Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 1, 2015 8:21 pm
Map of Elsir Vale

Map of Drellen's Ferry

You wake in the morning, having stayed at the Old Bridge (it was hard to turn down free room and board) and were served a hearty breakfast by the inn staff. As you are eating a messenger from Norro arrives and delivers a small bag of gold to each of you - 250 gold a piece, half up front as promised. The inn staff provide each of you with a care package of dried, salted meat and bread for the road. At least your first meal won't be stale rations.

Before long you've crossed the river and are preparing to head into the witchwood, when you are confronted with the first decision of the day: follow the Dawn Way, or take the Witch Trail.

(You are at the "I" on the top left of the map. The Dawn way continues West while the Witch Trail cuts south directly into the woods. You know little about the difference - except that the Witch Trail is less travelled, and that the Hobgoblins' efforts have been focussed on harassing travellers along the Dawn Way.)
Sep 2, 2015 11:32 am
I yawn and stretch before turning to the others. "The Witch Trail, then?"
Sep 2, 2015 1:57 pm
"I agree," Zaris replies. "My readings lead me to believe that it will offer the best protection for us. We should be able to take cover more readily; something we may very well need."
Sep 2, 2015 4:33 pm
"Very good Zaris. As much as we can hope for the best, it is often a wise course to prepare for the worst."
Sep 2, 2015 8:38 pm
"Let's start out straight away. Who knows what the weather will hold for us?" Zaris checks his shortsword one last time and then sheaths it in favor of his cross bow. He readies a bolt and readies for their march.
Sep 2, 2015 9:44 pm
Corban approaches the party, in something slightly above a stumble, but clearly impaired somehow. "Gods, is the sun usually this bright? Zaris don't you have something you can use to shield some of this blasted light?" Corban gives his head a shake, then seems to collect himself. "Witchwood then? i suppose avoiding the direct Hobbo activity is a good idea, I'm certainly not feeling up to a fight at this point."
Sep 2, 2015 10:38 pm
Seeing Corban's state, I walk behind him, tap him on the right shoulder and yell "Hey!" then step backwards towards his left, as sneakily as I can.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Sep 3, 2015 1:56 am
"Xara, please!" the wizard says with only the slightest hint of irritation. He shakes his head and chants a few words quietly in Elvish. Out of the air forms a one foot disc of grayish smoke that hovers just over Corban's head blocking as much as the sun as a simple prestidigitation spell can muster. The wizard smiles and looks back towards the dark wood up ahead.
Sep 3, 2015 2:21 am
Glad to not be on the receiving end of any teasing, I give a small smile to the Xara, Zaris, and Corban. "Yes, Corban, we'll be heading out soon. Has anyone seen Rurik?"
Sep 3, 2015 5:09 am
A foul stream of cursing precedes me as I join the rest of the group, "Great, more forests, I don't suppose we'd ever have to explore a more welcoming environment?" I mutter sourly, not willing to admit that I drank too much in my quest to get Corban good and hungover.
Sep 3, 2015 11:28 am
You follow the Witch Trail, a footpath that leads from the field's eventually north of Drellen's Ferry. When you reach the stream you follow it westwards, as Sorrana had recommended. The trail leads past a small cabin in a deep forest glade. A ramshackle front porch is littered with fishing baskets and skinning frames. The cabin overlooks a dark bayou or lake, with old gray cedar-trees draped in moss rising out of the water. An old skill is tied up on the shore nearby, and a little smoke curls from the fieldstone chimney.

Everyone gains Inspiration
Sep 3, 2015 3:09 pm
"Let's make sure we don't look threatening everyone," the wizard says looking the cabin over and following the curls of smoke high up into the morning air. "No sense in scaring anyone."
Sep 3, 2015 4:07 pm
"Very well Zaris, I'll keep my sword stowed for the time being. I'll go knock on the door, see who's home."
Corban approaches the door slowly, whether slowed by careful advance, or the too bright sun boiling the gnomish bitter in his blood, will still be debated by the Oghman priests in thousands of years.

OOC: Corban is taking his time in case anyone wants to protest or take up some specific positions before he knocks on the door...
Sep 3, 2015 5:11 pm
"Let us keep our weapons sheathed, but keep them on you. Better to be prepared just in case." A thought came to me as I was about to walk with everyone up to the cabin's door. "Perhaps one of us should go to the door while the rest of us stand back a bit. Zaris, you are right. Let's not scare anyone. Would you like to go to the door?"
Sep 3, 2015 6:12 pm
"Zaris does have that kindly elven look about him, perhaps he would be a better ambassador." Corban steps to the side and gives Zaris room to advance on the door.
Sep 3, 2015 8:44 pm
"Of course," Zaris says swinging his crossbow back onto his shoulder. He walks up to the door....
Last edited September 4, 2015 1:59 am
Sep 3, 2015 8:46 pm
"I dunno about that- he looks plenty dangerous to me!" I give him a wry grin, then motion him to go ahead. "By all means." I wait a few moments, then follow behind him.
Sep 3, 2015 9:48 pm
As Zaris approaches, but before he can get closer, a low growl comes from below the porch. In a flash of fur and fangs two large hunting dogs dart from beneath the porch. They stop with ten feet between themselves and Zaris and continue to growl and snap but do not advance closer.
Sep 4, 2015 1:59 am
Startled, Zaris tries his best not to look scared despite the fact that he is pretty sure he wet his undergarments. "Easy boys," he says in as calm and low a voice as possible. He slowly moves his arms out to his side, ready to grab his sword if need be.
Sep 4, 2015 2:02 am
A shutter over one of the cabin windows swings open and a grizzled man leans out, "Heel." He shouts and the dogs relax and retreat back to the cool shade under the porch.

The cabin's door opens, and a lean woodsman of indeterminate age steps onto the porch. He has a seamed, leathery look to his face and arms, and a big curved knife sits in a sheath strapped to one thigh. "Don't get many visitors out here," he rasps. "Who're you, and what do you want with me?"
Sep 5, 2015 12:34 am
"Go on then, Zaris!" I nudge him forward with my elbow.
Sep 5, 2015 11:22 am
"We mean no harm sir," Zaris says calmly. "I am Zaris, and these are my friends," he adds motioning behind him to the rest of the group. "We are traveling from Drellen's Ferry. A man by the name of Norro has asked for our help in sorting out the Hobgoblin problem that has been plaguing the area." he pauses, watching the dogs carefully but arms still well away from his weapons.

"We don't mean to trouble you at all, but if you have any information or advice, we would be most grateful," Zaris adds.
Sep 5, 2015 1:50 pm
The gruff man snorts and then spits, "Goblins. I hate em'." He folds his arms over his chest and fixes his gaze on Zaris. The weight of bears down on Zaris, "What do you need to know?"
Sep 5, 2015 5:05 pm
Despite the harsh gaze, Zaris feels slightly more at ease and relaxes ever so slightly, the tension in his shoulders subsiding. "We were told that they have been raiding up and down this area but no one is sure where their base camp is located. Do you have any idea where they may be hiding?"
Sep 5, 2015 5:09 pm
He shrugs, "I've seen worg riders and trouble makers up and down the Dawn Way all day. The goblin folk live up in the Wyrmsmokes, but it seems like there is a big ol' war party in the woods. Might be they came down Old Forest Road, might be they came by Skull Gorge. My gold's on Skull Gorge."
Sep 6, 2015 4:09 am
"Why don't you come kill some goblins with us? Could be fun."
Last edited September 6, 2015 4:09 am

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Sep 6, 2015 1:19 pm
A contemplative look crosses Zaris's face as he turns towards Corban. "What do you know of this Skull's Gorge Corban? Is it a place that we could enter without to much attention?" the wizard asks, hoping that the morning's march has cleared the drink from his friend's mind.
Sep 6, 2015 1:30 pm
"I hate goblins as much as the next woods dwelling man, but I can't just go risking my neck for the good of others." He ponders for a moment then says, "For 5 gold a day, I'm your man."
Sep 6, 2015 5:33 pm
"I know it sounds like a lovely vacation spot! I feel like I might have heard something about it..." Corban digs deep trying to remember something.

"Either way, I'll bet we'd find trouble at skull gorge"

OOC: can I try a history or INT check to see if I can remember anything about the gorge?

Rolls

History +4, INT+2 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Sep 6, 2015 5:49 pm
The Skull Gorge is a stone bridge along the Dawn Way that is flanked by watchtowers. The bridge is the largest crossing of the Elsir River. The only other way across is along Old Forest Road, but that's a difficult crossing if the river is running high.
Sep 7, 2015 9:16 pm
Turning to the others, Zaris whispers "This seems like a good idea. I'll pay his fee out of my own share if it means having someone a bit more...combat ready then myself." he shrugs meekly and looks back at Jorr.
Sep 7, 2015 10:29 pm
"5 gold a day is a reasonable price to have someone along who knows a little more of the terrain. When can you be ready to leave? "
Sep 8, 2015 12:03 am
"Moments." At that, Jorr turns, goes into the house and returns a moment later with a longsword in a sheath on his hip, a longbow over his shoulder and a quiver packed with arrows slung over the other, "We can leave as soon as you are ready. Where did you want to go?"
Sep 8, 2015 3:55 am
"To Skull Gorge!" As the leader of this group, I am glad that they have followed my advice and my example. We may survive whatever comes after all!
Sep 8, 2015 3:59 am
Corban has a quizzical expression and leans over to Zaris and asks in a loud whisper. "She's our leader now? How drunk was I last night?"
Sep 8, 2015 5:21 am
I raise an eyebrow and slowly turn my head to look at Xara. "I believe we can speak for ourselves." I say flatly with a small smile that dirdn't reach my silver eyes.
Sep 8, 2015 12:17 pm
I raise my eyebrows at him. "You have any objections, Kaiakas? Speak your mind. If not, then we should keep moving unless you have better things to do?"
Sep 9, 2015 12:25 am
I look away, forward toward our new guide. "You do not speak for me." I almost end my sentence by calling her a thief, but cut myself off as to not offend her. I want to keep the group working together, not at each other's throats.
Sep 9, 2015 12:35 am
"Well." Jorr says, acting as if the infighting wasn't happening, "If we're headed to Skull Gorge the surest path is down the Witch Trial until it connects back up with the Dawn Way, then taking the Dawn Way to the bridge over the gorge. Probably safer than taking the trail most of the way, and we'll have to pass Vraath Keep on the Dawn Way if we take the route I suggest. Might find some goblins holed up in there on the way past. If I were to set up camp somewhere in this wretched woods, and didn't have my cabin already, the keep is where I'd start."
Sep 9, 2015 1:41 am
Ready to move on with our business and be done with petty issues, I quickly step forward. "If you would lead the way then, Jorr." I will follow the man and not look back.
Sep 9, 2015 2:10 am
"Yes, please lead on." Zaris says. He walks back towards Xara and smiles. "In the name of civility, I would suggest you tone down your....forwardness slightly. Kaiakas is anything if proud and he does have a point; we all can speak for ourselves." He looks at the rogue hoping for some sign of agreement.
Sep 9, 2015 3:19 am
"Zaris, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we all in agreement here? We're gonna kill a bunch of goblins and save the town, right? And now we have a guide and a direction. That's not too shabby. And for the record, I didn't tell anyone what to think or say. Kaiakas or anyone else is free to disagree or make other suggestions whatever they want." What the hell? I make all these smart decisions and all of a sudden these people are mad that they didn't think of them first? Really?
Sep 9, 2015 3:31 am
After spending much of the trip so far lost in thought and paranoia due to the woods, I perk up at mention of the keep, "Finally, a place away from the blasted trees, lets go! And Kaiakas, the lass did a fine job leading us when we were trapped in those caverns afore I met you." Fixing said lass with a level stare, "long as her preference for frivolity won't get us in trouble, again"
Sep 9, 2015 4:00 am
"Aye." Jorr says, hopping off the deck and heading down the trail, "This way. We'll cut down the road a bit and avoid crossing the small river here on the Dawn Way. Another path along the Witch Trail winds around it and cuts back to the main road just by Vraath Keep. Should only be an hour or so. Hopefully you're still friendly with each other when we arrive." He winks and heads off.

It's difficult to keep up with him, as he moves almost effortlessly through the overgrown path, thickets and occasional marshy passage that is more muck than pathway. But, eventually, the woods give way and you find yourself standing again on the main road. Decently well kept, and relatively well travelled. The Dawn Way here isn't as wide as it was in the open fields between Brindol and Drellen's Ferry, but it's still wide enough for a wagon to comfortably fit.

Looming out of the woods ahead is a haunting sight-- a ruined keep. The old castle sits on a small rocky hillock, and you can catch glimpses of a broken tower between the trees. A moss-covered stone at the side of the road you are following marks a footpath that looks like it leads up to the keep.

"There she is. Vraath Keep." Jorr gestures up at the old ruined fort.
Sep 9, 2015 4:19 am
"If that building isn't lousy with goblins, I'll eat my boot." Corban lies easily to the others, and loosens his sword in its scabbard. "We should tread carefully. I've seen the traps those beasts can put together, ugly stuff. Or was that Kobolds?" He glances at Zaris, then shakes his head.

"We might want to scout it out is all, what you say Jorr, are there any good approaches where we might get a look at this place from a bit of a distance? Well, closer than this, of course."
Sep 9, 2015 10:10 am
The trip to the keep soothes my agitation to the point that I feel guilty for being so gruff with Xara ... slightly guilty.
Perhaps Rurik is rubbing off on me more than I realize.
After hearing Corban mention traps, I turn to Xara with eyes softer than last she looked at my face. "Perhaps someone with great skill can scout ahead to see what lies in store for us?"
Sep 9, 2015 12:42 pm
"'fraid not. That tower is the highest ground in the whole forest. Options are limited. You could walk up this path, or scramble up the brush along the slope. The slope will take longer, but you might remain hidden."
Sep 9, 2015 1:29 pm
"I got this. Easy." I dart forward, quickly moving alongside the main road and and hoping to obscure my approach towards the keep. I move silently and keep an eye out for anyone or anything.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(17) + 7 = 24

Perception - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Sep 9, 2015 5:01 pm
Xara vanishes into the brush and you quickly lose track of her as she makes her way up the hill. Twenty minutes go by without her returning and Jorr informs you that she's probably just made it to the top. While the path is a short hike, the hillside is dense with undergrowth and thick with trees. It would take some effort to scramble up that, and even more to do so quietly.

As Xara crests the top of the hill, after a twenty minute scramble, she sees that the old keep is in poor repair. The gatehouse is partially collapsed as is a section of the wall to the south. A small wooden building sits next to the remains of a long-abandoned garden in front of the structure. The walls surrounding the keep are about fifteen feet high, with a two-story tower looming in the southwest corner of the courtyard within. Large boulders lie strewn amid the ruins of the two watch towers, and a massive humanoid skeleton slumps amid the ruins of the northern one. The skeleton still wears tattered fragments of hide armor, and a large clubs lies next to one of its bony arms. Xara's keen eyes notice a thin plume of smoke rising from the southern section of the keep.
Sep 9, 2015 6:02 pm
I edge closer to the southern wall in the hopes that I can peek in and see if there are any obvious signs of lookouts, guards, bands of roving goblins or anything else of interest. I'm feeling especially inspired by Kaiakas' faith in my ability to scout undetected.

((ooc- is inspiration a reroll? I've included another one just to be safe.))
Last edited September 9, 2015 6:06 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Stealth (just in case) - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Using inspiration - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Stealth (attempt #2) - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Sep 9, 2015 6:09 pm
Vraath Keep Map
(you are located at the ruined portion of wall on the south side, peering into the courtyard)

You creep up to the knocked out portion of the southern wall into the courtyard. The courtyard is hard-packed earth and has an eerie air of desolation. Jagged boulders embedded in the ground seem to have dropped here, or were thrown from a great distance; many of the walls bear large dents and cracks where these boulders might have once struck. Two massive skeletons lie at opposite ends of the courtyard, one propped up by the watchtower and the other sprawled at the far end by a building that could be a stable. To the south, where a section of the keep's outer wall has collapsed, a third giant skeleton lies partially buried in the rubble.

Your keen eyes notice that there are fresh tracks in the courtyard, leading into and out of the ruined front gate on the east side.
Sep 9, 2015 6:39 pm
I head back to the group and report on what I've seen. "I didn't see any obvious problems up ahead, but we should check out the smoke. What do YOU think Kaiakas?" I give him a big smile and when he's not looking I turn to Zaris and give him two thumbs up. Civility! See, I can be civil!
Sep 9, 2015 7:03 pm
I roll my eyes but smirk when I think no one can see. If I had a younger sister, I imagine she would be a welcomed thorn in my side like Xara was being right now. "What smoke, Xara? Was it more like a cooking fire or like a building on fire?"
Sep 9, 2015 9:34 pm
Zaris rolls his eyes at Xara. "Xara, I meant no disrespect; we are all under strain here and want to ensure that we continue to work well together, that is all." The wizard smiles back at Xara and laughs hoping to break the tension between the two of them.

He follows the rest of the group up to the keep, with great caution. Zaris looks nervously around him. It seems to quiet here.

While the others pull back from the opening Zaris approaches the eastern edge and looks in closer at the courtyard, eyeing the skeletons suspiciously. Looking for any signs of animated life he chants a few words in elvish and creates a quick shower of sparks ten feet in from the edge to see if they trigger any movement in the bones.

