Character Discussion

Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm
Let's start talking about characters here. Start off by posting with an idea of what you will be playing. In Numenera and especially in my world communities tend to be close knit and so characters have starting connections. I want to flesh this out a bit before we begin so lets start brain storming together here. For some background information on The Golden Sea and The Human Hive see Welcome to the Human Hive. If I haven't yet posted background information in that thread check back in a few hours and it will be there. Until then let me know what kind of character you would like to play or if you would like to play one of my pregens.

My pregens:

A Learned Nano who works miracles - Basically a doctor with magical ability
A Mechanical Jack who talks to machines - Super Mechanic
A Strong-Willed Glaive that leads - Sergeant more or less
An Intellegent Nano who entertains - Think a preacher or prophet
A Rugged Jack who Lives in the Wilderness - A hunter or scout
Oct 22, 2014 6:27 pm
The first two lean to my play style, a doctor or a super mechanic, because seriously, what can I not fix? Other than Gamers' Plane's activity numbers... (too early for self-deprecating jokes?)
Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm
Yes much too early for self-deprecation, we will get the activity up so worry not. As for the character I kind of figured those would be the ones you would pick. I will post the characters below:

Note: These characters are made only with the core book and contain some GM approves substitutions

---Profile---
______ is a learned nano who works miracles
Tier 1

Background Source: Ports & Plugs -

Background Connection: You belong to a secret society that gathers monthly to drink and talk -

Connection to other PC: Pick another PC, this individual quietly thinks you are the decendant of the gods -

---Stats---
Might: 8 (Edge: 0)
Speed: 10 (Edge: 0)
Intellect: 18 (Edge: 1)

---Abilities---
Effort: 1
Expert Cypher Use: Can Bear 3 Cyphers at once
Practiced with light weapons
Smart: +2 Intellect Pool (Already Reflected Above)
Inability: Poor Social Graces - Difficulty of charm, persuasion, and etiquette increased
Healing Touch (1 Intellect Point): Succeeding a difficulty 2 intellect test heals target 1d6 points to one stat pool.
[Esoteries]
1: Hedge Magic (1 Intellect Point) - Perform small "magic tricks", mend broken objects, heal superficial wounds, make objects hover, etc
2: Ward - An energy field continously surrounds you helping to deflect incoming attacks. Provides +1 Armor.

---Skills---
Identify Numenera: Trained
Knowledge of Numenera: Trained
Knowledge of Medicine: Trained
Knowledge of Biology: Trained
Knowledge of Botany: Trained

---Belongings---
Shins: 0

[Clothing / Armor]
Desert Clothing -
Leather Boots
Shoulder Slung Satchel

[Mundane Weapons]
Buzzer (Light Weapon: 2)
- 3x 5 disk magazines
Kirpan (Light Weapon: 2)

[Survival Gear]
First Aid Kit
The Gifts of the Gods (Book on Numenera)
An Expose on Life (Book on Biology)
Ailments and Remedies (Book on Medicine)

[Cyphers]
1. Rejuvenator (Level 5) - A metal needle attached to a globe of bubbling yellow fluid.
Usable: An injector that injects a fluid that restores "cypher level" points to a random stat pool

2. Sleep Inducer (Level 1) - A tiny chrome canister with a squeezable synth bulb on the handle
Usable: Inhaling the gas in this containter renders living creatures asleep for 10 minutes or until awoken

3. Stim (Level 1) - Glass vial holding a tiny red pill
Usable: When taken lowers the difficulty of the next action three steps

[Artifacts]

[Oddities]

--------------------------------------

---Profile---
______ is a mechanical jack who talks to machines.
Tier 1

Background Source: A Cobbled Jumble:

Background Connection: Your family is wealthy but earns little respect among the community -

Connection to other PC: Pick one other PC, this character has a poor relationship with the machines you communicate with, if he/she is next to you when using a machine treat it as being 1 level lower than it would be (unless this benefits you then the level does not change).

