Chapter 1 - The City

load previous
Sep 10, 2015 1:56 pm
Kel wonders if he can see his car from here? He wonders if it was hit by a meteorite...the highway will be jam packed. He wants to find out the status of his car before he tries calling home again. He nervously checks his phone for missed calls or voice mails, just in case his wife called while he didn't have a connection.

"OK, guys...security office..."
Sep 10, 2015 6:56 pm
After a quick survey of the devastation and debris of this office, Andrew decides it's better to move on to the security office rather than expend the effort of digging through wreckage.
"Tim, how are you holding up buddy?"
Sep 10, 2015 7:44 pm
Kel:
You see a missed call from about an hour ago and a voice mail from your wife. There are also a few texts that all sort of read along the lines of, "Are you okay? Please text me back. I'm worried. I love you". There are about 7 of these from before the call. You haven't heard anything back after the call and voicemail.
Sep 10, 2015 7:45 pm
Kel texts - "I AM OK. TRYING TO SEE IF I CAN GET HOME. WEIRD QUESTION - ARE THE PUGS ACTING STRANGE?"
Last edited September 10, 2015 7:46 pm
Sep 10, 2015 7:47 pm
Tim is limping a bit more and pulls up the leg of his pant. You see the bite wound looks almost like it is starting to get infected. It's getting more puffy and red, "I'll be okay, just stings like hell. Hopefully when we get to the security office they have a first aid kit." He looks at Andrew's arm, "Looks like we both are going to need some. If only we could just down some potions." He lets out a slight, and very fake chuckle as he tries to mask his nerves.
Sep 10, 2015 7:52 pm
[ Handing Dextolen a note. ]
PhantomNimbus sent a note to Dextolen
[ GM: Just posting that sentence because if I make a post with just a note it just looks like a blank post for now. ]
Sep 10, 2015 7:55 pm
Andrew nervously laughs as well.
"Yeah, I could really go for some potions. Or an ale at the tavern!"
Andrew pulls out his phone to call his fiance, Kelsey. Aside from the first panicked thoughts, he hasn't been too worried about her as she was visiting her family in Upstate New York this week. But with the increasing stress of situation, he's starting to feel worry and fear build up in the pit of his stomach.
Sep 10, 2015 9:03 pm
Jacob is just relieved that he's not hearing any critters scratching. He slips his phone out of his pocket, "I can't wait for the new iPhone 6S. Apple just rocks!", he thinks to himself as he tries to bring up the local news station's website to see if he can get any information about what is going on.

szemely sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Sep 10, 2015 9:31 pm
Kel looks up from his phone. "Hey guys. Word on the news is that animals have been going crazy all over". then he returns to his phone, texting for his wife to stay safe and watch out for rabid animals. He also tells her to get their son's baseball bat from his gear bag down in the basement to use on any animal that might get in and act weird.
Sep 10, 2015 11:20 pm
"All over town or all over the state? Or even more widespread?"
Andrew starts get more worried as the phone rings and he waits to see if his fiancé picks up.
Sep 10, 2015 11:27 pm
Andrew:
After enough rings to put a slight panic in you you hear your fiancé pick up. "Oh my god, Andrew, baby, are you safe? Have you seen this stuff about the meteors? How far were they from you? They're getting weird reports of rabid animals. It's the starangest thing. Dad got bitten by some crazy dog out there earlier. I don't know if it's the same thing but we are going to the hospital when the advisory clears that the shower is over."
Sep 10, 2015 11:38 pm
"Oh Jesus, it's so good to hear your voice. I think some of the meteors hit right here in town, we were in the office when it happened. We're all mostly okay, Tim got bit by some rats that attacked us but we're going to get help now. I want you to stay with your parents and your brothers, and stay safe. I don't know what's happening but things are getting really weird. Tell Micah I'm counting on him to keep you guys safe. I love you, if my car is okay I'll head down there tomorrow at the latest, okay? I love you, I gotta go. Keep me posted about your dad."
Andrew hangs up and turns to the group.
"You're right, at least the animals are going crazy more than just here. My fiancés dad was attacked by a dog. I don't like this one bit... Let's see if John has made it to the security office yet."
Last edited September 10, 2015 11:40 pm
Sep 11, 2015 1:30 am
Howard tries to recall the location of a lever-like object (edit: failed - 4 is over my stats). Hearing the talk of rabid animals, Howard's overactive imagination kicks in again: "Rabid animals? Man, we've got to get you some medical attention!" He thinks for a moment. "What do you do to deal with rabid animals, anyway? All I remember is how they shot the dog in To Kill a Mockingbird...the security office won't let us take their guns, but we're going to have to go out there to get you to the hospital, Tim. What can we use to fend off rabid animal like dogs?"
Last edited September 11, 2015 1:35 am

Rolls

Roll to recall a lever in the office - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 11, 2015 1:31 am
PhantomNimbus sent a note to spaceseeker19
As you get to the security office you find John, he has already been playing with the radio and is fiddling with a dial on it still. He waves you over and you hear voices coming through. It's a bit garbled and hard to hear. Police seem to be spouting out radio codes.