OOC: Casting prestidigitation.
Last edited September 10, 2015 10:43 am
Sep 10, 2015 1:02 am
"You tell me- it was right over there." I point towards where I saw it.
Sep 10, 2015 10:21 am
I turn toward where she points, noting the thin smoke. "Ah, yes."
[OOC: yeah, now that we're up here I suppose. :p ]
"Could be a small cooking fire or something larger that's been neglected." I think for a moment, squinting at the keep. "Were there any windows we could see into?"
Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm
"I took the path over there towards that crumbling wall but I didn't see much other than some footprints leading to the gate. We could try sneaking in through the crumbled wall. If we don't want to be seen we could hide behind rocks on our way up. Or, you know, just run screaming towards the front gate and see who responds."
Sep 11, 2015 11:58 am
The sparks briefly fill the courtyard, and a tense moment passes in which nothing happens. The thin plume smoke continues to rise, and nothing moves in or into the courtyard. As you talk, however, the more attentive and perceptive of you hear the sounds of idle conversation and shuffling heavy footfalls as someone, or something, makes its way up the path behind you.

(The perceptive are those with Passive Perception 13+; which is at least Xara, but may also be others. I didn't check)
Sep 11, 2015 12:45 pm
Oblivious to my immediate surroundings, I ponder with Xara beside me. "No, no. Walking up to a place like this without knowing what or who is there wouldn't be wise."
[OOC: Alas, my passive perception (10+perception, right?) is only 11.]
Sep 11, 2015 7:47 pm
"Shush! Everyone! Quiet!" Zaris says in a loud whisper holding up his arm. "Do you hear that?!" He spins around and looks down behind the group.
Sep 11, 2015 11:16 pm
"Yeah, just a bunch of other people talking. What about it? I look in the same direction as Zaris.
Sep 12, 2015 3:51 am
"huh? I didn't hear anything, voices behind us? What's the deal Jorr, do many people travel this path for fun?" Corban draws his sword and readies his shield before placing himself between the voices and the party.
Sep 12, 2015 6:43 am
"Rumours are that the keep is haunted, that probably keeps most travellers and curious adventurers away." Jorr says, unsheathing his bow, and stringing it.

Moments later, two hobgoblins mounted on large thick furred wolves (in fact, worgs) on their way up to the keep round the bend. They were engaged in a conversation, on laughed heartily in the moment before they see you. Upon seeing you, one of them lets out a scream, its mount matching with a blood curdling howl, and both draw their swords.

Battle! You guys are first. You are located at the right edge of the map on the path, the hobgoblins and their mounts are off the map further along the path, about 20 feet from Corban. Everyone is just behind Corban. One move action could get you as far as the crumbling keep gates, should you want to go that way.
Sep 12, 2015 5:56 pm
I run into the woods and disappear from their field of vision. Hopefully my compatriots will keeps these guys too busy for them to keeps tabs on where I am.

(Ooc- bonus action "hide")

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Sep 12, 2015 7:33 pm
Moving beside Corban, I ready my sword and shield as I expect the hobgoblins to charge on their mounts. When they charge us, I will strike and side step so they don't run over me.
[OOC: Fighting Style - Protection to give disadvantage to anyone attacking Corban as long as I am within 5 ft of him.]

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Attack - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Damage - (1d8+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Critical damage - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Sep 12, 2015 9:16 pm
Corban steels himself at the sight of more hobgoblins. As Kaiakas walks up along side him Corban looks over and gives him a nod, any differences in philosophies set aside for the coming battle. He readies himself for the first unfortunate hobgoblin to come within range.

OOC :taking a 5 foot step forward, and readying an attack for the first hobgoblin to come in range. I'll roll it now for good measure.

Rolls

Attack 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1D8+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Sep 13, 2015 11:15 pm
Can't I have just ten minutes to sit and think?!" Zaris turns and follows Xara into the cover of the woods while frantically pulling his crossbow from his back. His first priority is to hide. He crouches down low in the trees while slowly loading a bolt into the crossbow.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Sep 14, 2015 8:52 am
Jorr knocks an arrow and fires it at one of the mounted hobgoblins. The arrow grazes the creatures shoulder. It howls, pointing its longsword forward and both of them charge.
Sep 14, 2015 9:03 am
The mounted hobgoblins charge Corban and Kaiakas, who stand together blocking the pathway. As they approach, Corban swings and his blade slams into the mounted hobgoblin nearest him, shattering its wooden shield from the force of impact and breaking its forearm. Kaiakas swings at the other mounted hobgoblin, stepping aside to avoid the bulk of the worg as he does so. His blade collides with the goblins own and there is a loud 'shink' as Kaikas' weapon breaks the rusted steel of the goblin's blade and cuts through its chest plate.

The worgs leap at Kaiakas and Corban, their massive paws outstretched. Kaiakas' maneuver neatly locates him out of the worgs path and avoids the attack. He steps beside Corban and bashes the second worg with his shield as it lunges, saving Corban from the heavy attack.

The two hobgoblins, not quite dead, make the best of their circumstance. The one with the broken arm holds his sword firmly in the other and swings it at Kaiakas, but the attack lacks power and is easily deflected. The other draws a longbow and fires an arrow at Jorr but the woodsman had already relocated.

In the flurry of battle, none of the combatants paid any heed to either Zaris or Xara.

Kaiakas hits as does Corban (each a different hobgoblin)
Jorr misses, but barely

Worgs miss, thanks to the Fighting Style
Hobgoblin 1 (broken arm)

Zaris and Xara are hidden. Both gain Advantage on their next attack.

Rurik, you can take two turns.
Sep 14, 2015 2:31 pm
Seeing his chance, Zaris takes careful aim at the hobgoblin with the broken arm and lets loose his bolt.

Rolls

cross bow shot. - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Sep 14, 2015 3:27 pm
The bolt strikes the hobgoblin in the chest and he falls off his mount and lays still on the ground.
Sep 14, 2015 5:14 pm
I charge out of the woods and head towards the injured hobgoblin, slashing at it wildly.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Advantage on Attack! - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Sep 14, 2015 6:19 pm
I snap back to reality from my patron summoning my consciousness to his fell den, looking around I see combat errupting all around me. Seeing the worgs as the biggest threat, I launch eldritch energies at them.

Rolls

Attack the first - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage from first attack - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Attack 2: Electric Bugaloo - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Damage #2 - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Sep 14, 2015 6:41 pm
Corban is momentarily stunned as Kaiakas' shield blocks the Worg's attack at the last minute. That was close. He thinks to himself as well as making a mental note to thank the Paladin later. He barely has time to register that the Hobgoblin he'd struck went down with a bolt to the chest before he's engaged with the Worg once more. He stabs a few times, testing the great Wolf's defences before stepping into a more committed strike.

Rolls

(3) + 5 = 8

Damage w/ Longsword - (1D8+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm
Xara's wild attack misses as the worg twists to get his rider out of the way of her attack. Rurik's blasts strike the ground around the worg's, but fail to hit their mark. Corban swings at the worg, but the creature, now unhindered by its rider, is very agile and evades the steel of the fighter's blade.
Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm
Jorr knocks an arrow an looses it at the remaining hobgoblin. The arrow deflects off the creatures shield.

Kaiakas is up, then bad guys

Rolls

Bow attack - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Bow damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Sep 16, 2015 9:54 am
Both worgs press in on Corban, but aggressive attacks of the large wolves are easy to predict and avoid compared to the complex tactics of a humanoid combatant. Corban easily keeps out of the way of their large claws and vicious bites. The hobgoblin swings his longsword as his worg leaps passed Corban, but the blade deflects of Corban's own.

Both Worgs and the Hobgoblin attack Corban and miss. That 18 AC is doing you well this battle!

Everyone is up, Kaiakas gets 2 consecutive turns.

Everyone in melee is engaged in the melee (that is, engaged with both worgs and the mounted hobgoblin). Everyone not in melee (Zaris, Jorr and Rurik) are not engaged with anything.
Sep 16, 2015 2:28 pm
Finding an opportunity, Corban stabs again at the Worg he tried to hit previously.

Rolls

(11) + 5 = 16

(6) + 5 = 11

Sep 17, 2015 12:42 pm
No time like the present! Zaris muses as he draws his sword and charges at the warg adding his blade to Corban's. Corban! he shouts. "I'me here to aid you! The wizard isn't quite sure why he feels that he can take on such a hideous beast with his sword but something inside him causes him to well with confidence.

Rolls

short sword attack - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

advantage roll using inspiration point - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

damage - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 17, 2015 1:18 pm
Corban's blade cuts into the wolf's haunch as it tries to turn and attend to the paladin moving towards its flank. Zaris, on the other hand, severs off a clump of fur, but the wolf doesn't even notice his feeble attack.

Corban hits for 11 Damage. Zaris misses.
Rurik, Kaiakas (2 turns), Xara
Sep 17, 2015 1:45 pm
My vision blurs shortly before firing off the previous shots, I shake my head to clear it and spit out some of the foul soulstuff that always coats my mouth after communing with my patron. Vision cleared I aim anew at one of the worgs

Rolls

Eldritch blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Eldritch Damage - (1d10+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Sep 17, 2015 6:31 pm
As I move behind the worgs, I strike at them, hoping to divide their attention between Corban and myself.

Rolls

Attacking Worg 1 - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage to Worg 1 - (1d8+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Attacking Worg 2 - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Damage to Worg 2 - (1d8+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Sep 18, 2015 4:26 am
I try again, slashing at the last remaining hobgoblin.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Sep 18, 2015 8:41 am
Kaiakas' slashes at the first wolf and circles around the other, driving his blade into the second one. The worg lets out a yelp and turns on him.

Xara plunges her blade into the hobgoblins throat. It stutters for a moment before falling limp and out of its saddle.

Jorr looses an arrow at the worg Kaiakas has his blade in, the arrow strikes it in the head and the beast dies in an instant.
Sep 18, 2015 8:42 am
The remaining worg lets out a quick howl and leaps back from its surrounding foes, looking to flee down the path.

Attack of Opportunity from Kaiakas, Xara, Corban and Zaris
Sep 18, 2015 9:44 am
"Oh no you don't!" Taking advantage of the opening in the worg's defenses, I strike at the beast. Before it gets out of reach, I shout to the rest of the group "Don't let it get away! It mustn't warn any of its kind or its masters!"

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Sep 18, 2015 1:04 pm
"Let me!"

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Sep 18, 2015 8:29 pm
As quickly as he can Zaris loads another bolt into his crossbow and sends it flying down the path towards the fleeing warg.

Rolls

crossbow - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Sep 18, 2015 8:32 pm
"You think so do you?" Corban slashes at the fleeing Worg.

Rolls

(7) + 5 = 12

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1d8+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Sep 19, 2015 7:03 am
Xara gets a good chunk of worg with her dagger as it turns to flee. Zaris' crossbow bolt strikes a tree, and Corban and Kaiakas hit nothing but air. The worg, injured but not dead, vanishes into the woods and flees down the hill and away from the keep.

Combat is over
Sep 19, 2015 2:02 pm
*sigh* "I suppose we'll just have to pray that worg doesn't bring back any help." I clean my blade before returning to Xara. "Now, where were we?"
Sep 19, 2015 3:18 pm
"Hopefully we didn't alert everyone inside the keep... Maybe the charge in screaming plan will work after all."
Sep 19, 2015 4:07 pm
"As long as they're the ones who are screaming, I'm game."
Sep 21, 2015 5:51 pm
"So I think we'll need to get into the keep, if only because it will be more defensible if that Worg brings back reinforcements. I don't think Kai, Rurik or myself will be much for sneaking, but maybe the the rest of you could find a decent vantage while we make noise moving in through the wall?"
Sep 21, 2015 5:55 pm
Zaris nods in agreement. "Yes, we really should get out of site. But I also don't want us to get trapped in their surrounded by hostiles should they return." He rubs his chin thoughtfully for a moment. "Jorr, how many outposts are in this area that would support a band of raiders?
Sep 21, 2015 8:49 pm
Jorr shrugs, "Depends how many you need to house. Really though, this is the biggest and most secure location in the woods."
Sep 21, 2015 9:04 pm
"And yet, there doesn't seem to be any sign of a force of any size staying here. Why is that..." I say the last part as mor rhetorical as I stare at what seems to be our next destination.
Sep 21, 2015 10:24 pm
"Maybe we're in the wrong place? Should we keep moving?"
Last edited September 21, 2015 10:25 pm
Sep 21, 2015 10:27 pm
Jorr shoulders his bow, "I'm just the guide. Tell me where you want to go and I'll take you there." He points to the thin trail of smoke rising up from the central keep between the two towers, "That's a sign that someone's home."
Sep 22, 2015 1:59 am
"Oh yeah, that. Should we check it out? Could be another helpful guide for all we know!
Sep 22, 2015 3:26 pm
"Well, I think we've hedged long enough. Kaiakas and I can lead the way in, gods know that his Shield saved my ass from that Worg back there. If no one has a better idea?"

OOC:barring any objections from the group, Corban will make his way through the hole in the wall...
Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Corban and Kaiakas scramble over the rubble making up the hole in the southern wall and make their way into the courtyard. The courtyard is of packed earth and has an eerie air of desolation. Jagged boulders embedded in the ground seem to have dropped here, or be thrown from a great distance; many of the walls bear large dents and cracks where the might have struck. Two massive skeletons lie opposite ends of the courtyard, one propped up by the watchtower and the other sprawled at the far end by a building that could be a stable. Under the rubble they just climbed over is a third massive skeleton, partially buried.

To your right is a squat building, its worn wooden door is closed. Ahead of you, across the courtyard, is a building the full width of the keep that looks to be a stable. On your left is larger building, probably the main keep, and there is a large hole knocked in the wall. With a brief glance you can make out some kind of wooden screen propped up between large boulders and the faint glow of what is probably a small fire coming from inside that building.

OOC: I'm just going to assume there are no objections
Sep 23, 2015 12:21 am
I follow and immediately scan the area for anything shiny that someone may have left behind. You never know!
Last edited September 23, 2015 12:28 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Sep 23, 2015 12:24 am
"Corban! Don't go in there alone!" Zaris says in as loud as a hushed voice as he dares. He quickly follows his friend through the hole, drawing his sword just in case.
Sep 23, 2015 8:51 am
Jorr follows in behind Zaris. He gives Rurik a gentle punch to urge him up the rubble and into the courtyard with the rest of the group.

Xara looks around, but sees nothing of value. You can smell the faint scent of meat charring coming from inside the building on your left.
Sep 23, 2015 11:25 am
I head towards the smell of meat.
Sep 23, 2015 11:34 am
Xara eagerly takes the lead and scrambles over the rubble and into the building on the left side. The interior of the building is spacious. Wooden timbers support the roof, and here and there are remains of what were once interior dividing walls. Two large boulders are on the floor near where you enter. Near there is a crude, damaged, wooden screen, behind which you can see a large bed. Against the west wall you can see four double beds lined up. Two of the beds are occupied by sleeping hobgoblins.

You can see that rubble, probably from the hole in the wall you clambered through, is piled up to make a crude fire pit in the north part of the room. There are two hobgoblins standing by the fire, their back to you, overcooking some game meat. A minotaur is sitting nearby, leaned up against the wall. Before you can react his eyes fix on you. He stands, grabbing the greataxe leaned up against the wall beside him and shouts, "Intruders!" The hobgoblins at the fire startle into action, spinning towards you and reaching for their blades. The sleeping hobgoblins slowly stir.

Combat! Player's win Initiative again, so you lot are up. It's a move action just to get over the rubble into the building, or a move action to go around and enter through the door (which would put you in combat with the two hobs by the fire). Once inside, a move action is sufficient to get into melee with whichever group you wish. Xara is already inside.
Sep 23, 2015 6:30 pm
Corban's eyes go wide at the sight of the Minotaur, but he quickly collects himself, climbs over the rubble and runs at the Minotaur, not wanting to give the beast room to charge with its nasty horns.
Sep 23, 2015 7:28 pm
"Hey buddy, you talking to me? Come at me, I dare you! I take several steps towards the group, draw my rapier and start waving it around Indiana Jones- style.

((Action: draw attention to me))
Last edited September 23, 2015 7:37 pm
Sep 23, 2015 7:59 pm
I join Corban across the rubble, sword and shield at the ready.
Sep 24, 2015 6:48 am
Corban and Kaiakas go toe to toe with the minotaur, who hefts an axe as large as Corban's chest and readies to attack. Xara catches the eye of the hobgoblins, who make to stride towards her.

Jorr steps inside the wall, standing in the rubble, and fires an arrow at the Hobgobiln's closing in on Xara. The arrow slams into the creatures shoulder.

Rurik and Zaris, you're up!
Sep 24, 2015 5:43 pm
Grunting and cursing as I pick my way across the rubble I look to see the combatants arrayed before me. My eyes flash with red energies as I point my finger at the Minotaur and for an eldritch blast at him.
OOC: did you know that gmail will sometimes just start dumping stuff to junk? Guess where my email alerts have been going!

Rolls

Eldritch Blast attack - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Second attack roll (if I have disadvantage because Minotaur is in melee) - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage! - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Sep 24, 2015 5:46 pm
Rurik fires a blast, but the rubble shifts under his feet and the bolt strikes the wall behind the minotaur.

OOC: not because of firing into melee, there's no penalty for that, but there is disadvantage for ranged attacks from the loose rubble! Also, that explains where you've been. Well, we've got a 6th player coming in as I was getting worried; on the plus side 6 will mean upcoming encounters can be a bit more mean; and we can stay active even if one player is on 'holiday' or only posting slowly
Sep 24, 2015 10:31 pm
Zaris quickly digs into his robes and takes out his vial of colored sand. He takes a hefty pinch, spilling some in his hast, and chants firmly in elvish before blowing the crystals towards the minotaur and hobgoblins. De'nareeth elrin zak'zoon!

Rolls

Casting color spray. - (6d10)

(233833) = 22

Sep 25, 2015 7:49 am
The crystals sparkle and glow, bursting into bright light as they near their targets. The two hobgoblins begin flailing about holding their eyes, with one hand and swinging their blades with the other. They continue flailing in Xara's direction, both swinging so wildly that the rogue is easily able to deflect and avoid their attacks.

