Chapter 1 - The City

Sep 3, 2015 2:30 am
http://www.cgarchitect.com/content/portfolioitems/2012/08/58913/nemo_studio_large.jpg

You pull into the parking lot across the street and see the rest of the group is already there. Each of you has gone through this routine dozens of times. It looks like you all arrived before Tim this time. Hoping that he didn't forget again you check your phone for the time every few minutes until you see his Dodge Neon pull up to the spot next to everyone else. He gets out, grabs his bag and walks over, "Hey guys, sorry I'm late. Looks like the traffic on the interstate was pretty bad. I think it's people going to the park for that meteor shower tonight." He leads the group across the street to the office.

"Everyone remember where we left off? I think Jacob, you were...", his voice trails, mostly because you stop listening. You are preoccupied with looking around to see if anyone is watching you. Tim always said he had legit access to the offices after hours, but somehow you never quite believed him. You don't complain much. You have a great place to game with vending machines and all of the amenities.

After getting in through the stairwell exit with a key Tim has you go up to the third floor and he opens up the big conference room. It's got the big long oak conference table. The hiring manager seemed overly proud of the fact that the table was pure oak. You understand why you instantly hated that hiring manager.

The full-length windows give you a good view over the other couple of squat buildings around. Laracaster isn't a terrible town, just fairly small and uninteresting. You can see the overpriced and under featured zoo about a mile south of you. It's almost entirely surrounded by chain outlet stores and big-box retailers. The view even affords you views of the police station and fire station to the south east. You can even see the hospital that is clear across town from up here. When you see the city at night like this, lit up, you almost think it's actually kind of nice.

As Tim comes back in to the conference room he starts setting up the campaign notes he has and getting out his DM screen. He even gets out that damn voice recorder. Still trying to get that live play podcast going, you've recorded like ten of these sessions and he hasn't released a single episode. Whatever. It's game time.

"Alright, lets do the quick introduction part first," Tim says as he flicks on the recorder, "Alright state your name, and your character name, give us a short few sentence intro and we can get started."

[ GM: Any time I need to point out a particular part of the story that I need to highlight in a GM note it will look like this. For now this is the start to the story and feel free to just be creative with this part. ]
Sep 3, 2015 3:33 am
Kel is elated to be back into gaming live again. His job as a planner is easy enough, and most of the people in his team think what he does all day is 'magic' enough to allow him to work on gaming material throughout the workday. Printing was easy, before or after hours - and he'd even gotten the company print shop to print a ring-bound rulebook for him - they didn't even notice...

Tim seemed like a good guy, Kel didn't really work with him that much but knew he was a gamer the minute he saw him. The others, he had seen in the office but hadn't really gotten to know at all. When Tim's request came and nobody jumped immediately, Kel stepped it.

"Hi...Kel from Program Purchasing - I'll be playing Gilly, a human rogue....he's avoided joining the thieves guild and is a petty criminal at this stage. Specialized in pick pocketing and breaking and entering. Not a really violent criminal....keeps quiet ...is socking his money away for something...undisclosed at this point... He's balding, but lets the remaining hair grow - probably too long and wears a dark grey cloak with a hood. I'm not sure how I know the others..."

Kel take a sip of his Coke Zero and pops a single almond in his mouth and waits for someone else to talk.
Sep 3, 2015 8:22 am
"Hey, Kel. Hey, everybody: I'm Howard. I'm Delfina Rose's administrator over in Sundries." Howard shuffles through his laptop bag, looking for his characters. Feeling bad about himself, he has a tendency to play righteous paladins and stalwart heroes. This time, he's deciding to step a bit out of his comfort zone, so he pulls out a dwarven ranger whose primary characteristic is that he speaks not in a Scottish accent like every other dwarf in every other game ever, but instead sounds a great deal like Cheech Marin. He uses this to blow off some steam, trying to get the group laughing so he can feel comfortable.

"Hey, Gilly! You might not remember me, but I remember you from back in the day! First time I came into this town, these humans were like, 'let's start some crap with that dwarf.' They said 'Hey, Plagmor Escuela, we don't think you're a ranger at all. You're too little!' They were all ready to beat me up, and then Gilly here steps up and says 'Hey guys, this guy's OK. I saw him beat the hell out of some gnolls this one time - he's definitely a ranger!' This guy, this Gilly, he could have kept quiet, he could have minded his own business, but instead he stood up for me, man. I appreciate it, and I'll never forget it. I'll never forget how they beat the crap out of both of us after that. But that day, man, whether you remember it or not, you earned the gratitude of a dwarven ranger that day."

Having finished setting out his dice, books, and pencils, Howard takes an index card, folds it in half, writes "PLAGMOR ESCUELA" on one side, and stands it in front of him. Then as the others introduce their characters, he proceeds to set out some chips and salsa on the table for everyone.

(edit: posting as Howard, rather than player)
Last edited September 3, 2015 4:19 pm
Sep 3, 2015 2:20 pm
Kel likes Howard already...he follows suit and does a name card. Adding his AC and HP to it too, to ease the DM's burden.

"Yeah! How's it going man?" he says in Gilly's slightly southern accent. "Gilly buys a round for the dwarf and himself" he says to the GM as he turns to hear the other players' intros.

He glances over to the chips. He's been doing great at getting his blood sugar levels down eating low carb - but man, does he miss salty snacks like chips and salsa. To get his mind off the generous and delicious offering of Howard's, he opens his roasted almonds and eats one. He doesn't offer them up, however, as he only has so much and the session could go long.
Sep 3, 2015 9:49 pm
"Hey everyone, I'm Jacob from IT.

*waits for everyone to stop booing*

"Yeah, yeah. I don't make the rules when it comes to the firewalls, I just enforce them. Anyway, Juliska is a Siren from the north of the continent who is in a never ending search to find other Sirens. But so far all she has found is a lot of trouble with you two! She specializes in crowd control, not necessarily killing or damaging opponents, but just making their life terribly difficult while the other members of her party kill and damage them."

Not wanting to be left out, Jacob quickly sets up a name card for Juliska - "JULISKA VILMOS - SIREN" - and then leans back in his chair.
Last edited September 3, 2015 10:03 pm
Sep 3, 2015 10:36 pm
Howard looks through his notes and reads a bit about Sirens, idly trying to remember the problem he was having with his laptop's display settings the other day. Jacob would totally be the person to ask for help...
Sep 3, 2015 11:39 pm
Kel wonders if Jacob can remove Dropbox from the company's banned site list as he pulls out his dice bag that his wife knit for him and gets out his favorite precision edge 'Zocchi' dice.
Sep 4, 2015 8:24 am
"Hey guys, I'm Andrew. I work in maintenance, and can I just say I'm so excited to be playing today, it's been far too long."
Andrew pulls out his character sheet, dice, and pencils, then arranges them meticulously in front of himself.
"My character's name is Dyson, he's a human fighter. He's got dark skin, dark eyes, and doesn't say much. He specializes in fighting with spear and sword, and you can tell by the symbols painted on his armor he's a member of the Legion. He orders a mug of ale and sits at the bar, staring into his mug and unsettling the poor barkeep. "
As Andrew follows suit and makes an index card name card for Dyson, his stomach rumbles and he gleefully partakes of the chips and salsa, thanking Howard with a big smile.
Sep 4, 2015 4:58 pm
After the introductions the awkwardness lessens a bit and you start on the campaign. About an hour in, just as your party is about to cut down a a tribe of Kobolds that have been raiding a small village, an alarm on Tim's phone sounds. He quickly turns it off, noting he, "...decided to set a timer for the meteor shower in case anyone was interested. It would be a good spot to see it up here."

As you all glance at the full-length windows lining the entire external wall of the conference room you do indeed see a few streaks in the sky. Nothing much out of the ordinary, but at least there is a great view from up here.

You notice a few brighter streaks among the many, and they are starting to fill the sky. The view of it is actually quite spectacular as soon the night sky is lit up with streaking tracers of light. You had heard this was going to be quite a shower, but haven't seen one this amazing before. You see a strong streak of light that crosses through the sky and suddenly you see it impact in the distance. Had to be at least 60-70 miles away but it made a bright flash as it hit the distant landscape.

"That's certainly going to make the news. Meteors hitting down like that is pretty rare", Tim says, smiling.

An instant later you see another streak, incredibly bright. It shoots towards the ground. Close. Too close. It impacts the ground just south of the Hospital across town. You see it hit down, fire, a large explosion, then you feel the shockwave rumble your building, even this far away.

As the event unfolds, almost in slow motion, another wave of force crashes into the side of the building with enough force to shatter the outer pane of some of the windows. The floor shakes a little harder. As you take this all in, another distant explosion rings out and you see a plume of dust and debris rising from across town.

The smile fades from Tim's face as what he is seeing registers on his face.
Sep 4, 2015 5:11 pm
"Holy shit!" Kel exclaims backing away from the window. "We should get somewhere..safe..." He looks back out to the window as he packs his bags.
Sep 4, 2015 5:19 pm
Stuffing his laptop back into his bag and grabbing his phone Jacob yells "Basement!?" and heads for the door. He stops, runs back to the table, grabs his Dalek figure, and jams it into his pocket. '"Can't forget that!"
Sep 4, 2015 5:43 pm
Tim stares out the window a moment longer, still not quite believing the scene he is seeing. After hearing Jacob shout basement Tim snaps out of it and starts packing his own bag as well. "Um, yeah, the stairs are just out of the office to the left," he says, his voice a bit shaken. He stops the recording and shoves the recorder into his bag as well and heads out with everyone else.
Sep 4, 2015 7:06 pm
As they walk, Kelly pulls out his phone to call his wife. "I wonder if there will be a signal?" he thinks out loud.
Sep 4, 2015 7:14 pm
Kel:
You appear to be receiving a signal still and when you call your wife she picks up and starts quickly spouting off a lot at once. "Where are you? Are you safe? What was that? I see smoke and fire coming from the city. What happened? The power is out in the house. It looks like the whole neighborhood is out. The whole house shook. That vase your mother gave us fell off the shelf and broke...", after a few minutes you finally manage to get a word in.
Sep 4, 2015 7:23 pm
"Hon, it's some sort of meteorite shower, just get the kids and get in the basement...It's pretty bad here, but we're ok.. I'll get home when I can, but there could be lots of traffic. Don't worry, everything is going to be ok" he says as the group marches towards the stairs.
Sep 4, 2015 7:29 pm
Kel:
You hear her moving around the house and rousing the kids. "Okay, I'm going to get to the basement. I'll call you soon. Keep your phone on." you hear her telling the kids that they have to go downstairs as she hangs up.

Everyone:
As people are grabbing their stuff, moving out the door, and heading to the stairwell there is another earth shaking 'thud' noise, followed by more explosions in the distance. You can't see where it hit but it sounded louder than the last. A moment later another wave of force hits the building, it spiders the glass on all of the window and one on the far end of the conference room blows in completely.
Sep 4, 2015 8:17 pm
"We need some sort of shelter, NOW!"
Andrew starts running and taking the steps two at a time, hurrying down as fast as he can.
"Oh God, oh God, I hope Kelsey's okay..."
Sep 4, 2015 8:27 pm
[ GM: Andrew, as you are trying to go down the stairs fairly quickly I'm going to have you make a quick dexterity test. You get one positive dice, always, by default. The fear of outrunning real life meteors crashing into earth will grant you a negative dice. So roll one positive and one negative dice. (do them as two separate rolls on a single post) ]
Sep 4, 2015 10:18 pm
As they are rushing down the second flight of stairs, Howard realized "It's going to be pretty dark down in the basement if the power's out...", and tries to remember if the storage room still has any of those little giveaway flashlight keychains left over from the last tradeshow.
Sep 4, 2015 10:55 pm
[ GM: Howard do a positive and negative check as well, your test is against your willpower ]
Sep 5, 2015 12:40 am
With no family in the immediate area Jacob's only concern is getting to the basement. "I hope the wifi is still going strong, have to figure out if this is happening anywhere else."
Sep 5, 2015 1:59 am
[OOC: I'm not sure how to roll dice in chat, so I'll roll them IRL? I rolled a 4 for my positive and a 1 for my negative, And if I understand correctly, that's a failure?]
Sep 5, 2015 2:15 am
Andrew:
As you are skipping steps on the way down the stairs you slip down a few and bang your knee against the hand rail. You keep going through the pain and soon it is just a minor nuisance.

[ GM: To roll dice in the forum as you post (not in quick reply you have to go to 'Advanced') and then under the text box there should be an area to add new dice rolls. You have to save to see the results (to prevent cheating the dice). As far as this roll yes, you will add one stress to your physical stress boxes on the first level, I'll RP the results a bit, like above. ]
Sep 5, 2015 2:50 am
Kel tries to keep up, not being the most physically fit, but it's down, so gravity and all, and he's scared as fuck.

Rolls

+ D6 - (1d6)

(1) = 1

- D6 - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 5, 2015 3:15 am
Kel:
You are able to keep up quite well as this group hurries down the stairs towards the basement.

Everyone:
As you all get to the bottom of the stairwell you come to the door of the basement. Tim gets down a few moments later, winded. He walks quickly over to the door and pushes on the bar to open the door. The entire basement is pitch black as he stumbles in and starts fumbling for a switch or anything to get some light in here. Pulling out a cell phone he tries to use the screen for light but can't seem to find a switch.
Sep 5, 2015 4:00 am
Kel feels safer down here regardless. He gets out his phone too, adding to the light. "Close your eyes for like 10 seconds, you'll adjust to the dark" he says, remembering that from some magazine.
Last edited September 5, 2015 4:00 am
Sep 5, 2015 4:35 am
For Jacob the dark is actually a welcome problem to have after his recent eye surgery. He tilts his sunglasses back high on his head and asks, "What's all down here, Tim? Any monitors we could turn on to give us at least a little bit of light?"
Sep 5, 2015 3:29 pm
Howard tries to remember the presence/location of the keychain flashlight giveaway items.

Nope. Can't remember. Howard loudly rustles through the giant bag of chips and crunch some loudly.

In addition to failing the test, I have a negative die left over. With the negative die on this test, I take MENTAL stress, correct?

Physical
3 [][][]
2 [][][]
1 [][][]

Mental
3 [][][]
2 [][][]
1 [X][][]

Social
3 [][][]
2 [][][]
1 [][][]
Last edited September 5, 2015 3:37 pm

Rolls

Positive - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Negative - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 5, 2015 8:26 pm
[ GM: Correct. You have a mental stress from the situation. ]

"Wait, 10 seconds, that can't possibly work", you hear Tim call from the dark room. Roughly 10 seconds later you hear, "Holy shit, guys, it works.

A few moments later he flips a switch in the basement and fluorescent lights start to flicker to life slowly.
Sep 5, 2015 8:30 pm
As the lights flicker on slowly across the length of the room you see the basement utility room. It's a fairly expansive room maybe 40 foot long and 20 foot wide. As you come in the door you see a row of pipes coming out of the wall and going up into the ceiling, as well as a bank of power meters slowly ticking away.

The light slowly fills and brightens the space and you noticed a quick scurrying as a few small rats dart behind cover, and probably into a hole somewhere, to avoid notice. Other than the meters and a boiler there is only one more door on the far wall of this room just labeled "UTILITIES".

Another faint shudder is felt under your feet, probably another impact, but you barely feel it, it must have been much further away.
Sep 5, 2015 9:34 pm
Howard looks: is Tim in here with us, or does it seem like he's behind the UTILITIES door?

Howard sets down the bag of chips and looks for something to wipe his hands on. Nope; forgot to bring napkins or paper towels in his bag. He wipes his fingers on his pants, making a mental note to stain treat them when he does laundry later (reassured that he still has all his quarters in his pocket). Also, *is* the WiFi still working? If not, Howard turns on cell data on his phone. His idea is to check for a breaking news report or a civil defense warning. He's tempted to call Janet (his paramour), and then feels guilty about not thinking of calling his wife, and then is saddened to remember the divorce. He uses his phone in one hand and eats some more chips.

If there's no data (maybe reception down deep belowground is bad?), he'll give up after a minute and try to distract himself. "So...anyone up to game some more? It looks like we have some time..."

If he can get data, Howard will instead be absorbed the next few minutes, browsing for news, then inevitably ending up on social media sites.
Sep 5, 2015 9:42 pm
Tim is still in this room with you. As you check your phone you see that you have no service and can't seem to detect the wifi down here. It seems like it may be the structure down here. This thing seems to be built like a bunker, which may seem reassuring. As long as you don't also recognize how much it is like a tomb.
Sep 5, 2015 9:58 pm
Jacob quickly puts his sunglasses back over his eyes as the lights flicker to life. He walks over to the what appears to be a utility closet and will try to open the door.
Sep 5, 2015 10:08 pm
"Hey, guys - we should probably stay in the stairwell. They are usually the most structurally sound parts of a high-rise building." Kel spoke, recalling a book he had read about 9/11. He thought about how he was always hoping for something exciting to happen...well, this certainly is it.
Sep 5, 2015 10:11 pm
Jacob:
The door is locked. It's a standard metal door.
Sep 5, 2015 10:19 pm
As Jacob is walking back from the Utilities Room he hears Kel suggest the stairwell. "Might not be a bad idea, really. Might be able to get some sort of signal from there as well." He stops next to Tim and asks "Know of anyway to get into the utilities closet?"
Sep 5, 2015 10:29 pm
"I only have the one key, but I can try it.", Tim says as he walks to the door. He tries the key in the door but it doesn't budge.

