Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Nov 2, 2015 9:27 pm
I stir, rolling over and toppling the gold Xara has stacked carefully beside my sleeping form. The loud jingling pulls me out of my deep slumber. I finally stagger to the rest of the group with a jaw-cracking yawn "what'd I miss?" I slur sleepily
Nov 3, 2015 2:12 am
"Same for me," Zaris adds, motioning his share of coin towards the vault. "I'm quite curious as to what we may find near this bridge." He looks at Corban and smiles. "Yes, your skills in magic are improving nicely."
Nov 3, 2015 8:54 am
Having stored some of the gold in the vault, and pulled the carpet and bed back overtop the trap door to minimize the chance that a returning scouting party searching the place finds it, you set out. The dawn way winds deeper into the woods, which feel all together more ominous in the dark. The low flickering light of the rock that glows with continuous flame provides enough illumination for those without the blessing of night eyes to see.

You come to a spot where a wide track leads away from the road, hanging west. A massive effigy of some kind stands here, a fifteen-foot-tall humanoid shape made from a sagging, moss-covered frame. The thing looks almost like a crude giant-sized skeleton made of wood. Birds nest in the massive barrel that serves as the effigy's head.

Jorr nods towards the wide westward road, "This leads to the home of the old Twistuk Tribe, a band of forest giants. The road straight ahead leads to Skull Gorge." He pauses, to allow you the opportunity to decide if you carry on to the bridge, or divert here to see the ruins of the forest giant village, as left by Vraath, the original owner of the keep.
Nov 3, 2015 9:03 am
"The lord's writings indicated that he'd taken care of all the giants," Pawetha wonders aloud. "Though the skeletons around the keep suggest otherwise."

To Jorr, she asks, "Have there been many forest giants active in the area recently? If not, might be good idea to scout the place and determine if it's a defensible position should we need to retreat from the gorge in haste." She looks to the rest of the party to gauge their reaction.
Nov 3, 2015 9:08 am
Jorr shakes his head, "To be honest, until we read that journal back at the keep I wasn't aware that the forest giants were such a menace in these woods. I knew they lived over here, but they kept to themselves mostly. I hadn't noticed they'd been eradicated... but I also hadn't much noticed that they'd been here in the first place."
Nov 3, 2015 11:16 am
I consider Jorr's words. "It seems these hobgoblins are more organized than one would expect. They've been preparing." My thoughts go back to the painting of Tiamat, knowing none of this bodes well. "Yes, Paws is correct." I smile at the gnome, approving of her tactics. "We should be prepared as well."
Nov 3, 2015 9:58 pm
Zaris nods in agreement with Pawetha. "I was almost killed back there," the elf says in a flat, even tone. "I would prefer that we have some sort of escape route should we need one." He looks up at the effigy and frowns. "If we are getting messed up with Tiamat, I would prefer to be as prepared as possible. How far back to the ruins Jorr?"
Nov 3, 2015 10:08 pm
"Not long. We'll reach the gorge by the time the moon is at its peak if we detour. The old forest giant fort is easily closer to the gorge than Vraath Keep." At that, he leads you down the wide path towards the forest giant fort, and briefly away from the dawn way.

The old track is easy to follow, although clearly neglected for years. It comes to an abrupt end in the shadow of a fairly large hill that looms up from the surrounding woodlands. At the hill's base sits the collapsed ruin of what was once a massive and probably quite impressive wooden fortress. Entire trees were used to form the walls of this building, but now the whole thing is little more than a heap of moss-covered, rotting logs. A thin curl of smoke rises up from a great fire pit in the middle of the old walls, where an enormous boar sizzles on a spit the size of a lance.

A giant sits by the fire, turning the spit and muttering to himself in his own language. He is extraordinarily tall and lean, with stooped shoulders, earth-yellow skin marked by angry red blotches, and a wild mane and beard of tangled green hair. He easily tops ten feet, even while sitting on the ground.

As you near him, you easily can make out what he is saying to himself in Common... "Not as good as owlbear, but good enough for an old bag of bones like me."

You are a few feet from the outer ring of the fort, which is two dozen or so feet from the old giant. He hasn't noticed you yet.
Nov 3, 2015 10:20 pm
Pawetha instinctively makes herself smaller than she thought possible. "Great," she hisses, quietly and sarcastically. She observes the giant and the keep, trying to ascertain the creature's demeanor and also determine if there are more. She wracks her brain, trying to remember what her old enclave taught about forest creatures.

OOC: Not sure if I'm using the right skills, or if it's possible to use them. Remove if I used too many.

Rolls

Insight to Giant's demeanor - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Perception on the keep itself - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Nature (?) of Forest Giants - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Nov 3, 2015 10:25 pm
Pawetha sees no other giants, and as if to confirm her observations she hears the giant's next rant to himself clear as day, "All gone, all dead, all but me. Poor old Warklegnaw!" To her he seems hungry, and very probably sick. The red blotches and colour of his skin suggests that he is in the grips of something rather serious.

She recalls that forest giants are relatively enclosed creatures. Keeping mostly to themselves, except the occasional raid on a merchant band or scooping up a few livestock from nearby farms. They worship the forests, are keen to use every bit of creatures they kill and can be quite proficient at woodcraft.
Nov 4, 2015 3:37 am
I shrug toward the others, then attempt to walk past the giant (behind it if possible) without being noticed.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Nov 4, 2015 9:55 am
Xara tries to get close, but as soon as she is within the perimeter of the fortress the giant says "Whose there?!" then struggles to his feet and turns. Seeing the little human, he rests a tired hand on his club and shouts, "You little worms won't get me! You did for my kith and kin, but you won't get me!"

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 4, 2015 12:14 pm
"Who said anything about getting you? Come get me!" Then I run in the opposite direction of the party, attempting to draw him out and away from them.
Nov 4, 2015 12:19 pm
The giant raises his fist and shakes it in the air, "Don't play games with ol' Warklegnaw. Get out of here, then. Be gone." He seems to be quite contented that Xara decided to run away.
Nov 4, 2015 12:25 pm
Panting, I circle back to the group. "Well, that was disappointing. What are we doing again?"
Nov 4, 2015 12:34 pm
Seeing the exchange between Xara and Warklegnaw, I'm intrigued and whisper to those close to me. "Hmmm, this one doesn't seem overly aggressive or blood thirsty. Perhaps we should try another tactic. Any suggestions?"
Nov 4, 2015 4:08 pm
Pawetha remains crouched, rocking slightly on her toes. "Hungry and sick," says Pawetha. "Perhaps we can parlay? Forest giants are reclusive, and as we've seen, this one is alone and not particularly inclined to fight."
Nov 4, 2015 7:27 pm
Approving of the suggestion, I smile at Paws. "I think it's worth a try, but we must still be cautious."
Nov 4, 2015 7:53 pm
"Agreed, why don't Kaiakas and I go in, he can do the talking and the rest of you can cover us from the shadows."
Nov 4, 2015 10:23 pm
Pawetha appears satisfied with that, and content to remain where she is. She nocks an arrow, but does not draw the bow.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.