Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Sep 11, 2015 11:16 pm
"Yeah, just a bunch of other people talking. What about it? I look in the same direction as Zaris.
Sep 12, 2015 3:51 am
"huh? I didn't hear anything, voices behind us? What's the deal Jorr, do many people travel this path for fun?" Corban draws his sword and readies his shield before placing himself between the voices and the party.
Sep 12, 2015 6:43 am
"Rumours are that the keep is haunted, that probably keeps most travellers and curious adventurers away." Jorr says, unsheathing his bow, and stringing it.

Moments later, two hobgoblins mounted on large thick furred wolves (in fact, worgs) on their way up to the keep round the bend. They were engaged in a conversation, on laughed heartily in the moment before they see you. Upon seeing you, one of them lets out a scream, its mount matching with a blood curdling howl, and both draw their swords.

Battle! You guys are first. You are located at the right edge of the map on the path, the hobgoblins and their mounts are off the map further along the path, about 20 feet from Corban. Everyone is just behind Corban. One move action could get you as far as the crumbling keep gates, should you want to go that way.
Sep 12, 2015 5:56 pm
I run into the woods and disappear from their field of vision. Hopefully my compatriots will keeps these guys too busy for them to keeps tabs on where I am.

(Ooc- bonus action "hide")

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Sep 12, 2015 7:33 pm
Moving beside Corban, I ready my sword and shield as I expect the hobgoblins to charge on their mounts. When they charge us, I will strike and side step so they don't run over me.
[OOC: Fighting Style - Protection to give disadvantage to anyone attacking Corban as long as I am within 5 ft of him.]

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Attack - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Damage - (1d8+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Critical damage - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Sep 12, 2015 9:16 pm
Corban steels himself at the sight of more hobgoblins. As Kaiakas walks up along side him Corban looks over and gives him a nod, any differences in philosophies set aside for the coming battle. He readies himself for the first unfortunate hobgoblin to come within range.

OOC :taking a 5 foot step forward, and readying an attack for the first hobgoblin to come in range. I'll roll it now for good measure.

Rolls

Attack 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1D8+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Sep 13, 2015 11:15 pm
Can't I have just ten minutes to sit and think?!" Zaris turns and follows Xara into the cover of the woods while frantically pulling his crossbow from his back. His first priority is to hide. He crouches down low in the trees while slowly loading a bolt into the crossbow.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Sep 14, 2015 8:52 am
Jorr knocks an arrow and fires it at one of the mounted hobgoblins. The arrow grazes the creatures shoulder. It howls, pointing its longsword forward and both of them charge.
Sep 14, 2015 9:03 am
The mounted hobgoblins charge Corban and Kaiakas, who stand together blocking the pathway. As they approach, Corban swings and his blade slams into the mounted hobgoblin nearest him, shattering its wooden shield from the force of impact and breaking its forearm. Kaiakas swings at the other mounted hobgoblin, stepping aside to avoid the bulk of the worg as he does so. His blade collides with the goblins own and there is a loud 'shink' as Kaikas' weapon breaks the rusted steel of the goblin's blade and cuts through its chest plate.

The worgs leap at Kaiakas and Corban, their massive paws outstretched. Kaiakas' maneuver neatly locates him out of the worgs path and avoids the attack. He steps beside Corban and bashes the second worg with his shield as it lunges, saving Corban from the heavy attack.

The two hobgoblins, not quite dead, make the best of their circumstance. The one with the broken arm holds his sword firmly in the other and swings it at Kaiakas, but the attack lacks power and is easily deflected. The other draws a longbow and fires an arrow at Jorr but the woodsman had already relocated.

In the flurry of battle, none of the combatants paid any heed to either Zaris or Xara.

Kaiakas hits as does Corban (each a different hobgoblin)
Jorr misses, but barely

Worgs miss, thanks to the Fighting Style
Hobgoblin 1 (broken arm)

Zaris and Xara are hidden. Both gain Advantage on their next attack.

Rurik, you can take two turns.
Sep 14, 2015 2:31 pm
Seeing his chance, Zaris takes careful aim at the hobgoblin with the broken arm and lets loose his bolt.

Rolls

cross bow shot. - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Sep 14, 2015 3:27 pm
The bolt strikes the hobgoblin in the chest and he falls off his mount and lays still on the ground.
Sep 14, 2015 5:14 pm
I charge out of the woods and head towards the injured hobgoblin, slashing at it wildly.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Advantage on Attack! - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Sep 14, 2015 6:19 pm
I snap back to reality from my patron summoning my consciousness to his fell den, looking around I see combat errupting all around me. Seeing the worgs as the biggest threat, I launch eldritch energies at them.

Rolls

Attack the first - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage from first attack - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Attack 2: Electric Bugaloo - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Damage #2 - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Sep 14, 2015 6:41 pm
Corban is momentarily stunned as Kaiakas' shield blocks the Worg's attack at the last minute. That was close. He thinks to himself as well as making a mental note to thank the Paladin later. He barely has time to register that the Hobgoblin he'd struck went down with a bolt to the chest before he's engaged with the Worg once more. He stabs a few times, testing the great Wolf's defences before stepping into a more committed strike.

Rolls

(3) + 5 = 8

Damage w/ Longsword - (1D8+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm
Xara's wild attack misses as the worg twists to get his rider out of the way of her attack. Rurik's blasts strike the ground around the worg's, but fail to hit their mark. Corban swings at the worg, but the creature, now unhindered by its rider, is very agile and evades the steel of the fighter's blade.
Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm
Jorr knocks an arrow an looses it at the remaining hobgoblin. The arrow deflects off the creatures shield.

Kaiakas is up, then bad guys

Rolls

Bow attack - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Bow damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Sep 16, 2015 9:54 am
Both worgs press in on Corban, but aggressive attacks of the large wolves are easy to predict and avoid compared to the complex tactics of a humanoid combatant. Corban easily keeps out of the way of their large claws and vicious bites. The hobgoblin swings his longsword as his worg leaps passed Corban, but the blade deflects of Corban's own.

Both Worgs and the Hobgoblin attack Corban and miss. That 18 AC is doing you well this battle!

Everyone is up, Kaiakas gets 2 consecutive turns.

Everyone in melee is engaged in the melee (that is, engaged with both worgs and the mounted hobgoblin). Everyone not in melee (Zaris, Jorr and Rurik) are not engaged with anything.
Sep 16, 2015 2:28 pm
Finding an opportunity, Corban stabs again at the Worg he tried to hit previously.

Rolls

(11) + 5 = 16

Damage w/ Longsword - (1D8+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Sep 17, 2015 12:42 pm
No time like the present! Zaris muses as he draws his sword and charges at the warg adding his blade to Corban's. Corban! he shouts. "I'me here to aid you! The wizard isn't quite sure why he feels that he can take on such a hideous beast with his sword but something inside him causes him to well with confidence.

Rolls

short sword attack - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

advantage roll using inspiration point - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

damage - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 17, 2015 1:18 pm
Corban's blade cuts into the wolf's haunch as it tries to turn and attend to the paladin moving towards its flank. Zaris, on the other hand, severs off a clump of fur, but the wolf doesn't even notice his feeble attack.

Corban hits for 11 Damage. Zaris misses.
Rurik, Kaiakas (2 turns), Xara
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.