutting them as hard as he can. He starts to hear a high pitched squeal, softly at first, then unbearably loud. He puts his hands on his eyes and presses hard, trying to squeeze them even more shut. Then, all of a sudden, everything turns white.

Everything is white, bright white. Pudge is sitting in a pure white room, cross legged on the floor. And, for the first time in as long as he can remember, he feels peace, an abiding tranquility. After what feels like days, basking in this warmth, he begins to hear a faint whisper. Pudge immediately recognizes the voice as belonging to Reave. She says softly, almost sensually, "I don't know why you're hanging out with these psychotic maniacs... but I'm going to kill them, starting with this lunatic who thinks he's the goddamned grim reaper. Then I'm going to kill you. Then I'm going to hunt down your family and kill them." The voice abruptly changes into an angry shout, "I CAN KEEP DOING THAT!"

Pudge opens his eyes wide. Then, without thinking, opens his mouth and lets out a guttural war cry, unleashing psionic energy that had been spooling in his mind for the last few seconds. Reave's mind explodes in pain as her own psionic attack is forced back onto her. She stumbles.
OOC:
The shield protects Wilhelm from the attack and stuns Reave.
Feb 3, 2016 8:34 pm
OOC:
I would first like to state that WILHELM FALSTAFF DOES NOT WHIMPER! HE GROANS MANLY LIKE! Ok, it was a whimper but that really hurt!
The excruciating pain filling Wilhelm's head is suddenly replaced with deep vibrations, snapping everything back into focus. With Reave struggling to keep her footing, Wilhelm launches himself at her, a flurry of fists hoping to render the psion unconcious.

Rolls

Mike Tyson's Punch Out - (1D20+9, 1d10+9)

1D20+9 : (7) + 9 = 16

1d10+9 : (1) + 9 = 10

Feb 4, 2016 10:37 pm
Seeing that Wilhelm's punch wasn't the clean knockout they needed, Serana takes matters into her own hands. She sheathes her sword, grapples on to Reave, and suplexes her.
OOC:
If I'm not close enough, standard attack with a movement, so +9 instead of 11

Rolls

full attack - (1d20+11, 1d10+11)

1d20+11 : (14) + 11 = 25

1d10+11 : (6) + 11 = 17

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.