Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Mar 2, 2016 7:44 pm
"The only way Graves-Burton will get his hands on the Vault is stepping over my corpse. The Mercenary League is a band of renegades and pirates, and the distinguished Lord Councillor is a snake who craves power he hasn't the spine to wield. We're talking about technology that could quite possibly end planets with a button press. We can't allow it to fall to those who work for their own advancement at the detriment of others."
Mar 7, 2016 9:08 am
Darghibous is satisfied; he's confirmed that Graves-Burton has every intention of opening the Vault, and does not recognize that he himself is one of the irresponsible parties that Darghibous mentioned. Darghibous knows he must be stopped, and he has a brief fantasy about pulling the grenade out of his bag of tricks and ending Graves-Burton right there, but that would take care of a symptom at best (Graves-Burton), not the actual problem (the Vault itself). He has the barest flicker of an idea about what the group might be able to do with a cruiser...

With a pause only long enough to consider Graves-Burton's offer, Darghibous smiles. "Thank you. That's very generous. The veto in particular is quite satisfactory." Darghibous rises and bows. "Shall I contact you in the same way once I have made the deal clear to my colleagues?"
Mar 7, 2016 2:33 pm
"Indeed. I hope to hear from you soon." Graves-Burton remains seated, and glances past Darghibous. "I doubt we need to meet in person again. Not when we've reached an... understanding."

He thinks he's being subtle, and to some degree he is, but it's clear to Darghibous that Graves-Burton is making eye contact with someone in the crowd. An irony of telepathy is that even talented psi-practitioners find it easier to broadcast when they can physically see the recipient: the whole time, the Lord Councillor has had another bodyguard waiting in the throng. But Darghibous cannot spot who it is.

"Goodbye. And enjoy your journey."
Mar 8, 2016 4:16 pm
:::Unbelievable...::: It's all Darghibous can do not to shake his head. Not that he's surprised that Graves-Burton has somebody watching him - probably ready to attack him - but that he's trying to be subtle and yet still make puns like that? Good grief.

Darghibous smiles and walks away, out through the crowd towards the outer lobby where the others await. Once he's out of earshot, he sighs: "...by which he means he expects me to be attacked." Darghibous has his bag of tricks ready, and his ring.
Mar 10, 2016 8:14 pm
Perhaps something about how Darghibous moves tips the unseen bodyguard off, or perhaps they had a change of heart spurred on by the presence of Darghibous' allies. No attack comes.

Darghibous isn't sure what to make of it, but he feels an itching at the back of his head as he moves further out of the courtyard...

Keep walking. Graves-Burton is certain you plan to ambush him. Prove him wrong. Make him squirm.

And whatever you do, do not trust him. Take it from me.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Mar 11, 2016 1:07 am
Darghibous continues out into the lobby and, if unmolested, saunters out of the building. He realizes he's walking past his allies in the lobby, but he still feels that itching as if somebody has him under very close scrutiny, so he walks on, intending to reunite with them a little further away from Graves-Burton's turf.
Mar 11, 2016 1:30 am
Wilhelm waits for a few minutes before he too exits the lobby, being sure to pick up the tied and gagged Reave from her bush in the courtyard as he goes to exit the compound.
Mar 11, 2016 10:38 am
Serana has stayed a little further away from proceedings. Partly because of her history in the place, partly because she's visibly a cyborg. She rejoins the team.

"How did it go?" She asks Darghibous. "Or is that a silly question, seeing as you're still with us and you don't have a knife in your back."
Mar 15, 2016 3:32 pm
"It went about as well as you heard...I'm assuming that Pudge's link was up and you heard everything?" Darghibous shakes his head. "I think you two were much more successful than I was." He nods at Reave, not knowing about Pudge's contribution to the fight.
Last edited March 15, 2016 3:34 pm
Mar 22, 2016 12:16 am
"You want to thank Pudge and Wilhelm for that. Wilhelm fought her to a standstill and Pudge..." Serana swallows. "Pudge matched her psi and stunned her."
Mar 29, 2016 7:16 pm
Pudge looks down and scratches the back of his head. "Heh. It's not quite like that. I certainly didn't overpower her. I just... well, do you know what a feedback loop is? I think that's sort of what happened. I, somehow, intercepted her attack Wilhelm and closed the output response. Then, when I couldn't keep it looping any longer, I opened the output, and it just shot back out at her."