"Andrew, you're maintenance, did you bring keys with you?", he asks.
Sep 6, 2015 5:38 am
"Uhhh, yeah, hold on. I should have them..."
Andrew rustles around in his bag, then his pockets, then his back pockets, and finally the cargo pockets on his pants, eventually pulling out a large key ring with at least fifty keys on it.
"... it's just a matter of finding which key. And that can be a real pain."
He starts trying keys in the door, one by one.
"Honestly I think it's pretty ridiculous we have this many keys. The building isn't even that big, and I think I've only ever used the same five keys in my duties!"
Andrew gives a nervous chuckle and stretches out the leg on which he banged his knee, clearly trying to take his mind off the current situation.
Last edited September 6, 2015 5:39 am
Sep 6, 2015 11:24 am
"I wonder how big this is? Is this affecting the whole country?" While partially in the stair well, Kel tries to see if 4G reception is any better...trying to look at CNN's mobile site.
Sep 6, 2015 8:36 pm
As Andrew opens the door to utilities you hear more scuttling as light fills the small room. Rats scatter from the light into another hold in the foundation. Inside here you find fairly common cleaning supplies. Mops, brooms, some basic cleaners, as well as tools for maintenance. Basic wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers.

Kel:
As you go into the stairway you go from 'No Signal' to 'E'. The speed is very slow but with enough time you are able to finally get the CNN homepage. There is a breaking news update that meteors have struck the area around Laracaster and at least two touched down in the area. Your signal is very spotty so you can't quite learn more at the time. The last thing you read is that it is advised to stay indoors for the next few hours to ensure the shower has finished.
Sep 6, 2015 9:28 pm
Looking about the utility room Jacob doesn't find anything that grabs his interest. "Was hoping for some flashlights or something." Exiting back into the main room of the basement he asks aloud, "Should we head to the stairwell then? I'd like to see if I can get some signal on this thing!" while holding up his phone.
Sep 6, 2015 10:23 pm
Andrew:
Being from maintenance you know that there is at least one small mag-lite flashlight down here in a toolbox. You are able to search around and find it. Jacob must have overlooked it because it was buried in a toolbox.
Sep 7, 2015 7:55 am
"Well Jacob, you just need to know where to look!"
Andrew grabs the flashlight and turns to offer it to him with a smile.
"I, uh, I think we should stay here for a bit. It seems structurally sound, and we have electricity. Maybe in an hour or so we can check outside and see what's happening. But, then again, what if my family is hurt and needs my help?"
Andrew rubs his head and looks down at the floor in distress.
Sep 8, 2015 1:23 pm
Feeling that idleness is going to lead to frantic worry, which is pointless, Howard hunkers down to the floor and leans against the wall, trying to come up with some topic to distract/occupy the group before each person splits off into panic. "I think you're right; we should wait for a while before we check again - maybe see how long it takes for the power to come back on." Being both imaginative and nostalgic, Howard continues "This reminds me a bit of back when I was in camp, everybody gathered around the light at night. Anybody know any good ghost stories?"
Sep 8, 2015 2:18 pm
"I wonder if our cars got hit?" Kel says as he fiddles with his keys, listening and feeling for more impacts. His only concern was now for to be by his family's side. He always worried about living an hour's drive from work, that it would be a problem should an emergency happen.
Sep 8, 2015 2:40 pm
As you are all trying to formulate plans and keep entertained during your time in this basement some time passes. It's only about 20 minutes later but with spotty cell coverage in the stairwell outside the basement room it feels like it has been hours. From the utilities room on the far side of the basement you hear what sounds like a high-pitched squeal. You know rats infest down here, sounds like two must have gotten in a scuffle over something. Who even knows what they eat down here.

You suddenly see a small rat roaming around the door of the Utilities room, it's about 30 feet from most of you, as you have been hanging out closer to the stairwell to try and get any signal on your phones. The rat, unlike the others doesn't seem afraid of your presence, and seems to be crawling a little half-hazardly. It seems to be leaving a dark trail on the floor behind it. In another minute you see another rat acting similarly unusual come from inside the Utilities room to the doorway as well.
Sep 8, 2015 3:23 pm
Howard gets up, curious and a little uneasy about non-skittish rodents. What are they...? he looks to see if everyone else is seeing this. "Hyah!!" he yells, trying to get them to behave normally and run away.
Sep 8, 2015 4:02 pm
"The whole thing must have them freaked." Kel says while still staying in the stairwell door.
Sep 8, 2015 6:10 pm
Tim laughs a bit, "Must be hungry!"

He grabs a chip from the bag he has started snacking from and starts to walk towards the rat. As he bends down to feed the rat it jumps a few inches off the ground and snaps at the chip. Tim drops it and falls back into a sit. The rat keeps moving past the chip towards Tim Tim is scooting back quickly in a clumsy crab walk, "Uh, guys, the thing is bleeding, it's covered in blood. There's blood on it guys." He keeps scooting back until he runs up against the wall right next to the doorway leading to the stairwell. The rat continues it's pursuit across the floor, the other rat that was in the door way is also now moving this way as well, leaving another dark trail as it moves.

As you are trying to take it in Tim kicks at the rat and it grabs on to his kicking leg. "Ow, fuck!", Tim cries as he kicks the rat off of him and scurries out the door mentioning something about rabies frantically. The rat skips across the floor after being kicked, leaving a small dark splotch on the ground where it hits.

A few more small rats start to come from the darkness in the Utilities room. At least another 5 or 6.
Sep 8, 2015 6:36 pm
"What the fuck?" Kelly exclaims, he looks around for something to use to fend them off like a broom or other long stick like thing, while also helping Tim up. "Are you ok?"
Last edited September 8, 2015 6:39 pm
Sep 8, 2015 6:41 pm
There was both a broom, and a mop inside the Utilities room, which currently now has rats coming out of it. They are coming out of that room and starting to cross the 30 feet across the basement room towards the door that leads from this large basement room to the stairwell. This is the doorway Kelly is standing in.

Tim has now gone out the door and is starting to move up the stairs, he is limping ever so slightly.
Sep 8, 2015 6:49 pm
Kelly follows Tim's lead, "C'mon guys, lets get out of here!".
Sep 8, 2015 7:41 pm
As he goes out into the stairwell, Andrew waits by the door so he can quickly slam it shut as soon as the last of his companions passes through.
Sep 8, 2015 8:53 pm
Howard is astonished that there are so many rats, and leaves with the rest, back into the dark stairwell. He refrains from making a gaming joke about how they failed their inevitable beginning encounter with rats in the basement. Tim seems really hurt; now's not the time for such jokes. Tim is going to need a rabies shot, but of all the times when he could've been bitten, he had to get bitten now, when emergency services are going to be busy with car crashes, fires and whatever other emergencies arise when a meteorite impact cuts power to the city.

"Hey, Tim, how are you? Did it break the skin? We may need to take you to the hospital to get that looked at."
Sep 8, 2015 8:58 pm
Tim, seeing that the door is going to be shut behind them stops a few stairs up and lifts his pant leg. There is a small spot where it looks like the rat had bit him on the leg. Two small puncture marks and one or two stray red claw marks are all that seems to be there. "Damnit. Fucker bit me. I'm going to need shots for this, I'm sure of it." He keeps looking over the small wound, takes out a water bottle he had been drinking out of and pours a small amount over the wound. Wincing at the pain of the cool water he keeps checking back to make sure the door is getting shut behind everyone.
Sep 8, 2015 9:37 pm
Sitting on the stairs, a few steps above the others while Tim inspects his leg, Jacob ponders out loud, "You know how dogs and cats are supposed to start acting weird before and during natural disasters? I wonder if those rats are doing that?"

Standing quickly and wanting to get out of the basement he changes the subject, "Right, hospital then? Or maybe there's a Quicky-Med* around here someplace..."

*Quicky-Med is a protected trade mark of Szemely.
Last edited September 8, 2015 9:38 pm
Sep 8, 2015 10:02 pm
After slamming the door shut and making sure there isn't a big enough crack in the bottom for them to squeeze through, Andrew leans his back against the door and wipes some nervous sweat off his brow.
"It's been a while since the last impact, right? Maybe it is time to check outside and find a hospital or whatever. And I don't wanna sound weird or paranoid, but if this really is a thing that's affecting animals weirdly and making them aggressive, maybe we should try to find some way to defend ourselves. You know, just in case? I don't wanna get attacked by any dogs or whatever."
Last edited September 8, 2015 10:03 pm
Sep 8, 2015 10:27 pm
"Should we tell someone in Security about the rabid rats? They might have a radio or know better what's going on. Isn't the security office behind the main lobby?" Kel says, breathing a bit heavy as the group ascends the stairs quickly.
Sep 9, 2015 12:06 am
"I know John in security, we go to church together. I think he's working tonight, let me see if I can get him on his cell..."
Andrew pulls out his phone and dials John's number, hoping there's enough reception to connect the call.
Sep 9, 2015 12:32 am
John answers the phone after a few rings, "Hey, Andy, what's going on? Did you hear the explosions out there? I'm at work in the north stairwell at the office, it looks like some meteors hit? Knocked some monitors off the wall in the security office." you know the north stairwell is on the opposite side of the office from you.

As you are listening to John the other side of the basement door sounds as if small paws are scratching all along the bottom of it.
Sep 9, 2015 12:54 am
Andrew puts the phone on speaker so everyone can hear as John is talking, then replies,
"John, it's so good to hear you're alright. Me and a few guys from the office were just starting a game session when all this started happening, and we're in the stairwell now. We'd taken cover in the basement but something really weird is happening and we literally got attacked by a horde of blood covered rats. I'm freaking out a little bit, and Tim got bit by one of the rats. The rest of us are okay but we need to get him some medical attention ASAP. Do you have any radios or something to figure out what's going on and what the situation is outside?"
Last edited September 9, 2015 12:54 am
Sep 9, 2015 1:26 am
Hearing the scratching at the door Jacob is determined to put as much space between him and the basement as possible. "Guys, I don't know where we should go, but let's get the hell out of this place."

"Rats! Why does it always fucking have to be rats!" he ponders to himself as he starts to panic a bit.
Sep 9, 2015 1:35 am
"Let's head over to the security office, we can see if the shower is over" Kel states as he takes a marker and writes - "DANGER - RABID RATS"
Sep 9, 2015 1:57 am
Through the speaker phone John is quiet for a few moments, "I think there is a set of radios back at the security office. I sort of picked up and left when I felt the shaking. Trent showed me how to cue the radios into police scanners before. Maybe we can try that. Meet me in the security office. You remember where it is?" You remember being shown the security office during some orientation, it's on the second floor near the north stairwell that John is in.

"Did you say something about rats? I've been hearing scratching coming from behind the basement door over here. What is going on?", John says.
Sep 9, 2015 2:26 am
Getting impatient as the sounds of scratching continues Jacob climbs a few more steps before looking back at the others, "Security office then, yeah? Let's go!!"
Sep 9, 2015 2:29 am
"Agreed!"
Sep 9, 2015 2:37 am
As the group gets to the second floor door in this stairwell you can't seem to push it open. It opens just the smallest amount, but something must clearly be blocking it on the other side. The small sliver you can see through makes it appear as though this floor must have taken a good brunt of the shockwaves that hit the building. All of the cubicles and office furniture look flown about and scattered everywhere.
Sep 9, 2015 3:17 am
"Well, we can either go up or down and then over, or work together to push this door open. Or we can make for our cars in the lot...we need to take a look outside regardless."
Sep 9, 2015 4:28 am
Jacob:
As you've been going through this it does occur to you Tim is still limping a bit. Trying to recall all of the Quicky-Med Minute Clinics around that may be open this late you think there is one maybe like two blocks south of the building here. You think it was one of those 24 hour things that had a drug store, snacks, magazines, the works.
Sep 9, 2015 5:47 am
"Yeah, John, we'll meet at the security office. Do NOT open any doors if you can hear scratching, these rats have rabies or mad cow disease or something. I don't understand it but we can all figure it out together. Be safe, buddy."
Andrew hangs up the phone and looks at his companions.
"I think we should get this door open and go through to the security office. Anyone want to help me push?"
He braces himself up against the door and squares his feet, trying to get into a good position.
Sep 9, 2015 7:14 am
"Sure!" Howard squeezes in next to Andrew, trying to leave room for others to help, and starts slowly to shove. +1 positive die to Andrew's open door roll.

(OOC question: I believe that we turned on a generator earlier for power in the basement; is that right? If so, is there still power and light up here, or is it dark? If there's light and we can move the door enough to get a head through, Howard may poke his head out the door to see if there's something behind the door blocking it that could be shifted out of the way...while at the same time, Howard's player screams "No, no!")
Sep 9, 2015 11:04 am
Power is still on in this building actually. Kel had only heard that power was down in the suburbs out of town. The office has had power. The switch flipped downstairs was for the lights in the pitch black basement. If you looked through the crack in this door you may have seen some ceiling lights that fell on this side of the office. The shockwave that came through did quite a bit of damage here. There still seems to be enough light to navigate with.

There is also not enough space to do more than look through a crack in the door.
Sep 9, 2015 12:24 pm
Kel helps shoulder the door open. He likes this teamwork but is still thinking about simply making for his car and trying to get back to his family. He is confident that when they get through this door, he can take a look out the windows and gauge just how bad this all is.
Sep 9, 2015 8:13 pm
Bolstered by all the help from his companions, Andrew gives a mighty heave on the door.

Rolls

Positive - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Positive - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Positive - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Negative - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 9, 2015 10:19 pm
Jacob will add his weight to the door as well.
Sep 10, 2015 1:04 am
OOC: If I can add that now here it is

Rolls

positive die from Jacob - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 10, 2015 4:08 am
Andrew, with the help of his friends is able to break the door open with minimal effort, but as he crashes through the doorway a bit of metal on the other side gives him a slight cut on his arm. Nothing very serious, but it is bleeding. It looks like a cabinet was blocking the way, most cabinets, desks, and cubicles are blown into this room, As you look south out of the building all of the windows here are shattered inward and the ground is covered in shards of broken glass.

The impacts must have sent some pretty hard shockwaves into the buildings. From here you know you could go through a few hallways to get to the security office. It's not a hard walk even. Looking out from this building you see busted windows and parts of other nearby smaller buildings have crumbled slightly. Only small chunks seem to have been knocked loose, but you can definitely tell they are in the same boat as you.

You can't quite see as far as you could before because the buildings surrounding your office are two story buildings as well. If you try you can still make out two distinct smoke trails reaching into the night sky. You also hear the very faint wail of sirens and horns of emergency vehicles.

[ GM: You succeeded 3 times in the physical test, but the negative dice didn't cancel, so you accumulate a physical stress ]
Sep 10, 2015 6:35 am
Howard is momentarily stunned to see the extent of the damage. That said, he's tempted to go back up to the third floor to get a better view. Instead, though, he's going to think if he can recall the location of any thing that could be used as a lever to move any further toppled furniture - crowbar, fireaxe, broom handle, ficus tree, whatever. He figures it's likely that they'll need to traverse more blocked areas on the way to the security office, so something to lever heavy objects would be useful.
Sep 10, 2015 7:01 am
"Well, crap." As Andrew inspects his new gash, he remembers that every workspace has at least a basic first aid kit in keeping with OSHA standards. He gives the wrecked office a quick survey looking for one, figuring he can probably find one in the security office if he can't find anything out here.
Sep 10, 2015 11:11 am
Andrew:
You do recall that there is small first aid kit in the security office. It probably has some basic supplies.

Howard:
You can't seem to find anything in the immediate area, but roll a single uncontested willpower check to try and remember if you know where there might be a leverage object.

[ GM: Roll just a single positive dice. If it's a success you remember where something is. ]
Sep 10, 2015 1:56 pm
Kel wonders if he can see his car from here? He wonders if it was hit by a meteorite...the highway will be jam packed. He wants to find out the status of his car before he tries calling home again. He nervously checks his phone for missed calls or voice mails, just in case his wife called while he didn't have a connection.