While letting out a thunderous battlecry, the minotaur recklessly swings its greataxe at Corban, which the fighter nearly deflects. The blade bites into his armor and the force of impact leaves Corban reeling a bit.

The two hobgoblins on the beds stir awake at the sounds of battle and groggily roll themselves off the beds and grab their swords.

Hobgoblins miss horribly and are blind
Minotaur hits Corban for 13 damage
Sleeping hobgoblins are waking up

Attacks against the Minotaur have Advantage!

Corban and Kaiakas are engaged with the Minotaur
Xara is engaged with the two blind Hobgoblins

Rurik and Zaris and Jorr are hanging out on the loose rubble, which is a bit unstable and difficult to shoot from. Moving off of it, however, will mean moving into the melee with Xara, such is the dangers of tight quarters.

Party... go!
Sep 25, 2015 11:47 am
I slash my rapier at the closest hobgoblin and attempt to get around him and away from the second one who is still swinging like a drunken Corban. (Which is to say, very likely to hit me if he keeps going.)
Last edited September 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Attack! (#2 due to advantage) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Sep 25, 2015 5:40 pm
"Gods above, but that axe bites!" Corban takes a quick second for a breath, then assaults from behind his shield at the mighty horned beast.

OOC: attack , then bonus action:second wind

Rolls

(9) + 5 = 14

Attack w/advantage - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Damage with Longsword - (1d8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Second wind heals, d10+fighter level - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Sep 26, 2015 3:50 am
Seeing the minotaur as the greatest threat, I continue to focus fire on the giant beast.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage - (1d10+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Sep 26, 2015 8:59 am
Xara stabs at the hobgoblin, who had already been wounded by an arrow, and her dagger finds its mark. The hobgoblin missteps and falls forward into the rubble.

Corban's slash cuts across the minotaur's chest, leaving an impact mark in its breastplate. The creature bellows, it's eyes glowing red, and prepares to retaliate.

Rurik's blast arcs wildly and strikes the ceiling above the minotaur. A thin trail of dust trickles down from the impact point.

Jorr knocks and arrow and looses it at the other hobgoblin harassing Xara, but his foot slips under him and the shot goes wild.

Xara hits and kills. Corban hits for 12 Damage. Rurik misses. Jorr misses due to rubble.

Zaris and Kaiakas
Sep 27, 2015 10:59 pm
Keeping to my tactics as last time, I try protecting Corban next to me as I join him in attacking the minotaur.
[OOC: Fighting Style: Protection - give disadvantage to anyone attacking Corban as long as I am within 5 ft of him.]

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Damage - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 28, 2015 1:36 am
Zaris moves quickly to Xara's side and lets a stream of ice fly from his fingers at one of the blinded hobgoblins. Xara, watch my back!" he says.

Rolls

Ray of frost - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Sep 28, 2015 7:32 am
Kaiakas slashes the minotaur, striking the very point in the armour that Corban dented. The creature bellows again and turns its fury towards the paladin. The mintotaur shoves his heavy axe towards Kaiakas, but the paladin drops his shield and deflects the impact of the attack.

Zaris' ray strikes the hobgoblin in the face and it squeels in pain and fear, flailing its sowrd vigorously towards Xara, an attack that Xara deftly evades.

The two other hobgoblins, having scrambled from their beds, drop their swords onto the bed beside them and grab their bows. Knocking arrows, they loose one at Zaris and Kaiakas each. The shot at Kaiakas deflects harmlessly off of his armour, by Zaris isn't so lucky.

Kaiakas hits, Zaris hits.

Minotaur misses, Hobgoblin misses Xara
Hobgoblin archer 1 misses Kaiakas, Hobgoblin archer 2 hits Zaris for 5 damage

Kaiakas and Corban are engaged with the minotaur

Xara is engaged with 1 blind hobgoblin
Zaris is just behind Xara, off the rubble
Rurik and Jorr are still standing in the loose rubble.

2 Hobgoblins with bows are by the beds, firing arrows at you lot

Party turn!
Sep 28, 2015 11:20 am
"I got this one Zaris. Take care of those archers!" I slash high at the hobgoblin, hoping to stab it on the face.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Damage? - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Sneak attack bonus damage? - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 28, 2015 11:22 am
Xara's boastful attack misses the flailing hobgoblin, as she has to duck and weave away from the ever unpredictable blade and cant find a reliable opening in the creature's haphazard attack pattern.
Sep 28, 2015 5:25 pm
"Oh! So he's the bigger threat now, is he?" Corban feigns some offence as the Minotaur goes after Kaiakas. "We'll see about that."
Corban makes expert slashes with his longsword, a veritable flurry at the slightly distracted Minotaur.

OOC: Pulling out all the stops, spending inspiration and Action surge for another swing.

Rolls

(12) + 5 = 17

Inspiration! Advantage Attack - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage with Longsword - (1D8+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Action Surge! Attack 2 w/Longsword - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage 2 w/longsword. - (1d8+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Sep 29, 2015 2:05 am
Zaris let's out a yelp like a dog when the arrow slams into his left leg. He looks up towards the archer and grimaces. Beyond all reason he finds himself pulling his sword out and rushing towards the archer that shot him. The rational, academic voice in his head sternly warns him, Just what do you think you're doing? while another other, much louder voice simply says Make it count. He swings an arching shot, but pulls it short and redirects it into a jab hoping to throw the archer off his defenses.

Rolls

Sword - (1d20-1)

(16) - 1 = 15

Sword (inspiration roll) - (1d20-1)

(13) - 1 = 12

Damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 29, 2015 7:16 am
Corban's blade cuts deep into the minotaur, hitting cleanly with every stage of his flurry.

Zaris stabs at the unarmoured hobgoblin and his blade cuts into its side as it fails to get out of the way.

Corban hits for 19 Damage
Zaris hits for 6 Damage

Rurik and Kaiakas
Sep 29, 2015 12:43 pm
I move around the minotaur to put him in between me and the archers while taking another swing at the beast.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Sep 29, 2015 3:27 pm
Seeing the Minotaur is being dealt with effectively for the moment, I scuttle off of the rubble and turn my attention to the archers, aiming for the one not being attacked by Zaris.

Rolls

Eldritch blast - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Damage - (1d10+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 29, 2015 3:38 pm
Kaiakas swings but his blade clangs off the minotaur's armored shoulder as it turns and heaves its axe at Corban, which hits the fighter with incredible force.

Rurik's blast slams into the bed beside the hobgoblin, shattering it and sending the creatures longsword flying across the room. The hobgoblin, being harassed by Zaris and now with no blade in easy reach, knocks and arrow but can't loose it at the wizard under the pressure of his attacks. The other archer returns fire at Rurik, the arrow clangs harmlessly to the ground at the warlock's feet.

The hobgoblin fighting Xara, still blind, flails more vigorously and violently than before. Xara weaves and dodges the attacks, and is sure that, if the thing could actually see, she might have lost her head in that flurry.

A door on the other side of the rough wooden screen opens into the room and a bugbear, dressed in robes holding a wand firmly in one hand, strolls in. He raises a hand and utters an incantation, and a sickly green ray of energy leaps forth and strikes Zaris square in the chest. The wizard feels the urge to retch, as something sickly feels like it is forcing its way up from his gut.

Kaiakas and Rurik miss... but a small consequence for the bad guys from Rurik's attack.

Corban is hit for 11 damage
Hobgoblins miss everywhere. Xara is nearly critically hit, but saved by the disadvantage roll from blindness

Zaris is hit by Ray of Sickness for 8 damage, and must make a Con Save DC 12. On a failure he becomes Poisoned for one round - which is disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.

Corban and Kaiakas are engaged with the Minotaur
Xara is engaged with the hobgoblin near the rubble

Zaris is engaged with an archer by the beds
One archer is unengaged

The bugbear is unengaged, and inaccessible via melee (one would have to either knock over the wood screen which is an action, or provoke an attack from the archers as you run past them)

Rurik is unengaged
Jorr is unengaged

Map Link
Sep 29, 2015 8:30 pm
The bolt sends the wizard backwards and in addition to the overwhelming sense of nausea, he blacks out for a second of two. When his senses return he quickly loses all the contents of his stomach.

"Help!" he cries out before retching a second time.

OOC: Down to 1 hit point!
Last edited September 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Rolls

CON saving throw - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Sep 29, 2015 8:41 pm
"DAMN! Hang on Zaris!" Corban snarls, bashes the huge minotaur with his shield and looks for another opportunity to slash with his longsword.

Rolls

Attack w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

(2) + 5 = 7

Sep 29, 2015 10:58 pm
"Zaris!!" I slash one last time at the hobgoblin before I back away from it and then run towards Zaris.

OOC: Attack, then bonus action: disengage
Last edited September 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

Damage - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Sneak attack bonus damage? - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 30, 2015 9:11 am
The minotaur doesn't even notice Corban's attack, as he barely leaves a scratch on the creatures armor. Xara stabs teh goblin clean in the throat and it falls over, gurgling and dying at her feet as she steps over it.

Corban missed
Xara, you didn't need the bonus to disengage so you still have your bonus should you want to use it to Hide or Dash instead

Zaris, you can still take a turn, but any die rolls you make are at Disadvantage
Sep 30, 2015 9:15 am
Jorr steps over the corpse Xara created, out of the rubble. He places himself beside the wood screen and behind a collapsed pillar, then looses an arrow at the archer engaged with Zaris. The arrow slams into the creatures head and it falls backwards into the wall.
Sep 30, 2015 11:21 am
Raising my fist in victory over yet another kill (what would this group do without me?) I run past Zaris and attempt to put myself between him and the closest threat. As I move past him, I say "Save the stabbing for the professionals, Zaris! You're gonna owe me a drink after this!"
Sep 30, 2015 11:25 am
Xara runs face to face with the other archer, still holding a bow and preparing another arrow. The hobgoblin tries backing away to give himself space to fire, but backs into the wall.

Meanwhile, a newcomer reaches the top of the path and hears the sounds of battle coming form inside the keep...

Map is updated.

Kaiakas, Rurik and Zaris have turns, as does our new character who has quietly appeared at the entrance of the keep since the battle bega
Sep 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Seeing a Mage enter the battle, I cease my pot shots at the various other combatants and instead focus on him as he cowers behind his screen. My eyes wreath in infernal flames and I point at him uttering a single word "Approach". The word leaps from my mouth and flies toward the Mage writ in the same energies swirling around him echoing until he either resists or succumbs to my Command
OOC: casting command on the bugbear Mage, who must make a Wisdom save DC: 12 or he must move to within 5 feet of me by the shortest and most direct route
Sep 30, 2015 3:50 pm
Zaris feebly moves out of the way as best he can and raises his sword in a defensive posture.

OOC: Taking the dodge action. Attackers disadvantage should cancel out my disadvantage?
Sep 30, 2015 5:08 pm
Pawetha slightly opens the cowl of her fox-fur cloak as she picks her way up the path towards the Keep. Her ears twitch.

"Sounds like a fun party," she thinks. Pawetha drops her pack off the side of the trail, readies her short bow and nocks an arrow. Eyes alert for signs of activity and clues to the nature of the Keep's inhabitants, she hurries towards cover

OOC: I will head towards the courtyard and the nearest cover, be it rubble, boulders, or the walls. I'd like to see if there's any indication of the type of enemies there are and where they might be within the keep.

Rolls

Investigation (INT) - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Sep 30, 2015 5:25 pm
Moving back beside Corban, I help defend him against the Minotaur again. My eyes begin to glow with an inner light as I take another swing
[OOC: Fighting Style Protection to give Mr. Minotaur disadvantage on his attacks to Corban. Spending Inspiration for advantage on attack roll and using Divine Smite.]

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Attack - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage - (1d8+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Divine Smite - (2d8)

(63) = 9

Oct 1, 2015 6:51 am
The bugbear's eyes glaze over and it walks towards Rurik, walking past Xara - undefended - as he does. When he reachers Rurik, having satisfied the command, he regains his sense. He raises his hand, the one with the wand, and flicks his wrist. A red chain of bolts with grasping claws at their tip erupts from the wand. Two strike Rurik and one one arcs for Xara, hitting her in the back.

The archer drops his bow and grabs the sword he left on the bed to his side. He swings, but isn't able to hit the quick moving rogue.

The minotaur, turns to the paladin and slams the head of his axe into Kaiakas' gut, shattering something with the force of impact. He shouts, "Koth, where's that beast friend of yours?"

The bugbear, who is keeping the mace in his offhand between himself and Rurik replies with a shout, "Tel'Korrath!"

Meanwhile, outside Paws moves up to the collapsed entrance and looks into the courtyard. The sounds of conflict are coming from the building at the back of the keep. Just as she starts to plan her next action, a huge manticore, a big winged lion-like creature with a horrifically spiked tail, leaps from a hole in the roof of the building in the south-east corner and props itself on the edge of the roof. It stares intently towards the building where the battle and a shout, presumably calling it, came from. The creature remains sitting calmlyon the roof ledge, as if deciding if its worth its effort to intervene.

Rurik's command works, Kaiakas misses.

Xara can make an Attack of Opportunity against the Bugbear Sorcerer

Rurik takes 10 Damage from Magic Missile
Xara takes 3 Damage from Magic Missile

Xara is missed by the archer hobgoblin

The minotaur hits Kaiakas for a brutal 15 damage

Paws see a Manticore
Oct 1, 2015 8:42 am
I move with the force of the hit on me to back off for a bit. [Disengage] When I get far enough away I put a hand to my middle, a golden glow infusing me with the strength I lost after that hit.
[OOC: I know this may be more than what's allowed in one turn, so if need be I'll just let this be my next action as well.
Oct 1, 2015 11:15 am
Seeing the Bugbear glide right past me, I shake my head. "Tsk tsk, a fatal mistake my friend." Then, with a flourish and a twist of the wrist, I aim for whatever fleshy parts look softest.
Last edited October 1, 2015 11:15 am

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Damage - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Oct 1, 2015 12:16 pm
Kaiakas steps back from the minotaur and prepares to heal himself after the battering he sustained.

Xara scratches the bugbear on his way past while under the influence of Rurik's will.

Kaiakas disengaged and moves away. Thats the Action + Move for this round. Unless you have a Bonus Action heal (Healing Word), your healing will have to wait until next round.

Xara hits with the opportunity attack, dealing 4 damage to bugbear sorcerer - Koth, as you know now he is called.

Xara, Corban, Rurik, Paws, Zaris, Jorr are left to act (in any order you please)
Oct 1, 2015 12:43 pm
I turn towards the Bugbear, giving it another stab for good measure. Then I step away from it, trying to keep all or most of our enemies in sight in case any of my friends need my help.

OOC: attack, then Bonus Action disengage and move into position if needed. I want to at least keep Zaris and the Bugbear in my sights.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 1, 2015 12:52 pm
Xara steps away from the dagger-wielding archer, pursuing the bugbear sorcerer as he wanders past her. The archer takes a swipe at the rogue, catching her with the serrated edge of the crudely handmade blade. Xara's own attack misses as the sorcerer wheels around and swings his mace at her and she is forced to retreat.

Xara is critically hit for 7 damage but the last hobgoblin she stepped away from, and misses the bugbear
Oct 1, 2015 1:49 pm
The missiles slam into me, I step back, turning my head to spit out a sizzling gobbet of black blood. Straightening I turn to the sorcerer and point, "My turn"

Rolls

(17) + 4 = 21

Eldritch Damage - (1d10+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Oct 1, 2015 3:09 pm
Feeling the sweat build up on his forehead as Kaiakas withdraws, Corban sets himself to lay into the Minotaur again.

Rolls

(1) + 5 = 6

(3) + 5 = 8

Oct 1, 2015 5:08 pm
Pawetha momentarily forgets where she is as she spies the large monstrosity the appears on the roof. "So much for fun," she thinks, and grits her teeth. The manticore would make a fine trophy, but it's not a task to be taken lightly.

Crouching into a stalker's pace, Pawetha silently maneuvers to the portal in the south wall and assesses if she can access the room beyond, all while keeping out of the manticore's sight and downwind of its nose.

OOC: Looking at the map, I assume that's a closed door to the south of the ruined room I'm in. I'd like to check if it can be easily opened; if it can, I will enter the room.
Last edited October 1, 2015 5:09 pm

Rolls

Stealth (DEX) - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Oct 1, 2015 11:14 pm
I use whatever cover I can find and attempt to disappear from view of my nearest combatants.

OOC: bonus action- hide

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Oct 2, 2015 7:22 am
Rurik's blast hits the sorcerer hard and hit spits blood on the floor in response, "Get into the courtyard." he shouts at the minotaur. Jorr drops his bow and draws a long sword, slashing at the bugbear as he does so.

Croban swings at the minotaur, but the creature blocks with the haft of its axe.

Paws finds the door ajar and peers inside. What the building might have once been used for is unclear. All the furniture has been crushed into rubble, and a large nestlike mound of tree branches, bits and pieces of foul-smelling animal parts, and long, thin spikes of some sort of black material fill the northwest corner of the room. A gaping hole in the roof in the northeast corner provides a view of the sky above. By some twist of fortune, the manticore hasn't noticed her yet.

Rurik and Jorr hit the Bugbear
Corban misses
Xara hides

Paws finds the manticore nest
Oct 2, 2015 7:29 am
The minotaur checks Corban with the haft of its axe then leans back into the door behind it and moves into the courtyard. Out of sight, but not earshot, Corban hears the minotaur yelling at something, "You! Get down here and help! There's intruders in the keep."

The bugbear, presently surrounded, shoulders past Rurik and Jorr, trusting the faintly glowing mage armour that surrounds his body will weather the attacks, and moves through the hole in the building wall. Once outside he points his mace upwards and shouts, "Tel'Korrath, this is what you're paid for. Rid the world of these pests."

