Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Sep 22, 2015 3:26 pm
"Well, I think we've hedged long enough. Kaiakas and I can lead the way in, gods know that his Shield saved my ass from that Worg back there. If no one has a better idea?"

OOC:barring any objections from the group, Corban will make his way through the hole in the wall...
Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Corban and Kaiakas scramble over the rubble making up the hole in the southern wall and make their way into the courtyard. The courtyard is of packed earth and has an eerie air of desolation. Jagged boulders embedded in the ground seem to have dropped here, or be thrown from a great distance; many of the walls bear large dents and cracks where the might have struck. Two massive skeletons lie opposite ends of the courtyard, one propped up by the watchtower and the other sprawled at the far end by a building that could be a stable. Under the rubble they just climbed over is a third massive skeleton, partially buried.

To your right is a squat building, its worn wooden door is closed. Ahead of you, across the courtyard, is a building the full width of the keep that looks to be a stable. On your left is larger building, probably the main keep, and there is a large hole knocked in the wall. With a brief glance you can make out some kind of wooden screen propped up between large boulders and the faint glow of what is probably a small fire coming from inside that building.

OOC: I'm just going to assume there are no objections
Sep 23, 2015 12:21 am
I follow and immediately scan the area for anything shiny that someone may have left behind. You never know!
Last edited September 23, 2015 12:28 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Sep 23, 2015 12:24 am
"Corban! Don't go in there alone!" Zaris says in as loud as a hushed voice as he dares. He quickly follows his friend through the hole, drawing his sword just in case.
Sep 23, 2015 8:51 am
Jorr follows in behind Zaris. He gives Rurik a gentle punch to urge him up the rubble and into the courtyard with the rest of the group.

Xara looks around, but sees nothing of value. You can smell the faint scent of meat charring coming from inside the building on your left.
Sep 23, 2015 11:25 am
I head towards the smell of meat.
Sep 23, 2015 11:34 am
Xara eagerly takes the lead and scrambles over the rubble and into the building on the left side. The interior of the building is spacious. Wooden timbers support the roof, and here and there are remains of what were once interior dividing walls. Two large boulders are on the floor near where you enter. Near there is a crude, damaged, wooden screen, behind which you can see a large bed. Against the west wall you can see four double beds lined up. Two of the beds are occupied by sleeping hobgoblins.

You can see that rubble, probably from the hole in the wall you clambered through, is piled up to make a crude fire pit in the north part of the room. There are two hobgoblins standing by the fire, their back to you, overcooking some game meat. A minotaur is sitting nearby, leaned up against the wall. Before you can react his eyes fix on you. He stands, grabbing the greataxe leaned up against the wall beside him and shouts, "Intruders!" The hobgoblins at the fire startle into action, spinning towards you and reaching for their blades. The sleeping hobgoblins slowly stir.

Combat! Player's win Initiative again, so you lot are up. It's a move action just to get over the rubble into the building, or a move action to go around and enter through the door (which would put you in combat with the two hobs by the fire). Once inside, a move action is sufficient to get into melee with whichever group you wish. Xara is already inside.
Sep 23, 2015 6:30 pm
Corban's eyes go wide at the sight of the Minotaur, but he quickly collects himself, climbs over the rubble and runs at the Minotaur, not wanting to give the beast room to charge with its nasty horns.
Sep 23, 2015 7:28 pm
"Hey buddy, you talking to me? Come at me, I dare you! I take several steps towards the group, draw my rapier and start waving it around Indiana Jones- style.

((Action: draw attention to me))
Last edited September 23, 2015 7:37 pm
Sep 23, 2015 7:59 pm
I join Corban across the rubble, sword and shield at the ready.
Sep 24, 2015 6:48 am
Corban and Kaiakas go toe to toe with the minotaur, who hefts an axe as large as Corban's chest and readies to attack. Xara catches the eye of the hobgoblins, who make to stride towards her.

Jorr steps inside the wall, standing in the rubble, and fires an arrow at the Hobgobiln's closing in on Xara. The arrow slams into the creatures shoulder.