---Stats---
Might: 10 (Edge: 0)
Speed: 12 (Edge: 0)
Intellect: 16 (Edge: 1)

---Abilities---
Cypher Use: Can Bear 2 Cyphers at once
Practiced with light and medium weapons
Flex Skill: Each day select a noncombat task, that task counts as trained for the day
Smart: Intellect Pool +2 (Already Added Above)
Sense "Magic": Studying an object or location intensly for 1 minute will reveal if numenera is at work
Esotery: Hedge Magic - Perform minor "magical" tricks (1 Intellect Point)
Distant Activation: You can activate or deactivate a non intelligent machine that you understand within short distance (1 Intellect Point)
Inability: Your closeness to machines causes others to find you unnerving - social skills suffer a 1 step penalty
[Tricks of the Trade]
1: Practiced in Armor
2: Pierce: Ranged attack dealing +1 damage (1 Speed Point)

---Skills---
Machine Affinity: Trained in all tasks (use, knowledge, identification, repair, etc) involving electical machines
Mechanical Maintenance: Trained

---Belongings---
Shins: 1
[Clothing / Armor]
Desert Clothing
Leather Boots
Leather Jerkin (Light Armor: 2)

[Mundane Weapons]
Crank Crossbow (Medium Weapon: 4)
-Pouch of 5x 5-bolt Magazines
Yataghan (Medium Weapon: 4)
Knife (Light Weapon: 2)

[Survival Gear]
Bag of light tools
-Small Tongs, Pliers, Screwdriver, Small Hammer, Small Pry Bar, Lockpicks, 10ft of string, 3ft of wire, assorted hardware
Explorer's Pack
-50ft Rope, 3 Day Rations, 3 Spikes, Hammer, Cold Weather Clothing, Heavy Boots, 5 Torches, 2 Minor Glowglobes
Inkpen
Crowbar
Box of Matches (10)

[Cyphers]
1. Remote Viewer (Level 1) - Two metal cylinders hooked together length wise, When pulled apart one half reveals a glass screen the other is a small camera
Usable: Lasts 1 Hour before running out of power

2. Instant Shelter (Level 9) - A mirrored black cube that expands into a small permenant structure with one window.
Usable: Adding water to the cube causes it to open up and release nanites that build a small structure using transdimenstional materials.

[Artifacts]

[Oddities]
A necklace made of braided copper wire with various machine parts hanging as pendants
Brass goggles with clear crystal lenses that tint everything green
Oct 22, 2014 7:18 pm
Both of those sounds really cool, but I wanna be part of the Illunuminati (spelling on purpose).
Oct 22, 2014 9:32 pm
Hey Guys!
Excited to get started. This is my first time playing PBP but I am a long time table topper. I am leaning towards a jack character. Maybe a Doomed Jack who exists in two places at once? But I am not married to any particular idea yet. If someone else has their heart set on a Jack I am open to making a glaive instead.
Oct 22, 2014 9:57 pm
Glad to have you on board. I see your using Character Options thats cool. I don't see any harm in having more than one Jack so don't worry too much about that. Once I post some background/world info we can start hashing out details. I am sure you will adapt to PBP quite well. Feel free to post an Introduction so we get to know you a little, optional of course but highly encouraged. Also please do not be shy about posting around the site, we value everyone's opinions and experience and would love to hear your thoughts on the site, what kinds of games you like, and whatever else you want to share.
Oct 23, 2014 5:29 pm
Just a quick update, I am updating my pregens a little with some selections from the Character Options sourcebook to add a little diversity. I made the pregens when I ran this campaign when Numenera first came out so everything was core book. I am also hoping to start early next week if possible so now that the game is full again lets get chatting about characters. All background on the campaign is posted in my welcome post. Feel free to ask questions.
Oct 25, 2014 11:38 am
An Intelligent Nano who Entertains sounds fun to me (if it's still available).
Oct 25, 2014 3:21 pm
Yes it is still available and it is a great choice. I will post the character sheet a little later after I make the changes from the Character Options sourcebook.
Oct 25, 2014 3:46 pm
Here is the character you are interested in Candi. It is meant to be a preacher as far as profession goes. Once Keleth decides on which character to use I will explain a little how background connection and source works and then we can start hashing out backgrounds and other roleplaying details. If this doesn't appeal to you we can tweak it together or I can post a different pregen that might interest you. This character is very physically weak and not very effective in combat but the character has extensive knowledge of the Hive religion, ancient technology, and is able to glean additional information from "visions from the gods" really an unknown connection to the satellite network surrounding the planet. We will have to hash out where this connection to the numenera comes from when we start forging the background.

---Profile---
__________ is an intelligent nano who entertains
Tier 1

Background Source: Forbidden Knowledge

Background Connection: You bear a resembelance to a prophet in the Sacred Scrolls of Abernath and many believe you to be this prophet

Connection to other PC: Pick another PC, this individual is critical of your work. Your inspiration ability does not affect him/her

---Stats---
Might: 7 (Edge: 0)
Speed: 9 (Edge: 0)
Intellect: 20 (Edge: 1)

---Abilities---
Expert Cypher Use: Can Bear 3 Cyphers at once
Practiced with light weapons
Smart: +2 Intellect Pool (Already Reflected Above)
Levity: During times of rest allies are put at ease by your presence gaining a +1 to recovery rolls
[Esoteries]
1: Scan (2 Intellect Points) - Scans a 10ft cube of space at short range, revealing levels, tactics, other information as GM sees fit
2: Ward - An energy field continously surrounds you helping to deflect incoming attacks. Provides +1 Armor.