He pauses, and looks around the group for a few seconds, trying to see if anyone understood his analogy.

"Anyway, I certainly couldn't generate anything that powerful. I just made it so she attacked herself instead of Wilhelm." Pudge looks back at the ground, grabbing his left elbow with his right arm across his torso. He hoped he sounded convincing, because he sure as hell didn't know what had happened. Not understanding the mechanics of a thing normally frustrated him, but right now he felt scared and a little ashamed.
Last edited March 29, 2016 7:18 pm
Mar 29, 2016 7:29 pm
Whilhelm smiles at Pudge, "Irani, I hope to hell you don't go rogue on us, because I'm begining to relize killing you would be a real pain in the ass." He chuckles and puts Reave into the trunk of the group's ride. With his hands now free, he takes his coat from Serana and covers back up. "Well ramblers, I think it's best we get rambling. We got a witch to interrogate, a Vault to find, an army to subdue, and a High-Counciler to kill. Sounds like we're about to have some fun."
Apr 3, 2016 7:30 pm
"You have a strange idea of 'fun', Wilhelm. But hell. I suppose I do too. Let the revelry begin."
Apr 19, 2016 9:21 pm
A little later...

The drive is uneventful. Insofar as any journey through a warzone with a captive in your trunk can be uneventful. Patrols are bypassed, wandering gangs are circumvented. Occasionally a cruiser flies overhead, forcing Pudge to hide the car in alleys or tunnels: there's no way of knowing who's up there. Might be a friend, might be someone seeking to drown the area in plasma ordnance.

The exact location of the Vault is in dispute, but Darghibous can make an educated guess: it's where the Mercenary League activity is at its highest. Great concentrations of troops and carriers and, most damningly, heavy-duty excavation machinery. Either Graves-Burton's allies are terrible at secrecy or they're making no effort to conceal their plans.

Halfway to the Vault, driving down a deserted bombed-out neighbourhood, Reave kicks her way out of the trunk. The car's lock was nothing special but Wilhelm's Plaztiqueâ„¢ cuffs are made of sterner stuff: they're still clamped over Reave's wrists when she bursts free and throws herself from the moving vehicle.
OOC:
You can attempt a Reactions roll (1d20 + FOC or AGI, DC 15) to respond to her escape immediately, before she gets the chance to do anything. As usual you can use any talent you like in conjunction with the roll as long as you attempt to explain how it might be applicable. In the event you roll 21+, Reave doesn't even make it out of the trunk!
Apr 19, 2016 9:37 pm
Pudge has been trying to keep a psionic tendril reached out toward Reave, in case she were to try to escape, attack, or contact someone.

Rolls

Reaction - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Apr 20, 2016 11:14 am
Serana quickly turns and lunges out of the back window, shattering it. She comes within centimetres of grabbing Reave's leg but doesnt quite make it. "Damn!"
Last edited April 20, 2016 11:15 am

Rolls

Reactions (+ mobility) - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Apr 21, 2016 1:24 am
No. Not a chance. There was no way in HELL she was getting away. Not after all that. Wilhelm slides out of his seat and onto the street, casting his scythe to full length like a hook.
Last edited April 21, 2016 1:26 am

Rolls

Reaction - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Apr 21, 2016 1:31 pm
Luckily for Reave, Wilhelm uses the flat of the blade to trip her rather than slicing through her leg. Reave falls forward, clumsily trying to cushion her fall with her shackled hands. It all happens in a heartbeat. Reave still has one leg in the trunk: she didn't even make it clear.

"I don't know what you're hoping to accomplish," Reave calls out, still prone in the dirt, "but without me to keep him in check, there's no telling what Graves-Burton will try next."
Apr 22, 2016 2:19 pm
Wilhelm stuffs her back into the trunk and smiles, looking down at her. "Well, when we get to where we're going you can tell us all about that." The trunk slams shut, trapping Reave once more in the darkness. Wilhelm then looks to his friends, "Speaking of which, where are we taking her? Interrogating a prisoner while surrounded by hostiles doesn't sound like the best plan to me."
Last edited April 22, 2016 2:19 pm
Apr 22, 2016 3:34 pm
Serana brushes broken glass off her shoulders. "You have a point. How about we park inside one of these abandoned buildings? I haven't seen another living soul since we entered this street.

And. Ah. Sorry about the windshield, Pudge. We'll have to see if we can get a new car at some point."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.