"It's been like this since I turned it on. Just constant talk. I'm a bit rusty with my police codes but it sounds like there have been a lot of reports of animal attacks. A couple of reports of house collapses and fires. Sounds like a ton of activity going on down town where the meteors hit", he keeps fiddling with the dial to try another band. More voices and calls, then suddenly one comes in more panicked than the rest.

"Car 15 to station."

"Car 15 you are go for station. What's the situation down there?"

"I have an officer down, repeat, officer down. Erratically behaving individual attacked officer Davis."

"Sending an ambulance car 15. What is the status of the suspect."

"After attack I fired on suspect 10 times. He didn't go down. We had to fall back. Taser seemed ineffective. We are currently on the corner of Monroe and 6th Street."

"Say again car 15. Taser was ineffective? How many shots fired?"

"Station 10 shots fired. Taser was ineffective. He continued to charge and tried to bite at both of us. Davis is unconscious and losing lots of blood."

"Ambulance is in route car 15. Stand by."

The transmission cuts out a bit from the radio and other voices come through. More police codes. John looks at everyone, "What the hell is going on out there? What is with these animals?"
Sep 11, 2015 2:14 am
"John, we've gotta get the hell out of the city and we may need something to fend off these animals and...people...too. Come with us, is there anything in the security office we can use?" Kel exclaims, adding "We could use your expertise in emergency response situations." in hopes of convincing him to assist.
Sep 11, 2015 2:28 am
"Wait a minute, did they just say people are starting to bite? What the hell is going on?!" - Jacob is starting to panic a bit.
Sep 11, 2015 2:52 am
John looks at Kel, trying to work something out in his mind. After a minute of hemming and hawing he grabs a key off his key ring and goes to a small metal cabinet on the back wall of the security room. Upon opening that there is a small case. He looks over his shoulder for a second and then moves in front of the case, trying to block the combination portion. "This is supposed to only be used in very specific emergency situations. This technically isn't on the list, but I don't think they worried about meteor strikes when they wrote those rules."

He turns and you see a small silver pistol in his hand and a single ammunition clip. "We agree attacking animals and apparently people is a reasonable emergency, right?", he clicks the clip into place, chambers a round, and checks the safety is on. He clips the holster for it to his belt and holsters the weapon, "I've never actually fired this outside the firing range, but I'm a pretty good shot there at least. What is our plan of action?"

In this security office is a large wall of various monitors with cameras watching over various locations. Some are skewed and pointing at walls or the ground, but a few still work and one is showing the lobby to the building. The windows appear to have shattered in as well and two dogs are seen on the monitor slowly walking around in the lobby.

You also find a small first-aid kit and an emergency defibrillator unit. There is another mag-light flashlight, as well as some trail-mix and snacks that one of the security guys kept in a bottom desk drawer. You also find a few sharpie markers.
Sep 11, 2015 3:08 am
Let's hope you don't need to use that, John. I think we should make our way to the hospital, or at least the Quicky-Med. We gotta get Tim checked out."
Andrew grabs the first aid kit and quickly uses some of the disinfectant to clean his and Tim's wounds, then applies triple antibiotic ointment and tapes some gauze pads over them. He takes the flashlight and snacks and puts them in his bag.
Sep 11, 2015 3:30 am
John turns to the monitors. "The quickest way out is of course the front lobby. But these dogs have been hanging out in there since I got back up here. They aren't sniffing anything they just are wandering. I don't like it. Not after what I've been reading about this rabies stuff online."

He walks over to a basic map layout of the building and looks it over for a minute, "We could go back to the stairwell you came from, go down to the first floor, and try to find a broken open window to get out of. We should just do it quiet. I googled rabies and apparently sounds can trigger erratic behavior in rabid animals. What do you guys think? Do you have cars?"
Sep 11, 2015 3:37 am
Tim finishes bandaging his wound and tests pressure on it. "I think I'll live guys. It would be great to get to a Quicky-Med at least to have someone look at this. I don't know how long it takes rabies to set in but I know I'm going to need some shots."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.