"OK, guys...security office..."
Sep 10, 2015 6:56 pm
After a quick survey of the devastation and debris of this office, Andrew decides it's better to move on to the security office rather than expend the effort of digging through wreckage.
"Tim, how are you holding up buddy?"
Sep 10, 2015 7:44 pm
Kel:
You see a missed call from about an hour ago and a voice mail from your wife. There are also a few texts that all sort of read along the lines of, "Are you okay? Please text me back. I'm worried. I love you". There are about 7 of these from before the call. You haven't heard anything back after the call and voicemail.
Sep 10, 2015 7:45 pm
Kel texts - "I AM OK. TRYING TO SEE IF I CAN GET HOME. WEIRD QUESTION - ARE THE PUGS ACTING STRANGE?"
Last edited September 10, 2015 7:46 pm
Sep 10, 2015 7:47 pm
Tim is limping a bit more and pulls up the leg of his pant. You see the bite wound looks almost like it is starting to get infected. It's getting more puffy and red, "I'll be okay, just stings like hell. Hopefully when we get to the security office they have a first aid kit." He looks at Andrew's arm, "Looks like we both are going to need some. If only we could just down some potions." He lets out a slight, and very fake chuckle as he tries to mask his nerves.
Sep 10, 2015 7:52 pm
[ Handing Dextolen a note. ]
PhantomNimbus sent a note to Dextolen
[ GM: Just posting that sentence because if I make a post with just a note it just looks like a blank post for now. ]
Sep 10, 2015 7:55 pm
Andrew nervously laughs as well.
"Yeah, I could really go for some potions. Or an ale at the tavern!"
Andrew pulls out his phone to call his fiance, Kelsey. Aside from the first panicked thoughts, he hasn't been too worried about her as she was visiting her family in Upstate New York this week. But with the increasing stress of situation, he's starting to feel worry and fear build up in the pit of his stomach.
Sep 10, 2015 9:03 pm
Jacob is just relieved that he's not hearing any critters scratching. He slips his phone out of his pocket, "I can't wait for the new iPhone 6S. Apple just rocks!", he thinks to himself as he tries to bring up the local news station's website to see if he can get any information about what is going on.

szemely sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Sep 10, 2015 9:31 pm
Kel looks up from his phone. "Hey guys. Word on the news is that animals have been going crazy all over". then he returns to his phone, texting for his wife to stay safe and watch out for rabid animals. He also tells her to get their son's baseball bat from his gear bag down in the basement to use on any animal that might get in and act weird.
Sep 10, 2015 11:20 pm
"All over town or all over the state? Or even more widespread?"
Andrew starts get more worried as the phone rings and he waits to see if his fiancé picks up.
Sep 10, 2015 11:27 pm
Andrew:
After enough rings to put a slight panic in you you hear your fiancé pick up. "Oh my god, Andrew, baby, are you safe? Have you seen this stuff about the meteors? How far were they from you? They're getting weird reports of rabid animals. It's the starangest thing. Dad got bitten by some crazy dog out there earlier. I don't know if it's the same thing but we are going to the hospital when the advisory clears that the shower is over."
Sep 10, 2015 11:38 pm
"Oh Jesus, it's so good to hear your voice. I think some of the meteors hit right here in town, we were in the office when it happened. We're all mostly okay, Tim got bit by some rats that attacked us but we're going to get help now. I want you to stay with your parents and your brothers, and stay safe. I don't know what's happening but things are getting really weird. Tell Micah I'm counting on him to keep you guys safe. I love you, if my car is okay I'll head down there tomorrow at the latest, okay? I love you, I gotta go. Keep me posted about your dad."
Andrew hangs up and turns to the group.
"You're right, at least the animals are going crazy more than just here. My fiancés dad was attacked by a dog. I don't like this one bit... Let's see if John has made it to the security office yet."
Last edited September 10, 2015 11:40 pm
Sep 11, 2015 1:30 am
Howard tries to recall the location of a lever-like object (edit: failed - 4 is over my stats). Hearing the talk of rabid animals, Howard's overactive imagination kicks in again: "Rabid animals? Man, we've got to get you some medical attention!" He thinks for a moment. "What do you do to deal with rabid animals, anyway? All I remember is how they shot the dog in To Kill a Mockingbird...the security office won't let us take their guns, but we're going to have to go out there to get you to the hospital, Tim. What can we use to fend off rabid animal like dogs?"
Last edited September 11, 2015 1:35 am

Rolls

Roll to recall a lever in the office - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 11, 2015 1:31 am
PhantomNimbus sent a note to spaceseeker19
As you get to the security office you find John, he has already been playing with the radio and is fiddling with a dial on it still. He waves you over and you hear voices coming through. It's a bit garbled and hard to hear. Police seem to be spouting out radio codes.

"It's been like this since I turned it on. Just constant talk. I'm a bit rusty with my police codes but it sounds like there have been a lot of reports of animal attacks. A couple of reports of house collapses and fires. Sounds like a ton of activity going on down town where the meteors hit", he keeps fiddling with the dial to try another band. More voices and calls, then suddenly one comes in more panicked than the rest.

"Car 15 to station."

"Car 15 you are go for station. What's the situation down there?"

"I have an officer down, repeat, officer down. Erratically behaving individual attacked officer Davis."

"Sending an ambulance car 15. What is the status of the suspect."

"After attack I fired on suspect 10 times. He didn't go down. We had to fall back. Taser seemed ineffective. We are currently on the corner of Monroe and 6th Street."

"Say again car 15. Taser was ineffective? How many shots fired?"

"Station 10 shots fired. Taser was ineffective. He continued to charge and tried to bite at both of us. Davis is unconscious and losing lots of blood."

"Ambulance is in route car 15. Stand by."

The transmission cuts out a bit from the radio and other voices come through. More police codes. John looks at everyone, "What the hell is going on out there? What is with these animals?"
Sep 11, 2015 2:14 am
"John, we've gotta get the hell out of the city and we may need something to fend off these animals and...people...too. Come with us, is there anything in the security office we can use?" Kel exclaims, adding "We could use your expertise in emergency response situations." in hopes of convincing him to assist.
Sep 11, 2015 2:28 am
"Wait a minute, did they just say people are starting to bite? What the hell is going on?!" - Jacob is starting to panic a bit.
Sep 11, 2015 2:52 am
John looks at Kel, trying to work something out in his mind. After a minute of hemming and hawing he grabs a key off his key ring and goes to a small metal cabinet on the back wall of the security room. Upon opening that there is a small case. He looks over his shoulder for a second and then moves in front of the case, trying to block the combination portion. "This is supposed to only be used in very specific emergency situations. This technically isn't on the list, but I don't think they worried about meteor strikes when they wrote those rules."

He turns and you see a small silver pistol in his hand and a single ammunition clip. "We agree attacking animals and apparently people is a reasonable emergency, right?", he clicks the clip into place, chambers a round, and checks the safety is on. He clips the holster for it to his belt and holsters the weapon, "I've never actually fired this outside the firing range, but I'm a pretty good shot there at least. What is our plan of action?"

In this security office is a large wall of various monitors with cameras watching over various locations. Some are skewed and pointing at walls or the ground, but a few still work and one is showing the lobby to the building. The windows appear to have shattered in as well and two dogs are seen on the monitor slowly walking around in the lobby.

You also find a small first-aid kit and an emergency defibrillator unit. There is another mag-light flashlight, as well as some trail-mix and snacks that one of the security guys kept in a bottom desk drawer. You also find a few sharpie markers.
Sep 11, 2015 3:08 am
Let's hope you don't need to use that, John. I think we should make our way to the hospital, or at least the Quicky-Med. We gotta get Tim checked out."
Andrew grabs the first aid kit and quickly uses some of the disinfectant to clean his and Tim's wounds, then applies triple antibiotic ointment and tapes some gauze pads over them. He takes the flashlight and snacks and puts them in his bag.
Sep 11, 2015 3:30 am
John turns to the monitors. "The quickest way out is of course the front lobby. But these dogs have been hanging out in there since I got back up here. They aren't sniffing anything they just are wandering. I don't like it. Not after what I've been reading about this rabies stuff online."

He walks over to a basic map layout of the building and looks it over for a minute, "We could go back to the stairwell you came from, go down to the first floor, and try to find a broken open window to get out of. We should just do it quiet. I googled rabies and apparently sounds can trigger erratic behavior in rabid animals. What do you guys think? Do you have cars?"
Sep 11, 2015 3:37 am
Tim finishes bandaging his wound and tests pressure on it. "I think I'll live guys. It would be great to get to a Quicky-Med at least to have someone look at this. I don't know how long it takes rabies to set in but I know I'm going to need some shots."
Sep 11, 2015 4:29 am
"I definitely don't want to tussle with some rabid dogs. I think we should try to sneak our way out. I have a car in the front parking lot, presuming it hasn't been hit by a meteor yet. It's a Ford Focus, so it only fits 5 people, and that's a bit tightly."
Sep 11, 2015 10:33 am
"Sounds good to me...we need to see if our cars are ok, maybe we can drive Tim to the hospital and get outta here." Kel says as he looks around the rubble strewn floor for a table leg or any makeshift club.
Sep 11, 2015 11:55 am
Kel:
Among the debris you find a pretty basic metal rail. It's about an inch in diameter and maybe a foot and a half long. It broke off of something but you can't really tell what. Either way it should help hit whatever you need to hit.
Sep 11, 2015 1:16 pm
Kel shows the stick to the others."Hey, look around fellas" he mocks swinging the stick like a golf club "in case we find more rats".
Sep 11, 2015 3:09 pm
Howard looks with exasperation at Kel's luck at finding a bar immediately, sighs, and resumes his search for something he could use. While he searches, he berates himself for not thinking of checking the copy room earlier; he could've taken the blade arm off of the paper cutter.

(edit: to post as Howard)
Last edited September 11, 2015 3:10 pm
Sep 11, 2015 3:13 pm
Howard suddenly remembers the place of something that would do the trick. He walks over to the copy room on the floor, he has to push a desk out of the way to get to it but a few minutes later he emerges with an entire paper cutter with a blade arm. He tugs on the arm and with enough effort is able to pry it loose. It may not be great for leverage, but it will certainly hit things well.
Sep 11, 2015 4:13 pm
"I'd rather deal with the dogs than the rats... Either way, let's see if we can get to a car and get the hell out of here."
Last edited September 11, 2015 4:14 pm
Sep 11, 2015 4:13 pm
"And I thought gamers only abuse office photocopying privileges" Kel smiles slightly as he looks at the makeshift machete.
Sep 11, 2015 4:59 pm
"Yeah, I figure I'll reimburse Annette for this...so, let's go. We gotta get Tim those shots!"

Do the security monitors give us a view of the front parking lot? If so, does it look like any of the cars are in drivable condition?
Sep 11, 2015 5:02 pm
Unfortunately you remember that you parked across the street because you were using the building after hours. There are no cameras that face that way, but you do see the one for the front parking lot. It was knocked sideways by the shockwave that came through but it still shows an empty parking lot. You see shapes that, on the low res monitors, are hard to make out but it looks like a few people running this way and that further out by the street.
Sep 11, 2015 5:19 pm
"Let's get down to the main floor and over to our cars - roads could be really backed up..."
Sep 11, 2015 5:29 pm
Anxious to get moving Jacob blurts, "Let's go already!!"
Sep 11, 2015 5:48 pm
As you leave the security office with Tim and John you make your way back to the south stairwell and down to the first floor. Jacob and Andrew are able to find small metal club-like instruments like Kel. Howard has his cutter blade that is also about a foot and a half long.

Getting down to the first floor it looks like this floor is actually a little more intact and most cubicles are in place.

Immediately to your left as you exit the stairwell you see down one hallway that leads down towards the lobby. It turns so there is no direct door to the lobby, but the entire lobby is surrounded with glass walls that allow you to see into it. All of the glass walls still seem well intact, though you can see some scattered glass from the front windows of the building itself. You don't see the dogs.

In front of you is a wide hall that runs between two rows of cubicles. There doesn't seem to be anything around and a few cubicles down you see a busted out window. This would allow you to hop out onto the side of the building that has the street that you parked across from, so it should be a fairly easy jog over to the cars. The broken window is about 5 feet up off the ground, you should be able to climb over the cubicle and out the window.

As the stairwell door shuts behind you you hear a clicking sound from the hallway that would lead you out to the lobby. It's an evenly paced clicking sound. John quiets everyone with a hush and in another few seconds you see a golden retriever, man's best friend, round the corner, his nails clack on the tile floor. It stops to look at you, and is about 40 feet down this hallway. It doesn't growl or bark, but from here you can see it baring it's teeth.

[ GM: We will enter structured time now. Your team heard the dog first so you will all go first, taking one combat turn (moving, and then doing some sort of action, usually requiring a check), once you have all gone once the dog will go. You can choose whatever order you want to go on your team, so unless something is really timing sensitive you can just post your turn whenever. So far without any equipment or situation modifying dice you are at 1 positive and 1 negative for a dexterity test to try climbing out the window. ]
Sep 11, 2015 6:28 pm
"Guys, we will not be able to outrun this dog...c'mon" Kel says and races down the hall to beat the shit out of it before it has time to react.

Attack the Dog

DEX 2

Rolls

[+] One die + 1d6 for weapon - (2d6)

(45) = 9

[-] One die for stress, one for 'first kill' fears. - (2d6)

(55) = 10

Sep 11, 2015 6:39 pm
The thought of smashing a dog with a club doesn't sound all that appealing to Jacob but the dog's weird behavior and his own childhood memories of 'Fluffy' the neighbor dog quickly ease his conscience a bit.

"Right behind, Dex!

DEX 3

OOC: So that task succeeded and I take 1 stress on the DEX chart, yes?
Last edited September 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Rolls

Positive Rolls - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (1) = 1

Negative Rolls - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (3) = 3

Sep 11, 2015 6:45 pm
Kel runs up and swings at the dog. It barely responds physically to the attempt. At this distance Kel is the first one to notice the appearance of this golden retriever. Unlike most dogs who have hair and skin that covers their entire frame this one has loose flayed skin hanging off of it's sides and face. You actually see a large piece of flesh is gone from it's face. It has one missing eye at the top of the hole, and you can see down to it's skull along the side of it's face. It's teeth showing even when it is not baring it's teeth. At this distance it is hard to rationalize this as any normal form of rabies. This dog should not be living. It's golden fur is just spotted and caked with blood.

[ GM: Sorry, typed that wrong. You run up and miss the swing at the dog, and still take a point of physical stress. You still see the horrific thing and need to make a test with Willpower with 1 positive and 1 negative dice. ]
Sep 11, 2015 6:50 pm
As Jacob runs up he manages to get a hit on the dog. He scores a good thud against it's side but it doesn't yelp, move, or howl from the hit. He finally sees the state of this dog as well and tries to fight his every instinct to let out a shrill scream.

[ GM: Jacob hit the dog for 1 physical stress (the amount of successes after canceling) and gets an extra 1 stress against it for using his blunt weapon. He takes 1 stress from the engagement in his physical category and now has to as well make a Willpower saving throw of 1 negative and 1 positive to withstand the horror of this thing. ]
Sep 11, 2015 6:50 pm
"Oh..my god..." Kel has to pause for a moment to collect his thoughts but he manages to process what he sees.

(Willpower 3)
Last edited September 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Rolls

[+] - (1d6)

(1) = 1

[-] - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 11, 2015 6:54 pm
Kel manages to keep his outward composure, but mentally this image will haunt him.

[ GM: One mental stress, but you succeed at not showing your horror.
Sep 11, 2015 6:58 pm
"What in the hell is that thing!!"

WILL 2

Rolls

Positive - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Negative - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 11, 2015 7:00 pm
Jacob, after hitting the dog, seeing the state it is in, and the way it simply didn't even notice a hard hit from him starts screaming. He will definitely remember this image for a while.

[ GM: One mental stress and you definitely show your fear outwardly. ]
Sep 11, 2015 7:17 pm
"Oh, we could just climb out the...guys? Where are you...? No! Stay away from the rabid animals! Guys, get back here!" Howard starts down the aisle between cubicles toward the broken window. Is there a desk under it already? If not, he'll start to shift one, though he's nervous about that other dog. "John, you said there were two dogs in the lobby, right?"
Sep 11, 2015 7:21 pm
There is a cubicle with a desk already in front of the window, so you could climb up to it if you want to climb out. John does remind you there were two in the lobby before.

[ GM: If you want to climb out this turn you can attempt it with a dexterity test. It starts at 1 positive and 1 negative unless you can think of why there should be more positive. ]
Sep 11, 2015 8:32 pm
Howard climbs on the desk and peers out the window, gesturing to the others to join him. No one is with him yet, and he doesn't have a car here, so he's not going without anyone else.
Sep 11, 2015 8:35 pm
You peer out the window and you can see the parking lot across the road where the cars are. The street lights look like they are still on in this area. You see the occasional person running somewhere on the sidewalks, but out here it is closer to the edge of town so there aren't usually that many people anyway. You don't see anymore animals between here and there.
Sep 11, 2015 8:38 pm
Tim, already bitten once and not really wanting to get into it with the dog follows Howard over to the desk by the smashed open window. "Guys, c'mon, we have to get out of here.", he shouts. "Howard, what the hell are they doing?" He tries to climb up and out the window.

DEX 3

But he can't seem to get up and over the window.

Rolls

Positive Dice - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Negative Dice - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 11, 2015 8:47 pm
John, the security guard he is, knows he has to help out Kel and Jacob, so he charges in with his security baton and tries to hit the dog. His security training with small arms will be leveraged for extra force.

DEX 4

He hits the dog, hard, it buckles a bit from the blow but doesn't back down or seem to register the pain of the hit, just the force of it. In the scuffle John takes a good scratch from the wild dog's claw.

[ GM: John is small arms trained as a security officer so he will get an extra dice for using his baton or pistol in combat. This is seperate from the extra dice he gets for just having the weapon. (He is just more effective at using them). ]

[ GM2: Results, 3 successes against the dog (3 stress against it) plus 1 bonus stress from the melee weapon is 4 stress against it. I took two physical stress because of uncanceled negatives. ]

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, baton, small arms trained) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (4) = 4

Negative Dice (melee combat, first time hit) - (1d6, 1d6)

Sep 11, 2015 8:53 pm
[ GM: The dog has taken 6 of the 9 stress it can. It's taken some pretty good hits. Now that it has 2 filled levels of stress though, it can ignore two physical damage from the next hit. Much like you can ignore negative dice with your accumulated stress. ]

Andrew is the last to take a turn before the dog gets a turn.
Sep 11, 2015 8:57 pm
Andrew decides to help Tim climb up and out of the window, then gauge the situation and see if his help is required with the dog.
Sep 11, 2015 9:00 pm
[ GM: One more small error. Forgot these creatures have the "It Won't Die!" feature. So it always has +1 resistance, as though it was wearing some sort of armor. So it is already actually 2 damage less, which puts it at 4 out of 9 damage. Will that change your turn Andrew? ]
Sep 11, 2015 9:06 pm
(OOC: Nah, I feel like Andrew is far enough away that he doesn't quite realize what's up with the dog yet, so he still is first going to help Tim then as he goes over to see the combat it'll register that this isn't just a rabid dog.)
Sep 12, 2015 1:38 pm
The dog that is now fighting Kel, Jacob, and John will lash out at Kel to see if he can chomp on him.

DEX 3

[ GM: the dog has 3 positive dice. One default, plus two for its teeth as equipment. The teeth also grant +2 Damage. I would probably say two negative dice because it is surrounded, and it's a melee attack. ]

Edit: The dog deals 4 physical stress damage to Kel and recieves one itself, minus 1 for its It Won't Die feature. It's still at 4 of 9 stress.

It's back to your groups turn.

Rolls

Positive Dice - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

Sep 12, 2015 3:40 pm
Kel is going to try one more time to cave this thing's skull in.

