General Discussion

load previous
Sep 5, 2015 3:53 pm
I may have missed something. Who is Victor?
Last edited September 5, 2015 3:53 pm
Sep 5, 2015 4:05 pm
szemely says:
I'm also wondering
Sep 5, 2015 4:12 pm
Naatkinson says:
szemely says:
I'm also wondering
Probably just a simple error. In the game I'm running, I accidently called one NPC "Stuart" and then flipped it mid game (Stuart was a complete different NPC).
Sep 5, 2015 4:13 pm
I'm thinking he probably meant Taft
Sep 5, 2015 5:40 pm
How well can I see down the stairs if I have dark vision?
Last edited September 5, 2015 5:42 pm
Sep 5, 2015 6:00 pm
Moofsalot says:
How well can I see down the stairs if I have dark vision?
Depends on the Darkvision... Apparently an Elf can see 60 feet in darkness as if it were dim light.
Sep 5, 2015 8:39 pm
Yes, you can also see in pitch black as though it were dim light. You simply can't discern colors, just shades of grey.
Sep 5, 2015 8:40 pm
teaanddice says:
Naatkinson says:
szemely says:
I'm also wondering
Probably just a simple error. In the game I'm running, I accidently called one NPC "Stuart" and then flipped it mid game (Stuart was a complete different NPC).
Shit my bad, Victor is a gnome character in another game I'm a player in. Lol. MY WORLDS ARE BLEEDING TOGETHER!
Sep 6, 2015 4:46 am
Did VictorTaft go down the stairs or is he still by the door?
Last edited September 6, 2015 4:47 am
Sep 6, 2015 4:48 am
PhantomNimbus says:
Shit my bad, Victor is a gnome character in another game I'm a player in. Lol. MY WORLDS ARE BLEEDING TOGETHER!
I've written entire posts in some of these games using characters from other games. :-)
Sep 6, 2015 6:09 am
Best part is the gnome that was here I was about to call Victor just to keep myself from screwing up gnome names. Lol.
Sep 6, 2015 7:53 am
The tooting was Crolwell using his instrument to convince the Half-Orc that Crolwell is completely sane. However, it probably just made him look crazier.
Sep 6, 2015 10:18 pm
Sorry I haven't updated much today. Family stuff most of labor day weekend. Limited posting time. I'll have a big post up later tonight.
Sep 8, 2015 5:43 am
Alright, posting should be regular again starting tomorrow. Labor Day weekend was crazy.
Sep 8, 2015 4:01 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Alright, posting should be regular again starting tomorrow. Labor Day weekend was crazy.
Yeah, I'm glad that posting wasn't more frequent. I was quite busy as well and would have missed out on a lot of posting opportunities.
Sep 9, 2015 1:19 pm
Besides using a feat or something, would you allow me to work towards proficiency in thieve's tools? I just realized that we have no rogue, and I'm probably the best fit for that role.

Edit: Also, what happens if one of our characters dies? Do we just get to roll up a new one? If so, I may go over to the character creation and make me a 2nd character, mostly for fun (and to be prepared)
Last edited September 9, 2015 1:57 pm
Sep 9, 2015 2:04 pm
The PHB has this to say on learning a new language or set of tools.

---------
Training
You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools. Your DM might allow additional training options.

First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required.

The training lasts for 250 days and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.
---------

So you can start learning to use thieves tools. Since I'm unsure how long this campaign will go for I'll cut the time down a bit. After 30 days, one month, you will be proficient in their use.

I have been trying to find the specific use of thieves tools, as well as proficiency in them. It looks like much of the agreement is that Thieves Tools are required to pick a lock. You can't really attempt without them. Being proficient in them allows you to add your proficiency bonus to dexterity checks when picking a lock. There aren't really greatly supported rules so far for trying to pick locks without them. If you follow the 3.5 rules if you don't have thieves tools you are at a -2 penalty for trying to improvise tools to pick locks. These same checks work for disabling traps too.

So to sum up:
Tools but no proficiency: d20+DEX
Tools with proficiency: d20+DEX+2
No tools (even if proficient with thieves tools): d20-2
Sep 9, 2015 2:09 pm
Awesome! Yeah, I have seen what the PHB says, but training is one thing that's usually highly dependent on the DM, so I wanted to make sure. Thank you!
Sep 9, 2015 2:12 pm
Naatkinson says:
Also, what happens if one of our characters dies? Do we just get to roll up a new one? If so, I may go over to the character creation and make me a 2nd character, mostly for fun (and to be prepared)
We're not going to die! We already got our 1 rolls out of the way, right? Everything will be fine!
Sep 9, 2015 2:14 pm
Yes if you die, you need a new character. But you have to fail three saving throws or take massive damage to be dead dead.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.