Pawetha notices the manticore's heavy sigh before the creature flies into the air and moves over the middle of the courtyard.

Minotaur disengages from Corban

Rurik, Jorr and Xara (with sneak attack, as you haven't used it this round yet) get attacks of opportunity on the bugbear

Much posturing and arguing with a manticore.

Everyone is up.
Oct 2, 2015 7:30 am
Retreiving his bow, Jorr knocks and arrow and puts it cleanly through the throat of the remaining hobgoblin archer that appeared to be forgotten about in the chaos of battle.

Jorr kills archer.
Oct 2, 2015 7:51 am
"Baervan's teeth, this is inconvenient," mutters Pawetha as her target changes location. She shifts north, using the boulders and ruined walls as cover, and takes aim at the manticore. Breathing out a silent prayer, she looses her arrow.

CancerMan sent a note to Candi

Rolls

Attack Short Bow - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Damage Short Bow - (1d6+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Oct 2, 2015 7:57 am
Pawetha slinks back into the crumbled watchtower and gently pushes the door open. Getting a good line on the manticore she looses and arrow, which sails past the creature. The manticore wheels around in the air and begins to search for the source of the attack.

A miss, I'm afraid!
Oct 2, 2015 11:23 am
As the bugbear ambles past, I emerge from the shadows and strike- aiming for its legs.
Last edited October 2, 2015 11:25 am

Rolls

AOO w/advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Damage + Sneak Attack - (1d8+3, 1d6)

1d8+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

1d6 : (2) = 2

Oct 2, 2015 2:03 pm
As the sorcerer tries to slip past me, I lash out with my warhammer and attempt to end him

Rolls

Unleash my inner Phil Collins - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Damage - (1d8+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Oct 2, 2015 2:06 pm
Xara and Jorr both catch the bugbear with their blades, somehow finding gaps in the faint magical armour protecting him. Rurik's warhammer surges through the air and hits nothing.

Hit for Xara, and Jorr. Miss for Rurik.
Oct 2, 2015 2:40 pm
I put a hand to my middle, a golden glow infusing me with the strength I lost after that hit. Renewed, I watch the minotaur withdraw and pick my new target. I move to help finish off the surrounded bugbear.
[OOC: Lay on Hands to heal 10 hp.]
Oct 2, 2015 6:31 pm
"Running away, you big horned coward?" Corban follows the minotaur out the door and attacks furiously with his longsword, wishing he had a fire bolt to shoot at the beast so he could keep his distance.

Rolls

(20) + 5 = 25

(8) + 5 = 13

F-YEAH Crit damage baby. - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Oct 2, 2015 6:35 pm
The manticore seems to be the fortune Zaris needs as no one is worried too much about a wizard half dead on the ground. The elf gets him self up as quickly as he can and hides himself under one the closest bed in the room. He curls up against the wall and pulls the bed over him to fully cover his failing body. Stay away, stay away he thinks to himself.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Oct 3, 2015 8:21 am
Corban's charge surprises the minotaur, and while he tries to parry with his heavy axe the effort is in vain and the fighter's blade comes down hard on the creatures upper arm. Blood gushes and the minotaur lets out a fierce howl, it's eyes reddening as it descends into a furious rage.

Zaris pulls himself under the hobgoblin bed and hides himself well.

Corban hits!
Zaris hides

Rurik and Xara have turns to take
Oct 5, 2015 1:31 pm
Seeing the bugbear backing off, begging for his companion to save him. "He'll nay be in time, let me do you what magic is /supposed/ to do" I launch another eldritch blast toward it.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Damage - (1d10+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Oct 5, 2015 1:55 pm
I continue after the bugbear, slashing at it in two clean swipes towards its ribs.

Ooc: bonus action, disengage
Last edited October 5, 2015 4:39 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 5, 2015 4:34 pm
Seeing Xara get the better of the bugbear gives him a sudden sense that he should do something to help. He makes the first effort to crawl from under the bed but writhes in pain from what he can only imagine is a broken rib. You won't do anyone any good dead Zaris he thinks before sliding back into as comfortable a position as he can manage.
Oct 5, 2015 9:00 pm
Rurik's blast hits the bugbear hard in the back and he stumbles forward, giving Xara a clean opening to slash at his side. Both attacks find gaps in the mage armour and the bugbears blood stains the dirt of the courtyard. He growls and swings his mace at Xara but she is already a few paces back and well out of range.

The bugbear pulls a flask from his belt filled with a cloudly, greyish liquid. He chugs the potions and fades from sight.

The minotaur, filled with bloodlust and rage, swings wildly at Corban but hits nothing but air as the fighter nearly evades both swings.

The manticore's tail swings up in front of it and snaps rapidly forward. Black spikes surge forward, two towards Corban and one towards Xara. A spike aimed at each hits their mark.

Both hit, bugbear is not dead

Bugbear sorcerer goes invisible
Minotaur uses Reckless Attack to attack with Advantage.. and still misses! Attacks against the Minotaur have Advantage this round

Tail spikes: 1 misses Corban
1 Hits Xara for 5 Damage
1 Hits Corban for 5 Damage

Players are up!
Oct 5, 2015 9:04 pm
My vision goes black before I even realize what has happened and I crumble to the ground.

Rolls

Death Save- here goes nothing! - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Oct 5, 2015 10:05 pm
As I see the bugbear go invisible, I growl with frustration and turn after hearing the minotaur rage. "Alright. Looks like you're back for more."
[OOC: I think I'm still within range to Move + Attack. I'm fuzzy headed because of a congested head.]

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Attack - advantage - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Damage - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Oct 5, 2015 10:38 pm
Corban swears and pulls out the tail spike. He then hides behind his shield, ready for another angry swing from the Minotaur or a volley from the Manticore.

OOC : taking the Dodge action.
Oct 6, 2015 3:16 am
Pawetha chances another look through the open portal, and seeing the manticore's attention is elsewhere, draws her bow and fires another arrow at the flying monstrosity.

Rolls

(12) + 7 = 19

Damage - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 6, 2015 7:37 am
Kaiakas comes out to Corban's support and slashes at the minotaur, cutting it across the chest. It bellows and turns its rage towards him. Corban, meanwhile, uses his shield to cover from the manticore's spike volley and works hard to keep out of the way of the minotaur's axe.

Pawetha fires a single arrow that hits the minotaur in the back. It spins in the air and spots her, readying another tail volley.

Jorr clambers over the rubble and atop one of the large boulders to get a good vantage point. He fires an arrow at the minotaur, hitting in it in the side.

Hit for both Kaiakas and Pawetha (and Jorr for that matter)

Zaris and Rurik are left up
Oct 6, 2015 1:36 pm
"Alright, ye horned bully, yer friend left, that means you get the focus." Joining the rest of the party I blast the Minotaur

Rolls

(17) + 4 = 21

Damage - (1d10+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Oct 6, 2015 1:41 pm
Rurik's blast hits the minotaur hard and he stumbles, dropping briefly to one knee before struggling back to his feet and hefting his axe high over his head for one final swing at Kaiakas or Corban.

Hit for 10 Damage. You'll be sad to know he has 1 HP left.

Zaris, you're up!
Oct 6, 2015 5:56 pm
Seeing the Minotaur stumble Zaris strains to load a bolt into his crossbow. The missile clicks into position with a grunt from the wizard and he edges himself out slightly from the bed and fires off a shot at the minotaur.

Rolls

crossbow - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

disadvantage (since he is prone)? - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

damage - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Oct 6, 2015 6:53 pm
Zaris leans briefly out from his hiding spot and can see, in the distance, just barely from the angle he's at through the open door, the bulky body of the minotaur behind Corban and Kaiakas. It's a long shot, through a narrow opening. An expert might struggle with the shot if his companions weren't in the way. Zaris, wounded, hand shaking, pulls the trigger and the bolt surges forward. It nicks the edge of the door frame on the way by, slightly adjusting the trajectory - purely by chance - narrowly missing Corban's back and sinking into the minotaur's throat. The mintoaur's eyes go wide, surprised, before he collapses forward.

Hit, killed.

Disadvantage due to the very narrow angle (if you look at the map, it's a perfect line from Zaris to the Minotaur)... BUT, the Mintoaur was granting Advantage to all attacks. The two cancel, and so your first roll stands. 3 Damage is enough.
Oct 6, 2015 8:06 pm
The manticore, seeing the minotaur fall, the manticore tosses a volley of spikes, one at each of Corban, Kaiakas and the partically concealed Pawetha.

Meanwhile, inside the building, Zaris sees the door the the room immediately north of the beds swing open. Inside is a large table surrounded by about a dozen chairs filling almost the small room. A massive paper is pinned to the table by several daggers. From his vantage point on the floor, half under the bed, he can't make out what it is. The daggers pull themselves out of the table and are discarded on the floor, then the page rolls up and vanishes.

24 and 17 (Disadvantage takes the 17) vs Paws AC, hit for 9 damage
16 vs Corban AC, miss
21 vs Kaiakas, hit for 9 damage

Players are up
Oct 6, 2015 8:06 pm
Upon seeing the minotaur collapse to the ground, Zaris smiles briefly before the sound of the door opening north of him startles him out of his day dream. He cowers again quickly under the bed and his eyes go wide in astonishment as the paper on the table disappears in front of him. His body aches and his head swims in confusion. He tried to comprehend what has happened but the adrenaline wears off and he passes out.
Last edited October 7, 2015 12:35 am
Oct 6, 2015 8:19 pm
Corban braces himself for the thunderous blow from the Minotaur. When it doesn't immediately come, he peeks over his shield in time to see the bolt catch the Minotaur in the throat. Uttering a brief prayer to Tymora for guiding that bolt home. Doesn't Zaris use a crossbow? He briefly thinks to himself.

Without hesitation, and despite the growing pains all over his body, Corban dashes toward the Manticore with a blood curdling scream. Covering his approach with his shield, he sidesteps at the last second, and follows his movement with a wide slash of his longsword.

Rolls

(8) + 5 = 13

(5) + 5 = 10

Oct 6, 2015 8:23 pm
Corban runs across the courtyard and dashes into the building the Manticore swooped into. He finds it inside, tossing what must have been its nest over - scattering hundreds of coins across the floor - grabbing onto a bundle of cloth from the mess and a necklace, it turns just as Corban swings and slashes it across the face. The creature lets out a howl and makes to swipe back.

I missed the last bit of the manticore action, swooping down into the building with the hole in the roof. Fortunately, Corban can still chase it in there and bash it!

Hit for 10 damage
Oct 6, 2015 9:25 pm
Genuinely surprised at how the minotaur fell, I thank Tyr with a prayer as I heal myself from the strange spike, and then follow Corban. "What are-" and then I see the beast "Oh. That."
[OOC: casting Cure Wounds on myself.]

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Oct 6, 2015 9:38 pm
I dream of free flowing booze, and golden light. Wait. What the... One eye pops open as I come to, then blink a few times. "Why is the rum gone?"
Last edited October 6, 2015 9:43 pm

Rolls

Death save 2 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Oct 7, 2015 1:06 am
Pawetha spins around as the spike sinks into her side and the force of impact pulls her back. She tracks the manticore's flight back into its nest and pursues to the door she opened earlier.

The gnome drops to one knee to steady her aim, and she takes a deep breath to calm herself through the pain. Pawetha exhales another prayer to Baervan and fires.

Rolls

(6) + 7 = 13

Damage - (1d6+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Oct 7, 2015 6:43 am
Pawetha's arrow strikes the manticore in the upper portion of its hind leg, as it turns to face Corban.

Hit for 9 Damage,

Rurik is up
Oct 7, 2015 2:42 pm
Rurik sighs heavily "Next time we go exploring, I vote we look at empty ruins!" I wearily lift my arm toward the latest abomination and lose more eldritch enemies towards it.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Creature slaying damage - (1d10+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 7, 2015 2:46 pm
Rurik moves so he can get a line of sight to the manticore and looses and eldritch blast, slamming the creature in the face.
Oct 7, 2015 2:54 pm
The manticore lets out a howl, biting at Corban then swiping at him with its claw. The fighter deflects both attacks with careful placement of his shield, but that leaves his lower body open as the manticore spins quickly and slams into his upper legs with its spiked tail. The creature crouches a bit, then vaults itself through the hole in the roof onto the build and then again into the air. The mangled cloth and a few bits of gold and platinum clutched in on claw, it makes for the horizon.

Those with a keen eye (Passive Perception 13+) notice the bugbear suddenly take to the air from behind the main building. Tucked under one arm is a large bit of parchment that has been hastily rolled up. The bugbear, under the influence of some kind of flying spell, also is seeking escape.

Two misses on Corban, followed by a crit with miraculously low damage: 7 damage

If Corban is still conscious after that he gets an attack of opportunity, otherwise it's the player turn. The manticore is in the air, 50feet off the ground (so well in range of most ranged attacks). Clear shots can be had from the courtyard.

Likewise for the bugbear, except you need Passive Perception 13+ to have noticed it in all the commotion.

Map is updated
Oct 7, 2015 3:16 pm
Corban barely has time to thank his lucky stars that he bought the shield as the Manticore's tail crashes into his legs. All goes black as his head smashes into the ground.

Ooc:Death save time :) - one success
Last edited October 7, 2015 3:17 pm

Rolls

Death save - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 8, 2015 12:44 am
The gnome ranger wheels back to secure the courtyard, eyes tracking the sky. Her attention on the manticore is momentarily taken by movement beyond. "That looks important," Pawetha thinks, and adjusts her aim to the flying bugbear. "Baervan take you!" she hisses as she fires.

Rolls

(3) + 7 = 10

Damage - (1d6+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 8, 2015 11:24 am
Noticing that the other members of my party are still fighting, I roll forward and onto my feet and move towards where all the commotion seems to be. I grab my shortbow, load it and fire as many shots as I can at the fleeing bugbear. Once the shots are fire, I quickly duck behind a nearby wall for cover.

ooc: bonus action- hide

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1d20+3, 1d6)

1d20+3 : (17) + 3 = 20

1d6 : (1) = 1

Attack 2 - (1d20+3, 1d6)

1d20+3 : (14) + 3 = 17

1d6 : (2) = 2

Oct 8, 2015 11:31 am
Pawetha's arrow flies high and misses the bugbear. Jorr sends one after the bugbear as well, the arrow grazing his leg on the way by.

Xara's arrows both strike him in the back, sinking into flesh through his cloth and magic protection. The bugbear suddenly plummets, slamming into the ground from fifty feet up and twitching for a moment before a pool of blood forms under his mangled body.

Miss from Paws, two hits but very low damage from Xara. Higher than reported - you add Dex to shortbow damage, so that's a net +6 damage! With the damage from Jorr, that's dead (just barely I'll add).

Kaiakas, Rurik, Zaris (outcold presumably?)
Oct 8, 2015 5:46 pm
I put pressure on my wounds and yell out to no one in particular "Must I kill everything around here?!" I lean further into the wall, breathing heavily and trying not to pass out for a second time.
Oct 8, 2015 6:02 pm
The manticore, barely injured from the brief scuffle, flies over the fort wall and is quickly gone from sight. The adrenaline of combat slowly fades.

A minotaur, several hobgoblins and a bugbear are dead, scattered within the main building and the courtyard.

Combat is over. The remaining characters to act couldn't kill the manticore before it fled, as it was still quite healthy. So, I've saved us some time and called it.
Oct 8, 2015 6:45 pm
I hobble over to the bugbear and grab the rolled parchment, taking a good look at it. "Kaiakas, Rurik, we should check the bodies for anything of use. Corban, you- Corban! You had better not be dead, you fool!" I hurry over to check on his condition.
Oct 8, 2015 7:00 pm
I spit blood onto the ground barely managing to stay on my feet "aye, I'll get right on that lass." I turn and join Zaris among the beds trying to catch my breath
Oct 8, 2015 7:16 pm
Corban dreams of riding around on a pegasus, flinging fireballs at hobgoblins below...

Rolls

Death Save - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Oct 8, 2015 7:21 pm
Xara unrolls the very large parchment and finds herself looking at a map of the region. It's covering in drawings and scrawlings in an alphabet she doesn't recognize. Before she can examine it closer though she realizes Corban is down and rushes to check on him. He's alive, but barely, and without help soon he might not make it.
Oct 8, 2015 7:50 pm
Hearing Xara's concern for Corban's condition, I kneel beside the warrior and pray to Tyr, "This servant of justice is needed to continue the fight." A golden light shines over him.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 8, 2015 8:36 pm
Corban awakens with a gasp as Tyr's power flows through him. He looks around, confused, "Oh, Hi Kai, did I black out again? Why are you touching me like that?"
Oct 8, 2015 8:59 pm
Smirking at the man's comment, I offer a hand to help him to his feet. "Nothing to worry about now, my friend. It seems the flying beast is all that has escaped us this day, and a day I would call it." I look around at our group. "It seems we are all in need of some rest. That will give us some time to get to know the newcomer." I walk over to the gnome with a smile on my face. "Well met. I am Kaiakas, servant of Tyr. Thank you for the assistance. What has brought you to this place?"
Oct 8, 2015 11:35 pm
Apparently this group is too lazy to do the busywork. Fine then! I go through the bodies myself in search of anything useful or valuable.

Rolls

Perception? - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 9, 2015 1:46 am
Zaris awakens for a moment and lifts his weary head enough to peer out from under the bed. Surprised by the stillness, his muscles relax and he drifts back into unconsciousness.
Oct 9, 2015 3:45 am
The gnome is initially wary of the tall warrior approaching her, but seeing and hearing Xara amongst the crowd lessens her suspicions... somewhat. Arrow still nocked in her bow, she glances around before returning her gaze to the paladin.

