Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Oct 13, 2015 6:47 pm
I immediately head towards the door by the large trunk, whipping out my thieves' tools with a flourish.

Rolls

Pick locks - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm
Rurik's vision is quickly drawn towards the sources of magic in the area. The sword radiates chilly elemental energies, the gauntlets on the skeleton glow with the power of enchantment and the large trunk behind the iron grate that Xara is attempting to open contains several magical signatures. Two objects read to him as enchanted, and a third within the trunk radiates with holy magic.

Xara moves towards the locked gate behind which is the hefty iron trunk that Rurik detects magic coming from. She plunges her lock picks into the lock and quickly realizes that not only is it of ancient make the likes of which she has never seen, but it's well crafted and going to be very difficult to crack.
Oct 13, 2015 8:47 pm
Corban approaches the blade and kneels to look over it. It's a well crafted bastard sword. Little motes of white light float off of it like a dash of snow drifting from the sky on a chill winters morning. As he nears it the blade starts to faintly grow blue.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/74669bad139ce4d90cfcb58ad093255c/tumblr_mz9iydcIhC1qk8joso1_500.jpg
Oct 13, 2015 9:12 pm
"Kaiakas! Have a look at this beauty! I think you should take it, having saved at least my ass back there."
Oct 13, 2015 9:39 pm
Having a quiet moment with the others, I keep lookout above the trap door until I hear Corban. I finally make my way down the ladder. Upon seeing the sword, I marvel at it's craftsmanship and obvious enchantment. "Corban, thank you for offering me this treasure. Are you sure?"
I notice Rurik's eyes and steel my gaze. "Rurik. Are you alright?"
Oct 13, 2015 10:41 pm
"Of course, it wouldn't do to rust away in the hands of an old dirty soldier like myself. Much better for it to represent Tyr's Holy crusade." Corban turns after Kaiakas' comment to Rubik and jumps, "whoa! Those are some seriously red eyes, friend!"
Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
Looking at Kaiakas, I blink slowly and my eyes return to normal, " Aye, I'm fine. Well aside from the beating we all took a few minutes ago." my voice takes on a professorial tone as I indicate the various points of magical interest. "that sword is a frosty one, and the gloves are giving off an enchantment aura. That chest holds multiple signatures, don't suppose anyone found a key on any of the bodies did they?"
Oct 14, 2015 12:30 am
Hearing Rurik's question, Pawetha is struck by the idea of searching the bodies above-ground. "I'll check," she calls down below, and leaves to find the corpse of the bugbear in the courtyard. She glances over at Zaris and Jorr, giving each a nod.
Oct 14, 2015 1:18 am
"Who needs a key when you've got me?" My tone is one of frustration as I'm still futzing with the damned lock. "I'll come back to this one." I head towards the alcove with the shelves and jangle the padlock a bit as I attempt to pick it.

Rolls

Pick lock - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Oct 14, 2015 7:02 am
Pawetha searches the body of the bugbear and finds no key, but does recover a medium sized potion bottle with a viscous red liquid that glimmers as it moves around. It only takes a quick smell for her to identify it as a potion of greater healing.

The padlock here is much easier to pick than the one keeping the large trunk secure. It pops open after a few minutes of fiddling. Xara opens the iron gate and peers into the alcove - noting the ten iron coffers that line the shelves. Convinced it isn't trapped she beings to inspect the coffers. Several contain credit notes that are no longer of any value (long expired and issued by an authority equally as expired), several contain coins. Many coins (in total 70pp, 2100gp and 2800sp). Finally, tucked into the bottom of a coffer on the bottom shelf she finds the official deed to Vraath Keep.
Oct 14, 2015 11:15 am
I pocket everything. "Found some coins and paperwork. We can go over it once we have a moment to spare." I may be a thief but I'd like to think the group knows me better than to make off with everything without sharing at least some of it. There are more locks to pick! I head over to the last one.

Rolls

Pick locks - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 14, 2015 11:20 am
Xara returns to the more difficult lock keeping the group away from the iron trunk full of magic things, and finds it has not become easier to pick since the last time she tried.

Of course 'pocket' is an awkward thing to do with over 5000 coins. But I see no advantage to be had sorting out precisely how and where Xara has stashed the volume of loot, as there's no plans to scamper away with the lot of it (and that's the only circumstance it really would matter in)
Oct 14, 2015 3:46 pm
Corban will kneel down and remove the gloves from the skeleton. He then walks over to the ladder and calls up to Zaris. "So Zaris, remind me about enchantment again? That's mind control stuff right? Too bad they aren't evocation"
Last edited October 14, 2015 3:46 pm
Oct 14, 2015 3:57 pm
Pawetha minds the healing potion, then looks up at the building to the north. "We haven't checked that area yet," she thinks, and glances over her shoulder towards the rest of the group. She looks down at the minotaur's body and decides that since it's not going anywhere, it's time to investigate.

Pawetha stalks towards the nearest portal to the building to peek inside, ready for whatever might spring out.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Oct 14, 2015 4:02 pm
Pawetha peers inside the building. There is a thin layer of dry straw strewn across the floor. On the eastern side is a dust-caked forge and a mound of mouldy straw. In the middle of the room is a battered table with a discarded caltrop affixed to a stick and a couple empty mugs on it. The rest of the building is divided into four stalls.
Oct 14, 2015 4:25 pm
Pawetha enters the room, senses tuned to pick up anything that might indicate previous (or current) occupants. She draws her short sword and pokes it into the mound of straw, testing its depth. She kneels in front of one of the four stalls and sniffs the air, while looking for tell-tale signs of which creature may have been in it, and how long ago.

Her eyes latch upon the caltrop on the table, and she inspects the item to see if it's still serviceable before pocketing it, sans stick.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Oct 14, 2015 9:25 pm
Pawetha's keen sense and sense of animals allows her to determine that this stable has been recently used, and it houses worgs. Typically no more than two, but she senses that it's not always the same two creatures. Perhaps a rotating patrol, or a resting place for scouts that aren't out scouting. The straw in two of the stalls is still faintly warm, probably last used within the last four hours.

The caltrop is a bit dulled from having been dropped repeatedly on the table. The marks and dents on the table confirm that inference. It's a fine single caltrop, not that a single caltrop will do much good.
Oct 14, 2015 10:32 pm
"Yes Corban, enchantment often contains aspects of mind control, but not always," Zaris calls back down to Corban. "Let me take a look," he adds before carefully descending the ladder. He swoons a bit, still somewhat dizzy from the near death experience just moments ago, but the magical healing has helped turn him around quite quickly. He reaches the bottom and is immediately drawn to the desk with its stacks of papers and books. "Give me a second," he says, making a quick line for the desk. He grabs the top book and begins to flip through it.
Oct 15, 2015 6:35 am
The stack of books contains mixture of books telling of the history of the keep, tracing it back to the now long dead Rhestilor kingdom, and a few journals. The book Zaris picks up is one such journal. It only takes a few dozen flips before the books pages are blank. Turning back to the last entry Zaris reads:

"We've dealt with the giants. That is one less evil plague upon this wood of mine that will tarnish its reputation. I took a force of mercenaries and adventurers to their home in the woods. The giants were defeated and fled into the mountains. We burned their village so they could not return. Tonight is a night of celebration! I, Amery Vraath have done great deeds this day to rid the Witchwood of her dark heart and darker reputation."
Oct 15, 2015 11:21 am
I attempt to crack the lock one last time, but those damned coins keep jangling in my pockets and are a huge distraction. I'm gonna need to off-load some of them sooner rather than later. This will probably call for a shopping spree.

Rolls

Pick locks - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.