DEX 2
(aiming for the head if that is allowed, I assume this is an additional negative die, if I am wrong, we can work it out post roll) Since I have one full level of physical stress, I get to ignore one left over negative die, correct?

Rolls

[+] One die + 1d6 for weapon - (1d6, 1d6)

[-] One die for stress, [-] aiming for head - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

Sep 12, 2015 4:01 pm
Jacob, stunned from the appearance of the dog, simply stands with his mouth agape.

OOC: I figured being too scared to do anything for one round kind of makes sense, yes?
Sep 13, 2015 5:44 am
Kel tries to swing down on the dog but after being hit his aim is off and he swings wide.

[ GM: Aiming for a specific body part like that would add a negative, but technically it doesn't kill them instantly if you do target the head. To actually instant kill one of these things though requires something other than aiming for the head. At least the rules in the guide book say so. Since you probably wouldn't figure it out on your own I'll go ahead and tell you, They have a feature called "Destroy the Brain". If you ever have doubles on non-cancelled positive dice in a roll, you will instantly kill one of these enemies no matter the stress level. Since you didn't know that I'll go ahead and let you drop one of the negative dice, and since you have a level of stress you can ignore the other non-cancelled negative dice. So you take 0 stress for the attack on the dog. ]
Sep 13, 2015 5:49 am
John drops his button and reaches for his pistol. He takes aim at the dog and fires a round. The noise, which few of you are accustomed to, is deafening in this hallway.

DEX 4

[ GM: The attack itself gives John 2 stress against the dog, plus 3 for the pistol, minus 1 for the dogs resistance, for 4 stress against it. Both negatives are cancelled so John takes none. The dog is now at 8 of 9 stress. ]

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, small arms trained, pistol, point blank range) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (5) = 5

Negative Dice (melee combat, first time shooting something living) - (1d6, 1d6)

Sep 13, 2015 6:00 am
Tim quickly tells Andrew and Howard to boost him up and out of the window. He will check if the coast is clear outside. (Clearly quite terrified)

DEX 3

Even with help from Andrew and Howard they still can't get him out the window. He manages to cut his hand a bit on broken glass that is sitting on the windowsill.

[ GM: Tim can't climb his way out of a wet paper bag. He manages to hurt himself in the process as well. ]

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, andrew assist, howard assist) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice (clearly terrified as hell, broken glass) - (1d6, 1d6)

Sep 13, 2015 8:05 am
As Tim nurses his new wound, Andrew quickly decides to clear the broken glass off the top of windowsill using his makeshift club, so nobody else can klutz their way into it.
Then, trying not to outwardly show his exasperation for Tim's inopportune bumbles, he nervously grips his club and watches from the door of the cubicle to see if his other companions can finish off the dogs or if things will take a turn for the worst. He starts slowly making his way towards the fray.
Sep 13, 2015 11:05 pm
Howard tries to bind Tim's sliced hand with...something. After rummaging in his gym bag, he pulls out one of his clean socks and ties it as tight as he can around Tim's gushing hand. "Wait...where are you going now, Andrew? We've got to get out of here, not mess around with diseased animals!"

(edit: italics for emphasis; Howard is exasperated not with Andrew, but with everyone playing with the sick dog instead of going to the hospital)
Last edited September 13, 2015 11:06 pm
Sep 14, 2015 5:06 am
As the group is split between trying to destroy this beast, and trying to escape without fighting it, the dog lunges once more, but this time at John.

DEX 3

As it lunges, however, John is able to bring the butt of his gun down on it's skull and an audible crack is heard as it caves in the thing's skull. It falls to the ground limp, it's teeth still showing through the hole in the side of it's face where the skin was torn away.

[ GM: The dog failed to get any hits, and took enough stress to kill it. It was at 8 of 9 stress, and took another two, though one was shaken off by the "It Won't Die" feature. Structured time is over so you are free to move about the forum again. ]

Rolls

Positive Dice - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Sep 14, 2015 5:20 pm
Kel is exhausted and hurt pretty bad by the encounter with the dog. "I need...a ... breather guys." He looks over at a cubicle decorated with flowers and pictures of family. There is a sweater draped over the empty chair. "Need a bandage, this will do" he says as he takes the sweater and tries to take care of himself.

The wound looks bad but he does his best. (Take 5, convert damage to 2nd state trauma).

"
Sep 14, 2015 7:39 pm
Howard, after finishing binding Tim's wound, will help Kel over to the cubicle.

(OOC: Did the dog make any noise at all while it was fighting? Where was Kel bitten?)

If Kel was bitten on the arm or hand, Howard will use his swiss army knife to cut the tail of the sweater off to use as a tourniquet and use the rest of it to make a sling. If on the leg, he'll cut off a sleeve to use as a tourniquet. There's no way to make a sweater stick to a wound without tape. He's also going to try to recall if there's a first aid station on this floor, where there might be bandages, or if they're just going to have to use Scotch or packing tape...this using a sock thing or holding a wadded sweater in place over a wound is for the birds.

Edit: "Now we really need to get to the hospital!"
Last edited September 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Rolls

Roll to recall location of bandages or tape - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 14, 2015 9:38 pm
"Let's get the hell out of here!"
Sep 14, 2015 10:06 pm
"Yes, lets"
Sep 15, 2015 12:29 am
(OOC: Andrew grabbed the first aid kit from the security office so that should still have gauze and tape, as well as triple antibiotic and/or disinfectant)
Yeah, we gotta be careful not to run into anymore of these animals. I know this sounds weird, but is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? That dog looks like it was dead before you guys fought it... That's not just rabies."
Sep 15, 2015 12:38 am
"Yes, it was full of holes" replied Kel, limping over to the broken window
Sep 15, 2015 12:58 am
"I agree, that was not rabies. We need to get you to a hospital, Kel. The bandage will do for now, but who knows what that thing was carrying", John says as he helps boost Tim and others up and out the window.

On the other side of the window it's an empty parking lot. You can see your cars across the road in the parking lot. John's sedan is in this parking lot.
Sep 15, 2015 1:03 am
On the way over to the parking lot, Kel texts his wife "Not just rabies - much worse - do not let any animals or people in. Lock the pugs in the their kennels if they are barking too loud"
Sep 15, 2015 2:03 am
With a wrapped up hand Tim follows everyone else to the cars, "Should we ride together or something? No offense Kel but with that wound I don't know if you are in any shape to drive, I'm not doing much better myself."

[ GM: Tim also used the 5 minute rest to convert his stress into a level 1 trauma of "Cut on Hand". It hopefully should not hinder him too much. ]
Sep 15, 2015 2:26 am
"I can take Kel in my car. My hockey equipment is in the back, so there's not a lot of room back there, but we can squeeze another back there.... Unless someone has a larger car?"
Sep 15, 2015 2:32 am
"I have a sedan, I should be able to fit 4 besides me. Jacob, you want to take Kel, I'll get Tim, Anthony, and Howard. We can come back for the other cars later after all this is over", John says, his limited amount of security guard training seems to be kicking into overdrive as he coordinates a plan.

"We can hop out here onto Larpenter and start heading south. It should take us straight to the hospital, but who knows where those impacts were. We may just want to stop at the first Quicky-Med", he continues.
Sep 15, 2015 11:14 am
"I can drive myself, and I'll follow you there."
Andrew throws his bag in the passenger seat and gets in his own car.
Sep 15, 2015 1:22 pm
Kel follows Jacob...
Sep 15, 2015 1:45 pm
"Howard, are you driving with me or taking your own car?", John says, "Either way we should stick close as we go through town."
Sep 15, 2015 2:52 pm
"Uh...yeah, I'm riding with you. My car's in the shop..."

Howard follows the group going with John to his car, looking uneasily around to spot the people and animals they saw running around on the security monitors earlier. He's awkward with the laptop bag slung across his shoulders, gym bag in his left hand and paper cutter blade in his right.
Sep 15, 2015 5:18 pm
As you all get to your cars John takes the lead heading down Larpenter Avenue through town. As you go you pass a few shops of note. There is an army surplus store, a few clothes shops, there is also that gun shop two blocks down, just across the road from the Quicky-Med. Some of you may have thought it was quite humors to see this on your drive in to work some days.

You have to swerve around a dog that is just standing right in the road. Not looking at you it just goes slowly down the road and towards a back alley. On the drive here your car radios are all playing the emergency broadcast system. It is simply telling you to stay inside and lock your doors.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to Dextolen
As you pull up into the Quicky-Med you see it looks pretty packed inside. The parking lot is a mess of people, but not many cars. The traffic has been pretty much non-existent this far away from the downtown area. There are people all over though. Some look like they have small cuts, bruises, and possibly bites on them. They are all heading into the store. Others are running out of the store with small items, water, bread. A few seem to have lifted items not necessary for survival.

Inside the place looks half like a hospital waiting room and half like a store being looted in a riot. Employees up front have resigned to the loss and are trying to help injured people as best as they can. There are only two doctors moving from person to person checking wounds.
Sep 15, 2015 5:40 pm
Kel limps over to the queue, comparing his injuries to those of others. "Guys, let me know if you are leaving - don't leave without me!"
Sep 15, 2015 5:51 pm
Eventually, after what feels like maybe 20 minutes to a half-hour one of the wandering doctors comes over. It's a woman maybe in her early 30s who looks entirely exhausted with this entire situation. "Hmm, looks like a decent laceration here", she says dryly as she looks over the wound. It has mostly gone to a dull throb but a few of her motions set off small amounts of pain again.

"I'm sorry for this, but we don't have a lot of time for patients, as you can see, was this animal inflicted?", she says as she unscrews the top to a bottle of rubbing alcohol and dumps it onto the wound. The sheer pain of it is incredibly intense. As she is still waiting for a response from you, despite the incredible pain that is now shooting through your wound again, she pulls out a small pack and breaks it open. Inside is a small hooked piece of metal with what looks like heavy black thread on the back.
Sep 15, 2015 6:52 pm
"....er.....yes....a dog..." Kel grits his teeth in preparation for what might come next...
Sep 15, 2015 7:01 pm
She starts sewing the wound closed. The pain is again excruciating, but at least the alcohol dulled the nerves a bit for this, "Seen a few of those tonight. On the plus side, it isn't rabies, if that is what you are thinking, on the down side we have no clue what it is. Infection is going to be your biggest worry. The state of the animals that has been doing this doesn't seem to be clean. Just keep the wound clean and you should live. Definitely get to the hospital when you can to follow up on this."

She produces a small bottle of something and puts a line of clear liquid over the now stitched wound, "This is medical glue, it should seal this wound and it holds up pretty well. Just be careful for at least the next half-hour", then she hands you a small bottle from her pocket, "Antibiotics to keep down infection, unfortunately we have no pain meds left. Take these for you and your friend there", she nods over towards Tim.

"Anything else?", she looks at you slightly impatiently already seeing a few more people with cuts walking into the store.
Sep 15, 2015 7:16 pm
Kel leans in "I'm no veterinarian, but the dog who did this was...dead. Well, it had sustained injuries that should have killed it. We'e seen stories on the news about people attacking others and being seemingly immune to police tasers and even guns. You are doing a good service here, just be careful. If someone is acting strange or violent, stay away from them and keep them away from the patients here. Tell your security guard."
Sep 15, 2015 8:17 pm
For the first time since she has started helping you she actually makes eye contact and seems to notice your existence as a person. "Okay, thanks. Between you and me we've heard some word from the hospital. All Quicky-Meds in the city are doing their best as small triage centers. They found out it wasn't rabies, but they have also reported attacks from people in their morgue. Strangest thing I've ever heard. I would get home and stay safe. I don't know what is really going on, but something is...happening."
Sep 15, 2015 8:22 pm
Getting kinda nervous waiting out in the parking lot, Andrew shoots Kelsey a text.
I know this sounds crazy, but this isn't rabies and it's looking more and more like zombies. and I'm NOT kidding. Be safe, keep me updated. I love you.
As he sets his phone down he starts giving paranoid looks to every person he can see in the parking lot.
Sep 15, 2015 8:26 pm
[ GM: Passing note to Starhelm ]
PhantomNimbus sent a note to Starhelm
Sep 15, 2015 9:24 pm
Kel would like to buy a bottle of water and a box of low carb diet nutrition bars if this place still has anything.
Sep 15, 2015 10:00 pm
Seeing how crowded and chaotic the place is, Howard stayed outside, pacing nervously near John and Andrew. "Pretty crazy, huh? I wonder if they're going to send in the National Guard." Can he see the glow of any fires, or just smell smoke in the air?
Sep 15, 2015 10:02 pm
*taps on steering wheel while waiting for Kel to get the hell back to the car*
Sep 16, 2015 3:43 am
Howard:
You can see fire and smoke still further south of you, closer to downtown. It looks like maybe 10 blocks south or so. There is definitely the smell of smoke starting to blanket the inner city and some of these slightly further out places.

Kel:
You are able to find a bottle of water and a box of bars, though there is really no longer a system of cashiers, since the start of this, and with the other rampant looting already starting to take place, the staff here have mostly given up on controlling that.

Jacob:
As you are waiting in the car for your friends to get back in you see what looks like a police officer coming north up Larpenter. He walks slowly and sort of shuffles. He looks like he is slumped off to one side as he walks. After another minute you see another cop limping after the first.
Sep 16, 2015 5:39 am
Andrew sends Kelsey one more text, I know this sounds rough but you need to get out of that hospital now, and sit tight somewhere safe and away from people, especially anyone who's been bitten. I'm gonna be on my way there very soon and we'll face this thing together.
"Guys, I think we need to check that gun store and the military surplus store for some better ways to defend ourselves... Hey are those cops? Why are they asking so weird... Oh no."
Last edited September 16, 2015 5:39 am
Sep 16, 2015 2:01 pm
Kel picks up the bars and water and casually walks out. He finds the car and gets in. He opens the box of bars and stuffs them into his pockets.
Sep 16, 2015 2:47 pm
Is the gun shop open? Is it being looted, too?

Having talked to John in the car ride over, Howard heard about the dog but remains skeptical, though the general atmosphere of panic has him nervous. Howard motions John over (if he's outside with us, rather than inside with Tim) and goes over to Andrew in his car. "Would you turn your headlights on those cops? I want to get a better look at them, see how they react..."

(edit: post as Howard)
Last edited September 16, 2015 2:48 pm
Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm
Andrew flicks on his high beams and also tries to get a better look.
Sep 16, 2015 8:02 pm
Eyeing the gun shop across the street you see it is closed and locked up. The metal shutters inside the entrance section and front windows are all shut and locked up. One of the front windows is broken in, but whoever was trying to get in gave up when they saw the metal shutters. The surplus store is closed as well and doesn't have the shutters. Both front windows have been busted out of that store.

As the lights of the car are flicked on it shines on the police walking up the street towards the Quicky-Med you see that their uniforms are covered in blood. They're just soaked in blood. The leg on the trailing cop is twisted in an entirely unnatural way. As the lead one looks up his mouth is covered in blood and parts of skin are ripped away. He opens his mouth and only a light raspy sound escapes.

If anything ever screamed "zombies" more in your life, it would be this. He is maybe 40 feet off still, the other one trailing it by maybe another 10 feet. Tim is just coming out of the Quicky-Med with a newly bandaged hand. He manages to stifle a scream and runs to the rest of you at the car. "Guys, we need to go or fight, or do something. Those are fuckin' zombies. I'm looking at real god damn zombies!"

[ GM: Howard, Andrew, and Tim all need to make willpower checks of 1 positive dice and 1 negative dice for this to see if you can not temporarily lose your mind. ]

Rolls

Tim's Positive - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Tim's Negative - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 16, 2015 8:34 pm
"Maybe we can ram one of the cars into the gun shop!" Kel blurts out, seeing the cops for what they are. He then looks down at his bandaged wounds. "Am I going to turn into one?" he thinks to himself.
Last edited September 16, 2015 8:35 pm
Sep 16, 2015 9:26 pm
Jacob watches as the shuffling police come forward when Tim starts to yell about Zombies. Although he was never a big fan of the genre, he knowns enough about the lore that he looks to his right and gives Kel a nervous smile.

"Feeling OK there, Buddy?"
Sep 16, 2015 10:34 pm
"Tim GET IN!" Andrew yells, "We're getting out of here!"

(OOC: if I fail my willpower I'm going to drive through the zombies if I make it I'm gonna navigate around them)

Rolls

Positive Willpower - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Negative Willpower - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 17, 2015 12:57 am
Howard flips out, realizing that what the others were telling them is true. He wanted to believe it was a practical joke in bad taste, but that...that's too real, and just not natural. He begins to gibber..."J-J-J-John...John! Where's John?? Where's my ride?? This is happening! Really happening!"

If he's still alive in a minute and Andrew hasn't driven away yet, he'll realize that maybe Andrew has room for Howard in his car.
Last edited September 17, 2015 1:00 am

Rolls

Willpower: positive - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Willpower: negative - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 17, 2015 2:05 am
Tim hops in Andrew's car with him, and Howard, despite the fact that all of them seem to be freaking out. As though a bought of temporary insanity hits the group Andrew pounds the petal to the metal and barrels his car into one of the cops and starts speeding down Larpenter heading south.

[ GM: Tim, Howard, and Andrew all take 1 point of mental stress. Andrew, since you are driving, roll a dexterity test. I will give you 5 positive dice (Default, Know how to drive standard, plus three for car). There is only one negative dice because this car is packed with people that are flipping the eff out. ]

Rolls

Negative Dice - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Positive Dice - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 17, 2015 2:16 am
John, seeing this happen runs over to Jacob and Kel, "Guys, we do need to do something, but if this is really happening, we need weapons. Not those sticks you have. We should hit the surplus store. Or try and get into the gun store. Are you guys with me?"