"Pawetha," she says, a terse introduction. "You're all with Xara? I suppose, then, you've already cleared the rest of these ruins from hidden dangers like our spiky friend out there?"
Oct 9, 2015 4:18 am
I'm momentarily distracted from my search by the approach of the familiar gnome. How did I miss her during the battle?

"Paws! It's been too long, friend! Did you track us here? I've killed most of our enemies in the area but there could be more. Might be dangerous in case you're interested in joining us." I point at the others as I say their names. "Zaris, wielder of powerful magics. Corban, nearly as good a fighter as I am. A better one when he's had a few drinks in him. You've already met Kaiakas. A holy man, but don't hold that against him. Jorr, our guide. And finally that's Rurik. What do you do again?"
Last edited October 9, 2015 2:02 pm
Oct 9, 2015 5:01 am
"Pawetha eh? Nice to meet you, though if you're friends with Xara, I might not want to dice with you later... We haven't exactly had a chance to look around yet, have we? I thought a power nap in the Manticore nest might be a nice idea."

Corban stretches his stiff muscles, sore from the brutal fight.

OOC: Are we short resting, or is it late enough in the day we might try to camp out?
Oct 9, 2015 7:24 am
Xara barely has time to search the bugbear sorcerer's body before she notices Pawetha. She finds a wand on the ground near the body, probably dropped when he died.

It's late afternoon, like 3pm ish
Oct 9, 2015 11:35 am
I pocket the wand. "Exhausted already? Alright, it might do for us all to take a break. I nearly died myself. At least I took down most of 'em with me." I give the bugbear a light kick with my foot for emphasis. Wiping off some of my blood, I wander towards Zaris and poke him. "Oh good, you're still breathing. Next time you want to do something like that, have some sense of self-preservation and let me go ahead first! You're much better at guarding my back than I am of guarding yours I'm afraid! Not everyone can be a hero and live to tell the tale. Am I right, Paws?" I chuckle for a bit before I start coughing up some blood. "Right. Rest." I pass out on a bed, propped up against a wall.
Oct 9, 2015 1:28 pm
Pawetha nods to each person as they're introduced. She assesses Jorr, notes his attire and equipment, and recognizes at least a certain occupational familiarity.

"A short rest then," she mumbles. "Which of you needs the most attention? I can at least try to Cure (your) Wounds."

OOC: cast Cure Wounds on the person with the lowest HP remaining.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Oct 9, 2015 2:01 pm
I start to look slightly less like death warmed over.

Ooc: I'll assume me since I'm down to 1 HP
Oct 10, 2015 7:05 pm
"Well, should we camp here, or try to move on to somewhere a little less goblin-infested?"
Oct 11, 2015 1:14 am
Pawetha looks around at the condition of the group, then winces at the pain in her side. "Probably best to camp here," she says, "as it doesn't look like we should move anyone anywhere." She peeks her head into the large building and spies the body of Zaris under the bed. Pawetha kneels beside him and whispers another prayer to Baervan as she places her hands upon his chest, allowing the warmth of nature's energy to flow between them.

Pawetha stands and tightens a knot of fabric around her own wound. "I'm going to check out the rest of the keep, and make sure there are no surprises," she says. She faces the southwest door and calls over her shoulder, "Anyone not fertilizing the ground want to join me?"

Rolls

Cure Wounds on Zaris - (1d8+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Oct 12, 2015 4:55 am
I awake with a start. "Huh that's strange. I had the booze dream again. Where were we? Right. Sounds like you'll need help checking for surprises. We can catch up along the way. Everyone else, feel free to rest up- we'll be back shortly!"
Oct 12, 2015 7:05 am
Xara and Pawetha push open the door into the tower. The circular chamber has been outfitted with a mix of furniture, including a large desk, an overstuffed chair, a massive four-posted bed, and a large easel that holds a sizable canvas covered with a sheet. A flight of stairs arcs up along the south wall to the upper floor, and fair amount of rubble from a hole in the ceiling lies heaped on the base of these stairs.
Oct 12, 2015 11:34 am
I look for shiny or traps. Whatever I find first!

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Oct 12, 2015 11:39 am
Xara sees nothing of danger, or nothing of particular value, as she quickly scans the room.
Oct 12, 2015 11:45 am
"We told some guy we'd drive out all the hobgoblins in the area for a bit of gold. Apparently they've been harassing the town and affecting their caravans along the main road. They must be desperate since they gave us half up front. So now we're going around killing as many as we can find. What about you? Find any trouble?"
Oct 12, 2015 4:31 pm
"Hobgoblins," spits Pawetha, scanning the room. She pokes some of the rubble with her foot. Her eyes flit along the walls and take in the furniture before settling on the stairs and their direction, noting it for later inspection.

"My road was quiet," she says. "Yours has the first trouble I've encountered since I found your trail. And you've got some friends stuck neck-deep in it as well, though I wouldn't have expected you to drag along a paladin."

She tugs on the canvas covering the easel to see what lies underneath.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Oct 12, 2015 5:50 pm
I scoff. "I didn't pick the team. They heard about me and sought me out. You know how it goes. In any case, that paladin hasn't gotten himself killed yet so he's useful enough. Not much fun though." I head towards the easel and remove the sheet.
Oct 13, 2015 2:27 am
The warmth courses through Zaris's chest and then spreads, seeking out every last fiber of his being. The wizard's eyes open in a flash of confusion. He sits up quickly only to knock his head on the mattress of the bed under which he is hiding. "Umph!" he grumbles laying back down and rolling out into the center of the room. Quickly rising to his feet he dusts himself off. "Well, uh, thank you to whoever healed me!" he says earnestly. He walks towards the others where the easel is, curious as to what lies underneath.
Oct 13, 2015 9:07 am
Understanding the two reunited friends were merely jesting, I still grumble and squint as if displeased.
I walk over to the easel as well. "What's this?"
"[OOC: Sorry, Rurik, I used all my spell slots.]
Oct 13, 2015 9:13 am
The canvas falls to the floor and you see a recently finished oil painting depicting a many headed multi-coloured dragon.

http://t01.deviantart.net/9D6UOJr8pZ6vtBYGsAHAcJ0tsc4=/300x200/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre15/2dfe/th/pre/f/2015/245/6/2/tiamat_by_raro666-d5qyu91.jpg

As the party gathers in the small room, kicking things around and turning over furniture, you discover, concealed beneath a rotting bit of carpet, a trap door. The hinges are rusted, but it looks like with a bit of effort it could be pulled open.

Don't forget you can spend hit dice (which I've taken to calling healing surges to avoid confusion) to heal as well, since you're resting
Oct 13, 2015 11:30 am
I stare at the painting, wondering how easy it would be to roll it up and take it with me. Then, I turn my attention towards the trap door, checking it for actual traps.

Rolls

Perception + thieves tools? - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Oct 13, 2015 11:33 am
The canvas is stretched across a wood frame, and the oils are still fresh. Rolling it up would almost certainly damage the work, if not destroy it.

The trap door, to Xara's keen eye, does not appear to be itself trapped.
Oct 13, 2015 2:29 pm
I heave myself to my feet, the respite taking me slightly away from deaths door and eternal damnation. I walk over to the rest of the group "Found somethin'?"

Rolls

Healing Surge - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Oct 13, 2015 3:36 pm
"We have ourselves a trap door." Obviously.
Oct 13, 2015 3:55 pm
Corban, disappointed that break time seems to be over, joins the group.
"Nice find Xara, I knew we brought you for a reason... "

heal 7w/CON
Last edited October 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Rolls

Healing surge - (1D10)

(5) = 5

Oct 13, 2015 3:59 pm
"Make yourself useful. How about you rip that thing off its hinges?"
Last edited October 13, 2015 3:59 pm
Oct 13, 2015 4:08 pm
"Gladly", Corban puffs up his chest under his mail, walks up to the trap door and makes an exaggerated show of lining himself up before heaving on the lock.

Rolls

Strength! +3 - (1D20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 13, 2015 4:09 pm
Pawetha sneezes, then rubs her nose with her hands. "Is it even locked?" she suggests. Buoyed by Xara's observations and urged by gnomish curiosity, she pulls on Corban's armor as though to assist.

Edit: revised for Corban's actions.
Last edited October 13, 2015 4:15 pm
Oct 13, 2015 4:14 pm
The trapdoor lifts easily, revealing a vertical shaft about five feet wide. A rusty, but sound, iron ladder descends into the darkness.
Oct 13, 2015 4:21 pm
I shrug. "I'm sure Corban can handle it either way. Isn't that right Corban?" After the door opens, "See? Easy."
Last edited October 13, 2015 4:22 pm
Oct 13, 2015 4:21 pm
"whew, did you see that lock bend?" Before anyone had a chance to scrutinize, Corban steps aside, bowing and graciously offering the opening to Xara. "After you, I have a bad habit of missing trip wires in these kinds of situations."
Oct 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Pawetha readies her bow to provide cover from the trap door.
Oct 13, 2015 4:33 pm
"We'll need some light on the way down. Hmmm, what have we here?"

Rolls

Checking for traps - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Oct 13, 2015 4:40 pm
Satisfied that there are no traps, Xara lights and torch and descends into a small vault. The ladder goes down about forty feet to the dusty ground of the chamber below.

The room is made of worked stone, the ceiling about twelve feet high. The air is thick and smells stale and smokey. Three alcoves have been cut into the walls, two to the north and one to the east. Each alcove is sealed by an iron gate and locked with chains and a large padlock. Beyond one alcove are several shelves bearing no less than ten small iron coffers. Beyond the second is a small desk and chair, the desk piled high with papers and books. Beyond the third sits a single large trunk.

A human skeleton lies slumped against the eastern alcove's gate. Still dressed in tattered chainmail and feebly gripping a bastard sword that has white motes of light sparkling around the blade, the skeleton has a massive arrow protruding from its chest.
Oct 13, 2015 4:50 pm
"Who's next?" asks Pawetha, indicating for someone to follow Xara. She remains at the top, bow trained (but not drawn) at the areas bereft of torchlight, in the event there's something lurking in the dark.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Oct 13, 2015 4:55 pm
"I'll go" Corban follows down the ladder.
Oct 13, 2015 6:28 pm
"I'll go next. Corban, you'll cushion m'fall when I slip right?"bi close my eyes for a moment and when I open them again, they blaze with a reddish light, then begin descending the ladder.
OOC: using Eldritch Sight which lets me cast Detect Magic w/o using a spell slot
Oct 13, 2015 6:37 pm
"God's body, look at that sword!" Corban approaches to have a closer look, careful not to touch anything before Rurik can have a look.
Oct 13, 2015 6:43 pm
Pawetha wills herself to stay above-ground, lest something terrible happens and everyone's locked inside. The sounds of excitement don't help, of course.

She turns her attention to those remaining with her. Pawetha assesses the paladin, half-elf, and scruffy woodsman, partly to focus away from the underground chamber and to determine if she can pick out little details of each individual's personality.
Oct 13, 2015 6:47 pm
I immediately head towards the door by the large trunk, whipping out my thieves' tools with a flourish.

Rolls

Pick locks - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm
Rurik's vision is quickly drawn towards the sources of magic in the area. The sword radiates chilly elemental energies, the gauntlets on the skeleton glow with the power of enchantment and the large trunk behind the iron grate that Xara is attempting to open contains several magical signatures. Two objects read to him as enchanted, and a third within the trunk radiates with holy magic.

Xara moves towards the locked gate behind which is the hefty iron trunk that Rurik detects magic coming from. She plunges her lock picks into the lock and quickly realizes that not only is it of ancient make the likes of which she has never seen, but it's well crafted and going to be very difficult to crack.
Oct 13, 2015 8:47 pm
Corban approaches the blade and kneels to look over it. It's a well crafted bastard sword. Little motes of white light float off of it like a dash of snow drifting from the sky on a chill winters morning. As he nears it the blade starts to faintly grow blue.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/74669bad139ce4d90cfcb58ad093255c/tumblr_mz9iydcIhC1qk8joso1_500.jpg
Oct 13, 2015 9:12 pm
"Kaiakas! Have a look at this beauty! I think you should take it, having saved at least my ass back there."
Oct 13, 2015 9:39 pm
Having a quiet moment with the others, I keep lookout above the trap door until I hear Corban. I finally make my way down the ladder. Upon seeing the sword, I marvel at it's craftsmanship and obvious enchantment. "Corban, thank you for offering me this treasure. Are you sure?"
I notice Rurik's eyes and steel my gaze. "Rurik. Are you alright?"
Oct 13, 2015 10:41 pm
"Of course, it wouldn't do to rust away in the hands of an old dirty soldier like myself. Much better for it to represent Tyr's Holy crusade." Corban turns after Kaiakas' comment to Rubik and jumps, "whoa! Those are some seriously red eyes, friend!"
Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
Looking at Kaiakas, I blink slowly and my eyes return to normal, " Aye, I'm fine. Well aside from the beating we all took a few minutes ago." my voice takes on a professorial tone as I indicate the various points of magical interest. "that sword is a frosty one, and the gloves are giving off an enchantment aura. That chest holds multiple signatures, don't suppose anyone found a key on any of the bodies did they?"
Oct 14, 2015 12:30 am
Hearing Rurik's question, Pawetha is struck by the idea of searching the bodies above-ground. "I'll check," she calls down below, and leaves to find the corpse of the bugbear in the courtyard. She glances over at Zaris and Jorr, giving each a nod.
Oct 14, 2015 1:18 am
"Who needs a key when you've got me?" My tone is one of frustration as I'm still futzing with the damned lock. "I'll come back to this one." I head towards the alcove with the shelves and jangle the padlock a bit as I attempt to pick it.

Rolls

Pick lock - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Oct 14, 2015 7:02 am
Pawetha searches the body of the bugbear and finds no key, but does recover a medium sized potion bottle with a viscous red liquid that glimmers as it moves around. It only takes a quick smell for her to identify it as a potion of greater healing.

The padlock here is much easier to pick than the one keeping the large trunk secure. It pops open after a few minutes of fiddling. Xara opens the iron gate and peers into the alcove - noting the ten iron coffers that line the shelves. Convinced it isn't trapped she beings to inspect the coffers. Several contain credit notes that are no longer of any value (long expired and issued by an authority equally as expired), several contain coins. Many coins (in total 70pp, 2100gp and 2800sp). Finally, tucked into the bottom of a coffer on the bottom shelf she finds the official deed to Vraath Keep.
Oct 14, 2015 11:15 am
I pocket everything. "Found some coins and paperwork. We can go over it once we have a moment to spare." I may be a thief but I'd like to think the group knows me better than to make off with everything without sharing at least some of it. There are more locks to pick! I head over to the last one.

Rolls

Pick locks - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 14, 2015 11:20 am
Xara returns to the more difficult lock keeping the group away from the iron trunk full of magic things, and finds it has not become easier to pick since the last time she tried.

Of course 'pocket' is an awkward thing to do with over 5000 coins. But I see no advantage to be had sorting out precisely how and where Xara has stashed the volume of loot, as there's no plans to scamper away with the lot of it (and that's the only circumstance it really would matter in)
Oct 14, 2015 3:46 pm
Corban will kneel down and remove the gloves from the skeleton. He then walks over to the ladder and calls up to Zaris. "So Zaris, remind me about enchantment again? That's mind control stuff right? Too bad they aren't evocation"
Last edited October 14, 2015 3:46 pm
Oct 14, 2015 3:57 pm
Pawetha minds the healing potion, then looks up at the building to the north. "We haven't checked that area yet," she thinks, and glances over her shoulder towards the rest of the group. She looks down at the minotaur's body and decides that since it's not going anywhere, it's time to investigate.

Pawetha stalks towards the nearest portal to the building to peek inside, ready for whatever might spring out.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Oct 14, 2015 4:02 pm
Pawetha peers inside the building. There is a thin layer of dry straw strewn across the floor. On the eastern side is a dust-caked forge and a mound of mouldy straw. In the middle of the room is a battered table with a discarded caltrop affixed to a stick and a couple empty mugs on it. The rest of the building is divided into four stalls.
Oct 14, 2015 4:25 pm
Pawetha enters the room, senses tuned to pick up anything that might indicate previous (or current) occupants. She draws her short sword and pokes it into the mound of straw, testing its depth. She kneels in front of one of the four stalls and sniffs the air, while looking for tell-tale signs of which creature may have been in it, and how long ago.

Her eyes latch upon the caltrop on the table, and she inspects the item to see if it's still serviceable before pocketing it, sans stick.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Oct 14, 2015 9:25 pm
Pawetha's keen sense and sense of animals allows her to determine that this stable has been recently used, and it houses worgs. Typically no more than two, but she senses that it's not always the same two creatures. Perhaps a rotating patrol, or a resting place for scouts that aren't out scouting. The straw in two of the stalls is still faintly warm, probably last used within the last four hours.

The caltrop is a bit dulled from having been dropped repeatedly on the table. The marks and dents on the table confirm that inference. It's a fine single caltrop, not that a single caltrop will do much good.
Oct 14, 2015 10:32 pm
"Yes Corban, enchantment often contains aspects of mind control, but not always," Zaris calls back down to Corban. "Let me take a look," he adds before carefully descending the ladder. He swoons a bit, still somewhat dizzy from the near death experience just moments ago, but the magical healing has helped turn him around quite quickly. He reaches the bottom and is immediately drawn to the desk with its stacks of papers and books. "Give me a second," he says, making a quick line for the desk. He grabs the top book and begins to flip through it.
Oct 15, 2015 6:35 am
The stack of books contains mixture of books telling of the history of the keep, tracing it back to the now long dead Rhestilor kingdom, and a few journals. The book Zaris picks up is one such journal. It only takes a few dozen flips before the books pages are blank. Turning back to the last entry Zaris reads:

"We've dealt with the giants. That is one less evil plague upon this wood of mine that will tarnish its reputation. I took a force of mercenaries and adventurers to their home in the woods. The giants were defeated and fled into the mountains. We burned their village so they could not return. Tonight is a night of celebration! I, Amery Vraath have done great deeds this day to rid the Witchwood of her dark heart and darker reputation."
Oct 15, 2015 11:21 am
I attempt to crack the lock one last time, but those damned coins keep jangling in my pockets and are a huge distraction. I'm gonna need to off-load some of them sooner rather than later. This will probably call for a shopping spree.

