Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Sep 9, 2015 2:10 am
"Yes, please lead on." Zaris says. He walks back towards Xara and smiles. "In the name of civility, I would suggest you tone down your....forwardness slightly. Kaiakas is anything if proud and he does have a point; we all can speak for ourselves." He looks at the rogue hoping for some sign of agreement.
Sep 9, 2015 3:19 am
"Zaris, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we all in agreement here? We're gonna kill a bunch of goblins and save the town, right? And now we have a guide and a direction. That's not too shabby. And for the record, I didn't tell anyone what to think or say. Kaiakas or anyone else is free to disagree or make other suggestions whatever they want." What the hell? I make all these smart decisions and all of a sudden these people are mad that they didn't think of them first? Really?
Sep 9, 2015 3:31 am
After spending much of the trip so far lost in thought and paranoia due to the woods, I perk up at mention of the keep, "Finally, a place away from the blasted trees, lets go! And Kaiakas, the lass did a fine job leading us when we were trapped in those caverns afore I met you." Fixing said lass with a level stare, "long as her preference for frivolity won't get us in trouble, again"
Sep 9, 2015 4:00 am
"Aye." Jorr says, hopping off the deck and heading down the trail, "This way. We'll cut down the road a bit and avoid crossing the small river here on the Dawn Way. Another path along the Witch Trail winds around it and cuts back to the main road just by Vraath Keep. Should only be an hour or so. Hopefully you're still friendly with each other when we arrive." He winks and heads off.

It's difficult to keep up with him, as he moves almost effortlessly through the overgrown path, thickets and occasional marshy passage that is more muck than pathway. But, eventually, the woods give way and you find yourself standing again on the main road. Decently well kept, and relatively well travelled. The Dawn Way here isn't as wide as it was in the open fields between Brindol and Drellen's Ferry, but it's still wide enough for a wagon to comfortably fit.

Looming out of the woods ahead is a haunting sight-- a ruined keep. The old castle sits on a small rocky hillock, and you can catch glimpses of a broken tower between the trees. A moss-covered stone at the side of the road you are following marks a footpath that looks like it leads up to the keep.

"There she is. Vraath Keep." Jorr gestures up at the old ruined fort.
Sep 9, 2015 4:19 am
"If that building isn't lousy with goblins, I'll eat my boot." Corban lies easily to the others, and loosens his sword in its scabbard. "We should tread carefully. I've seen the traps those beasts can put together, ugly stuff. Or was that Kobolds?" He glances at Zaris, then shakes his head.

"We might want to scout it out is all, what you say Jorr, are there any good approaches where we might get a look at this place from a bit of a distance? Well, closer than this, of course."
Sep 9, 2015 10:10 am
The trip to the keep soothes my agitation to the point that I feel guilty for being so gruff with Xara ... slightly guilty.
Perhaps Rurik is rubbing off on me more than I realize.
After hearing Corban mention traps, I turn to Xara with eyes softer than last she looked at my face. "Perhaps someone with great skill can scout ahead to see what lies in store for us?"
Sep 9, 2015 12:42 pm
"'fraid not. That tower is the highest ground in the whole forest. Options are limited. You could walk up this path, or scramble up the brush along the slope. The slope will take longer, but you might remain hidden."
Sep 9, 2015 1:29 pm
"I got this. Easy." I dart forward, quickly moving alongside the main road and and hoping to obscure my approach towards the keep. I move silently and keep an eye out for anyone or anything.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(17) + 7 = 24

Perception - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Sep 9, 2015 5:01 pm
Xara vanishes into the brush and you quickly lose track of her as she makes her way up the hill. Twenty minutes go by without her returning and Jorr informs you that she's probably just made it to the top. While the path is a short hike, the hillside is dense with undergrowth and thick with trees. It would take some effort to scramble up that, and even more to do so quietly.

