Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Jun 20, 2016 9:03 pm
"Not me! I joined this group so I could get what's in there for me!"

Pudge waits for a split-second, then, as no one reacts, realizes his poor attempt at a joke was ill-timed and unwelcome.

"uh, I mean..." Pudge swallows hard. "Look, yeah. I promise," he says looking sheepishly at his shoes.
Jun 28, 2016 4:35 pm
A little later...

Reave provides direction but in the end the Vault's location is starkly obvious. Innumerable gunships hang above the site like ominous clouds. Graves-Burton's allies have cleared the surrounding blocks and positioned automated turrets at the outskirts. There's no longer any trace of subtlety in their operations.

The party advances on foot, avoiding conflict at this stage. The Mercs are alert and on-edge, preoccupied with the threat of ambush, with the potential for loyalist airstrikes and armoured assaults. Once or twice a Merc spots one of the team, but Reave merely edits the party's presence out of the guards' thoughts. Combined with Pudge making a few subtle tweaks to the turrets' target acquisition protocols, reaching the Vault entrance is surprisingly simple.

The Vault is massive but otherwise unassuming, set in the rocky ground beneath a recently-demolished office block. And as for the door...

"Damn," Reave murmurs, "we're too late. That power-mad idiot has already opened it."

A metal corridor lies beyond, still lit by electric lighting. A token Merc force stands guard— five troopers and a handful of drones— but it is obvious from the mud tracked onto the otherwise pristine floor that a far more significant contingent has entered the Vault proper.
Jun 28, 2016 5:39 pm
Wilhelm takes cover and looks to the team. So, does anyone have a plan or am I just gonna hop over there and start liberating limbs?
Last edited June 28, 2016 5:39 pm
Jun 28, 2016 9:00 pm
"Normally I'd push for the diplomatic option. But if I know Graves-Burton he's inches from pressing the button that will blow up the universe." Serana draws her sword. "I say we go in and cut down anyone who tries to stop us."
Jun 30, 2016 12:50 pm
"Hold on a sec, before we go..." Pudge looks at Serana hesitantly, "would you mind if I took a look at your sword?"
Jun 30, 2016 9:40 pm
Serana blinks. "Go ahead. But I'm not sure what you're expecting to see." She holds it out for Pudge, but keeps a firm grip in case he can't even lift it. "It's just a Severmax™ ceramic blade. An XL one, of course, but it's nothing special."
Jul 6, 2016 6:03 pm
Pudge takes the blade, closes one eye, and looks down the sharp edge. He moves around to the pommel, "Here, can you hold it like... *this*?" As Serana stands there awkwardly holding her giant sword at a ridiculous angle, Pudge rummages through his bag. He emerges holding a small electronic box. Without saying anything else, he starts fiddling with wires. After a silent 30 second or so, he stands and scratches his head. "That _should_ do. Now, your armor's control interface is under here, right?" Pudge lifts her left arm and pops open a panel on Serana's left side torso. He taps a few buttons, then glazes over as he appears to be manipulating some coding. After twenty seconds, he mindlessly says aloud, "almost there." Another fifteen seconds pass, and his eyes regain focus.

"There. That should help."

Pudge smiles wide, quite proud of himself. Then, he turns to Wilhelm. "I'd do yours too, but... well, unless it's computerized..." He shrugs.

Pudge shoulders his pack. "Shall we?"
OOC:
Using Enhance to give Serana's sword +2 to hit by installing a pilfered targeting module from one of the turrets he disabled, and connecting it to her power armor, so, effectively, the sword can help auto target and the armor can make slight adjustments to the swing arc. The power says it also grants an Aspect, but I'm not really sure how that would work.
Last edited July 6, 2016 6:07 pm
Jul 6, 2016 9:26 pm
No wires here. I've used EMP to fry too many auged psychs to trust the stuff.
Jul 6, 2016 10:27 pm
Serana gives the freshly upgraded sword an experimental swing and savours the difference. She breaks out into a grin. "Thanks. I wish we'd met earlier, Pudge." She looks back to the Mercs. "I think this might be the grand finale we're racing toward. Shall we go make history?"
Last edited July 6, 2016 10:27 pm
Jul 12, 2016 4:27 am
You can make the history. I'm just here for the same reason I've been here all along: too kill a witch.

[ooc]What kind of enemies are there at the entrance?[/ooo]
Last edited July 12, 2016 4:28 am
Jul 12, 2016 12:57 pm
"I suppose we should." Pudge sets his face toward the entrance. Amazing how quickly things change. Just a few days ago I was an expert at running through the city, avoiding conflict. Now I'm about to dive headlong into a bullet storm.

Pudge has an almost disturbing peace as he readies himself for whatever comes next.
Jul 12, 2016 1:38 pm
OOC:
Very similar to your earlier fight with the Mercs and the drones: four troopers (3 standards, 1 heavy) and 6 gun drones. In other words, nothing particular dangerous haha
Jul 13, 2016 2:20 pm
Wilhelm looks over the barrier before turning to his companions. I've got the drones. Serana, rush the heavy and try out Pudge's new toy. Pudge and Reave, do what you all do best. Scythe in hand, Wilhelm flings himself out of cover and rushes the cloud of drones.
Jul 13, 2016 9:35 pm
Sounds good to Serana. She charges the heavy. Why quibble when the tactics are sound?
Jul 15, 2016 8:47 pm
http://i.imgur.com/aknxbSC.png

Wilhelm and Serana rush the position and Reave advances from the other side. A classic pincer movement... that triggers a hitherto unseen turret. It rises from the ground, mirage field dissipating in a shimmering cloud of reflective nanites, and starts to spin up its main gun. This is some serious tech: it's definitely like nothing the League has ever used before.

Everyone roll Reactions! 11+ and you get to make your attack/action before the turret fires. 19+ and you get to make an action and automatically dodge the turret's fire!
Jul 16, 2016 3:24 am
Incoming!

Rolls

Reactions - (1D20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jul 16, 2016 10:27 am
"Damn! Where the hell did that thing come from?"

Rolls

Reactions - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Jul 16, 2016 11:29 am
OOC:
what's reaction again? Focus?

Rolls

Battle Stations! - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jul 16, 2016 12:51 pm
OOC:
Yeah, Focus or Agility, whichever is highest.
The turret is primed. Only Pudge, perhaps due to his familiarity with such tech, reacts before it.

Rolls

Reave's Reactions - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Jul 24, 2016 10:34 pm
OOC:
okay, so I want to go with the old "reprogram the turret" trick. I can do Disabling Virus to take it out completely, but it would be great if I could program it to shoot at the other guys.

Thoughts on how to go about this?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.