He waits for a response, looking like he is going to go to the gun store anyway.
Sep 17, 2015 2:26 am
Not wanting to get left behind as the others drive off Jacob goes to start his car when he sees John approaching. "Oh hell, almost forgot about John!"

Agreeing that things are a lot more serious than they all first suspected Jacob agrees to try and break into the gun store. Exiting the car he tells John, "I've never even fired a gun before, so you'll have to give me a quick and dirty lesson so I don't shoot myself in the foot."
Last edited September 17, 2015 2:26 am
Sep 17, 2015 2:44 am
"There will be time for that, but first we need to get some", he says, as he runs quickly across the road into a side alley along the gun shop. The cop zombies are now doing their best to shuffle after the car with Andrew, Tim, and Howard in it so your movements go unnoticed. He finds a side door and after trying it it is obviously locked. "Hang on", he says as he runs back to the road and disappears around the corner towards the surplus store. He arrives back after about 5 minutes with a camo colored backpack and a black crowbar in his hands.

"Our lucky day boys, give me a hand prying this door open. Just be ready, there is probably an alarm", he says as he jams the crowbar into the door gap.

DEX 4

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, kel assist, jacob assist, crowbar) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice (potential damage) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 17, 2015 2:46 am
The door pops open and a sudden sound starts piercing the night. A flashing light inside the store starts blinking as the alarm blares. John disappears inside the store with his bag in hand and starts to grab a few hand guns and what ammo he can fit in the bag.
Sep 17, 2015 3:05 am
Andrew grits his teeth as they barrel past the zombie cops.

DEX 3
Last edited September 17, 2015 3:08 am

Rolls

Positive - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Positive - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Posiive - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Positive - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Positive - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Negative - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 17, 2015 3:16 am
Kel joins John in the looting. He has fired rifles, shotguns and pistols in his past, so he's pretty knowledgeable about calibers and such and can grab the right ammo for the right weapon. What he's most worried about right now is a gun shop owner defending his store.
Sep 17, 2015 4:19 am
Andrew:
As fly past the zombies you manage to barrel right through both of them. You do 6 physical stress damage to both (out of 9). They are both heavily crippled and are now just crawling after the car as it speeds southbound down Larpenter.

Kel:
You find both a decent quality rifle, and a shotgun. There is also two 25 round boxes of shotgun shells. As well as a box of 12 rounds for the rifle. You also find a small caliber revolver and 20 bullets to go along with that.

John has collected 3 small caliber handguns and another 30 bullets to go with that. He starts to signal over the blaring sound and lights that it is time to go. He clicks a clip into one of the small caliber pistols and hands it to Jacob, he makes sure the safety is engaged before doing so.

[ GM: If you want to hand this stuff to John I can mark it on his character sheet, otherwise note all of that on yours and you can hand it off to someone else later. I'm going to say for simplicity sake the handguns hold a clip of 12 bullets. The revolver is a 6 shooter. The shotgun can do 8 rounds, and the rifle does 5. ]
Sep 17, 2015 5:34 am
After his heavy breathing gets a little more relaxed, Andrew slows the car a bit.
"What the.. What the... Okay guys. I think we did some serious damage to the zombies, but we gotta go back and check on the rest of the guys. I'm sorry I freaked out there a bit..."
He does a u-turn and slowly and cautiously starts driving back towards the rest of the party, keeping an eye out for more zombies.
Sep 17, 2015 10:36 am
Kel grabs it all and nods to John.. "Let's go!"
Sep 17, 2015 9:12 pm
Jacob stands outside of the door while the other do their looting. He trusts that John will grab him something that a newbie can use.
Sep 17, 2015 9:36 pm
Kel tucks the pistol into his game bag along with the other ammunition. He slings the rifle and carries the shotgun. He's ready to give up the rifle to one of the other guys when they get back together.
Sep 17, 2015 11:22 pm
As John, Kel, and Jacob leave the store Andrew, Tim, and Howard are coming back up the road. You all see each other, so at least the feeling of being separated is gone. The now heavily crippled zombies are still crawling towards the car but with only hands they can't move very quickly.

Just then a scream rings out coming from the Quicky-Med and you see people start quickly pouring out.
Sep 17, 2015 11:38 pm
"Do we go help or get the hell out?" Kel looks at John and Jacob.
Sep 18, 2015 12:05 am
Not to eager to put himself in harms way Jacob says, "Let's wait for the crowd to clear and then we can check it out. No use getting trampled."

"John, of the weapons you have, which is the easiest to use?"
Sep 18, 2015 12:40 am
"With that many people freaking out...I guarantee that all those injured people in there have turned... I think we should get out of here. We don't want to deal with more zombies and the people getting attacked in that crowd turning as well. You guys got guns, right?"
Sep 18, 2015 12:48 am
John hands Jacob a small caliber pistol, "Don't put your finger on the trigger unless you plan to shoot it. Line up the sights. Wide stance. Brace for the kick." After tossing his bag full of handguns to Andrew he looks back to Jacob, "And don't shoot yourself."

He pulls out his keys and hits the trunk release on his car. "Kel, maybe toss the bigger ones in here, we look conspicuous enough as it is", John says as he pulls his original pistol from its holster.
Sep 18, 2015 1:09 am
"Maybe you're right." Kel puts the rifle and the shotgun in the trunk. Taking the pistol out and keeping it tucked in his pocket.
Sep 18, 2015 1:33 am
John slams down the trunk lid and looks to the Quicky-Med. as the crowd itself trickles out two shambling forms come out. One appeared to have been an incredibly elderly man. He had a fairly deep wound in his arm. The other is a woman of about 28 who seems to have gotten a huge chunk taken out of her throat. She manages to grab on of the running people, a man, and sinks her teeth deep into the mans throat. His scream turns to a gargling sputter as he slumps unconscious, and then probably dead.

"Fight or run guys, we have to decide now", John says as he levels his pistol at the old man shambling out.

[ GM: If you choose to fight we enter structured time. ]
Sep 18, 2015 2:14 am
Still not eager to fight but not sure where to run Jacob stands to the right of John and tries to mimic his technique as he raises his pistol at the woman.

"What the hell am I doing!?"
Sep 18, 2015 2:23 am
John takes that as a signal and fires at the shambling old man.

DEX 4

But his shot flies wide.

[ GM: I'm taking that as a signal to start structured time. Your team clearly has the initiative in this one so go ahead with turns starting now. For those that choose to fire weapons, unless you have had previous gun experience your first shot will have an extra negative dice. That should give most people two negative dice, one for the situation, and one for lack of gun training. ]

Rolls

Postive Dice (default, pistol, small arms trained) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice (situation) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 18, 2015 2:27 am
Tim grabs the bag of guns John gave to Andrew and pulls a pistol out of it. He climbs out of the car and tries to fire, one armed, towards the zombies but the gun just clicks. He spends the rest of the turn trying to fumble with it to figure out why it won't work.
Sep 18, 2015 2:29 am
Following John's lead Jacob attempts to line up his shot and pulls the trigger.

DEX: 3

(Takes one stress. Should've given myself another + dice for all my Xbox experience. :-))
Last edited September 18, 2015 2:31 am

Rolls

Positive Dice [Default, Gun] - (1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice[Situation, First Time] - (1d6, 1d6)

Sep 18, 2015 2:37 am
Jacob fires on the woman who still has the man hanging limp in her grasp. The shot wings her in the shoulder and she drops the body.

[
GM: That is 4 stress against the woman, but she shakes one off for her It Wont Die feature. I may keep posting the healthbars, unless you would like me to hide the info and let you track it yourself. This game has a fairly set stress track feature.

Woman: 1[X][X][X] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
Old Man: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
]
Sep 18, 2015 4:42 am
(OOC: I do have small amounts of gun experience, mostly with rifles but my grandfather taught me how to handle a handgun as well)

Andrew arms himself and uses the open driver side window to stabilize his shaky arms. He tries to calm himself, and steadies his breathing as he lines up a shot at the woman, then slowly exhales as he gently squeezes the trigger.

DEX 3

Rolls

Positive - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Positive (gun) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Positive (steady aim via impromptu gun rest? If it's too much a stretch we'll ignore this haha) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Negative (situation) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 18, 2015 5:08 am
Andrew's shot hits the woman square in the upper torso, staggering her back about a foot, but she keeps her balance.

[ GM: That is the perfect opportunity for improvised ways to give yourself bonus positive dice. I'll keep the steady aim in there and the bit of gun experience negates your first time firing a gun dice. You did 5 stress, minus 1 because of her Wont Die feature. Remember, if you think there is a reason you should gain positive dice, always try and bring them up or leverage them. If it's realistic I'll probably give it to you.

Woman: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][X][X] 3[X][ ][ ]
Old Man: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
]
Sep 18, 2015 10:33 am
Kel, who had taken rifle and skeet shooting in college as his physical ed. credits, knew mostly of what to expect when he pulled the trigger on the pistol. What he had never done, however, is pointed one at a person - or what used to be a person. He remembered the dog from earlier, and looked down at what the shambling woman had just done to another person, and pulled the trigger.

Rolls

+ 2d6, default, pistol - (1d6, 1d6)

- 2d6 - Stress, first time shooting a person - (1d6, 1d6)

Sep 18, 2015 10:35 am
My dex is 2
Sep 18, 2015 11:41 am
As Kel pulls the trigger his bullet connects square in the middle of the woman's head. She instantly slumps to the ground. He sees what he has just done and throws up on the ground.

Howard is the last to react.

[ GM: Very reasonable negative dice. You did manage to finish off the woman, though you certainly didn't feel good about it. Also a reminder I never said it for the battle. Small handguns add +3 damage if you score a hit while using one. In case you were wondering where I get my numbers from. ]
Sep 18, 2015 3:15 pm
Howard, seeing everyone with guns, gets out of the car and looks around for one. In his panic, he's not really focused on the shamblers coming out of the store; he's still focused on the first zombies he's seen: the cop zombies. He's sort-of come to grips with the situation, somewhat by retreating into fantasy (vivid imagination feature). The cops would've had weapons, right?

He'll scan around to see the situation: is there a cop car nearby? Are the cop zombie crawlers near enough that he can jog over to them and either retrieve a sidearm or a set of keys for a patrol vehicle? He's working himself up to use his paper cutter blade on something animate...
Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm
Looking down the road the cops were coming from you see a cop car maybe a block and a half down (south of you). Looking at the streets you realize this may be the cops you heard earlier on the radio back in the office. You guess they may have something in their car. The cops, though heavily crippled, are still alive, but they seem to still have their belts on with holstered pistols, taser guns, handcuffs, batons. All the good stuff. The only other thing that occurs to you was that one of these cops was first attacked by an individual who bit the cop's partner.
Sep 18, 2015 3:51 pm
If the crawlers are nearby, Howard will jog over to them. and crack a joke as he swings at the closest. He's dimly aware that there're shamblers coming out of the store, but disinclined to go towards them through a fusillade of bullets. He will, though, if the old man zombie is close enough that Howard wouldn't have time to interact with the cops without getting grabbed by the old man. Either way, he's trying to use his Witty feature to bolster his courage and aim in this first time swinging a weapon with intent to kill an animate creature.

For the cop crawler:
"Well, officer, do you know why I pulled you over today?" Chop.

--OR--

For the old man zombie:
"Looks like you're off your meds!" Chop

(Edit: to post in character. Seriously, this is a constant problem for me. Sorry!)

If I'm reading that right, it's one success (the 1) and one failure (the unremoved failure die).
Last edited September 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Rolls

Positive die (attempting something) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Positive dice (long-blade weapon) - (2d6)

(12) = 3

Positive die (witty feature) - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Negative die (omnipresent chance of failure) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Negative die (first time chopping carnivorous undead) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 18, 2015 4:01 pm
Howard runs over to the closest downed police creature and brings the large blade of the cutter down square on it's skull. His witty line helps him bolster through the horrifying experience, or maybe completely delude himself to it, either way he kills the zombie, but wrenches his should just a bit in the process.

[ GM: That was read right, and the bladed weapon does +3 bonus damage on a hit. So you did 4 total, minus one for Wont Die. My guess is since John was just shooting at the old man zombie you chose the safer route of taking out the downed cop, instead of running in front of potentially more shooting. ]
Sep 18, 2015 4:07 pm
The other downed cop zombie starts to pull itself towards Howard, but he can't clear the distance in his short time. It's close enough that it could become a concern in a few more moments.

The old man zombie, with surprising mobility for how old and crippled he looks, makes his way to Tim as he continues to fumble with his pistol to find why it won't fire. It grabs on to him and tries to bite.

DEX 3

It gets hold and sinks it's teeth into Tim, though lucky for Tim the old man has no teeth. He does scratch up his arm pretty good though. It seems to have broken an ankle on the way over to Tim, but it is still in fighting form.

It's now your groups turn to take initiative.

[ GM: Only 2 stress to Tim, the old man is able to shake off the stress he would have gotten because he Wont Die. ]

Rolls

Positives (default, unrelenting feature) - (1d6, 1d6)

Negatives (Shambling negative feature) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 18, 2015 5:09 pm
Kel takes aim at the old man, waiting for Tim to get out of the way. (+1d6 positive for aiming a round?). "Get outta there, Tim!"

(OOC:How is the crowd reacting to our murdering of murderers?)
Sep 18, 2015 6:19 pm
Tim does his best to shove back the zombie that is scratching him up and gumming at his arm.

DEX 3

The thing has too much of a grip and the shove just ends up digging the nails of the old man deeper into his arm. It's remarkably strong for such an old man.

[ GM: Yes, I'll give you a bonus the next round if you steady your shot this round, or if you do like Andrew and steady on something you could even get it this round. For future rounds if you don't move, and just use what would be your movement to steady your aim, either just in a stance, or bracing against something, I'll give you the extra dice. However, since you are firing at something attached to your friend, you would get an extra negative dice. If you also miss a shot like that completely there is a chance you could hit Tim.

PS: There is pretty much no crowd left to react. They have all fled in terror from the zombies. If any of them saw guns or heard gunshots their attitude of running the eff away didn't change much. ]

Rolls

Postitive Dice (default) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Negative Dice (zombie already has a hold) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 18, 2015 6:21 pm
WIth a Dex of 2, I'll brace and then aim for next round. Can't kill Tim!
Sep 19, 2015 2:53 am
John runs over to Tim and attempts to pull the zombie off of him and throw it to the ground. With Tim flailing against the zombie himself there is a bit of assistance, "Get off of him", he shouts.

DEX 4

For such a frail old frame this old man will not let go of Tim.

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, tim assist) - (1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice (grappling the undead) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 19, 2015 4:36 am
Once again following John's lead, Jacob will run in after and try his hand at removing the Zombie that has Tim.

DEX 3

Rolls

Positive (default, assisting Tim, assisting John) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative (old man zombie) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 19, 2015 5:38 am
Bolstered by the confidence of strength in numbers, Andrew also rushes over and tries to extricate Tim from the tenacious grip of the old man zombie.

DEX 3
Last edited September 19, 2015 5:38 am

Rolls

Positive default - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Positive Tim assist - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Positive John assist - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Positive Jacob assist - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Positive Wrestling/Martial Arts background - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Negative default - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Negative first time actually in close hand to hand combat range with a zombie - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 19, 2015 5:47 am
With combined strength Tim is freed from the zombie and it is thrown roughly to the ground. You hear quite a few withered old bones snap as it hits the ground, but without even missing a beat it starts to rise again.

Howard is last to react, then the Old Man zombie will be able to get back up.

[ GM: The old man sustained quite a bit of stress from the combined throw of everyone. One is shaken off because of his Wont Die. Tim is free of the thing. Also Andrew, you can take one less stress. Technically there is never a default negative dice on a roll, the only roll you have default is one positive dice. Your only real negative is hand to hand with a zombie.

Old Man: 1 [X][X][X] 2 [ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
]
Sep 19, 2015 4:37 pm
If they didn't already know it, everyone is learning that Howard tries to use humor to cope with awkward (or, in this case, horrific) situations. He runs up, brandishing the blade, and says "Looks like you chose the wrong day to come out of retirement!" and do a heavy overhead chop to the decrepit zombie as it rises.

(Edit: assuming it's DEX, that's one success)
Last edited September 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Rolls

Positive dice (default + 2 for weapon) - (3d6)

(223) = 7

Negative (horror of undead) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Positive (witty feature) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 19, 2015 5:52 pm
Howard brings the blade down hard, saying one liners so well it's hard to tell if he is hating, or really enjoying this, he dances on the cusp of near delusional madness as he sinks the blade deep into the shoulder and neck of the old man. No pain registers on the old contorted face, but it is thrown off balance by the blow.

[ GM: actually that was two hits. One negative two only cancels one positive two. So you have a 3 and 2 left that both succeed. Plus 3 bonus damage from the bladed weapon. But minus one for old man zombie armor. So a net of 4 damage.

Old Man: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][X][X] 3[X][ ][ ]
]
Sep 19, 2015 8:22 pm
Is it on DEX? Howard's DEX is 2. I'm not complaining, just trying to make sure I understand...
Sep 20, 2015 3:12 am
Kel has a clear shot at the old man but Howard's bestiality shocks him. So he waits to see if the Sundries Admin will finish the job before he expends ammo.
Sep 20, 2015 3:45 am
The old man, relentless in his assault takes the blow from the cutter and keeps trying to claw out at Howard who is now right in his sights.

DEX 3

He claws at Howard's torso and gets a few good scratches in.

The remaining half-cop zombie starts crawling closer to the group. He is still about 2 rounds away from making it to anyone in particular.

Your team has initiative once again.

