Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Feb 11, 2017 1:00 am
As Epril trails off at the end of her recounting, Pudge remains silent. He is seething, certainly, but not as a preamble to an explosive reaction. No, Pudge's fury at the insolence, the disrespect, the utter lack of comprehension of anything he or Serana has said... it is the fury of something deep and still. It is the power of ocean depths to crush, rather than that of a tsunami to wash away. It is not dramatic; it is resolute.

When he responds, his voice is calm and unwavering, in a way that is far more intimidating than it has any right to be, or would be if he were yelling profanities. "How dare you," he says as a statement, rather than a question. "You don't know anything about me or my father. You don't know anything about the sacrifice he made. But most importantly, you clearly have no idea what he'd be thinking if he were here instead of me. He would be standing up to you, just like we're doing, and the saddest part is that you still don't see why. You are closer to the creature that killed my father than you are to him. So, you just keep any mention of my father out of mouth, especially to justify your heinous and psychotic decision to murder civilians. That's what we're talking about here. Murder. Not casualties of war. Victims of a mass murderer. That's what you will be, Epril. Correction, that's what you are. You've already made the decision. And after we stop you, I'll make sure that history remembers you that way."

As Pudge is speaking, he is working quickly to stop the attempts to start up the firing system for the cannon. Once he finishes talking, he shifts the tram into gear and drives forward on the rails.
OOC:
moving the tram one space forward, to the intersection
Last edited February 11, 2017 1:47 am

Rolls

Shut down the nuke - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Feb 11, 2017 5:17 pm
As the train kicks up, Wilhelm immediately closes the distance to the balcony and makes his way up, ready to take the limbs off of anything that presents itself. He comes over the comms to Serana, "What parts of your sister are cybernetic? I need to know which limbs are fair game so as not to kill her before you get up here."
Feb 11, 2017 7:54 pm
"As far as I know.. lower legs, most of her left arm. But dont hold back on my account," Serana growls.

"Don't move just yet," Serana tells Reave more quietly, "Wilhelm is about to shake the hornets nest, so when the bugs show themselves we need to be ready to swat them."
Feb 12, 2017 4:43 pm
Pudge's anger is not the anger that burns beyond all reason, but the anger that calmly saunters up to reason and explains how to get results. His attack is unsubtle but devastating, brute-forcing defensive protocols as if they're not even there.

The announcement system kicks in: "Critical error. Start-up procedure paused. Lockdown initiated."

A sudden spike of activity tells Pudge that Epril's hacker is frantically trying to limit the damage. Their setup is in the far north of the chamber: they must be working remotely.

With Reave's help Serana spots the sniper from before: a woman with an imposing multipurpose rail rifle. She's the sole sniper, but by her side an armoured scarab drone stands watch: a six-legged all-terrain companion designed to act as a spotter and CQC support.

Engines roaring, more drones move into position above the tram. This trio aren't the tiny little recon machines the team encountered earlier. They're metal teardrops the size of a person, equipped with large ion drives and even larger weapons batteries. Military-grade hunter-killers. Pudge can trace the signal back to a controller on the floor to the north-west, a woman who has mental implants of her own, no doubt to better orchestrate the assaults of her machines.

Epril mutters into her communicator: "Loren, if your drones kill my sister I'm going to make you eat them. Set those things to stun. And that goes double for you, Zil."

Then she turns to give Wilhelm and Lyra her full attention. The three of them are the only occupants of the central hub, discounting the hacker's buzzing and clicking bypass units plugged into the terminals. Epril silently reaches down and pulls out a simple grey box.

"You're both familiar with antimatter grenades, yes?" Epril raises the device. "If this goes off it'll start a chain reaction that will take out the whole base, and as I've just said I'd much prefer that didn't happen. I wouldn't come any closer."
OOC:
The team gets to act first. Serana (and Reave) are still entitled to the free movement first too, assuming they want to use it. Lyra is accompanying Wilhelm and Reave is with Serana, I was just too lazy to add their icons to the map.
http://i.imgur.com/vvKd6LC.png

Rolls

Secret Roll

Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm
OOC:
Can I burn Brutalize to take off the arm holding the grenade?
Feb 12, 2017 6:16 pm
OOC:
Yeah, it's an encounter power so I'd say it's strong enough. She's a boss so you'll still need to roll a d20 to hit though.
Feb 12, 2017 6:57 pm
Wilhelm smiles and extends his scythe. "I always love a game with high stakes. I guess I'll just have to disarm you." Wilhelm rushes Epril and unleashes a barrage of furious attacks with Lyra in tow.
OOC:
Burning an edge to both brutalize and regular attack. Lyra slams. Forget what crits do, but Lyra adds 2d4.
Last edited February 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Rolls

brutalize - (1d20+5, 1d8+5)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d8+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

regular attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+5)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d8+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Lyra Extra Damage - (2d4)

(22) = 4

Feb 12, 2017 7:17 pm
"Agh. I didn't realise the hornets would be big and metal. Pudge can you take the HKs? We'll take the sniper." Serana grabs Reave and jumps for the walkway. When she lands, she immediately takes a swing at the sniper.
OOC:
Reave will use her psi on the sniper too