Rurik and Zaris, you're up!
Sep 24, 2015 5:43 pm
Grunting and cursing as I pick my way across the rubble I look to see the combatants arrayed before me. My eyes flash with red energies as I point my finger at the Minotaur and for an eldritch blast at him.
OOC: did you know that gmail will sometimes just start dumping stuff to junk? Guess where my email alerts have been going!

Rolls

Eldritch Blast attack - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Second attack roll (if I have disadvantage because Minotaur is in melee) - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage! - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Sep 24, 2015 5:46 pm
Rurik fires a blast, but the rubble shifts under his feet and the bolt strikes the wall behind the minotaur.

OOC: not because of firing into melee, there's no penalty for that, but there is disadvantage for ranged attacks from the loose rubble! Also, that explains where you've been. Well, we've got a 6th player coming in as I was getting worried; on the plus side 6 will mean upcoming encounters can be a bit more mean; and we can stay active even if one player is on 'holiday' or only posting slowly
Sep 24, 2015 10:31 pm
Zaris quickly digs into his robes and takes out his vial of colored sand. He takes a hefty pinch, spilling some in his hast, and chants firmly in elvish before blowing the crystals towards the minotaur and hobgoblins. De'nareeth elrin zak'zoon!

Rolls

Casting color spray. - (6d10)

(233833) = 22

Sep 25, 2015 7:49 am
The crystals sparkle and glow, bursting into bright light as they near their targets. The two hobgoblins begin flailing about holding their eyes, with one hand and swinging their blades with the other. They continue flailing in Xara's direction, both swinging so wildly that the rogue is easily able to deflect and avoid their attacks.

While letting out a thunderous battlecry, the minotaur recklessly swings its greataxe at Corban, which the fighter nearly deflects. The blade bites into his armor and the force of impact leaves Corban reeling a bit.

The two hobgoblins on the beds stir awake at the sounds of battle and groggily roll themselves off the beds and grab their swords.

Hobgoblins miss horribly and are blind
Minotaur hits Corban for 13 damage
Sleeping hobgoblins are waking up

Attacks against the Minotaur have Advantage!

Corban and Kaiakas are engaged with the Minotaur
Xara is engaged with the two blind Hobgoblins

Rurik and Zaris and Jorr are hanging out on the loose rubble, which is a bit unstable and difficult to shoot from. Moving off of it, however, will mean moving into the melee with Xara, such is the dangers of tight quarters.

Party... go!
Sep 25, 2015 11:47 am
I slash my rapier at the closest hobgoblin and attempt to get around him and away from the second one who is still swinging like a drunken Corban. (Which is to say, very likely to hit me if he keeps going.)
Last edited September 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Attack! (#2 due to advantage) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Sep 25, 2015 5:40 pm
"Gods above, but that axe bites!" Corban takes a quick second for a breath, then assaults from behind his shield at the mighty horned beast.

OOC: attack , then bonus action:second wind

Rolls

Attack 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Attack w/advantage - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Damage with Longsword - (1d8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Second wind heals, d10+fighter level - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Sep 26, 2015 3:50 am
Seeing the minotaur as the greatest threat, I continue to focus fire on the giant beast.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage - (1d10+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Sep 26, 2015 8:59 am
Xara stabs at the hobgoblin, who had already been wounded by an arrow, and her dagger finds its mark. The hobgoblin missteps and falls forward into the rubble.

Corban's slash cuts across the minotaur's chest, leaving an impact mark in its breastplate. The creature bellows, it's eyes glowing red, and prepares to retaliate.

Rurik's blast arcs wildly and strikes the ceiling above the minotaur. A thin trail of dust trickles down from the impact point.

Jorr knocks and arrow and looses it at the other hobgoblin harassing Xara, but his foot slips under him and the shot goes wild.

Xara hits and kills. Corban hits for 12 Damage. Rurik misses. Jorr misses due to rubble.

Zaris and Kaiakas
Sep 27, 2015 10:59 pm
Keeping to my tactics as last time, I try protecting Corban next to me as I join him in attacking the minotaur.
[OOC: Fighting Style: Protection - give disadvantage to anyone attacking Corban as long as I am within 5 ft of him.]

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Damage - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.