[ GM: Actually Howards Dex on his character sheet says 3. Also the old man does 1 stress of damage to Howard. Depending on how many levels of the physical stress track howard has filled now he could shake off the single damage. ]

Rolls

Positive Dice (default) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 20, 2015 4:37 pm
OOC: You're right about the DEX - I don't know what I was looking at. I'm reorganizing my character sheet to keep the stress counters and traumas together on the sheet, and also make the stats easier to read. In the meantime, though...

Caught between mania, horror, and despair, Howard seeks refuge in humor and action once again. "I said 'Say goodnight, Gracie!!' " and chop at the grasping old man again.

Two successes and a failure die remains.
Last edited September 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Rolls

Positive dice (default, 2 weapon, 1 witty) - (4d6)

(4243) = 13

Negative (flailing clawing zombie arms) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 20, 2015 5:49 pm
Howard brings his weapon down directly on top of the old man's skull this time. As the blade splits into the old man he suddenly slumps to the ground and moves no more. His perfectly timed joke lands with particular success.

One half-cop zombie remains.

[ GM: you can finish off the zombie, or break structure time and just try and flee. ]
Sep 20, 2015 8:06 pm
So far, Howard has three physical stress (counting the one from that last roll) and 2 mental stress. Let's see what else happens. Having just taken his third physical stress, that can be converted into a trauma if Howard gets the chance to rest, correct? Is it that the full 3 stress makes a character immune to single stresses of that type, or having a trauma gives that ability to shake it off?

Feeling like he contributed, Howard returns to the body of the first cop and forages for useful equipment: taser, keys, pistol, baton, flashlight - whatever he has on him. If the other crawler is too close for comfort, he'll confront it and quote from West Side Story "Officer Krupke, you're really a square!" (with the unintended implication that Howard is the "disturbed" person from the song) and chop again.

(Ouch: I hope he doesn't have to do that attack; he's throwing his shoulder out)
Last edited September 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Rolls

Positive dice for attack - (3d6)

(423) = 9

Witty positive die (if applicable) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Negative hissing slithering cop zombie die - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 22, 2015 3:55 am
Howard is able to scavange the dead officers handgun (12 bullets), taser gun (2 cartridges), handcuffs and keys, baton, flashlight, pepper spray canister. The other downed officer is still dragging the broken lower half of his torso and doesn't have the speed to catch Howard as he does this. No attack needed. John checks on Tim and the others and is able to finish off the half-cop with no resulting injuries. After this there is suddenly a calm over the scene.

In the distance you can hear some more faint screams. You can see a few blocks south of you fires rage through a few buildings. You have a few options as to the layout of this city. There is the hospital straight south of you. You could head west and try to get on the interstate out to the western suburbs. The coast is off to the west, along with the port for this city. There is also a big central mall between here and the hospital. The city also features a small zoo, and then various office buildings.

Quicky-Meds dot the landscape, you're generally never more than a few blocks from one.
Sep 22, 2015 9:40 am
"Guys...I mean, holy...!" Howard looks at the devastation all around them and tries to start again. "Guys, I know this sounds crazy - no it IS crazy - but I think we're not talking about rabies. I think we're full-on into a zombie apocalypse. I don't know what that means or what we should do, and I still think we should get you guys" (looking at Kel and Tim) "serious medical attention...but at the same time, I gotta wonder about what the hospital is like, if this happened at just a little Quicky-Med. What do you think? There's a lot of useful stuff at a hospital, even more so than at a little Quicky-Med, but there's also going to be more sick and hurt people..."
Sep 22, 2015 12:27 pm
"I'm starting to think the hospital is the last place we want to go!" Kel says as he looks at his wounds. "Now, if this is some "Walking Dead" shit, are Tim and I going to turn? I feel ok."
Sep 22, 2015 9:51 pm
"Zombies?!?!?" - Jacob can hardly believe he's starting to buy into this theory. "This isn't some dumb-ass zombie flick, this shit is real! Something's going on here, something that can explain all of this. There's got to be." He pauses for a second and looks around. "I just shot someone. What the HELL is going on!!!"

Collecting himself to the best of his ability while letting the entire horrible situation sink in he turns to the others. "Fucking zombies, I guess. Let's get the hell out of here, and I agree, stay the hell away from hospitals."
Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm
Wanting to get people to calm down and think, Kel says "OK, guys. This may sound silly but...we're geeks. Nerds - we fantasize about crazy crap like this every weekend - but we're smart...resourceful. We know that survival is more than a die roll but we've survived worse stuff in our games. Demons...angry gods... We have watched zombie flicks. Seen the mistakes people make. We need to act now - get food, supplies, get our families and prepare for the worst - but we've got to act NOW before all these other idiots do.
Sep 23, 2015 2:29 am
"I agree, the hospital now is literally just a zombie breeding ground. It's probably the most dangerous place we could go."
Andrew still hasn't gotten out of his car yet but he's leaning out the window, and frantically looking around at his companions.
"This isn't something we can 'beat', we've got to think about survival, for ourselves and our friends and families. We've got protection, but we need food and supplies. My family has a cabin up on Indian Lake, and we can hide out there once we get some stuff. It's a big, sturdy building: eight bedrooms and plenty of space for all of us. I've got to go get my fiancé in NY, but I'm not gonna ask or expect any of you to make that journey with me, and I'll set you up in my family's cabin before I go. You'll be safe there."
Sep 23, 2015 2:38 am
"Deal - ok, who's family is closest to the city? If this originated from the meteors, they are in the most danger"
Sep 23, 2015 3:52 am
John shrugs. "It's just me, I think Tim is in the same boat, right? Kel, don't you live out in the west suburbs?"

John goes about grabbing the bag of guns and taking them back from Tim and anyone who would rather not handle one at this time. He tosses it with the rifle and shotgun in his trunk. "Well, I still have room in my car for three. Four if we squeeze three in the back seat. I also know of a Rudy's Pump and Grocery that may be on the way."

[ GM: Being citizens of the city you know of the national chain Rudy's Pump and Grocery. It's a big box place that has been cutting into the Sam's Club and Costco markets. They also have gas pumps outside. Inside is bulk quantities of anything and everything you could think to find...within reason. ]
Sep 23, 2015 10:58 am
"My wife's car is a Jeep Commander. It can hold 7 and some gear..."
Sep 23, 2015 11:50 am
Tim, who has been trying his best to hold it together for a while now, is staring at the bandage around his leg, over the rat wound. "Are. Are we going to turn? Into those things? Kel?" He is visibly shaken and on the verge of tears. "How...how do we know if or when we will turn?", he absentmindedly rubs the other bandage on his arm.
Sep 23, 2015 12:13 pm
"I'm trying not to think about it. For now, lets just take care of it like a normal wound. I'm sure these guys will know what to do if we...Let's just get going - Let's hit that market."
Sep 23, 2015 3:21 pm
Howard thinks wistfully of his (ex) wife and kids, and how they moved away after the divorce and cut off all contact with him. He thinks of Annette, the VP of operations with whom he had the affair that ended his marriage, and flashes back to their last private conversation:

Snuggling in the afterglow, they lay together in her bed. His worries and regrets momentarily forgotten, Howard caressed her neck. "I wonder if anyone else in the office even suspects..." He felt Annette stiffen. "I hope not."

He chuckled. "Would it be such a bad thing? I'm proud to know you, proud to love you."

She rolled away and started to get dressed again. "Haven't you learned from your divorce? We can't let anyone know about us." He looked at her, pained. All of his emotions were wrapped up in this woman, and it was hard to think that she wasn't, somehow, rejecting him. "We could both lose our jobs, Howard! There's so many violations of business ethics here...until you get that transfer to another office, we can't go public with our relationship. Tell me you understand, Howard!" He'd agreed, and she'd kissed him again. "Love you. I'm glad you understand; it's gotta be secret so that we can stay together until your transfer goes through and I'm not your boss' boss anymore. Then we can admit our relationship without violating any serious business ethics. I want to be open with you, but we can't keep on the way we have been. That time in the Maintenance closet...! That's why...that's why I think we need to take a break, until you get that transfer. It's just too tough to keep it a secret." He stared at her in shock; was she also trying to get rid of him?? "Just until your transfer is complete. You said it'd go through by the end of the month, right?" He nodded, unable to speak. "I can't wait...but I'm going to have to."

That was two nights ago, and Howard is torn: he desperately wants to see Annette, and make sure that she's OK, and yet he still feels some reluctance to admit to the rest of the group that he's been having an affair with their manager. But her apartment is so close...He tries again to text Annette on the sly: "Where R U? Home? R U OK?"

Then, to keep himself busy while he tries to decide whether to get the group to go to Annette's apartment two blocks away, he makes sure to check the other dead cop for its gear.
Last edited September 23, 2015 3:23 pm
Sep 23, 2015 3:41 pm
Kel notices Howard's far away expression. "Hey, man...what's up?" he says as he reloads the one spent round from his revolver.
Sep 23, 2015 3:54 pm
John starts getting into his car. "We are going to have to move soon. If anymore of those things are around, they may have been drawn by that sound. Where are we going?"
Sep 23, 2015 4:08 pm
*I gotta keep it a secret. But this could be the end of everything. Apocalypse! I've got to get her, if I can...*

"Uh...my girlfriend lives just a couple blocks from here. I've gotta see if I can get her! I just got a text and she's OK so far..."

spaceseeker19 sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Sep 23, 2015 4:45 pm
"Makes sense to get her and hit the P n G for supplies" Kel says as he buckles into John's car.
Sep 23, 2015 11:03 pm
Jacob heads over towards his car. "I'll follow you guys. I have no family around here and no real place to go. Let's scope out the PnG and gear up!"
Sep 24, 2015 5:44 pm
Tim climbs in John's car as well, "Yeah, let's move, I don't like being here much longer."

[ GM: So John is driving a car with Tim and Kel. Where is everyone else in the cars? ]
Sep 24, 2015 9:34 pm
Jacob is alone in his car (to this point) and will follow John.
Sep 25, 2015 11:32 am
OOC: Andrew is driving his car (he would have accepted passengers as necessary) and is also following John.
Sep 25, 2015 3:30 pm
Even though John was leading this, I think Howard gets back into Andrew's car, given that was his ride so far. He's dumped all the cops' gear in there, too. Was he able to get either cop's belt & holster for all this stuff?
Sep 27, 2015 5:11 am
Howard:
You got the dead officers handgun (12 bullets), taser gun (2 cartridges), handcuffs and keys, baton, flashlight, pepper spray canister. You probably grabbed the belt and holster if you wanted it.

As you pile into your cars John let's Howard lead the way since he doesn't know the way. Looking back on the scene of carnage at this Quicky-Med you see the man who had his throat removed by the female zombie suddenly start to move and jerk on the ground. He rises to his feet as you drive away. As you traverse the few blocks the streets this way are eerily quiet. You are now heading west towards the suburbs.

Most stores are still locked up and closed this late in the night. A few small electronics shops are broken open, one has an alarm blaring as you pass by. Another block or so down you stop in front of a fairly mundane looking apartment building. Plain red brick going up 4 stories. A small alley on either side of the building.

There is a fire-escape up the one side of the building, but the ladder isn't down to reach it. The entrance to the building is normally security controlled, but it looks like the front entrance glass has been shattered through. Blood rims the glass and is splattered around the entrance hall.
Sep 27, 2015 8:09 pm
"What do you think, Andrew? I think maybe we should park a bit back from the building. It doesn't look like much is happening right now, but I don't want us all to get mobbed if there's a bunch waiting for me in the lobby...that way, the headlights will provide more light, too. I don't have darkvision!"

Howard is alarmed to see that something smashed open the security glass - he didn't think zombies used tools - but then he reassures himself that it was probably the quake from the meteor impact. He sits in the car for a moment and texts Annette again.
spaceseeker19 sent a note to PhantomNimbus
He then considers if a tonfa/nightstick he got off of the cop zombie would be long enough to hook the bottom of the fire escape to pull it down...
Last edited September 27, 2015 8:12 pm
Sep 27, 2015 9:19 pm
Kel goes to the trunk and gets the shotgun which he loaded with shells earlier. "I got your back Howard" he says, making the racking noise with his mouth ...."I loaded it already, that would have ejected a good shell"
Sep 27, 2015 10:03 pm
Jacob pulls in behind the others and sees Kel grab a shotgun. Getting out of the car he walks over towards him and asks "What's the plan?"
Sep 27, 2015 11:24 pm
Kel looks to Howard.."Howie, which unit is she in? Has she responded to your texts?" and over to Jacob "We cover him (pointing to Howard) as he takes us to his girl's apartment. Only shoot when we have no other choice, we don't know if sound gets their attention or what."
Sep 27, 2015 11:50 pm
Her unit, Howard relays. Is up on the third floor.
Sep 28, 2015 12:35 am
"Alright. Whenever you guys are ready!"
Sep 28, 2015 1:24 am
"I've just sent her a text to come to the window; the last text I got from her was maybe ten minutes ago. But I don't like the look of that lobby - what do you think about trying the fire escape?"

(OOC: just like in the rules introduction...)
Sep 28, 2015 1:40 am
You see a face emerge in a window up on the third floor on the front of the building. She opens the window and looks out seeing Howard. "Help. Hurry. Someone's trying to get in!", she screams out the window.
Sep 28, 2015 2:35 am
"Howard, see if you can get her to come out on the fire escape!"
Sep 28, 2015 5:08 am
Howard yells back: "Come on down the fire escape! I'll meet you at the bottom!" Then he turns to the others and says "Well, if there's any nearby and they're attracted to sound, we'll know it pretty quick. Watch that lobby!"

Howard trots off, one hand on the butt of the pistol in its holster, the other holding the tonfa, still hoping that he'll be able to jump and hook the bottom of the ladder to pull it down. His jogging makes his knees twinge.

*We survive tonight, I'm definitely going on a diet and starting some exercise..."
Sep 28, 2015 5:27 am
Andrew nervously checks over his handgun and makes sure everything is in order, then follows Howard down the alley towards the fire escape.

OOC: is there an outlet on the other side of this alley or is it a *DEAD END* (ha)
Sep 28, 2015 6:05 am
As you get down the alley you see the end of it is blocked. The only exit is the way you came here.

"You want me to WHAT?!", she screams back down, "Howard, why can't you just come up and get me out. I'm not climbing down this rickety thing."

Despite all this noise, so far you don't hear or see anything around. The streets here are eerily quiet. In the distance sirens and shouts have been background noise. You can still see the glow of fires in the sky from further south. A small explosion rings out in the distance. It must have been pretty far, it just sounded like thunder to you.

[ GM: Howard, if you want to pull down the fire escape you need to do a Dexterity test. I would call it 2 positive dice, one negative. The negative is in the event you somehow hurt yourself trying to do this. Also, if you want to convince this girl to get out onto the fire escape that is a Charisma test. It's a test of 4 positive dice, but you need two successes. No negative dice on the charisma test. ]
Sep 28, 2015 7:35 am
Howard grits his teeth in frustration and fear, then takes a deep breath as he prepares to jump.
*OK, she probably doesn't know what's going on, just that "someone" is banging on her door...*
Doing his best to keep his voice calm (he twitches at the sound of the explosion), he calls up to her:
"OK, it's OK, baby. I'm gonna come up and get you and help you down. I know you can do it. You run that whole office; this is nothing. You can do anything!" (Charisma is 3, so that's one success)

Then he jumps for the fire escape. (Dexterity is 3, 4s cancel, so that's another one success. I lead a charmed life!)
Last edited September 28, 2015 7:37 am

Rolls

Charisma check, positive (convince boss/lover to climb out the window) - (4d6)

(6663) = 21

Dexterity positive (jump to grab fire escape) - (2d6)

(41) = 5

Dexterity negative (jumping with bad knees) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 28, 2015 10:23 am
Kel keeps an eye on the entrance....shotgun in hand...
Sep 30, 2015 4:06 am
The woman takes a moment and looks like she is about to climb out, but doesn't, "I... I can't. It's too high up. Please. Howard. I need your help."

As you jump up you catch the bottom of the ladder and it clatters down to your level. The sound of it echoes down the alley.

"Howard! I can hear them at the door. I think someone's trying to break it down.", she shouts down nervously.
Sep 30, 2015 4:13 am
John has taken his pistol and is on the corner of the alley watching out into the street. As the ladder hits down and the sound rings out he gives Howard a look of disapproval. He sees two medium sized shapes on the east end of the street. They seem to be wandering aimlessly, but the shape is familiar.

"Psst. Guys. looks like we have two more animals inbound", he notes as quietly as he can. He signals everyone street side to get down behind something. Tim runs into the alley behind John.
Sep 30, 2015 7:22 am
Howard climbs the ladder and then continues up the stairs two at a time.

(Is that a roll, to climb the ladder? One positive, one negative?)
Sep 30, 2015 11:56 am
As Howard bolts up the ladder and the stairs he finds himself outside Annette's window. She climbs onto the fire escape and wraps her arms tightly around him. "Thank god you're alright, I was... I...", she trails off as she buries her face in his chest and starts to cry.

John keeps an eye on the shapes coming down the road slowly towards you. He can't quite make out the shape just yet. "We have to go soon. Or we are going to be trapped down this alley.", he whispers to Tim, Kel, and Jacob.

[ GM: Nah, I'll give you the ladder climb. Also where is Andrew in all of this? ]
Sep 30, 2015 12:17 pm
OOC: Andrew would be near/watching the opening of the alley to make sure no zombies come sneaking up on us while this is all happening, and scanning any ground floor windows or doors for threats as well.
Last edited September 30, 2015 12:19 pm
Sep 30, 2015 12:55 pm
Kel grips the shotgun tightly, ready to make for the car when the time is right. He plans on covering the group's retreat as they move
Sep 30, 2015 4:04 pm
"Annette, I'm here now." Howard holds on to her, relieved that she's OK...for the moment.