---Skills---
Knowledge of Religion: Trained
Use of Numenera: Trained
Memorization of Experiences: Trained
Levity: Trained in all social skills (except coercion and intimidation)

---Belongings---
Shins: 0

[Clothing / Armor]
Desert Clothing -
Leather Boots
Shoulder Slung Satchel

[Mundane Weapons]
Kirpan (Light Weapon: 2)

[Survival Gear]
The Sacred Scrolls of Abernath (Book on Religion)
The Gifts of the Gods (Book on Numenera)
Box of Matches (20)

[Cyphers]
1. Datasphere Siphon (Level 5) - A small synth and glass device with an inbuilt voice recorder
Usable: Will answer one question asked of it before permenantly shorting out

2. Knowledge Enhancement (Level 4) - This vial of fungus grants those who consume it extra spiritual clarity
Internal: Consuming this cypher grants training in Numenera Lore for 28 hours

3. Temporal Viewer (Level 10) - This metal and glass bracelet has a crystal affixed to the center of it.
Wearable: When activated the the crystal projects a holographic image and plays sound depicting events that occurred at the current location up to one year prior. The user must specify the time, the projection plays for 10 minutes before the power module permenantly burns out.

[Artifacts]

[Oddities]
A candle that never melts away when lit
Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm
So the character concept I am working on is A Doomed Glaive who Fights Dirty. She believes that her duty is to defend the Hive, its people, and way of life at all costs. She is a zealot. She knows this will end with her death, and perhaps the deaths of others. This is acceptable as long as the Hive is safe. She believes she is allowed to operate outside of the rules of society if necessary. How does this all sound? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!
Oct 25, 2014 11:07 pm
I'm goin for the doc Azzorak: part of the Illumenerati :D
Oct 26, 2014 4:06 pm
Cockroach I like the character concept, glad to see a Glaive. Go ahead and put it together and then submit it to the game. Keleth I am going to tweak a thing or two about the doctor but it is my favorite of the pregens. Feel free to start entering it into the character sheet and get it submitted. Candi let me know if you are going with the preacher or if you are choosing a different pregen (or creating your own). Either way you are welcome to start filling in your character sheet. I am really looking forward to getting this rolling, thanks for getting things done quick. See you all in game
Oct 27, 2014 11:09 am
Vespula looks good, I just did a cursory look, I am trusting your maths (though there is little math in Numenera chargen). I will add cyphers to the sheet and approve the character.
Oct 27, 2014 5:18 pm
Rock on! This is not my first Numenera character so it should all be correct :). If you do come across any mistakes let me know.
Excited to get started!
Oct 27, 2014 5:27 pm
As I'm coming up with a char name, what is the themeing? Fantasy, scifi? Humanish? John? Johnn? Jahn?
Oct 27, 2014 5:41 pm
Generally people in the Golden Sea follow a middle eastern medieval culture. The hive is very insect like but has middle eastern influences, hence the weapon names. Anything fantasy or middle eastern works. The first time I ran this campaign the characters were Baseel, Mujahid, and Jafar.

Cockroach, I doubt you made a mistake so dont worry. I will make first plot post as soon as I have two characters approved.
Oct 27, 2014 6:15 pm
I read my character sheet you provided, looks great to me (I still know nothing about the system, but I get the picture of the character quite well).

Let's call her "Seyyal Daima" (roughly, Turkish names meaning 'traveler' and 'always').
Oct 27, 2014 8:20 pm
Sounds good Candi. If you don't mind transfer the data over into a character sheet and submit it to the game. If you have any questions let me know. I also will be posting a new thread in OOC discussion for hashing out the character backgrounds, but we will start the game concurrently. I have all three characters now, two of which are submitted and approved so I will put up the first plot post shortly (hopefully tonight but tomorrow morning at latest).
Oct 28, 2014 2:30 am
Also I setup a thread for discussing mechanics and the setting. In that thread I linked a tutorial video which I reccomend watching. It isnt super entertaining but it teaches most of the basics of the system. The other details will sort of be a learn by doing deal. Please post any questions that come up there in regard to mechanics. Opening plot post coming tomorrow. Posts pushing plot events will generally come wednesday nights and sunday mornings but I do check in frequently and will respond to your posts so feel free to roleplay. Let tell a good story people.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.