Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

load previous
Sep 28, 2015 1:36 am
Zaris moves quickly to Xara's side and lets a stream of ice fly from his fingers at one of the blinded hobgoblins. Xara, watch my back!" he says.

Rolls

Ray of frost - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Sep 28, 2015 7:32 am
Kaiakas slashes the minotaur, striking the very point in the armour that Corban dented. The creature bellows again and turns its fury towards the paladin. The mintotaur shoves his heavy axe towards Kaiakas, but the paladin drops his shield and deflects the impact of the attack.

Zaris' ray strikes the hobgoblin in the face and it squeels in pain and fear, flailing its sowrd vigorously towards Xara, an attack that Xara deftly evades.

The two other hobgoblins, having scrambled from their beds, drop their swords onto the bed beside them and grab their bows. Knocking arrows, they loose one at Zaris and Kaiakas each. The shot at Kaiakas deflects harmlessly off of his armour, by Zaris isn't so lucky.

Kaiakas hits, Zaris hits.

Minotaur misses, Hobgoblin misses Xara
Hobgoblin archer 1 misses Kaiakas, Hobgoblin archer 2 hits Zaris for 5 damage

Kaiakas and Corban are engaged with the minotaur

Xara is engaged with 1 blind hobgoblin
Zaris is just behind Xara, off the rubble
Rurik and Jorr are still standing in the loose rubble.

2 Hobgoblins with bows are by the beds, firing arrows at you lot

Party turn!
Sep 28, 2015 11:20 am
"I got this one Zaris. Take care of those archers!" I slash high at the hobgoblin, hoping to stab it on the face.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Damage? - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Sneak attack bonus damage? - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 28, 2015 11:22 am
Xara's boastful attack misses the flailing hobgoblin, as she has to duck and weave away from the ever unpredictable blade and cant find a reliable opening in the creature's haphazard attack pattern.
Sep 28, 2015 5:25 pm
"Oh! So he's the bigger threat now, is he?" Corban feigns some offence as the Minotaur goes after Kaiakas. "We'll see about that."
Corban makes expert slashes with his longsword, a veritable flurry at the slightly distracted Minotaur.

OOC: Pulling out all the stops, spending inspiration and Action surge for another swing.

Rolls

Attack 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Inspiration! Advantage Attack - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage with Longsword - (1D8+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Action Surge! Attack 2 w/Longsword - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage 2 w/longsword. - (1d8+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Sep 29, 2015 2:05 am
Zaris let's out a yelp like a dog when the arrow slams into his left leg. He looks up towards the archer and grimaces. Beyond all reason he finds himself pulling his sword out and rushing towards the archer that shot him. The rational, academic voice in his head sternly warns him, Just what do you think you're doing? while another other, much louder voice simply says Make it count. He swings an arching shot, but pulls it short and redirects it into a jab hoping to throw the archer off his defenses.

Rolls

Sword - (1d20-1)

(16) - 1 = 15

Sword (inspiration roll) - (1d20-1)

(13) - 1 = 12

Damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 29, 2015 7:16 am
Corban's blade cuts deep into the minotaur, hitting cleanly with every stage of his flurry.

Zaris stabs at the unarmoured hobgoblin and his blade cuts into its side as it fails to get out of the way.

Corban hits for 19 Damage
Zaris hits for 6 Damage

Rurik and Kaiakas
Sep 29, 2015 12:43 pm
I move around the minotaur to put him in between me and the archers while taking another swing at the beast.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Sep 29, 2015 3:27 pm
Seeing the Minotaur is being dealt with effectively for the moment, I scuttle off of the rubble and turn my attention to the archers, aiming for the one not being attacked by Zaris.

Rolls

Eldritch blast - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Damage - (1d10+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 29, 2015 3:38 pm
Kaiakas swings but his blade clangs off the minotaur's armored shoulder as it turns and heaves its axe at Corban, which hits the fighter with incredible force.

Rurik's blast slams into the bed beside the hobgoblin, shattering it and sending the creatures longsword flying across the room. The hobgoblin, being harassed by Zaris and now with no blade in easy reach, knocks and arrow but can't loose it at the wizard under the pressure of his attacks. The other archer returns fire at Rurik, the arrow clangs harmlessly to the ground at the warlock's feet.

The hobgoblin fighting Xara, still blind, flails more vigorously and violently than before. Xara weaves and dodges the attacks, and is sure that, if the thing could actually see, she might have lost her head in that flurry.