Then he smooths her hair back from her face and looks her in the eyes. "But we've got to get out of here now. Follow me!" He gives her a kiss, and then leads her by the hand quickly down the stairs to the second floor landing. Then he'll scan the alleyway to see if the coast is clear (or at least clear long enough for them to descend) before he starts down the ladder.
Sep 30, 2015 4:18 pm
Howard:
As you and Annette leave out the window of her apartment you hear the front door break and splinter open. As you round down to the second floor landing on the fire escape you look up and see a human shape crawling out of the window above. You climb down the ladder and as Annette is climbing down you hear a loud thud next to you. Some warm liquid hits your face as you look over and find that the person that was on the fire escape above is now on the ground next to you. It slowly starts to move to get up.

Kel, Andrew, Jacob:
As you are watching the small animal shapes down the road you hear a loud thud down the alley. You look back and see a person on the ground slowly getting back up, Howard standing near it, and Annette on the ladder climbing down. You look back up the road and the two animal shapes are now moving towards you. As they get slightly closer you can see it is two very large racoons. One looks like it has a tire mark down the middle of it, it's back half is dragging as it moves.

[ GM: Let's enter structured time. I'll let you guys go first. The zombie in the alley is close enough to anyone for them to get to it and attack it. The raccoons are currently too far away. Maybe 70-80 feet. (And a character can only generally move about 20 feet in a combat round unless they sprint). Let me know if you want clarification on any part of the scene or layout of things. ]
Sep 30, 2015 4:30 pm
I'd like Howard to draw the pistol and shoot the thing as it rises. What are my rolls for that?
Sep 30, 2015 4:56 pm
As the zombie tries to rise howard draws his pistol and fires a point-blank shot at the zombie.

[ GM: The pistol adds a positive dice, as does firing at point blank range. Plus your default. So that is 3 positives. There would be one negative just because of inherent difficulty of task, and you are protecting Annette. So only 1 negative.

If you hit with the pistol you do an additional +3 damage on top of your total success count.

Here is healthbars:
Zombie: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
Racoon 1: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ]
Racoon 2: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ]

(I brought the racoons down because they could probably take less damage than a human body.)
]
Sep 30, 2015 5:14 pm
Howard jumps in surprise at the body splatting beside him. Then, as it rises, he gets over his surprise, draws the pistol from its holster, and fires at the undead thing at point blank range.

Hmm. Unless that's a check against empathy, Howard completely missed.

Crap.
Last edited September 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Rolls

Firing gun (weapon, point blank, base die) - (3d6)

(445) = 13

Negative die (stress of horror) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 30, 2015 5:30 pm
Kelly rushes over and puts the shotgun into the face of the rising zombie.

DEX 2

Rolls

[+] 1 Die for weapon, 1 die for point blank, 1 default - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

[-] Aiming for head - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 30, 2015 6:05 pm
Despite the slow nature of the zombie both Kel and Howard's shots miss hitting the zombie as it tries to rise.
Sep 30, 2015 10:08 pm
Seeing the others rush the zombie in the alley Jacob will turn his attention to raccoons. He pulls out his pistol and tries to get into the stance like John has taught him. Picking a target he pulls the trigger and hopes for the best.

DEX: 3

So, looks like a hit and a stress.
Last edited September 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Rolls

Positive Die [Default, Gun] - (1d6, 1d6)

Negative Die [Small Target] - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 30, 2015 11:34 pm
Jacob hits one of the raccoons. The shot doesn't seem to phase it, but it does stagger it's progress slightly.

[ GM: That is indeed a hit and a stress. Plus the pistol adds +3 damage to the hit, minus 1 for zombie raccoon armor. So 3 total.

Raccoon 1: 1[X][X][X] 2[ ][ ][ ]
Raccoon 2: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ]
]
Oct 1, 2015 2:47 am
John takes aim at the raccoon that Jacob didn't hit.

Dex 4

The bullet hits the raccoon and staggers it as well. it continues it's pursuit.

[ GM: 5 total damage to the raccoon, minus one for undead armor. ]

Enemies:
Raccoon 2: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][ ][ ]

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, pistol, small arms trained) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice (shot difficulty) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Oct 1, 2015 10:32 am
Andrew is breathing heavily and trying to maintain his calm as the gunfire erupts all around him and the arrival of the zombies reminds him of the seriousness of the situation in which they all find themselves. He carefully positions himself to have a clear shot at the zombie that is rising to meet Howard and aims for it's head with the handgun.

Rolls

Positive dice (base, gun, familiarity with handguns) - (3d6)

(323) = 8

Negative die (aimed headshot) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Oct 1, 2015 11:40 am
As Andrew pulls the trigger the head of the zombie erupts and the creature falls. Dead. Or dead again as it were.

[ GM: I'll let you in on a secret guys. These zombies have a trait called "Destroying the brain". If there are ever successful doubles on uncancelled dice the brain of the creature is instantly destroyed and the creature doesn't move anymore. It's an instant kill. All that remains are two zombiecoons coming at you. ]

Tim, not being very averse to this combat stuff cowers back down the alleyway towards the closed off end, looking for anyway out other than the street with those things.

The raccoons shamble closer by about 20 feet. They could be upon you in the next turn.

Healthbars:
Raccoon 2: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][ ][ ]
Oct 1, 2015 11:41 am
(Not sure if the zombies have a turn before me....If so, assume I did this afterward).

Kel fires at a raccoon

DEX 2 (edit to add)
Last edited October 1, 2015 11:42 am

Rolls

[+] One die + 1d6 for weapon +1d6 for pt. blank - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

[-] Aiming for head - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Oct 1, 2015 4:26 pm
As it stands Kel was by the downed Zombie, and seeing that Andrew has stopped this thing he passes Tim, who was running away from the street, and runs back out of the alley towards the raccoons. He won't be able to get close enough for a point blank shot, but he still catches one of them with a blast from his shotgun. The shot catches one of the raccoons square and kills it.

[ GM: The raccoons were still a ways out in the street and haven't been able to make it to the alley yet, so you wouldn't be able to get close enough for point blank shot, which removes the last roll in your dice pool. So you still take one physical stress from the action, but you do also take one of them out. The shotgun adds +4 damage if you hit with it though, so you did a total of 5 damage, minus one for zombie racoon armor still kills one. Only one raccoon remains. ]

Healthbars:
Racoon 2: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][ ][ ]
Oct 1, 2015 8:19 pm
The remaining raccoon is closing on the party? Does it get another action before it's the players' turn? How far are we from the cars?
Oct 2, 2015 2:16 am
The coons started about 70 feet away down the road. A creature, or enemy, or person in the game can move up to 20 feet on their turn, unless they dedicate a vitality test to sprinting. So since they have just moved they are now about 50 feet away from the alley still. One has been taken down by Kel who is probably the closest to them. You are all either in this alley or in the entrance to it. The cars are right on the other side of the street because I believe you wanted a bit of distance to the building when you pulled up, so maybe just 10-15 feet from most of you now.

The zombies moved for their turn so they don't get another. It is the players turn now. Kel did something first this round, and killed one of the raccoons. Tim was the last of your group to go and he ran further into the alley way looking pretty skittish. Trying to find a way out, or just away from the creatures and gunfire.
Oct 3, 2015 4:27 pm
Howard helps Annette the rest of the way down the ladder, wraps her in a one-armed hug, and kisses her again. He tries to ignore any staring of disbelief from the others when he sees that his girlfriend is the boss.

"Okay, let's get to the cars and get to the P&G!"
Oct 3, 2015 4:36 pm
"Sounds like a good idea to me."

Before returning to his car Jacob sites his pistol on the one remaining raccoon but at the last second lowers the weapon. "Better off just running the thing through."

Getting into his car he yells to the others, "Ready when you are."
Oct 3, 2015 5:02 pm
Kel nods and gets to the cars
Oct 4, 2015 4:16 am
John follows closely behind Kel, Jacob, and Howard. "Tim, Andrew, c'mon, we're leaving!", he shouts back as he gets to his car and hops in.
Oct 4, 2015 4:17 am
Tim is finally starting to lose it. He has been searching at the closed end of the alley for another way out, or somewhere safe. Not finding it he turns to head back to the car. He stops when he sees something he remembers in the alley in front of him now.
Oct 4, 2015 4:24 am
As the rest of the crew is getting to and in the cars they hear a blood curdling scream from the alley. As you look back you see Tim, he is on the ground and has small black things crawling all over his legs. What had originally looked like a large black garbage bag disintegrates into these small shapes. You finally realize what it is. Rats.

He is on the ground and the mass of them surges forward consuming half of his body underneath them. He struggles to knock them away but they just claw and clamp onto his arms as he swats. Tim's screams are almost drowned out by this horrible chittering sound coming from the swarm of these rats.
Oct 4, 2015 4:27 pm
"Tim! NOOO!"
Oct 4, 2015 4:56 pm
Jacob jumps out of his car. "What do we do? We've got to help him!" He runs towards Tim but quickly stops when he see the mass of rats slowly engulfing his friend.

"If he's not going to make it, we can at least see to it that he doesn't suffer!" Jacob yells as he levels his pistol in his friend's direction. He steadies himself, takes aim, but is unable to pull the trigger.
Oct 4, 2015 5:13 pm
"There's nothing we can..." Kel can't finish his sentence..fear is beginning to overwhelm him.

Willpower 3

Rolls

[+] Has seen some crazy stuff today - (1d6)

(4) = 4

[-] Watching a coworker being eaten - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Oct 5, 2015 3:08 am
The rat frenzy lasts only about 40 seconds before Tim's screams die out, though for some it felt like an eternity. Where he once laid on the ground there is only now a mass of writhing rats, all the while making that horrible chittering sound. Annette is burying her face in Howard's back trying to hide the sight.

Most of you are in and around the cars and the zombie raccoon is still staggering his way towards you. Though this is the roadkill one so it's back half is just dragging along. It's progress is rather slow.
Oct 6, 2015 5:29 am
Andrew is fighting back tears as he gets into his car and starts the ignition.
"Let's just... Let's just get the hell out of here."
Oct 6, 2015 5:39 pm
As you pull away the raccoon continues it's chase but is soon left behind in the dust. As you head another 3 blocks east, and 2 south to get to the P & G you come across more people. These ones are all looting the P & G. There is just a crowd that is in a frenzy in front of the store, all the front windows are smashed out. There is an overturned car further out in the parking lot that is completely engulfed in fire.
Oct 6, 2015 7:30 pm
"OK, supermarket sweep time. We should have two guys as security while the others fill up a cart with whatever non-perishables that are left."
Oct 7, 2015 5:54 am
"Oh, man, what are we gonna do? We need fire or something like it to take care of ... rats... poor Tim... Our guns are gonna be useless against small things that swarm like that." Howard looks at the angry mob. "That looks pretty bad, guys."

What sort of a check should I do to identify if there are zombies in the crowd?
Oct 7, 2015 11:37 am
"Maybe Molotov cocktails? Aerosol flamethrowers?" Kel grabs the shotgun again, reloading it.
Oct 7, 2015 10:17 pm
"Do we have any more guns? I don't think this pistol of mine is going to cut it. Barely hurt the damned raccoon!" Jacobs says as he holds the pistol in front of him.

Smiling a bit he asks, "Have either of you made your own napalm before? Mixing those styrofoam cups with gasoline makes a nice flammable gel. Dangerous but it would burn forever. If we make a run into this place might want to see if we can find some of them cups."
Oct 8, 2015 2:24 am
Howard:
Make a Logic test. You will get 2 positive dice. One default, and one because you've seen the behavior of enough undead things to be able to recognize them. I won't require any negative dice because it's going to be simple enough if you actually spot any.
Oct 8, 2015 5:22 am
Howard peers at the mob, trying to tell which, if any, of them are undead.

Howard's LOGIC is 2, so he has one success!
Last edited October 8, 2015 5:24 am

Rolls

check to discern zombies - (2d6)

(41) = 5

Oct 8, 2015 12:19 pm
Scanning the crowd you look for unusual movements, individuals in scuffles of any sort, and even animals acting in a strange way. You don't currently see any of that. Just people of all walks who look generally confused and terrified. There also don't seem to be any bodies on the ground anywhere nearby the store.
Oct 8, 2015 1:28 pm
"Let's get in and out, quick!"
Oct 8, 2015 6:14 pm
As you are watching the activity you see people kind of flooding in and out of the front of the building. Many of you do know there are a few back doors and receiving bays at the back of the store as well. Certainly it shouldn't be too hard for you to find what you need in here as well. It's mostly just going to be the task of navigating the crowd and getting back out.

[ GM: Do we have a plan of attack with what we want to do here? ]
Oct 8, 2015 10:06 pm
"You know what would clear out this crowd? Some zombies!" Jacob smiles as he's convinced he's come up with the 'best plan eva'.

"Two of us could fake like zombies and walk towards the crowd with the others yelling 'Get Away! We got this!' swinging your guns around and what not."

Looking over to Howard, "How's your zombie walk?"
Oct 8, 2015 10:19 pm
Kel thinks about going around back but decides that there is a 100% greater chance for zombie rats back in the alley.
Oct 8, 2015 11:11 pm
Howard almost laughs at Jacob's idea; pretending to be zombies is pretty funny, but the horror of Tim's death is still too fresh. "I like it!" Then he reconsiders. "No, wait...if they haven't seen any zombies yet, they won't take us shouting 'Look out - zombies!' seriously. If they have seen zombies, they might have guns. I don't want any of us shot because we're pretending to be zombies..." Howard looks uneasily at the burning car. "...Here's a counter-suggestion: what about we have a couple of us guard the cars and the rest of us go in for supplies while showing our guns, so people know that we're armed and they won't start anything with us? What do you think?"
Last edited October 8, 2015 11:12 pm
Oct 9, 2015 12:02 am
"I wasn't really serious about that anyway!" Jacob says, trying to hide his disappointment. "I can stay with the cars if you guys want to make the quick run."
Oct 9, 2015 12:14 am
I will guard too. Kel says holding the 12 gauge.
Oct 9, 2015 2:05 am
John checks his pistol and holsters it, "I can go into the store. Howard, Andrew? You guys in?"
Oct 9, 2015 2:07 am
Annette, still in a bit of a state of disbelief after hearing you guys talk about what has been going on holds a little tighter to Howard's arm. "Howard, maybe you should stay out here...with me. I... I just don't want to be alone out here if this is really what is happening."
Oct 12, 2015 6:54 am
(OOC: Oh. Crap.)

"Annette, baby...we have to see what we can get for supplies. We're heading out to a cabin to hopefully be safe, but we've got nothing to eat but chips and snacks. This place is right here, now. You can come with me, or I can go quick and be right back...these guys stood up for me when I came to get you; I can't let them go into this place alone. Howard hugs her, kisses her, and then waits a moment to see if she'll respond about wanting to come along. He hates to leave her, even for a moment...but he's worked himself up to convince himself that this is necessary.
Last edited October 12, 2015 6:54 am
Oct 13, 2015 2:29 am
Looking at him for a second Annette grabs his hands a little tighter, but then lets go. "I'll...I'll wait out here Howie. Just, come back safe."

[ GM: She relents to stay back with Kel and Jacob. It sounds like John and Howard so far are going to go inside. Where is Andrew in all of this? Would he like to stay with the cars, or go in? ]
Oct 13, 2015 1:26 pm
"Howie, man. you can stay here and I'll go in..." Kel says, offering the shotgun (he has the pistol in jacket pocket).
Last edited October 13, 2015 1:26 pm
Oct 15, 2015 6:07 pm
Howard looks sheepish, grateful and relieved. He takes the shotgun (pump?) and nods his thanks, then quickly "man-hugs" Kel. He'll watch the crowd grimly. While he's feeling relief from having to choose between Annette and duty, he's not at all happy about the burning car and what it represents.
Oct 15, 2015 8:31 pm
Kel gets out the pistol and looks at John and Andrew. "Ready?"
Oct 16, 2015 12:36 am
"Ready, are you Andrew?", John looks to Andrew.
Oct 16, 2015 1:42 am
"Think long term. Protein bars, beans, canned spinach, jerky, bottled water...all we can carry."
Oct 20, 2015 2:22 am
Andrew seems to not want to leave the safety the vehicle provides as well so he opts to stay with the vehicles as well. John and Kel move towards the P&G. The crowd out front is easy to mask themselves in as it is sort of just one large mass of people running into and out of the store. The full-length glass windows that had once lined the front of the building are all smashed. Getting into the store is quite easy and as you enter you see the large warehouse store is now in disarray. A few large metal shelves on the other end of the store are collapsed over, and there is people running everywhere with handfuls of supplies.

There are the occasional looters as well who only seem to be taking electronics like TV's, Blu-Ray players, and game consoles.
Oct 20, 2015 2:25 am
"Kel, let's head back towards canned goods, I think bottled water is back that way too", John says, pointing over near the collapsed shelf on the other end of the building.
Oct 20, 2015 2:58 am
"Grab a cart?" Kel looks at John
Oct 20, 2015 3:38 am
"Yes, but, let's just be careful. I have a feeling once we get some supplies together in a cart we may draw more attention to what we have", John says. He grabs a cart and the two of you set off to the other end of the store, weaving around people and grabbing what supplies you can think to get as you go.

Soon you get over to the section with the half-collapsed shelving and you see that one of the large metal shelving structures has buckled and is leaning against the other next to it. A huge cache of canned goods is underneath this, you could hunch over and crawl in to get to it probably.
Oct 20, 2015 3:43 am
Everyone out at the cars. Jacob, and Howard, give me a Logic test. Roll two positive dice and one negative.
Oct 20, 2015 5:22 am
Howard, his eyes darting everywhere, tries to spot any danger. As a result, he overlooks whatever it is (but takes no stress).
Last edited October 20, 2015 5:23 am

Rolls

Logic test (2 positive) - (2d6)

(42) = 6

Logic test (1 negative) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Oct 20, 2015 1:07 pm
Kel squeezes through the collapsed shelves...thinking that John would be the better one to guard.
Oct 20, 2015 9:58 pm
Getting a little edgy as Kel and John work there way through the store, Jacob watches the crowd for any signs of trouble. "See anything, Howard?"