Rolls

Pick locks - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 15, 2015 11:53 am
Xara ignores the discussions behind her and focuses on the lock. She's distracted by the coins jangling in her pockets and backpack - probably she shouldn't have shoved it all in there - just as she is about to give up she hears a faint 'click' and gives the lock a gentle tug... and it snaps open! Lifting the lid she peers inside.

There is a large dragon skull with twisting horns, two dozen or so giant teeth that have a faint green colour on a thick string, a chain shirt made of an almost ivory white metal, a twisted wood staff with vines coiling around it and a pair of spiked gauntlets that look like they are sized for a giant.

As Xara pulls the objects out of the trunk, Rurik notes that the chain shirt is enchanted, the wood staff glows with the power of holy energies and the gauntlets are also enchanted.

Rolls

(Advantage for taking your time) - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Oct 15, 2015 3:41 pm
Pawetha leaves the stables and goes to retrieve her pack, left on the side of the path. On her return to the keep, she checks on the body of the minotaur.
Oct 15, 2015 4:06 pm
"More magical goodies, the staff's holy and the chain shirt and gloves are also glowin'. Anythin' interesting in the books Zaris?"
Oct 15, 2015 4:12 pm
Other than the heavily damaged breastplate, and the recently sharpened and bloodied great axe, the minotaur body has nothing of value. A search of the dead hobgoblins finds a total of 32 gold between the lot of them. On the floor beside the bed Zaris had hid under Pawetha finds a satchel with 351 gold pieces in it. The satchel is marked with a poor bit of embroidery that Pawetha infers is probably an image of a pair of horns, suggesting that it was the minotaur's possession.

Took some liberties there, hope that's ok.
Oct 15, 2015 4:19 pm
Pawetha returns to the tower where the rest of the party is. Satisfied that everyone is still alive and that the trap door is open, she decides to investigate the floor above.

OOC: That's perfect. I didn't want to bog down the action in the vault, but I also didn't want to assume that the rest of the keep was secure.
Oct 15, 2015 4:34 pm
Pawetha climbs up the stairs in the bed chamber and onto the second floor of the tower. The roof of this circular chamber has partially collapsed. Massive timbers slump against the floor, fallen from the rafters above. A huge gap in the east wall allows in a brisk breeze. Three large boulders lie on the floor amid halos of cracks.

Mounted about ten feet from the hole in the wall is what looks like a humanoid figure, lashed to a framework of wooden beams, arms upraised. A glow from beneath it illuminates the figure in a pale light. The reek of rotting flesh fills the room.

Cool. I didn't want to bog things down by making you search every corner and under every flagstone 1ed-style for a bit of gold!
Oct 15, 2015 5:18 pm
Pawetha draws her short sword and approaches the wooden framework, wary of the scent and cautious for the possibility of undead. Her eyes flit over to the source of the glow as she tries to determine what purpose this... thing... has here.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm
"Just personal journals by the namesake of the Keep," he says putting the book back down on the table. "I don't think there is anything useful to us though. He mentions needing to take out some giants in the Wood but I can't seem to tell when that was." He frowns and turns back towards the others in the room. "Looks like Xara found a good lot for us."

Zaris looks over the items but doesn't make a move over anything. He's content to use what he already has. "Where should we stash the coins? We could all put our share to good use back in the city."
Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm
"I'm going to need a bigger bag if I keep finding things this easily!" I rummage through the shinies. "Hey Kaiakas, that sword's got your name on it!" I divvy out anything else that seems to catch the eyes of my fellow travelor companions.
Last edited October 15, 2015 5:59 pm
Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm
"Do we want to bring the gold back to the city though? It seems we might have ourselves a base of operations what with the deed ya found." I gesture to the ruins around us "A little masonry, a good cleaning, and we can start really cleaning up the area. Say....where's that gnome gone to? Y'don't think she's found herself some trouble, do ya?"
Oct 15, 2015 7:05 pm
Slowly, carefully, I grasp the sword's handle and hold it close to my silver eyes, inspecting the blade. After a moment, I snap out of it and excuse myself. "I'll be ... back." I make my way back up through the trap door and gaze upon the oil painting. "Tiamat." I growl the name as I consider this painting and the holy symbol we already found. This doesn't bode well at all. Righteous anger wells up within me. A slow exhale prevents me from screaming.
I find a secluded spot that's hopefully as out of sight as possible, and I begin to pray. Seeking guidance, I commune with Tyr. The hobgoblins, this place, the holy symbol and painting... it all seems to be pointing to something.
There is a growing darkness. It must be stopped.
Realizing my path, I vow to Tyr to vanquish this evil. No matter what.
Suddenly, I'm blinded by a new light coming from my holy symbol. Even closing my eyes, the light bore into my mind. Overwhelmingly bright golden yellow streaked with crimson, the light finally subsided. My holy symbol had changed. Symbols were now etched with perfect precision all around the symbol.
[OOC: The script is Celestial, but Kaiakas doesn't know that language.]
Oct 15, 2015 8:29 pm
"Hey Corban, check out this magic stick I found on the bugbear. Don't say I never gave you nothing." I hand it over ceremoniously with much bowing. "What do you think, Zaris?"
Oct 15, 2015 8:45 pm
"I graciously accept your gift, peasant." Corban grabs the want to look it over. "What did he cast on us, anyway?"
Oct 15, 2015 9:35 pm
"Couldn't tell ya, but it stung. I'm sure you'll figure it out."
Oct 16, 2015 7:48 am
As Pawetha gets closer to the figure, she realize that beneath the rags is a corpse. A male human, and it smells like he's been dead about a week. Below the crude scarecrow is a flame, which she quickly realizes is the result of a continuous flame spell. It seems like there was a conscious effort to make it appear as if there was a ghoul or something like it living in the keep.

I should also remind you lot, there was also the map Xara collected off the bugbear. The writing on the map is in Goblin, and I know at least a couple of your can read that.
Oct 16, 2015 4:12 pm
Pawetha spits. The various pieces of information are starting to fit together in a crude drawing, and she doesn't like how it's starting to turn out.

The ranger decides that the poor sod lashed to the frame deserves better than this, and moves to free the deceased. At the very least, the man deserves to lie down for his rest. She places the corpse as best she can in a respectable position, ignoring the smell and deterioration in her hands.

Pawetha inspects the source of the Continual Flame and ponders the decision of whether or not to take possession. It's a practical and useful item, but the general setup of this keep indicates a greater organization than just a rudimentary band of hobgoblin marauders, and perhaps the absence of the flame may signal to others that something is amiss.

In the end, she decides to leave it where it is, and descends the staircase to the first floor. Pawetha sits cross-legged by the trap door and listens casually, twiddling the end of her fox-fur cloak.
Oct 16, 2015 4:27 pm
"Zaris, before I forget... these papers may be of interest to you. I'm not much of a reader, and the quality of this drawing won't fetch me much, I'm afraid." I hand him the deed, map, and whatever other loose papers I may have collected.
Oct 19, 2015 12:48 am
I begin moving toward Zaris and Xara to see if there's anything I can do to help. I make it two steps before an awful wracking cough overtakes my body, dropping me first to my knees and then again till I fall forward to my hands. Despite it being hostlered, my maul slides off my back shattering on the rough ground before me. In a moment between throat-scraping coughs, I weakly hold up a hand to forestall my companions from offering aid.
A few coughs from deep in my stomach bring up thick black ooze that looks much like the soul stuff that leapt from the foes I slew imbuing me with their temporary strength. The coughing subsides as I spit up the last of the ooze, which greasily coats the remnants of my maul. Green energy coruscates around the ooze and shards growing brighter and brighter in intensity until those looking upon it have to look away or shut their eyes.
When the glare finally dims, I'm sitting weakly holding a large obsidian-black book that seems to emanate malevolence. I wipe a tendril of ooze from my lips and chin throwing it to the ground and shakily get to my feet once more
Oct 19, 2015 1:17 am
After the spots from my eyes fade away, I look at Rurik with a mix of confusion and perhaps a little bit of fear. "Rurik, um... did you eat or drink something that you shouldn't have? And what is with that?" I stride over to him and reach out my hand as if to poke the book, but change my mind at the last moment. "Looks ominous. I mean, more ominous than usual. Are you... ok?"
Oct 19, 2015 1:34 am
After my moment alone in prayer, I make my way back to the group. I notice a strange green light fading just before I make the last corner. Worried, I raise my new blade ready for whatever I find.
Surprised to see the last bit of light fade from where Rurik sits, I hesitate. "Rurik. What ... what was that?" I have to ask. I have to say those words. Deep inside me, I know it had something to do with the foul power the dwarf wields. One day, my friend, you will be free of your dark master. One way or the other. The uncomfortable thoughts don't sit well with me as I finally lower my blade.
Oct 19, 2015 1:36 am
"Rurik! Zaris exclaims. "Are you alright?!" Zaris walks over to him and puts his hand on his shoulder, eyeing the black ooze on the ground.
Oct 19, 2015 1:47 am
"Aye, I'm f-fine....my....*ahem* master gifted me with knowledge." seeing Zaris eyeing the ooze, he smiles wanly "Try not to step in that....Now the book should hold a few rituals that should aid us, once I spend some time studying it."
Oct 19, 2015 2:48 am
Pawetha shivers at the sudden surge of energy, and peeks through the trap door. After a few moments sharing worried glances with Jorr, the conversation below seems to have calmed. Pawetha sits back down to continue her rest.
Oct 19, 2015 4:49 am
"Good then. We can use all the help we can get. Now, should we continue or make camp for the night? I'll leave it up to a vote. Who wants to continue?" I'm getting good at this leadership business. We're still alive!
Oct 19, 2015 11:34 am
Still uncomfortable with Rurik's ... manifestation, I turn to face Xara. "We should go, yes. Somehow, this is all connected. If these hobgoblins are serving Tiamat, then that does not bode well for ... anyone." I look around to see if anyone else agrees with me or understands my implication when I mention the name Tiamat.
Oct 19, 2015 11:41 am
After collecting any discarded arrows that were serviceable, Jorr had been quietly watching the castle grounds, occasionally glancing at Pawetha, and occasionally turning his attention to the whetstone he was slowly working against his long sword, "Can never be too prepared." He notes absently. A few moments pass and he looks up again, "Wasn't that bugbear carrying something? I looked over it and saw nothing there, but Xara had gotten to it first." He shrugs, "Something to ask her when that lot are done playing around in the pit."
Oct 19, 2015 12:33 pm
"This thing?" I grab the map from Zaris' hands and wave it around.
Oct 19, 2015 12:51 pm
"Aye." Jorr retreives the map from Xara and rolls it open. He studies it for a moment and frowns deeply, "Someone who can read goblin, and can translate readily into common, might want to translate this for everyone. Looks to me like we've stumbled onto something much bigger than a half dozen hobgoblins stinking up the ruins of this here keep."

With help from those who speak goblin, eventually everyone comes to read the map:

Map found in Vraath Keep

OOC: It's fair to assume, I think, that everyone has gravitated to the main area. While it's been a bit ambiguous who is in the vault still and who isn't, I don't want to lock the game down sorting out relatively minor details about continuity
Oct 19, 2015 1:56 pm
Looking over the map, I sneer at the notes scrawled in Goblin. "It looks like an attack is planned on this entire area." I move my finger across the map as I note the itinerary. "Beginning by a gathering at Cinder Hill. Hitting everyone along the Dawn Way. Ending at Brindol?" I issue a low, short growl. "No, not stopping there. What has spurred these creatures on to this?" I ask rhetorically of course.
[OOC: Where are we on this map?]
Oct 19, 2015 3:46 pm
"Huh. Someone or something got them all ruled up maybe?" I shrug. Can't say I know much about how goblins think. Maybe they just decided they wanted it all for themselves. Who knows.
Last edited October 19, 2015 3:46 pm
Oct 19, 2015 4:01 pm
Pawetha peeks between legs at the map and studies the goblin script as she listens to Kaiakas. "All tribes," she mutters, then turns to Jorr. "How many tribes are we talking about here?" she asks.

She tries to point at the bridge at Skull Gorge, but it is out of reach, and she settles for just indicating it as best she can. "It says someone named Ozurrendion will hold the bridge until the... 'Red Hand?' Until the Red Hand crosses. Seems like that was important enough to note."
Oct 19, 2015 4:12 pm
Jorr picks up his blade and slides it carefully into its sheath, "I couldn't say. Looks like they're converging from the Wyrmsmoke mountains. Only the most well equipped merchants dare brave those passes. Goblins, giants and all manner of uncivilized life call that place their home." He reaches in and points to the part of the map Pawetha is gesturing towards, "Skull Gorge Bridge. There are two ways to cross into the forest from the north. The bridge, which is about an hour along the Dawn Way from here, less time at a forced march. If not the bridge, then the other other option is to travel around the perimeter of the gorge to the Old Forest Road, which is just east of my cabin. The crossing at Old Forest Road is where the river is its narrowest and, on a nice day, is possible to ford. If you're trying to move wagons, or an army, the bridge at Skull Gorge is the route to take."
Oct 19, 2015 4:23 pm
"Can we destroy the bridge? Seems like that would be a good way to slow them down while we raise an army of our own, or least warn the people in their path."
Last edited October 19, 2015 4:24 pm
Oct 19, 2015 5:15 pm
"That's a sound tactical objective," says Pawetha, nodding to Corban. "These notes indicate there's a timeline at stake. Day 5 at Drellin's Ferry, Day 12 at Terrelton... Whatever we do to delay this Red Hand should help, at least as far as allowing... let's see... Brindol? Allowing Brindol time to reinforce."

Pawetha steps back from the map, feeling a tad claustrophobic amongst the taller folk. "I've got a bad feeling about this. There's a greater organization to this band. Allying with minotaurs and manticores... and that stable over there is used by numerous worgs, indicating a rotation of sorts. Patrols or scouts, maybe.

Upstairs, there was a scarecrow made out of a real person, lit up by magic flame. Someone wanted people to stay away from this building, and I'm guessing it was so that whoever was here could act as a vanguard. That means this has been in the works for quite some time.
"
Oct 19, 2015 5:22 pm
"Agreed, I think we need to find out more, at the very least we can scout the Gorge to see if they've already crossed the bridge, if not we can see what we're working with and possibly get a better idea of their status in this itinerary."
Oct 19, 2015 5:31 pm
"Then it is settled. Jorr, thank you for your assistance this far. Would you be willing to ride to Brindol? They must be warned. In fact, warn all along this road. We will do what we can, but should we fail someone must know of this attack."
Last edited October 19, 2015 5:31 pm
Oct 19, 2015 5:50 pm
Pawetha tugs at the paladin's chain mail, idly rubbing some of the links. She says in a low voice, ideally for only the tiefling's ears, "He might need more information, if folk are to believe his warnings. Maybe we ought to take him with us to the gorge?"
Oct 19, 2015 6:01 pm
"Hmmm, you are right. I suppose we don't have enough information to cause a panic, yet." I look to the map, wondering if that would be enough to convince people.
Oct 19, 2015 6:07 pm
"I figure we'll need numbers, at least," says Pawetha. "Are we dealing with a hundred hobgoblins, or a thousand? And what kind of allies, if minotaurs, manticores, and worgs aren't the only things they're dealing with. The map indicates lizard folk, and a... Ghostlord?"
Oct 19, 2015 6:14 pm
I peer at the map, going to tap a spot, then pausing and wiping my finger off. My blunt finger taps the edge that says "Ghostlord", "I dinnae know if the 'Ghostlord' is an ally, there's an arrow obscured by the H....maybe a warning?"
Oct 19, 2015 7:01 pm
Hopefully not an ally, as that would place him on the wrong side of the river for our comfort. Rurik, do you know anything about this 'Dwarf Bridge'? It seems they want to use that one as well, and perhaps it would be easier to demolish.
Oct 19, 2015 7:03 pm
"We're in luck there. The Dwarf Bridge has been out of use for a good while now. It was replaced with the ferry in Drellen's Ferry that you likely used to cross the river. That does mean that they'll be seeking to take Drellens Ferry, as it's their only route from the Witchwood to Brindol."
Oct 19, 2015 10:32 pm
"So our next move is...?" This much talk is giving me a headache. I'm not one to make "plans". I just go and do. It's worked for me this far!
Last edited October 19, 2015 10:33 pm
Oct 19, 2015 10:55 pm
Pawetha scratches at the back of her scalp, roughing up her hair. "I say we rest a bit, gather ourselves, and secure anything we want hidden someplace in this keep. Then north to Skull Gorge Bridge and see what we can find."

The ranger knows that sometimes a certain amount of distraction is needed to keep Xara occupied, and tosses the minotaur's coin purse at the rogue. "This came from the bull; you can add that to the stash from underground. And I think the manticore's nest may still have some inventory worth tracking."

Pawetha then waits to see what the rest of the party decides.

OOC: Total inside the purse is 383 gold pieces (351 from the minotaur, 32 from the hobgoblin bodies).
Oct 20, 2015 7:07 pm
"Well, I for one am exhausted." Corban says to Xara. "Let's secure our treasure and go find a nice place to make camp where we won't be disturbed by Worgs returning from patrol."

"Zaris, when I was unconscious, I think my mind put some things together about what we've been working on. We should discuss it at camp."

