Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Oct 23, 2015 9:52 am
Zaris climbs the stairs into the tower, and his darkvision allows him to make out the shapes of the hobgoblins and worgs milling around the front gate.

The worgs bristle at something, and one of them starts to growl lowly (Pawetha is the only one close enough to hear this). The hobgoblins stop examining the corpses, and start back towards this mounts.

1 Round has passed. Corban is dressed as requested, Xara has 2 rounds, Kaiakas has 5 rounds.

Player turn
Oct 23, 2015 3:58 pm
Pawetha curses silently; given the wind, the worgs have definitely picked up the scent. She cups her hands around her mouth and lets out a whistling bird call (similar to the tufted titmouse, a peter-peter-peter). It is both a warning of enemy activity and an indication that the ranger is ready.
Oct 23, 2015 4:36 pm
A single arrow sails from the front gate and slams into the shoulder of one of the hobgoblins. It is briefly staggered before it leaps on its mount and rallies its companion into action.

Jorr shoots, hits and deals 6 damage to Hobgoblin 1
Oct 23, 2015 5:10 pm
Corban rushes out the northern door, looking positively ridiculous wearing nothing but his chain hauberk and gauntlets. The darkness is overwhelming as he gets outside, but he makes his way towards the gate where Jorr gestured that the disturbance was. Corban advances determinedly, while thinking to himself that he probably should have waited for Kaiakas, but where would the fun be in that?

As Corban advances feeling vulnerable, his mind wanders back to a lesson Zaris taught him some time ago, and he desperately wished that he remembered the incantation, as that would likely help him quite a bit in his exposed condition. What was that word? Corban sees a small firefly flying around and is struck by inspiration, he stabs his sword into the ground, grabs the thing and gestures toward the gate, "Arivae". A brilliant light emerges above the gate. "Huh" Corban says to himself. "That's never worked before..."

Casting 'Light' over the gate.
Grendelthebrave sent a note to Candi

Rolls

HP roll, before it matters! - (1d10+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 23, 2015 5:32 pm
Pawetha's eyes flit over to the standalone building to the east of her, mentally planning out her next course of action. As she spies the wounded hobgoblin, she notes the close proximity between it and its mount. Pawetha pulls two arrows from her quiver and draws, sighting down the rider and worg; she lets fly with both arrows, one per target. She then moves behind the small building (#2 on map) to attempt a flank around the south.

OOC: Using Hunter's Prey: Horde-Breaker ability from Ranger archetype.

Rolls

Short Bow attack on Hobgoblin - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Damage on Hobgoblin - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Short Bow attack on Worg - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Damage on Worg - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 24, 2015 2:40 am
I'm grabbing my things, making sure I still have all the gold and magical items I've acquired. Once that's done I try to make my way towards wherever the others went.
Last edited October 27, 2015 3:00 am
Oct 25, 2015 2:06 pm
Pawetha's shot hits the hobgoblin and it slumps to the ground, dead. It's mount bristles and starts towards her, while the other hobgoblin climbs atop his worg.

Pawetha hits and kills a hobgoblin.

Zaris (and technically Rurik, who has 2 turns at the moment) is left to act. Kaiakas is still donning armour, but is welcome to post about it
Oct 27, 2015 1:53 am
Performing a mental checklist, I piece together my armor.
Humming a little tune while I don my armor. A certain song about glory I heard from a particularly drunk dwarf that frequented the church when I was young - so he could sober up.
Oct 27, 2015 10:38 am
The surviving hobgoblin mounts his worg and presses on towards the illuminated archway, and Corban standing below it. The two engage the poorly armoured fighter, the worg lashing out with a swipe of its claw and the hobgoblin following up with a jab from its spear. Corban steps aside from the claw attack, and instinctively raises his arm to block the spear with a shield that isn't there... there's a flash of blue light and the spear is deflected off an arcane barrier hovering above Corban's arm that quickly begins to fade.

The remaining worg turns on Pawetha and lunges at her, but the druid easily steps to the side to avoid the overly aggressive creature.

Bad attack rolls all around, and the good one was foiled by Corban's shield spell.

Players are up, Xara is ready to get into the action, Kaiakas still has a couple rounds. Zaris has 2 actions. Rurik is snoring.
Oct 27, 2015 12:07 pm
I run towards the worg that Corban is messing with. If I'm not too exhausted by the time I get there, I give it a slash with my rapier.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 27, 2015 12:08 pm
Xara rushes to Corban's aid and drives her rapier into the worgs side. The creature yelps in pain as an arrow, fire by Jorr who is now standing atop the front most boulder, strikes the worg in the other side. It tries to retreat, but its rider urges it to remain fighting and it obeys.

Hit, 8 damage. Jorr also hits.

Corban, Pawetha, Zaris x2, Kaiakas getting more dressed if you like
Oct 27, 2015 12:28 pm
[OOC: Yup. Let me know when my 6 rounds are up.]
There are more straps and parts to my armor than I remember. Has someone played a trick on me? This feels tighter than before.
Last edited October 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Oct 27, 2015 3:35 pm
Corban's eyes go wide as the shield spell activates. What is going on? He thinks to himself. His focus only disturbed for a moment, he sets into action, using the hobgoblin's equal surprise at his shield to slash at an opening in the monster's defence.

Rolls

Attack 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Woops. D8 damage - (1D8+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Oct 27, 2015 4:28 pm
Pawetha tries to put some distance between herself and the worg, as well as draw the beast away from its companion. She moves back west towards the hole in the southern wall of the keep, and as she nears, the ranger fires an arrow at the worg attacking her.

This will hopefully buy the rest of the group some time to finish off the other hobgoblin.

Rolls

(3) + 7 = 10

Damage on Worg - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 27, 2015 4:40 pm
In one smooth blow Corban beheads the hobgoblin. It slumps and falls off of the saddle, leaving its mount free to follow its instinct and bolt. It turns and runs through the gate, seeking the freedom of the wilds.

Pawetha misses her shot on the other worg, which forgoes an opportunity to snap at her to make its own retreat. It quickly vanishes beyond sight and into the thickness of the woods.

Corban hits and kills hobgoblin. Worg 1 flees, provoking attacks of opportunity from Corban and Xara. Worg 2 also flees, getting away into the woods.

Kaiaks is half dressed now. Rurik is still snoring and, after the opportunity attacks, you can take actions.
Oct 27, 2015 4:41 pm
In an attempt to keep the Worg from fleeing to allies, Corban takes a swing at the beast.

Rolls

Attack 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Damage w/ Longsword - (1d8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Oct 27, 2015 7:53 pm
I stab again at the fleeing worg, this time aiming for its neck.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 27, 2015 9:30 pm
The worg gets away from both Corban and Xara. It nears the edge of the woods, still just barely within the range of Corban's glowing light that hovers over the collapsed gate.

Player turn.
Oct 27, 2015 10:22 pm
Pawetha spits as her target vanishes into the treeline. She turns her attention to the sounds of continued combat and maneuvers into line-of-sight with the remaining worg. She slides into a kneeling position, one leg bracing for stability. Drawing her bow and leading the beast, Pawetha lets her arrow fly.

CancerMan sent a note to Candi
Last edited October 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Rolls

(2) + 7 = 9

Damage on Worg - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 27, 2015 11:41 pm
"Why oh why can't we just have a few hours of peace?!" Zaris pleads to the sky. He aims his crossbow at the worg and let's the bolt fly hoping to further deter it from bothering the group.

Rolls

cross bow - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

damage - (1d8, 1d8)

1d8 : (2) = 2

1d8 : (6) = 6

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.