LOG: 4

EDIT: BOOM!
Last edited October 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Rolls

Two Positive - (1d6, 1d6)

One Negative - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Oct 21, 2015 3:47 am
-- Inside --
John stands guard at the shelves as Kel starts to squeeze in and hands loads of cans back to John. He is also able to find a spilled open crate of beef jerky bags and grabs a few of them.

[ GM: Kel, make me a dexterity check, It's going to be 2 white dice, and 2 black dice. ]

-- Outside --
Howard is busy keeping an eye out towards the store and doesn't notice the group of people walk up. But Jacob sees them coming. It's a man, a woman, and two kids. One is maybe a teenager, the other maybe 10 or 12. The man is leading the group and walking towards you with his hand up in the air as if trying to get your attention, but you think this may be because he noticed you saw him. Jacob also notices his other hand is behind his back, and the woman and children are not making eye contact with you at all. Almost trying not to look right at you.

"H...hello. Hi. I...I was wondering if you could help us", he says as he keeps walking closer. He and the other three are maybe 15 feet from you at this point.
Oct 21, 2015 6:49 am
Howard turns around at this voice and raises his shotgun, aiming at the speaker.
"WAIT RIGHT THERE! We don't want any trouble. You can ask us for help from right there. We've seen some crazy stuff tonight and we're feeling a little trigger happy, so it'll be safer for everyone if you just stay back!" Howard will hiss an aside to Annette, without taking his eyes off the group. "Annette, look around and let me know if anyone else is coming up to us other than these four..."
Oct 21, 2015 12:58 pm
Kel squeezes through the narrow opening...

DEX 2
Last edited October 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Rolls

[+] Two Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

[-] Two Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

Oct 21, 2015 9:57 pm
Following Howard's lead Jacob raises his pistol. "Like the man said! Each of you stop where you're at and state your business." Taking a quick look behind him before continuing, "And let's see that other hand. NICE. AND. FUCKING. SLOW!!"

Jacob almost feels like a bad-ass with exception of the almost crippling fear he's feeling.
Oct 22, 2015 3:51 am
-- Inside --
You've been getting a good amount of goods out to John as he has been filling up the cart. A few scrapes and cuts here and there but so far nothing to major (your remaining stresses). As you are bringing one more arm-full of goods out to John you hear the shelves start to creak and groan. The metal twists and bends above as the weight of everything starts to collapse the rest of the way. Luckily you are able to scramble your way back out and avoid a more serious injury. John checks to make sure you're okay. You have a cart that has a ton of canned goods, some jerky, and you also found a bulk pack of 6 mag-light flashlights over in this area of the store.

John looks up towards the registers and sees that all of the employees here as well have given up working and left. "Should we attempt to get more or bolt now? It looks like they may have some camping gear in that back corner" , he says as he points to the back corner across the store. "What do you think, Kel?"

-- Outside --
The man, seeing the guns leveled at him raises his hand from behind his back and you see a small pistol in it. It dangles loose on his finger. "I'm....look. Look, I'm sorry. Shit's going down, please, lower the guns, I have kids here for gods sake. I...we just need a car. We need to get out of here. I need to get my family safe. Please, don't shoot", the man says. The woman behind him is kind of cowering behind him and holding the kids tightly. "We...we've just gotten desperate. I don't know what's going on but some...things...have come after us. We need a car to get us out of here", he pleads with you. The pistol, a fairly small caliber gun, still hangs on his finger. He has both of his hands raise over his head, palms out.
Oct 22, 2015 9:55 am
"Yeah, let's get a bit but be quick about it." Kel says as he looks at his scratches
Oct 22, 2015 6:54 pm
Painfully aware of the burning car in the parking lot, Howard remains paranoid that this is a ruse to distract them from attack on some other front. But at the same time, he's thinking of his kids and is sympathetic to this man, trying to take care of his family. He relaxes a little bit, bringing the gun down from his shoulder (though it is still aimed at the man).

"I understand. Zombies, right? It's hard to believe, but it's happening. We're trying to get our families and get out, too." He flicks his eyes in Annette's direction.

Howard is not going to volunteer to take these people, even though with a tight fit there'd be room at the moment (but not with all the spouses and children). None of the cars are his, and it's Andrew's family cabin, so it's up to Andrew to decide on that front. So he's just talking, trying to defuse the tension of this confrontation.

Is there a roll I could/should make for assessing someone and their motivations?
Last edited October 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Rolls

Empathy check (positive dice) - (2d6)

(15) = 6

Empathy check (negative dice) - (2d6)

(64) = 10

Oct 22, 2015 7:39 pm
It's going to be Empathy. I also just added a screen from the PHB to the how to section showing that list. The check for this situation would be two white dice and two negative.

Justification:
Positive: (default, gun encourages honesty)
Negative: (tense situation, your judging/sarcastic trait)
Oct 22, 2015 9:04 pm
I've added the rolls to my previous post; my read is one success and two SOCIAL stress - is that right?
Oct 22, 2015 11:13 pm
Jacob struggles to remain calm. He didn't care for shooting threatening zombie creatures and is not sure he could pull the trigger on an actual person.

"Drop it or put it away and then we'll do the same with ours." Noticing the children huddling with the women behind Jacob continues, "Come on, man. No one wants to hurt anyone here, we all just want our families safe."

CHA: 2 for a persuasion check.

1+ as default, 1+ for the manly way Jacob holds a gun, 1- standoff, 1- generally shy trait.

OUCH, no successes and one stress, yea?

Last edited October 22, 2015 11:14 pm

Rolls

Positive Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

Oct 23, 2015 3:27 am
-- Inside --
You make your way over to the camping gear. This area is unsurprisingly picked over. You do manage to find an LED lantern, two sleeping bags, and a small camp stove. You shove them in the cart quickly. "Is there anything else we should look for in the store?", John asks Kel.

-- Outside --
The man slowly starts to put his gun back behind him, "Okay, okay. Just...don't shoot. I'm putting it away. Just please don't shoot. I have kids here", he pleads as he tucks the gun away and his hand comes back from behind his back, the gun is gone. He puts both his hands back up in the air."Please, could you give us a car. We have no way out of here. We need a vehicle."

[Note for Howard]
Jacob, given the stress of the situation is not able to determine the motives or honesty of this guy.
Oct 27, 2015 3:09 pm
(Sorry, I didn't see the last post earlier for whatever reason).

"No, we better get back before things escalate here" Kel says as he wheels the cart back towards the exit.
Oct 27, 2015 5:43 pm
Howard looks to the others - Jacob and Andrew - meaningfully. He feels he doesn't have a say, as he doesn't own any of the cars. He considers how else they might help this family, but so far he's coming up with nothing.
Oct 27, 2015 9:38 pm
"Sorry, but you're not the only one trying to rescue family here, buddy. If there was some other way to help you I would."
Oct 28, 2015 2:34 am
-- Inside --
As Kel and John make their way towards the front all of a sudden a gunshot rings out from the front of the store. People instantly scatter in all directions. Most surge away from the sound and people start to flood your direction near the back portion of the store. Another shot rings out, still sounding like it's from the front of the store.

John looks at Kel, "What should we do? Find the back exit?"

-- Outside --
Having his plan foiled the husband here looks sadly at you but sees that his arguments aren't really making headway. He looks like he is searching for a new line of reasoning when you hear the loud crack of a gunshot come from the store. He flinches at the noise and quickly pleads with you again, "Please, just help us get out of here. We only live about five miles away." Another shot rings out from the store behind you.

GM: The two outside give me charisma checks. Same as last time (2 positive, 2 negative). We are going to do an opposed check to see who is more convincing, and if you can resist his impassioned pleas.
Oct 28, 2015 2:46 am
Jacob fights with his self as the man pleads his case. "Five miles ain't so bad... NO! Have to get to Kel's place..."

CHA 2

Rolls

Positive Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

Oct 28, 2015 3:22 am
Kel looks at John "I don't want to find more rats in the alley...one guy with a gun we can deal with, and if it's a cop we just pay for this stuff, right?"
Oct 28, 2015 7:46 am
Howard really doesn't want to turn into a monster himself, even if zombies are actually real. But it's not his call! But they're a family!

TWO social stress and a failure - ouch!
Last edited October 28, 2015 7:47 am

Rolls

CHR check (positive dice) - (2d6)

(46) = 10

CHR check (negative dice) - (2d6)

(33) = 6

Oct 29, 2015 3:01 am
-- Inside --
You start to move closer back to the entrance and you spot the gunman. He has a small pistol and is firing it into the air. By now most people have left the front of the store either through the front or have piled towards the back to look for other exits. The man has a black ski mask on and is wearing a puffy black vest with the word POLICE across it in yellow. You would guess maybe a bullet proof or kevlar vest. The man is shouting for the rest of the people up front to leave and that this is his place now.

As of now Kel and John are in a small electronics section that is near the front. From here it's about a 60 ft sprint to the exit. The man is almost directly in that path. You have seen him stop two other people by menacingly pointing the gun at them to make them leave shopping carts full of supplies as he shouts that all of this is his now.

[ GM: Remember, if you want to move in combat you can move up to 20 feet a minor task (not requiring a roll of anything) in a single round. If you want to use your whole turn to sprint you can get up to 60 feet with a vitality test (undetermined difficulty yet). However if you fail it you may either come up short in distance or sustain a minor injury. That is just one option here. ]

-- Outside --
As another shot rings out from the store the man has almost gotten to Howard but Jacob interjects. Seeing there is no help to be had here the man turns and leaves the other direction, wanting nothing to do with the P&G with the sounds that have been coming from inside there. He and his family hurry off down the road.

You've now heard three gunshots come from the store and Kel and John are not back yet with supplies. You can also hear occasional shouts from inside the store but from across the parking lot you can't make out what they are saying.

[ GM: You definitely took the stress of the situation, but you were able to keep up your persistence and kept all of your vehicles and space. ]
Oct 29, 2015 10:39 am
"That's not a cop....cops don't wear a ski mask and say "This place is mine".. Do we look for a back exit or take him on?" Kel says, looking towards John's training for guidance.
Oct 29, 2015 9:38 pm
"What do you think's going on in there, Howard? I say we give them a few more minutes and then I'll go and see what the hell they're doing."
Oct 31, 2015 12:49 am
Howard flicks his eyes nervously at Andrew, who has fallen somewhat catatonic. How are we going to get to the cabin if he doesn't snap out of it? But he replies to Jacob: "Yeah...yeah, that seems like a good idea."
Oct 31, 2015 3:31 am
-- Inside --
John looks around pondering his options quickly, "We should find another way out. He hasn't used the gun on a person yet, but someone like this, I don't think they are the type to test." He turns and heads away from the store back where most of the others went. As you get towards the back you see a large group of people trying to file out of a small single back door. There is also a garage door, probably used for shipments. But it is down and has a large padlock holding it closed.

If you want to wait for the door, it make take about a good 5 minutes with how many people are trying to get out of one door. Otherwise you'll have to look for another way out.

[ GM: If you want you can make a Logic check to find an alternate route out of here. I'll give you three white, two black if you want to do it. Default white, one for your armchair survivalist, and one because you've probably been in this store before. Two black because stress of the situation, gunman in store and all. ]

-- Outside --
A few minutes passes and people stop trickling out of the front of the store. You see some people who appear near the back and the run off from the store. As Jacob and Howard are watching the store intently Howard looks back to check on Andrew. He was standing right with you two, but suddenly he is gone. Not a single trace. Scanning up and down the street you see nothing.
Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm
Kel looks around for the Hardware section sign. "Lets get a bolt cutter and open that door. The fact that people are filing out and we don't hear screams tells me it's safer back there than I assumed"

Rolls

[+] 3 Dice - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

[-] 2 Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm
YAY!
Oct 31, 2015 3:29 pm
"Andrew? ANDREW?? Jacob, Annette, did you see where Andrew went?"

Howard turns around, and around again, looking for his driver. Is Andrew's car still there, with Annette and all their cop supplies in it, or did they all vanish, too, despite our guarding it? If the car's still there, are the keys still in the car, or did they disappear with Andrew?

"WHAT THE HELL?? We're going to his family's cabin...!"

Is there anyone suspicious nearby, anyone who could have taken him?

"AAAANDREEEEEW!!"
Last edited October 31, 2015 3:55 pm
Nov 3, 2015 3:54 pm
-- Inside --
Kel, familiar with the store quickly and easily finds a hefty bolt cutter nearby and snaps the lock right off the door. As the door rattle up the crowd quickly surges out through the new exit, more than likely grateful for such resourcefulness. Kel and John heft the cart down off the loading bay and are now behind the store away from the gunman.

-- Outside --
The strange thing is that all of Andrews stuff for the car are still there, but there is no sign of him. His car is still there but he had been outside of the car with the rest of you during the encounter with the man. Remaining incredibly quiet. Now he is simply gone. You don't see anyone suspicious around you.
Nov 3, 2015 4:06 pm
Kel tosses the bolt cutters into the cart and smiles confidently at John. "Let's get back to the guys"
Nov 3, 2015 5:13 pm
"Jacob, did you see anything? Where did he go? What's taking the guys so long in the store?"
Nov 3, 2015 10:57 pm
"I wasn't paying any attention to Andrew, he must've just slipped off some where." Jacob shrugs as he continues, "Stay with her, I'm going to see if I can figure out what is going on with Kel and John."

Jacob will move towards the store and take a peek in the front door if he gets that far without any issues.
Nov 4, 2015 6:06 am
As Jacob nears the font of the store he sees and hears a man shouting from inside, then another gunshot rings out. Only a few moments after Kel and John come sprinting from behind the store with a shopping cart full of stuff. You catch their eye and they signal you to follow them. You are able to get back to the cars without incident. Most people in the area have fled the store.
Nov 4, 2015 3:39 pm
Howard keeps an eye out as they all unload into the cars, shotgun still in hand. He explains to the others: "Thank God; I was worried that something had happened. We had a guy and his family try to take a car, and now Andrew has disappeared." Then, as an aside to Annette: "Baby, can you see if Andrew left the keys?"
Last edited November 4, 2015 3:41 pm
Nov 6, 2015 3:42 am
Annette walks over to Andrew's car and checks. "Looks like his keys are still in here. He's just gone", she looks back at Howard.
Nov 6, 2015 3:53 am
"OK, I think the next closest in proximity are my family. There will be three - My wife, Lisa, my teenage daughter, Sarah and my son Gavin, who's 11.We have a Jeep, it can hold 5 and gear or 7 and no gear Kel says as he loads the goods in the car.
Nov 6, 2015 6:56 am
Howard takes Annette's hand and grips it, tightly, to reassure himself that she is there. Andrew's vanishing from right under their noses - disappearing without a trace - that right there is some weird Star Trek jazz, and if he can get vaporized, who's to say that any of them might not be next?

"Okay...okay...so your family next, then. We'll figure out where to go after we get all the families..." The fact that they can't go to Andrew's cabin without Andrew is unspoken, but obvious. One step at a time... "Who's...who's going to ride with us?"
Nov 8, 2015 4:24 am
"Well, we still have Andrew's car, my car, and Jacob's. Should we try and get on the highway, or do you know a quieter way, Kel?", John asks. Loading gear into the back of his car and Jacob's.
Nov 8, 2015 4:37 am
"I assume the highway is totally fucked. We need to take side streets. Opdyke to Lapeer road..."
Nov 8, 2015 5:12 am
Realizing that the group has three cars among them Jacob starts to feel bad for turning the family away. Any guilt that he may have had quickly disappears when John starts loading in supplies. "We're going to need to transport everything we need at this point."

Opening the driver's side door, he yells to the others, "Whose with me? We should get moving!"
Nov 10, 2015 3:34 pm
"I'm with John" Kel says as he loads the last of the gear.
Nov 10, 2015 3:36 pm
John and Kel pile into one vehicle. Jacob is in his. Do Annette and Howard want to take Andrew's car?
Nov 10, 2015 6:46 pm
...yes. It's not like Andrew wandered away - Howard has convinced himself of that - Andrew vanished. Completely and utterly, without trace, from one moment to the next. Abducted by aliens, teleported to a starship, transported in time...at the moment, none of those sound too outlandish. Howard does wait a moment, pausing before he starts the engine. Then he rolls down the window and says self-consciously but in a loud voice:
"Andrew, if you turned invisible, get in the car now. I'll give you 30 seconds, and then we're leaving!"
He looks over at Annette, embarrassed, and shrugs. He waits about 15 seconds, then starts the car, then waits a while longer, tapping his hand on the steering wheel, feeling more and more foolish. Then he adjusts the rearview mirror to look in the back seat. "Andrew, if you're back there already, I swear, I'm gonna..."

The time's up. Howard leans out the window: "Okay, John, I'll follow you!"
Nov 10, 2015 8:08 pm
Kel relates his address to John, recommending a way to get there that doesn't involve the highway. The Arneson Hwy backs up in regular 9 to 5, so it's got to be a death trap now. We can take Rasmussen Ave to.....Greenwood Road ...to Menzter St.
Nov 11, 2015 3:30 pm
John starts to drive off towards the direction Kel described. A few turns and they find their way out of the city and heading into the suburban back streets that lie outside the city.

GM. A few things are about to go down. I'm going to restructure the forum a bit so we can have a chapter break here. Moving away from the city to the suburbs. Since leveling in this system is more an "at end of session update characters" we can take this opportunity to heal stress on characters if you would like, and upgrade our characters. I'll post how to do that in the character creation area after I update the forums. :)

Good work surviving so far everyone. :) Well, except Tim. He bit it pretty bad.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.