Rolls

mobility to gett o walkway, minus Reave penalty - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

melee! - (1d20+9, 1d10+9)

1d20+9 : (8) + 9 = 17

1d10+9 : (1) + 9 = 10

Feb 14, 2017 6:11 pm
Pudge has spent countless hours, sometimes days on end, honing his ability to seek out and exploit weaknesses in technical systems to a scalpel's edge. Right now, it seems the weakness is in a lack of redundancies in the controller systems of the drones. Glad my psi helps bolster my own implant defenses. Still, gotta learn to always bring a backup.
OOC:
Pudge is using Disabling Virus on the controlling mechanism for the drones. As I understand it, the drones will no longer be under the control of Loren. What they do when they're not being given orders, well, I guess we'll have to see.

Rolls

Sever Connections - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Feb 14, 2017 8:20 pm
The good news is that without Loren's link the HKs have poorer aim. The bad news is that without Loren's link they've no reason to use their less-lethal payloads. The drones sway for a moment, confused and bereft of guidance, then having apparently decided who is and isn't hostile they lock on to the tram and begin to pelt it with plasma bolts and micromissiles, blasting chunks out of its improvised armour. To her credit Loren immediately tries to seize back control but fails to overpower the virus on her first attempt.

The announcement system sounds again: "Firing sequence restarting." Epril's other tech expert must have been busy.

Serana barely makes the jump: she and Reave land heavily. The two women attack in unison, chipping away at the sniper's physical and mental defences. The scarab drone beeps irately and interposes itself between its master and the attackers, deploying a pair of sparking, crackling stun probes. Meanwhile the sniper has swapped her long rifle for a pair of pistols, taking photonic potshots at both Serana and Reave. The power setting is on minimum: she's obviously taken Epril's order-slash-threat about killing Serana to heart.

Wilhelm swings at Epril's hand... and misses: she's fast, pulling out of his reach. But he's faster, so he tries again, and again, and again, redoubled efforts that slice apart her prosthetic left arm. The grenade skitters across the floor.

Cursing, Epril reaches for her belt with her good hand and pulls out a phase sword. An impractically expensive vibroblade with a limited charge, it will nevertheless cleave through flesh and metal without distinction or effort. It can still be parried by other vibroblades, but armour offers no protection against it. This is demonstrated when Lyra darts in to attack, only for Epril to take a chunk out of the Arbiter's shoulder with a lazy riposte, sweeping away bone and plate. Lyra gasps and falls back.

Epril looks down at her bionic hand. She tries to flex it and one of the remaining fingers falls off. "Hmm. You want to know what's funny? That was just a concussion grenade. Well played."
OOC:
Epril HP 12/14, 1 Injury, EP ?/?

Sniper HP 5/7
Scarab HP 6/6

Hunter-Killer Drones: 9/9 [3 HP per unit]

CANNON FIRING SEQUENCE: 1/5

Every time the hacker passes a DC16 check, +1 to the firing sequence counter, +2 at DC21. Likewise Pudge can reverse it with the same DCs. In this case the hacker's second point was spent counteracting Pudge, who technically had set the counter to -1 with his earlier success.

Wilhelm HP 7/7, EP 2/3
Serana HP 5/6, EP 2/3
Pudge HP 7/8, EP 3/3

(Wilhelm is at full HP, but has lost the 2 bonus HP granted by Lyra.)

The tram has lost 2 HP, but the cover bonus is holding and Pudge avoided any significant harm.

The map is as before, only Serana has moved to the sniper's/scarab's tile.

Rolls

HK drones - (1d20+2, 2d8+6)

1d20+2 : (16) + 2 = 18

2d8+6 : (68) + 6 = 20

Sniper (pistols) - (1d20+4, 2d6+1)

1d20+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

2d6+1 : (25) + 1 = 8

Scarab drone (stun prod) - (1d20+2, 1d12)

1d20+2 : (16) + 2 = 18

1d12 : (5) = 5

Epril Physical save vs slam - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Epril melee attack - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Epril Melee damage - (1d12+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Loren's KNO check to reverse virus (DC19) - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Hacker's attempt to restart the firing sequence (DC22, will reduce with attempts) - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Feb 16, 2017 1:29 pm
Serana hears the announcement and the heavy fire from the drones and the total chaos of the situation hits her.

