Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Oct 15, 2015 11:53 am
Xara ignores the discussions behind her and focuses on the lock. She's distracted by the coins jangling in her pockets and backpack - probably she shouldn't have shoved it all in there - just as she is about to give up she hears a faint 'click' and gives the lock a gentle tug... and it snaps open! Lifting the lid she peers inside.

There is a large dragon skull with twisting horns, two dozen or so giant teeth that have a faint green colour on a thick string, a chain shirt made of an almost ivory white metal, a twisted wood staff with vines coiling around it and a pair of spiked gauntlets that look like they are sized for a giant.

As Xara pulls the objects out of the trunk, Rurik notes that the chain shirt is enchanted, the wood staff glows with the power of holy energies and the gauntlets are also enchanted.

Rolls

(Advantage for taking your time) - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Oct 15, 2015 3:41 pm
Pawetha leaves the stables and goes to retrieve her pack, left on the side of the path. On her return to the keep, she checks on the body of the minotaur.
Oct 15, 2015 4:06 pm
"More magical goodies, the staff's holy and the chain shirt and gloves are also glowin'. Anythin' interesting in the books Zaris?"
Oct 15, 2015 4:12 pm
Other than the heavily damaged breastplate, and the recently sharpened and bloodied great axe, the minotaur body has nothing of value. A search of the dead hobgoblins finds a total of 32 gold between the lot of them. On the floor beside the bed Zaris had hid under Pawetha finds a satchel with 351 gold pieces in it. The satchel is marked with a poor bit of embroidery that Pawetha infers is probably an image of a pair of horns, suggesting that it was the minotaur's possession.

Took some liberties there, hope that's ok.
Oct 15, 2015 4:19 pm
Pawetha returns to the tower where the rest of the party is. Satisfied that everyone is still alive and that the trap door is open, she decides to investigate the floor above.

OOC: That's perfect. I didn't want to bog down the action in the vault, but I also didn't want to assume that the rest of the keep was secure.
Oct 15, 2015 4:34 pm
Pawetha climbs up the stairs in the bed chamber and onto the second floor of the tower. The roof of this circular chamber has partially collapsed. Massive timbers slump against the floor, fallen from the rafters above. A huge gap in the east wall allows in a brisk breeze. Three large boulders lie on the floor amid halos of cracks.

Mounted about ten feet from the hole in the wall is what looks like a humanoid figure, lashed to a framework of wooden beams, arms upraised. A glow from beneath it illuminates the figure in a pale light. The reek of rotting flesh fills the room.

Cool. I didn't want to bog things down by making you search every corner and under every flagstone 1ed-style for a bit of gold!
Oct 15, 2015 5:18 pm
Pawetha draws her short sword and approaches the wooden framework, wary of the scent and cautious for the possibility of undead. Her eyes flit over to the source of the glow as she tries to determine what purpose this... thing... has here.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm
"Just personal journals by the namesake of the Keep," he says putting the book back down on the table. "I don't think there is anything useful to us though. He mentions needing to take out some giants in the Wood but I can't seem to tell when that was." He frowns and turns back towards the others in the room. "Looks like Xara found a good lot for us."

