Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Oct 13, 2015 9:13 am
The canvas falls to the floor and you see a recently finished oil painting depicting a many headed multi-coloured dragon.

http://t01.deviantart.net/9D6UOJr8pZ6vtBYGsAHAcJ0tsc4=/300x200/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre15/2dfe/th/pre/f/2015/245/6/2/tiamat_by_raro666-d5qyu91.jpg

As the party gathers in the small room, kicking things around and turning over furniture, you discover, concealed beneath a rotting bit of carpet, a trap door. The hinges are rusted, but it looks like with a bit of effort it could be pulled open.

Don't forget you can spend hit dice (which I've taken to calling healing surges to avoid confusion) to heal as well, since you're resting
Oct 13, 2015 11:30 am
I stare at the painting, wondering how easy it would be to roll it up and take it with me. Then, I turn my attention towards the trap door, checking it for actual traps.

Rolls

Perception + thieves tools? - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Oct 13, 2015 11:33 am
The canvas is stretched across a wood frame, and the oils are still fresh. Rolling it up would almost certainly damage the work, if not destroy it.

The trap door, to Xara's keen eye, does not appear to be itself trapped.
Oct 13, 2015 2:29 pm
I heave myself to my feet, the respite taking me slightly away from deaths door and eternal damnation. I walk over to the rest of the group "Found somethin'?"

Rolls

Healing Surge - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Oct 13, 2015 3:36 pm
"We have ourselves a trap door." Obviously.
Oct 13, 2015 3:55 pm
Corban, disappointed that break time seems to be over, joins the group.
"Nice find Xara, I knew we brought you for a reason... "

heal 7w/CON
Last edited October 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Rolls

Healing surge - (1D10)

(5) = 5

Oct 13, 2015 3:59 pm
"Make yourself useful. How about you rip that thing off its hinges?"
Last edited October 13, 2015 3:59 pm
Oct 13, 2015 4:08 pm
"Gladly", Corban puffs up his chest under his mail, walks up to the trap door and makes an exaggerated show of lining himself up before heaving on the lock.

Rolls

Strength! +3 - (1D20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 13, 2015 4:09 pm
Pawetha sneezes, then rubs her nose with her hands. "Is it even locked?" she suggests. Buoyed by Xara's observations and urged by gnomish curiosity, she pulls on Corban's armor as though to assist.

Edit: revised for Corban's actions.
Last edited October 13, 2015 4:15 pm
Oct 13, 2015 4:14 pm
The trapdoor lifts easily, revealing a vertical shaft about five feet wide. A rusty, but sound, iron ladder descends into the darkness.
Oct 13, 2015 4:21 pm
I shrug. "I'm sure Corban can handle it either way. Isn't that right Corban?" After the door opens, "See? Easy."
Last edited October 13, 2015 4:22 pm
Oct 13, 2015 4:21 pm
"whew, did you see that lock bend?" Before anyone had a chance to scrutinize, Corban steps aside, bowing and graciously offering the opening to Xara. "After you, I have a bad habit of missing trip wires in these kinds of situations."
Oct 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Pawetha readies her bow to provide cover from the trap door.
Oct 13, 2015 4:33 pm
"We'll need some light on the way down. Hmmm, what have we here?"

Rolls

Checking for traps - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Oct 13, 2015 4:40 pm
Satisfied that there are no traps, Xara lights and torch and descends into a small vault. The ladder goes down about forty feet to the dusty ground of the chamber below.

The room is made of worked stone, the ceiling about twelve feet high. The air is thick and smells stale and smokey. Three alcoves have been cut into the walls, two to the north and one to the east. Each alcove is sealed by an iron gate and locked with chains and a large padlock. Beyond one alcove are several shelves bearing no less than ten small iron coffers. Beyond the second is a small desk and chair, the desk piled high with papers and books. Beyond the third sits a single large trunk.

A human skeleton lies slumped against the eastern alcove's gate. Still dressed in tattered chainmail and feebly gripping a bastard sword that has white motes of light sparkling around the blade, the skeleton has a massive arrow protruding from its chest.
Oct 13, 2015 4:50 pm
"Who's next?" asks Pawetha, indicating for someone to follow Xara. She remains at the top, bow trained (but not drawn) at the areas bereft of torchlight, in the event there's something lurking in the dark.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Oct 13, 2015 4:55 pm
"I'll go" Corban follows down the ladder.
Oct 13, 2015 6:28 pm
"I'll go next. Corban, you'll cushion m'fall when I slip right?"bi close my eyes for a moment and when I open them again, they blaze with a reddish light, then begin descending the ladder.
OOC: using Eldritch Sight which lets me cast Detect Magic w/o using a spell slot
Oct 13, 2015 6:37 pm
"God's body, look at that sword!" Corban approaches to have a closer look, careful not to touch anything before Rurik can have a look.
Oct 13, 2015 6:43 pm
Pawetha wills herself to stay above-ground, lest something terrible happens and everyone's locked inside. The sounds of excitement don't help, of course.

She turns her attention to those remaining with her. Pawetha assesses the paladin, half-elf, and scruffy woodsman, partly to focus away from the underground chamber and to determine if she can pick out little details of each individual's personality.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.