Taking a step away from the snipers drone Serana signals to Reave that she wants to send a psi message. "Pudge should we be rushing that hacker? I'm just thinking.. he can't do any hacking if we drive over there and chop his hands off."
OOC:
if I need to spend an action to do that I will
Feb 22, 2017 1:40 am
OOC:
We'll say no action is needed: seeing as the team has both Pudge and Reave I think it'd be splitting hairs to say that using telepathic communication should require action expenditure.
Feb 23, 2017 1:51 pm
"I'd say stopping the nuke is priority one. But, I'm no strategist, so I don't know the best way to do that. Getting rid of the hacker would certainly make that happen."
Feb 23, 2017 7:27 pm
"Yeah, I think we underestimated how fast he can work. I think me and Reave should disengage from the sniper and you can drive us down to the hacker as fast as the tram allows. Once we've taken him out, THEN we can worry about these other sideshows. And maybe see if Wilhelm needs a hand."
Feb 24, 2017 9:13 pm
Wilhelm smiled as Epril's arm fell to pieces, but was quickly washed away as Lyra was cleaved into. It now returns, a bloodthirsty grin as the crescendo of battle infects Wilhelm's mood. "Funny thing about the grenade, I just wanted to take your arm off to show I could. Now I'm going to take your legs, then I'm going to leave you lying here to watch as I kill your crew, turn off your gun, and come back to drag what's left of you to the better sister for her to decide what to do with you." Wilhelm takes a good look at the weapon in Epril's hand, analyzing her weak points and likely attack vectors. The strikes that follow are calculated and planed, but no less ferocious.
OOC:
Using Fool Me Once on the Sword. AAAAAAAAND OUCH!
Last edited February 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4, 1d8+4)

1d20+4 : (20) + 4 = 24

1d8+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Feb 25, 2017 12:46 am
OOC:
Oh wow. Must've made some sort of pact with the dice gods! Okay so if that's the HP-spend version of Fool Me Once, I'd say Wilhelm can use it (without spending any points, it's a crit after all) to disable the sword for 2 turns, but if you want to burn an EP and use the stronger version I'd say that disables Epril's phase sword indefinitely.

As for moving the tram, I'll repost that as a full action the tram can move 3 tiles + 1 tile for every 10 points rolled on a Tech check. So I guess driving Serana down to the other end of the map is feasible.
Feb 25, 2017 5:58 pm
OOC:
I'll definitely burn the sword permanently and hopefully take her legs off.
Feb 27, 2017 1:45 pm
After Pudge's short conversation with Serana (via Reave), he disengages the brake and throws the forward thrusters on full, just as he hears a loud thump on the roof. The two ladies swing themselves into the open side of the tram, and Pudge fiddles with the air intake controllers.

Rolls

Rocket boosters! - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Feb 28, 2017 10:27 am
The tram races off at dangerous speed and Serana and Reave jump up to the walkway the moment its within distance. Barely stopping to take in the situation, Serana's sword is already out and plunging towards the hacker.
OOC:
spending 1HP for the extra tile movement if that's not in my movement allowance

Rolls

mobility, minus Reave penalty - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

melee, with +1 Reave bonus - (1d20+9, 1d10+9)

1d20+9 : (19) + 9 = 28

1d10+9 : (4) + 9 = 13

Feb 28, 2017 4:08 pm
[ +- ] Map
Gunfire pours off the tram like rainfall as it speeds down the rails. The drones hold formation and pursue, their would-be commander growing more and more frustrated that she can't re-assume control.

Serana leaps to the fight with such unexpected speed and precision that the hacker can do absolutely nothing to stop her demolishing his remote-access deck. He sprawls backwards, scrabbling away as expensive chunks of circuitry fly everywhere.

Reave looks around, concerned. "I picked up seven minds when we first arrived," she broadcasts. "Three are still unaccounted for. Stay alert."

Epril is skilled. Had Wilhelm encountered her early in his career she might have been a problem. Might have.

Clasping her wound, Lyra takes a moment to catch her breath and looks on as sword meets scythe in a furious exchange of harmonic edges and keening motors.

Wilhelm ducks low, aiming for the Vigilante's knee, and Epril adeptly adjusts her stance to parry the swing. Unperturbed, Wilhelm spins back on the rebound, bringing the blade of his vibro-scythe down on to the edge of Epril's phase sword... hard. The two machines lock, power units noisily fighting each other in a slew of sparks.

At first it seems like Epril is about to disengage but with a supreme effort Wilhelm tears the scythe away, taking the phase sword with it. Epril's weapon flies off, cleaving through a railing on its way to the ground.

Epril watches it go. She shrugs. Then in one motion she pulls out another (much less impressive) sword and strikes with it, forcing Wilhelm to parry.
OOC:

Wilhelm HP 7/7, EP 1/3 (spent 1EP to make the sword's disable permanent)
Serana HP 4/6, EP 2/3 (spent 1HP to move a tile from the tram and reach the hacker)
Pudge HP 7/8, EP 3/3

Epril HP 10/14, 1 Injury, EP 2/3.

Hacker HP 7/7 (consumed his deck resource to avoid harm, so -3 to future Tech checks)

Drones HP 9/9 [3 per unit]

Epril burned an EP to avoid losing a leg. She would've burned one to avoid losing her sword too but tough break, can't spend more than 1 Edge in a turn

Rolls

HK drones - (1d20+2, 2d8+6)

1d20+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

2d8+6 : (21) + 6 = 9

Sniper (pistols) - (1d20+4, 2d6+1)

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

2d6+1 : (53) + 1 = 9

Loren's KNO check to reverse virus (DC19) - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Epril melee (with injury penalty/sword disabled) - (1d20+3, 1d8+5)

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

1d8+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.