A door on the other side of the rough wooden screen opens into the room and a bugbear, dressed in robes holding a wand firmly in one hand, strolls in. He raises a hand and utters an incantation, and a sickly green ray of energy leaps forth and strikes Zaris square in the chest. The wizard feels the urge to retch, as something sickly feels like it is forcing its way up from his gut.

Kaiakas and Rurik miss... but a small consequence for the bad guys from Rurik's attack.

Corban is hit for 11 damage
Hobgoblins miss everywhere. Xara is nearly critically hit, but saved by the disadvantage roll from blindness

Zaris is hit by Ray of Sickness for 8 damage, and must make a Con Save DC 12. On a failure he becomes Poisoned for one round - which is disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.

Corban and Kaiakas are engaged with the Minotaur
Xara is engaged with the hobgoblin near the rubble

Zaris is engaged with an archer by the beds
One archer is unengaged

The bugbear is unengaged, and inaccessible via melee (one would have to either knock over the wood screen which is an action, or provoke an attack from the archers as you run past them)

Rurik is unengaged
Jorr is unengaged

Map Link
Sep 29, 2015 8:30 pm
The bolt sends the wizard backwards and in addition to the overwhelming sense of nausea, he blacks out for a second of two. When his senses return he quickly loses all the contents of his stomach.

"Help!" he cries out before retching a second time.

OOC: Down to 1 hit point!
Last edited September 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Rolls

CON saving throw - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Sep 29, 2015 8:41 pm
"DAMN! Hang on Zaris!" Corban snarls, bashes the huge minotaur with his shield and looks for another opportunity to slash with his longsword.

Rolls

Attack w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Damage w/ Longsword - (1D8+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Sep 29, 2015 10:58 pm
"Zaris!!" I slash one last time at the hobgoblin before I back away from it and then run towards Zaris.

OOC: Attack, then bonus action: disengage
Last edited September 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

Damage - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Sneak attack bonus damage? - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 30, 2015 9:11 am
The minotaur doesn't even notice Corban's attack, as he barely leaves a scratch on the creatures armor. Xara stabs teh goblin clean in the throat and it falls over, gurgling and dying at her feet as she steps over it.

Corban missed
Xara, you didn't need the bonus to disengage so you still have your bonus should you want to use it to Hide or Dash instead

Zaris, you can still take a turn, but any die rolls you make are at Disadvantage
Sep 30, 2015 9:15 am
Jorr steps over the corpse Xara created, out of the rubble. He places himself beside the wood screen and behind a collapsed pillar, then looses an arrow at the archer engaged with Zaris. The arrow slams into the creatures head and it falls backwards into the wall.
Sep 30, 2015 11:21 am
Raising my fist in victory over yet another kill (what would this group do without me?) I run past Zaris and attempt to put myself between him and the closest threat. As I move past him, I say "Save the stabbing for the professionals, Zaris! You're gonna owe me a drink after this!"
Sep 30, 2015 11:25 am
Xara runs face to face with the other archer, still holding a bow and preparing another arrow. The hobgoblin tries backing away to give himself space to fire, but backs into the wall.

Meanwhile, a newcomer reaches the top of the path and hears the sounds of battle coming form inside the keep...

Map is updated.

Kaiakas, Rurik and Zaris have turns, as does our new character who has quietly appeared at the entrance of the keep since the battle bega
Sep 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Seeing a Mage enter the battle, I cease my pot shots at the various other combatants and instead focus on him as he cowers behind his screen. My eyes wreath in infernal flames and I point at him uttering a single word "Approach". The word leaps from my mouth and flies toward the Mage writ in the same energies swirling around him echoing until he either resists or succumbs to my Command
OOC: casting command on the bugbear Mage, who must make a Wisdom save DC: 12 or he must move to within 5 feet of me by the shortest and most direct route
Sep 30, 2015 3:50 pm
Zaris feebly moves out of the way as best he can and raises his sword in a defensive posture.

OOC: Taking the dodge action. Attackers disadvantage should cancel out my disadvantage?
Sep 30, 2015 5:08 pm
Pawetha slightly opens the cowl of her fox-fur cloak as she picks her way up the path towards the Keep. Her ears twitch.

"Sounds like a fun party," she thinks. Pawetha drops her pack off the side of the trail, readies her short bow and nocks an arrow. Eyes alert for signs of activity and clues to the nature of the Keep's inhabitants, she hurries towards cover

OOC: I will head towards the courtyard and the nearest cover, be it rubble, boulders, or the walls. I'd like to see if there's any indication of the type of enemies there are and where they might be within the keep.

Rolls

Investigation (INT) - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.