Corban tries on the Gauntlets, and shrugs to himself at the lack of fantastic bulging muscles emerging.

"Oh, and Z, this is for you," Corban tosses the wand to the wizard nonchalantly.
Oct 20, 2015 8:59 pm
Shaking his head, Zaris looks at each member of the team in turn. Deep in thought he gazes in the direction of where this bridge would be and gestures to Corban. "I agree with Corban, scouting the bridge should be a priority. We have no idea how many goblins are involved at this point." The wizard shakes his head again and looks up at Jorr. "The gorge seems like the best next move for us."
Last edited October 20, 2015 8:59 pm
Oct 20, 2015 9:05 pm
Jorr shoulders his bow and starts towards the gate to the keep, "Shall we head there immediately, or did you want to try and find somewhere to camp first? The forest isn't a safe place. There's the old Forest Giant Fortress about halfway between here and the gorge. Given the journal of the fellow who called this place home, which looks like it was raided by giants," He nods at the large boulders and equally large skeletons, "I'm going to bet the forest giant keep isn't in much better shape than this. To my knowledge, they're the only defensible locations one might settle down to rest for more than a moment."
Oct 20, 2015 9:18 pm
Pawetha nods at the suggestion. This is familiar dialogue from conversations she used to have with her comrades back home. "The fortress is a good idea," she says. "The map doesn't have that location marked, so either the hobgoblins haven't discovered it, or don't consider it worth anything. Though, hopefully it's not already occupied."

OOC: If the party heads out now, Pawetha will detour upstairs and see if she can take that item with the Continual Flame spell. Assuming it's easily transportable, that is.

Also OOC: Pawetha's fine with camping here, or at the fortress, so long as it's to make camp.
Last edited October 20, 2015 9:40 pm
Oct 20, 2015 9:21 pm
"I think it might be easier to fortify ourselves here, rather than run off wounded to possibly fight some giants in the next tower."

I vote for camping here I suppose, after Jorr's comment.
Oct 20, 2015 10:10 pm
"Alright, rest here then. We don't want anymore near death experiences, right Zaris? We could set up a guard schedule or something."
Oct 21, 2015 2:33 am
"Aye, resting here will allow me to plumb the mysteries of my new treasure"
Oct 21, 2015 2:43 am
Pawetha momentarily heads to the second floor of the tower, and returns holding a large rock (well, in her hands) alight with magical fire. "Someone could probably get some use out of this," she puffs, setting the stone on the floor. "It's too cumbersome for me, but it might save you a torch."

She dusts her hands, then grabs the canvas that was previously covering the oil painting. Pawetha drags it up the stairs. "I'll take first watch from above," she says, without looking back.

Oct 21, 2015 4:26 am
The word "treasure" catches my full attention. I turn slightly toward Rurik, suspicious of his acceptance of such a thing.
Oct 21, 2015 7:07 am
You settle down in the keep and rest for a while, rotating the watch so everyone gets a good and complete rest. The sun begins to set on the third watch rotation, and by the end the moon is hanging low in the sky, hidden by the tops of the trees from sight. The night sky is cloudless and pin pricks of star light shine through the black sheet of night above.

Jorr, who was the last watch rotation, sees a glimpse of movement at the front of the keep. He slips down from the tower and quietly slips through the main chamber where everyone in resting, gently rising each of you as he creeps towards the front of the castle. As you emerge from the building you see Jorr crouched behind the collapsed tower holding up 2 fingers and gesturing out of the tower gate. Those with keen eyes (darkvision) see two hobgoblin's inspecting the corpses of the worg and worg riders killed when you made our approach to the keep.

You started the rest in midafternoon or so, so 6-7 hours later means that we're in late evening, something like 9-10pm.

You are all fully rested (long rest is a success!)
You all gain Inspiration (remember that I removed the limit on 'max 1 inspiration' so just increment your inspiration)

If you normally wear armour, you probably didn't sleep in it. Donning light armour, we'll say, takes 3 rounds. Medium takes 6. You can help someone to cut 1 round off of their donning time. Or, you can go without. It takes no effort for you to grab your weapons / shields however.
Oct 21, 2015 7:30 am
As Jorr wakes me, he silences my grumbles and I know something is wrong. Danger is near. As quietly but which as I'm able, I don my armor and grab my shield and both swords. It's still dark and I worry about the glow of my new blade.
[OOC: Taking 6 rounds to put my chain mail on.]
Last edited October 21, 2015 11:34 am
Oct 21, 2015 11:22 am
I'm a light sleeper, so the moment I hear Jorr's footsteps, I jump out of bed and throw on my armor.
Oct 21, 2015 4:38 pm
Pawetha pockets a dagger, gathers her bow, and shoulders her quiver. She forgoes her armor in favor of quick deployment.

She nods at Jorr's signal and replies with her own. Two fingers at her eyes, then a flat hand towards the hole in the south wall. She points to herself, hits her ear, and indicates the group. Most would understand it to be "I will flank south to scout for more, and be ready to attack on your signal."
Last edited October 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Perception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Oct 21, 2015 8:37 pm
After Jorr nods to confirm her plans, Pawetha slips through the hole in the south wall and creeps around the side of the castle. She sees two hobgoblins and two large worgs. The worgs are saddled and sniffing the air. The hobgoblins are examining the bodies of a worg and two hobgoblins that were killed when her new companions had first made their way to the keep. She's too far to hear their whispered conversation, but they appear to be trying to decide what they want to do next and there's some disagreement. They haven't noticed Pawetha or Jorr moving.

Map Updated
Oct 22, 2015 8:13 pm
Hearing the commotion of the others, Zaris comes out of his elven trance and notices the others donning weapons and armor. He draws his crossbow and quickly loads a bolt into it. He moves into the tower room just south of where he was sleeping and attempts to climb the broken stairs to reach higher ground.

I'm not sure if that is possible, but he would try to get up and out of the way should the worgs enter the keep.
Oct 23, 2015 2:05 am
I start awake hearing the others begin moving around. I look down at my new book seeing that some of the sigils have revealed themselves to be the rituals Comprehend Languages and Unseen Servant the rest of the book remains frustratingly incoherent
Oct 23, 2015 9:52 am
Zaris climbs the stairs into the tower, and his darkvision allows him to make out the shapes of the hobgoblins and worgs milling around the front gate.

The worgs bristle at something, and one of them starts to growl lowly (Pawetha is the only one close enough to hear this). The hobgoblins stop examining the corpses, and start back towards this mounts.

1 Round has passed. Corban is dressed as requested, Xara has 2 rounds, Kaiakas has 5 rounds.

Player turn
Oct 23, 2015 3:58 pm
Pawetha curses silently; given the wind, the worgs have definitely picked up the scent. She cups her hands around her mouth and lets out a whistling bird call (similar to the tufted titmouse, a peter-peter-peter). It is both a warning of enemy activity and an indication that the ranger is ready.
Oct 23, 2015 4:36 pm
A single arrow sails from the front gate and slams into the shoulder of one of the hobgoblins. It is briefly staggered before it leaps on its mount and rallies its companion into action.

Jorr shoots, hits and deals 6 damage to Hobgoblin 1
Oct 23, 2015 5:10 pm
Corban rushes out the northern door, looking positively ridiculous wearing nothing but his chain hauberk and gauntlets. The darkness is overwhelming as he gets outside, but he makes his way towards the gate where Jorr gestured that the disturbance was. Corban advances determinedly, while thinking to himself that he probably should have waited for Kaiakas, but where would the fun be in that?

As Corban advances feeling vulnerable, his mind wanders back to a lesson Zaris taught him some time ago, and he desperately wished that he remembered the incantation, as that would likely help him quite a bit in his exposed condition. What was that word? Corban sees a small firefly flying around and is struck by inspiration, he stabs his sword into the ground, grabs the thing and gestures toward the gate, "Arivae". A brilliant light emerges above the gate. "Huh" Corban says to himself. "That's never worked before..."

Casting 'Light' over the gate.
Grendelthebrave sent a note to Candi

Rolls

HP roll, before it matters! - (1d10+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 23, 2015 5:32 pm
Pawetha's eyes flit over to the standalone building to the east of her, mentally planning out her next course of action. As she spies the wounded hobgoblin, she notes the close proximity between it and its mount. Pawetha pulls two arrows from her quiver and draws, sighting down the rider and worg; she lets fly with both arrows, one per target. She then moves behind the small building (#2 on map) to attempt a flank around the south.

OOC: Using Hunter's Prey: Horde-Breaker ability from Ranger archetype.

Rolls

Short Bow attack on Hobgoblin - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Damage on Hobgoblin - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Short Bow attack on Worg - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Damage on Worg - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 24, 2015 2:40 am
I'm grabbing my things, making sure I still have all the gold and magical items I've acquired. Once that's done I try to make my way towards wherever the others went.
Last edited October 27, 2015 3:00 am
Oct 25, 2015 2:06 pm
Pawetha's shot hits the hobgoblin and it slumps to the ground, dead. It's mount bristles and starts towards her, while the other hobgoblin climbs atop his worg.

Pawetha hits and kills a hobgoblin.

Zaris (and technically Rurik, who has 2 turns at the moment) is left to act. Kaiakas is still donning armour, but is welcome to post about it
Oct 27, 2015 1:53 am
Performing a mental checklist, I piece together my armor.
Humming a little tune while I don my armor. A certain song about glory I heard from a particularly drunk dwarf that frequented the church when I was young - so he could sober up.
Oct 27, 2015 10:38 am
The surviving hobgoblin mounts his worg and presses on towards the illuminated archway, and Corban standing below it. The two engage the poorly armoured fighter, the worg lashing out with a swipe of its claw and the hobgoblin following up with a jab from its spear. Corban steps aside from the claw attack, and instinctively raises his arm to block the spear with a shield that isn't there... there's a flash of blue light and the spear is deflected off an arcane barrier hovering above Corban's arm that quickly begins to fade.

The remaining worg turns on Pawetha and lunges at her, but the druid easily steps to the side to avoid the overly aggressive creature.

Bad attack rolls all around, and the good one was foiled by Corban's shield spell.

Players are up, Xara is ready to get into the action, Kaiakas still has a couple rounds. Zaris has 2 actions. Rurik is snoring.
Oct 27, 2015 12:07 pm
I run towards the worg that Corban is messing with. If I'm not too exhausted by the time I get there, I give it a slash with my rapier.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 27, 2015 12:08 pm
Xara rushes to Corban's aid and drives her rapier into the worgs side. The creature yelps in pain as an arrow, fire by Jorr who is now standing atop the front most boulder, strikes the worg in the other side. It tries to retreat, but its rider urges it to remain fighting and it obeys.

Hit, 8 damage. Jorr also hits.

Corban, Pawetha, Zaris x2, Kaiakas getting more dressed if you like
Oct 27, 2015 12:28 pm
[OOC: Yup. Let me know when my 6 rounds are up.]
There are more straps and parts to my armor than I remember. Has someone played a trick on me? This feels tighter than before.
Last edited October 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Oct 27, 2015 3:35 pm
Corban's eyes go wide as the shield spell activates. What is going on? He thinks to himself. His focus only disturbed for a moment, he sets into action, using the hobgoblin's equal surprise at his shield to slash at an opening in the monster's defence.

Rolls

(11) + 5 = 16

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Woops. D8 damage - (1D8+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Oct 27, 2015 4:28 pm
Pawetha tries to put some distance between herself and the worg, as well as draw the beast away from its companion. She moves back west towards the hole in the southern wall of the keep, and as she nears, the ranger fires an arrow at the worg attacking her.

This will hopefully buy the rest of the group some time to finish off the other hobgoblin.

Rolls

(3) + 7 = 10

Damage on Worg - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 27, 2015 4:40 pm
In one smooth blow Corban beheads the hobgoblin. It slumps and falls off of the saddle, leaving its mount free to follow its instinct and bolt. It turns and runs through the gate, seeking the freedom of the wilds.

Pawetha misses her shot on the other worg, which forgoes an opportunity to snap at her to make its own retreat. It quickly vanishes beyond sight and into the thickness of the woods.

Corban hits and kills hobgoblin. Worg 1 flees, provoking attacks of opportunity from Corban and Xara. Worg 2 also flees, getting away into the woods.

Kaiaks is half dressed now. Rurik is still snoring and, after the opportunity attacks, you can take actions.
Oct 27, 2015 4:41 pm
In an attempt to keep the Worg from fleeing to allies, Corban takes a swing at the beast.

Rolls

(5) + 5 = 10

Damage w/ Longsword - (1d8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Oct 27, 2015 7:53 pm
I stab again at the fleeing worg, this time aiming for its neck.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 27, 2015 9:30 pm
The worg gets away from both Corban and Xara. It nears the edge of the woods, still just barely within the range of Corban's glowing light that hovers over the collapsed gate.

Player turn.
Oct 27, 2015 10:22 pm
Pawetha spits as her target vanishes into the treeline. She turns her attention to the sounds of continued combat and maneuvers into line-of-sight with the remaining worg. She slides into a kneeling position, one leg bracing for stability. Drawing her bow and leading the beast, Pawetha lets her arrow fly.

Last edited October 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Rolls

(2) + 7 = 9

Damage on Worg - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 27, 2015 11:41 pm
"Why oh why can't we just have a few hours of peace?!" Zaris pleads to the sky. He aims his crossbow at the worg and let's the bolt fly hoping to further deter it from bothering the group.

Rolls

cross bow - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

damage - (1d8, 1d8)

1d8 : (2) = 2

1d8 : (6) = 6

Oct 27, 2015 11:42 pm
The wizard shakes his head, part in anger and part in frustration as the bolt goes careening off course. "Blast it all!"
Oct 28, 2015 8:37 am
Jorr fires his own arrow at the retreating worg, but the creature must to be cloaked in good fortune as that too slams into a tree to the left of it - missing it by a wide margin.

The creature vanishes into the woods, and in the thickness of night pursuing it would be foolish.

Combat is over. I know Xara and Corban could have run after it, but you'd all definitively won at this point so why not let the poor worg get away ; ) Kaiakas is now dressed.

Candi sent a note to CancerMan

Rolls

Roll! - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Oct 28, 2015 3:14 pm
With swords sheathed and crossbow in hand, I run out the door to join my comrades. Seeing no one ready for battle, I look around, confused. "What happened?"
Oct 28, 2015 3:35 pm
"ahh, there you are sleepy head! Don't worry, you look fabulous in that armour." Corban grins at Kaiakas I'm the flow of his magical light while looking for somewhere to wipe the blood off his sword. "Don't worry, Xara scared off the big one, isn't that right Xara?"
Feeling the chill on his exposed legs, Corban starts back toward the tower to collect the rest of his gear.
Oct 28, 2015 5:13 pm
I squint at Corban. "If I'm going into battle, then I want to make sure I'm prepared." After a deep sigh, I confine, "Well now that we're all awake, what now?"
Last edited October 28, 2015 7:52 pm
Oct 28, 2015 7:35 pm
Pawetha spends some time recovering what arrows she can. She also inspects the bodies of the hobgoblins, looking for any confirming signs that they were with the Red Hand, as well as any intelligence these scouts might have recovered.
Oct 28, 2015 11:43 pm
Peering into the dark, the wizard strains his elven eyes to the maximum of their ability. He calls down to his friends from the tower, "It would appear the worg has run off quite some distance now." He peers a bit longer before shrugging ever so slightly and descending the stairs to join the others.

"Are you alright Corban?" he asks his friend.
Oct 28, 2015 11:47 pm
Pawthea has no trouble finding red hand insignia on the hobgoblins, their body armour - of roughly made leather - proudly displays the red hand on the chest. She finds no indication of recorded intelligence. If they were scouts, the knowledge they had died with them.
Oct 29, 2015 12:17 am
Pawetha returns to the courtyard and joins those standing above the second hobgoblin. She kneels and digs her hands inside the armor, feeling around with a mildly inquisitive expression. Not finding what she was hoping for, Pawetha stands and flicks her bloodied hands of gore, not very mindful of whoever is in close proximity.

The ranger absently wipes her face and nose with her bare arm, which does little more than rearrange the dirt and sweat on her small features. "Since we're up, I want breakfast," she says. Almost instinctively, she glances down at the headless body.
Oct 29, 2015 1:06 pm
"Your're welcome to some of my rations," Zaris says to Pawetha, frowning at the headless corpse on the ground.
Oct 29, 2015 10:07 pm
"I'm good Zaris! A little confused though. See that light over there?" Corban indicates the floating orb of light over the gate. "That was me! I think I might actually be starting to figure this magic stuff out." Corban scratches his chin thoughtfully, then continues, "must have been when the Manticore knocked me out, must have rattled some of your lost lessons into place."
Oct 30, 2015 4:52 am
"Yes yes, they ran as quickly as they could out of here. Not that surprising, but thank you for noticing! Er- Paws, are you looking for something?" I peer at the dead body as if by just looking at it I can help her find it, even though I don't know what 'it' is.
Oct 30, 2015 5:04 am
"Just checking if they have anything to report," answers Pawetha. "These were scouts returning from patrol. I hoped they would have written something down to indicate where they've wandered or what they've seen, but I guess that was wishful thinking. They probably make verbal reports to the hobbo in the robes taking a dirt nap over there."

The ranger busies herself with stoking the fire to boil water. Tea sounds really good for these kinds of mornings.