As Xara crests the top of the hill, after a twenty minute scramble, she sees that the old keep is in poor repair. The gatehouse is partially collapsed as is a section of the wall to the south. A small wooden building sits next to the remains of a long-abandoned garden in front of the structure. The walls surrounding the keep are about fifteen feet high, with a two-story tower looming in the southwest corner of the courtyard within. Large boulders lie strewn amid the ruins of the two watch towers, and a massive humanoid skeleton slumps amid the ruins of the northern one. The skeleton still wears tattered fragments of hide armor, and a large clubs lies next to one of its bony arms. Xara's keen eyes notice a thin plume of smoke rising from the southern section of the keep.
Sep 9, 2015 6:02 pm
I edge closer to the southern wall in the hopes that I can peek in and see if there are any obvious signs of lookouts, guards, bands of roving goblins or anything else of interest. I'm feeling especially inspired by Kaiakas' faith in my ability to scout undetected.

((ooc- is inspiration a reroll? I've included another one just to be safe.))
Last edited September 9, 2015 6:06 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Stealth (just in case) - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Using inspiration - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Stealth (attempt #2) - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Sep 9, 2015 6:09 pm
Vraath Keep Map
(you are located at the ruined portion of wall on the south side, peering into the courtyard)

You creep up to the knocked out portion of the southern wall into the courtyard. The courtyard is hard-packed earth and has an eerie air of desolation. Jagged boulders embedded in the ground seem to have dropped here, or were thrown from a great distance; many of the walls bear large dents and cracks where these boulders might have once struck. Two massive skeletons lie at opposite ends of the courtyard, one propped up by the watchtower and the other sprawled at the far end by a building that could be a stable. To the south, where a section of the keep's outer wall has collapsed, a third giant skeleton lies partially buried in the rubble.

Your keen eyes notice that there are fresh tracks in the courtyard, leading into and out of the ruined front gate on the east side.
Sep 9, 2015 6:39 pm
I head back to the group and report on what I've seen. "I didn't see any obvious problems up ahead, but we should check out the smoke. What do YOU think Kaiakas?" I give him a big smile and when he's not looking I turn to Zaris and give him two thumbs up. Civility! See, I can be civil!
Sep 9, 2015 7:03 pm
I roll my eyes but smirk when I think no one can see. If I had a younger sister, I imagine she would be a welcomed thorn in my side like Xara was being right now. "What smoke, Xara? Was it more like a cooking fire or like a building on fire?"
Sep 9, 2015 9:34 pm
Zaris rolls his eyes at Xara. "Xara, I meant no disrespect; we are all under strain here and want to ensure that we continue to work well together, that is all." The wizard smiles back at Xara and laughs hoping to break the tension between the two of them.

He follows the rest of the group up to the keep, with great caution. Zaris looks nervously around him. It seems to quiet here.

While the others pull back from the opening Zaris approaches the eastern edge and looks in closer at the courtyard, eyeing the skeletons suspiciously. Looking for any signs of animated life he chants a few words in elvish and creates a quick shower of sparks ten feet in from the edge to see if they trigger any movement in the bones.

OOC: Casting prestidigitation.
Last edited September 10, 2015 10:43 am
Sep 10, 2015 1:02 am
"You tell me- it was right over there." I point towards where I saw it.
Sep 10, 2015 10:21 am
I turn toward where she points, noting the thin smoke. "Ah, yes."
[OOC: yeah, now that we're up here I suppose. :p ]
"Could be a small cooking fire or something larger that's been neglected." I think for a moment, squinting at the keep. "Were there any windows we could see into?"
Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm
"I took the path over there towards that crumbling wall but I didn't see much other than some footprints leading to the gate. We could try sneaking in through the crumbled wall. If we don't want to be seen we could hide behind rocks on our way up. Or, you know, just run screaming towards the front gate and see who responds."
Sep 11, 2015 11:58 am
The sparks briefly fill the courtyard, and a tense moment passes in which nothing happens. The thin plume smoke continues to rise, and nothing moves in or into the courtyard. As you talk, however, the more attentive and perceptive of you hear the sounds of idle conversation and shuffling heavy footfalls as someone, or something, makes its way up the path behind you.

(The perceptive are those with Passive Perception 13+; which is at least Xara, but may also be others. I didn't check)
Sep 11, 2015 12:45 pm
Oblivious to my immediate surroundings, I ponder with Xara beside me. "No, no. Walking up to a place like this without knowing what or who is there wouldn't be wise."
[OOC: Alas, my passive perception (10+perception, right?) is only 11.]
Sep 11, 2015 7:47 pm
"Shush! Everyone! Quiet!" Zaris says in a loud whisper holding up his arm. "Do you hear that?!" He spins around and looks down behind the group.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.