Zaris looks over the items but doesn't make a move over anything. He's content to use what he already has. "Where should we stash the coins? We could all put our share to good use back in the city."
Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm
"I'm going to need a bigger bag if I keep finding things this easily!" I rummage through the shinies. "Hey Kaiakas, that sword's got your name on it!" I divvy out anything else that seems to catch the eyes of my fellow travelor companions.
Last edited October 15, 2015 5:59 pm
Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm
"Do we want to bring the gold back to the city though? It seems we might have ourselves a base of operations what with the deed ya found." I gesture to the ruins around us "A little masonry, a good cleaning, and we can start really cleaning up the area. Say....where's that gnome gone to? Y'don't think she's found herself some trouble, do ya?"
Oct 15, 2015 7:05 pm
Slowly, carefully, I grasp the sword's handle and hold it close to my silver eyes, inspecting the blade. After a moment, I snap out of it and excuse myself. "I'll be ... back." I make my way back up through the trap door and gaze upon the oil painting. "Tiamat." I growl the name as I consider this painting and the holy symbol we already found. This doesn't bode well at all. Righteous anger wells up within me. A slow exhale prevents me from screaming.
I find a secluded spot that's hopefully as out of sight as possible, and I begin to pray. Seeking guidance, I commune with Tyr. The hobgoblins, this place, the holy symbol and painting... it all seems to be pointing to something.
There is a growing darkness. It must be stopped.
Realizing my path, I vow to Tyr to vanquish this evil. No matter what.
Suddenly, I'm blinded by a new light coming from my holy symbol. Even closing my eyes, the light bore into my mind. Overwhelmingly bright golden yellow streaked with crimson, the light finally subsided. My holy symbol had changed. Symbols were now etched with perfect precision all around the symbol.
[OOC: The script is Celestial, but Kaiakas doesn't know that language.]
Oct 15, 2015 8:29 pm
"Hey Corban, check out this magic stick I found on the bugbear. Don't say I never gave you nothing." I hand it over ceremoniously with much bowing. "What do you think, Zaris?"
Oct 15, 2015 8:45 pm
"I graciously accept your gift, peasant." Corban grabs the want to look it over. "What did he cast on us, anyway?"
Oct 15, 2015 9:35 pm
"Couldn't tell ya, but it stung. I'm sure you'll figure it out."
Oct 16, 2015 7:48 am
As Pawetha gets closer to the figure, she realize that beneath the rags is a corpse. A male human, and it smells like he's been dead about a week. Below the crude scarecrow is a flame, which she quickly realizes is the result of a continuous flame spell. It seems like there was a conscious effort to make it appear as if there was a ghoul or something like it living in the keep.

I should also remind you lot, there was also the map Xara collected off the bugbear. The writing on the map is in Goblin, and I know at least a couple of your can read that.
Oct 16, 2015 4:12 pm
Pawetha spits. The various pieces of information are starting to fit together in a crude drawing, and she doesn't like how it's starting to turn out.

The ranger decides that the poor sod lashed to the frame deserves better than this, and moves to free the deceased. At the very least, the man deserves to lie down for his rest. She places the corpse as best she can in a respectable position, ignoring the smell and deterioration in her hands.

Pawetha inspects the source of the Continual Flame and ponders the decision of whether or not to take possession. It's a practical and useful item, but the general setup of this keep indicates a greater organization than just a rudimentary band of hobgoblin marauders, and perhaps the absence of the flame may signal to others that something is amiss.

In the end, she decides to leave it where it is, and descends the staircase to the first floor. Pawetha sits cross-legged by the trap door and listens casually, twiddling the end of her fox-fur cloak.
Oct 16, 2015 4:27 pm
"Zaris, before I forget... these papers may be of interest to you. I'm not much of a reader, and the quality of this drawing won't fetch me much, I'm afraid." I hand him the deed, map, and whatever other loose papers I may have collected.
Oct 19, 2015 12:48 am
I begin moving toward Zaris and Xara to see if there's anything I can do to help. I make it two steps before an awful wracking cough overtakes my body, dropping me first to my knees and then again till I fall forward to my hands. Despite it being hostlered, my maul slides off my back shattering on the rough ground before me. In a moment between throat-scraping coughs, I weakly hold up a hand to forestall my companions from offering aid.
A few coughs from deep in my stomach bring up thick black ooze that looks much like the soul stuff that leapt from the foes I slew imbuing me with their temporary strength. The coughing subsides as I spit up the last of the ooze, which greasily coats the remnants of my maul. Green energy coruscates around the ooze and shards growing brighter and brighter in intensity until those looking upon it have to look away or shut their eyes.
When the glare finally dims, I'm sitting weakly holding a large obsidian-black book that seems to emanate malevolence. I wipe a tendril of ooze from my lips and chin throwing it to the ground and shakily get to my feet once more
Oct 19, 2015 1:17 am
After the spots from my eyes fade away, I look at Rurik with a mix of confusion and perhaps a little bit of fear. "Rurik, um... did you eat or drink something that you shouldn't have? And what is with that?" I stride over to him and reach out my hand as if to poke the book, but change my mind at the last moment. "Looks ominous. I mean, more ominous than usual. Are you... ok?"
Oct 19, 2015 1:34 am
After my moment alone in prayer, I make my way back to the group. I notice a strange green light fading just before I make the last corner. Worried, I raise my new blade ready for whatever I find.
Surprised to see the last bit of light fade from where Rurik sits, I hesitate. "Rurik. What ... what was that?" I have to ask. I have to say those words. Deep inside me, I know it had something to do with the foul power the dwarf wields. One day, my friend, you will be free of your dark master. One way or the other. The uncomfortable thoughts don't sit well with me as I finally lower my blade.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.