"Ah well," she says. "At least we won't have to worry about their mounts. Those worgs will roam wild for a bit, maybe form an independent pack of their own." Pawetha pauses, then looks at Jorr. "Sorry about that. Another bit of trouble for your woods."
Oct 31, 2015 3:02 am
"Welp, either way I'm well rested. Should we keep moving on then? Maybe we'll find a couple more tonight that we can catch by surprise?"
Oct 31, 2015 11:02 am
Jorr nods, "We may need our own light, the dawn way is mostly free of growth and so we should be able to keep it to a minimum, maybe shield it. One advantage of nightfall, is that if there is activity at the bridge, we'll see the glow of their fires and lights well before they see us." He unstrings his bow and prepares his pack, "We can go as soon as you are all ready. It's probably best to store anything you don't need in the vault here, to keep your packs light and your feet lighter."
Oct 31, 2015 4:52 pm
"That rock I found upstairs will save us a torch in that regard," says Pawetha, indicating the Continual Flame. She boils some water, then adds a few herbs and tea leaves. As the hot liquid steeps, Pawetha begins to pack her bedroll and secure her meager belongings.
Nov 2, 2015 5:47 am
"I prefer traveling in the dark for the element of surprise, but suit yourself." I shrug. At Jorr's mention of storing our belongings, I hold onto my pack just a liiiiittle tighter.
Nov 2, 2015 12:14 pm
"Oh right, I suppose now's as good a time as any. Here's some shinies I found." I reluctantly dole out 450 gold to each party member, other than Paws. "Paws, you short on coin?"
Last edited November 2, 2015 12:16 pm
Nov 2, 2015 4:15 pm
Pawetha shrugs. "I'm fine for now. When we get to town, I'll need to restock some of my arrows," she says, glancing into her quiver. "Besides, this is reconnaissance. I want to travel light and quiet. I'm sure we'll return here on our way back to Drellin's Ferry."
Nov 2, 2015 4:23 pm
"Thanks Xara, but Pawetha is right, I'll leave the jingles in the vault for the moment. Let's move out, the sooner we see what's up at the bridge, the sooner we can get back to our loot then civilization.
Nov 2, 2015 9:27 pm
I stir, rolling over and toppling the gold Xara has stacked carefully beside my sleeping form. The loud jingling pulls me out of my deep slumber. I finally stagger to the rest of the group with a jaw-cracking yawn "what'd I miss?" I slur sleepily
Nov 3, 2015 2:12 am
"Same for me," Zaris adds, motioning his share of coin towards the vault. "I'm quite curious as to what we may find near this bridge." He looks at Corban and smiles. "Yes, your skills in magic are improving nicely."
Nov 3, 2015 8:54 am
Having stored some of the gold in the vault, and pulled the carpet and bed back overtop the trap door to minimize the chance that a returning scouting party searching the place finds it, you set out. The dawn way winds deeper into the woods, which feel all together more ominous in the dark. The low flickering light of the rock that glows with continuous flame provides enough illumination for those without the blessing of night eyes to see.

You come to a spot where a wide track leads away from the road, hanging west. A massive effigy of some kind stands here, a fifteen-foot-tall humanoid shape made from a sagging, moss-covered frame. The thing looks almost like a crude giant-sized skeleton made of wood. Birds nest in the massive barrel that serves as the effigy's head.

Jorr nods towards the wide westward road, "This leads to the home of the old Twistuk Tribe, a band of forest giants. The road straight ahead leads to Skull Gorge." He pauses, to allow you the opportunity to decide if you carry on to the bridge, or divert here to see the ruins of the forest giant village, as left by Vraath, the original owner of the keep.
Nov 3, 2015 9:03 am
"The lord's writings indicated that he'd taken care of all the giants," Pawetha wonders aloud. "Though the skeletons around the keep suggest otherwise."

To Jorr, she asks, "Have there been many forest giants active in the area recently? If not, might be good idea to scout the place and determine if it's a defensible position should we need to retreat from the gorge in haste." She looks to the rest of the party to gauge their reaction.
Nov 3, 2015 9:08 am
Jorr shakes his head, "To be honest, until we read that journal back at the keep I wasn't aware that the forest giants were such a menace in these woods. I knew they lived over here, but they kept to themselves mostly. I hadn't noticed they'd been eradicated... but I also hadn't much noticed that they'd been here in the first place."
Nov 3, 2015 11:16 am
I consider Jorr's words. "It seems these hobgoblins are more organized than one would expect. They've been preparing." My thoughts go back to the painting of Tiamat, knowing none of this bodes well. "Yes, Paws is correct." I smile at the gnome, approving of her tactics. "We should be prepared as well."
Nov 3, 2015 9:58 pm
Zaris nods in agreement with Pawetha. "I was almost killed back there," the elf says in a flat, even tone. "I would prefer that we have some sort of escape route should we need one." He looks up at the effigy and frowns. "If we are getting messed up with Tiamat, I would prefer to be as prepared as possible. How far back to the ruins Jorr?"
Nov 3, 2015 10:08 pm
"Not long. We'll reach the gorge by the time the moon is at its peak if we detour. The old forest giant fort is easily closer to the gorge than Vraath Keep." At that, he leads you down the wide path towards the forest giant fort, and briefly away from the dawn way.

The old track is easy to follow, although clearly neglected for years. It comes to an abrupt end in the shadow of a fairly large hill that looms up from the surrounding woodlands. At the hill's base sits the collapsed ruin of what was once a massive and probably quite impressive wooden fortress. Entire trees were used to form the walls of this building, but now the whole thing is little more than a heap of moss-covered, rotting logs. A thin curl of smoke rises up from a great fire pit in the middle of the old walls, where an enormous boar sizzles on a spit the size of a lance.

A giant sits by the fire, turning the spit and muttering to himself in his own language. He is extraordinarily tall and lean, with stooped shoulders, earth-yellow skin marked by angry red blotches, and a wild mane and beard of tangled green hair. He easily tops ten feet, even while sitting on the ground.

As you near him, you easily can make out what he is saying to himself in Common... "Not as good as owlbear, but good enough for an old bag of bones like me."

You are a few feet from the outer ring of the fort, which is two dozen or so feet from the old giant. He hasn't noticed you yet.
Nov 3, 2015 10:20 pm
Pawetha instinctively makes herself smaller than she thought possible. "Great," she hisses, quietly and sarcastically. She observes the giant and the keep, trying to ascertain the creature's demeanor and also determine if there are more. She wracks her brain, trying to remember what her old enclave taught about forest creatures.

OOC: Not sure if I'm using the right skills, or if it's possible to use them. Remove if I used too many.

Rolls

Insight to Giant's demeanor - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Perception on the keep itself - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Nature (?) of Forest Giants - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Nov 3, 2015 10:25 pm
Pawetha sees no other giants, and as if to confirm her observations she hears the giant's next rant to himself clear as day, "All gone, all dead, all but me. Poor old Warklegnaw!" To her he seems hungry, and very probably sick. The red blotches and colour of his skin suggests that he is in the grips of something rather serious.

She recalls that forest giants are relatively enclosed creatures. Keeping mostly to themselves, except the occasional raid on a merchant band or scooping up a few livestock from nearby farms. They worship the forests, are keen to use every bit of creatures they kill and can be quite proficient at woodcraft.
Nov 4, 2015 3:37 am
I shrug toward the others, then attempt to walk past the giant (behind it if possible) without being noticed.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Nov 4, 2015 9:55 am
Xara tries to get close, but as soon as she is within the perimeter of the fortress the giant says "Whose there?!" then struggles to his feet and turns. Seeing the little human, he rests a tired hand on his club and shouts, "You little worms won't get me! You did for my kith and kin, but you won't get me!"

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 4, 2015 12:14 pm
"Who said anything about getting you? Come get me!" Then I run in the opposite direction of the party, attempting to draw him out and away from them.
Nov 4, 2015 12:19 pm
The giant raises his fist and shakes it in the air, "Don't play games with ol' Warklegnaw. Get out of here, then. Be gone." He seems to be quite contented that Xara decided to run away.
Nov 4, 2015 12:25 pm
Panting, I circle back to the group. "Well, that was disappointing. What are we doing again?"
Nov 4, 2015 12:34 pm
Seeing the exchange between Xara and Warklegnaw, I'm intrigued and whisper to those close to me. "Hmmm, this one doesn't seem overly aggressive or blood thirsty. Perhaps we should try another tactic. Any suggestions?"
Nov 4, 2015 4:08 pm
Pawetha remains crouched, rocking slightly on her toes. "Hungry and sick," says Pawetha. "Perhaps we can parlay? Forest giants are reclusive, and as we've seen, this one is alone and not particularly inclined to fight."
Nov 4, 2015 7:27 pm
Approving of the suggestion, I smile at Paws. "I think it's worth a try, but we must still be cautious."
Nov 4, 2015 7:53 pm
"Agreed, why don't Kaiakas and I go in, he can do the talking and the rest of you can cover us from the shadows."
Nov 4, 2015 10:23 pm
Pawetha appears satisfied with that, and content to remain where she is. She nocks an arrow, but does not draw the bow.
Nov 4, 2015 11:07 pm
Zaris moves over towards Pawetha and then stands just off and behind her left shoulder. The elf pulls the wand of magic missiles out and holds it ready. "I pray it won't come to this," he whispers.
Nov 5, 2015 1:32 am
I'm standing off to the side lamenting the half-pile of coins I was coerced into leaving behind in the vault. I swear, if anything happens to my share...
Nov 7, 2015 9:09 am
Jorr prepares his bow and nods, "Kaiakas and Corban then. At the first sign of trouble."

That is the plan, yes? If so, with your next post Kaiakas and/or Corban - make a Persuasion roll
Nov 7, 2015 1:33 pm
With weapons sheathed and hands in front of me about waist height in a sign of welcoming and friendship, I walk out of the clearing and greet the giant. "Well met, great Warklegnaw!" I make sure to smile sincerely at the giant. "I wonder if we could have a moment of your time."
[OOC: I'm using my Inspiration here because I don't want to fuck it up.]
[OOC: Of-freaking-course. Corban better roll better than I.]
Last edited November 7, 2015 1:35 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 7, 2015 4:39 pm
Seeing the not so smooth introduction, Corban tries to recover. "Greetings tall one, we're just passing through. It sounded like you were lamenting the loss of your people, what happened to them?"

Rolls

Straight zero Charisma... - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Nov 7, 2015 4:51 pm
Pawetha half-smiles. "I think this will go wonderfully well," she says, though her tone is not quite as confident.
Nov 8, 2015 4:24 pm
"I should have been the one to do the talking," Zaris mumbles to himself noting the flat affect of the giant.
Nov 9, 2015 8:09 am
The forest giant glares at you, begins to heft his club and shouts back, "Little ones like you murdered them! Don't be thinkin' I'll be letting you do the the same to me! I'll smash you like I smashed their fort."

Kaiakas can tell that the giant seems to be feigning aggression. While he hefts his club, his stance remains passive and his body language suggests, to Kaiakas, that the giant isn't actually interested in a fight.

Source: Passive Insight
Nov 9, 2015 5:26 pm
"What the hell! We're letting them do the talking now?" I walk over to the group and yell over them towards the giant. "Hey buddy, it's me again! How's it going? I brought some friends with me. Maybe you can help us! No smashing necessary!"
Last edited November 9, 2015 5:26 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Nov 9, 2015 9:21 pm
The forest giant's brow furrows, "More of ye 'ttle 'uns comin' outta' the woods." He sighs heavily and lets his club drop to the ground and leans on it, helping himself to sit back down, "Well, if yer not here to fight." He beckons you forward, "Have some roast boar, you're very little and could use extra meat on yer bones."
Nov 10, 2015 12:27 am
As if on cue, Pawetha's stomach growls.

Almost before she can stop herself, the ranger stands, barely topping the brush with the crown of her fox-headed cloak. She advances, warily, for there is still the instinctive inclination to hide her small frame from the largest beings.
Nov 10, 2015 1:55 am
For a long moment, I stand frozen in stunned silence as the others make more headway with the giant than I did. Slowly, I lower my arms from their welcoming outstretch and walk toward the meal we were just invited to. I'm left feeling uneasy about the whole thing. As I quietly partake, mumbling my thanks.
Nov 10, 2015 6:05 am
Pawetha whispers in an aside to party, "We should offer something in return. Food, medicine, something of value." She considers her own thoughts for a moment. "No idea what a giant finds valuable."
Nov 10, 2015 7:47 am
As you all come around, Warklegnaw tears off hunks of the roast dire boar and hands it to each of you. The meat is well cooked, and very flavourful. It has been gently spiced with forest herbs, and you detect a hint of ground mushroom. Clearly the forest giant is quite the cook.

As Pawetha suggests a gift, Xara recalls that you had found a giant-sized magic gauntlet in the vault, which she is presently wearing.
Nov 10, 2015 4:20 pm
Whatever reservations Pawetha had is immediately gone as the aroma hits her senses. She does not bother with utensils nor does she push back her hood or hair, grabbing the meat with both hands and digging her face into the flesh. For all intents and purposes, it looks like a mangy starved fox gorging itself on a kill.
Nov 10, 2015 9:27 pm
I look of shock crosses Zaris's face watching Pawetha tear into the boar like an animal. He reminds himself that not everyone was raised with his manners and dining etiquette. "I'll have just a small piece please," Zaris says to the giant while digging into his pack for a plate and utensils. "Thank you for your kindness friend," he adds before sitting to enjoy the boar
Nov 10, 2015 10:47 pm
"Thank you, Warklegnaw. What a generous offer! A delicious meal shared among new friends. Who could ask for anything more?" I take a moment to savor the meal before I continue. "So, dear Giant friend, tell us your troubles. How many others have come this way? This is going surprisingly well.
Nov 11, 2015 6:28 pm
"sure as hell beats dry bread rations..." Corban takes he offered meat with his thanks. He sits back, happy that diplomacy duty is back in Xara's capable hands.
Nov 11, 2015 6:36 pm
Warklegnaw shrugs, "No little 'uns since those that killed my kin. Just been ol' Warklegnaw keepin' on. No, the forest is quiet, and has been since we chased them from the keep up yonder." He takes a giant-sized bite of the roast boar before continuing on, "As for me troubles. Well, I'm aching and tired." He looks around with meat hanging from his mouth, "But that dun' mean I can't bash ya' into pulp if yur thinkin' o' makin' a move on ol' Warklegnaw."
Nov 11, 2015 9:15 pm
"We have no interest in harming you," Zaris says with sincerity.
Nov 11, 2015 9:17 pm
Warklegnaw relaxes a bit, "Then what're ye' doin' in the woods?"
Nov 11, 2015 11:01 pm
Pawetha pauses in her feeding. "Hobgoblins and bugbears," she mutters, mouth full. "They've been massing into a big army, probably gonna head through here. We aim to find out how many and how soon." She points north with a handful of dripping meat. "There's a bridge there that we think they're gonna cross. We're headed there to see what we can see."

She then takes a swig from her waterskin.
Nov 12, 2015 12:44 am
I say, between mouthfuls, "We're gonna kill 'em all. Hey, this meat is fantastic! Where did you learn to cook like this?"
Nov 12, 2015 7:56 am
Warklegnaw shrugs, "Chief's gotta' know how ta' keep the clan happy. Good food, makes happy clan." He stretches out his arms and tests his grip on his club, then says, "Hobgoblins an' bugbears? Yer' convincin' me then. I'll come smash em' with ya'."
Nov 12, 2015 6:05 pm
Pawetha pauses, and steals a glance at Xara and the others. While she respects the presence of this giant as an ally, he seems a bit old and fragile, especially with the patches of red along his skin indicating some kind of illness.
Nov 12, 2015 6:29 pm
"It'll be good to have you along for our journey. However, hopefully we won't see too much action on this trip it is primarily a scouting venture. I can't imagine situations where having a giant's strength will help us to take down that bridge though, that would be ideal."

Rolls

Diplomacy, if you meant me - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Nov 12, 2015 6:41 pm
"You're sure you're up for the task? I know you're not too fond of those guys, but you've got a cozy home here. We wouldn't want to disrupt your comfortable life any more than we already have!" Xara, Savior of the bugbear and goblin scourge. Friend of Giants. Oh yes, the tales they'll sing about me will be remembered for decades to come.

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Nov 13, 2015 8:02 am
Warklegnaw stretches a bit as he stands up after finishing his meal, "It's decided. I'll be along. Lead the way 'ittle 'uns"
Nov 13, 2015 8:31 am
A phrase comes to mind at that declaration. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. I smile and stand, mirroring our new friend's stretch, and look to Jorr. "Please, lead on."
Nov 13, 2015 10:32 am
Jorr stands, shoulders his bow and takes one last bite of the hunk of boar he was eating, "Alright then. Did we still want to scout ahead? It may be difficult to skulk up with our new friend. Might be best to get near to the gorge, then send a couple quiet scouts in advance to gather information and report back." He takes a flask of oil out of his pack, "We could make sure the scouts have oil doused arrows to send up a signal if things go belly up."
Nov 13, 2015 12:07 pm
"Excellent news! Glad to have you on board, Warklegnaw!" I give him a pat on his elbow. "I'd gladly scout ahead. Paws, you with me?"
Nov 13, 2015 4:31 pm
Pawetha nods with her mouth full, wiping her oily hands clean. She shoulders her bow and her pack, then looks up at Warklegnaw. She masticates the boar for a bit as she thinks, then swallows. "What'd ya got, anyway?" she asks, looking at the red blotches.
Nov 13, 2015 4:57 pm
The giant touches one of the sore spots on his shoulder, "Dunno', been gettin' worse as its gotten colder though." Pawetha hasn't seen this particular condition before, but her familiarity with life in the wilds and the kinds of ailments that plague creatures when they age suggests to her that ol' Warklegnaw is unlikely to survive the coming winter. Especially if it's a hard one.

Source: "Passive" Nature/Medicine (I like the idea of 'passive' checks, so I implement them all the time with skills other than Perception and Insight. Sometimes, there are things your character simple knows)
Nov 16, 2015 10:57 am
With the changing of the day, comes a changing of the thread. The adventure continues here!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.