Chapter 1 - The City

load previous
Sep 18, 2015 2:37 am
Jacob fires on the woman who still has the man hanging limp in her grasp. The shot wings her in the shoulder and she drops the body.

[
GM: That is 4 stress against the woman, but she shakes one off for her It Wont Die feature. I may keep posting the healthbars, unless you would like me to hide the info and let you track it yourself. This game has a fairly set stress track feature.

Woman: 1[X][X][X] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
Old Man: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
]
Sep 18, 2015 4:42 am
(OOC: I do have small amounts of gun experience, mostly with rifles but my grandfather taught me how to handle a handgun as well)

Andrew arms himself and uses the open driver side window to stabilize his shaky arms. He tries to calm himself, and steadies his breathing as he lines up a shot at the woman, then slowly exhales as he gently squeezes the trigger.

DEX 3

Rolls

Positive - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Positive (gun) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Positive (steady aim via impromptu gun rest? If it's too much a stretch we'll ignore this haha) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Negative (situation) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 18, 2015 5:08 am
Andrew's shot hits the woman square in the upper torso, staggering her back about a foot, but she keeps her balance.

[ GM: That is the perfect opportunity for improvised ways to give yourself bonus positive dice. I'll keep the steady aim in there and the bit of gun experience negates your first time firing a gun dice. You did 5 stress, minus 1 because of her Wont Die feature. Remember, if you think there is a reason you should gain positive dice, always try and bring them up or leverage them. If it's realistic I'll probably give it to you.

Woman: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][X][X] 3[X][ ][ ]
Old Man: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
]
Sep 18, 2015 10:33 am
Kel, who had taken rifle and skeet shooting in college as his physical ed. credits, knew mostly of what to expect when he pulled the trigger on the pistol. What he had never done, however, is pointed one at a person - or what used to be a person. He remembered the dog from earlier, and looked down at what the shambling woman had just done to another person, and pulled the trigger.

Rolls

+ 2d6, default, pistol - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (4) = 4

- 2d6 - Stress, first time shooting a person - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (4) = 4

Sep 18, 2015 10:35 am
My dex is 2
Sep 18, 2015 11:41 am
As Kel pulls the trigger his bullet connects square in the middle of the woman's head. She instantly slumps to the ground. He sees what he has just done and throws up on the ground.

Howard is the last to react.

[ GM: Very reasonable negative dice. You did manage to finish off the woman, though you certainly didn't feel good about it. Also a reminder I never said it for the battle. Small handguns add +3 damage if you score a hit while using one. In case you were wondering where I get my numbers from. ]
Sep 18, 2015 3:15 pm
Howard, seeing everyone with guns, gets out of the car and looks around for one. In his panic, he's not really focused on the shamblers coming out of the store; he's still focused on the first zombies he's seen: the cop zombies. He's sort-of come to grips with the situation, somewhat by retreating into fantasy (vivid imagination feature). The cops would've had weapons, right?

He'll scan around to see the situation: is there a cop car nearby? Are the cop zombie crawlers near enough that he can jog over to them and either retrieve a sidearm or a set of keys for a patrol vehicle? He's working himself up to use his paper cutter blade on something animate...
Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm
Looking down the road the cops were coming from you see a cop car maybe a block and a half down (south of you). Looking at the streets you realize this may be the cops you heard earlier on the radio back in the office. You guess they may have something in their car. The cops, though heavily crippled, are still alive, but they seem to still have their belts on with holstered pistols, taser guns, handcuffs, batons. All the good stuff. The only other thing that occurs to you was that one of these cops was first attacked by an individual who bit the cop's partner.
Sep 18, 2015 3:51 pm
If the crawlers are nearby, Howard will jog over to them. and crack a joke as he swings at the closest. He's dimly aware that there're shamblers coming out of the store, but disinclined to go towards them through a fusillade of bullets. He will, though, if the old man zombie is close enough that Howard wouldn't have time to interact with the cops without getting grabbed by the old man. Either way, he's trying to use his Witty feature to bolster his courage and aim in this first time swinging a weapon with intent to kill an animate creature.

For the cop crawler:
"Well, officer, do you know why I pulled you over today?" Chop.

--OR--

For the old man zombie:
"Looks like you're off your meds!" Chop

(Edit: to post in character. Seriously, this is a constant problem for me. Sorry!)

If I'm reading that right, it's one success (the 1) and one failure (the unremoved failure die).
Last edited September 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Rolls

Positive die (attempting something) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Positive dice (long-blade weapon) - (2d6)

(12) = 3

Positive die (witty feature) - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Negative die (omnipresent chance of failure) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Negative die (first time chopping carnivorous undead) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 18, 2015 4:01 pm
Howard runs over to the closest downed police creature and brings the large blade of the cutter down square on it's skull. His witty line helps him bolster through the horrifying experience, or maybe completely delude himself to it, either way he kills the zombie, but wrenches his should just a bit in the process.

[ GM: That was read right, and the bladed weapon does +3 bonus damage on a hit. So you did 4 total, minus one for Wont Die. My guess is since John was just shooting at the old man zombie you chose the safer route of taking out the downed cop, instead of running in front of potentially more shooting. ]
Sep 18, 2015 4:07 pm
The other downed cop zombie starts to pull itself towards Howard, but he can't clear the distance in his short time. It's close enough that it could become a concern in a few more moments.

The old man zombie, with surprising mobility for how old and crippled he looks, makes his way to Tim as he continues to fumble with his pistol to find why it won't fire. It grabs on to him and tries to bite.

DEX 3

It gets hold and sinks it's teeth into Tim, though lucky for Tim the old man has no teeth. He does scratch up his arm pretty good though. It seems to have broken an ankle on the way over to Tim, but it is still in fighting form.

It's now your groups turn to take initiative.

[ GM: Only 2 stress to Tim, the old man is able to shake off the stress he would have gotten because he Wont Die. ]

Rolls

Positives (default, unrelenting feature) - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (3) = 3

Negatives (Shambling negative feature) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 18, 2015 5:09 pm
Kel takes aim at the old man, waiting for Tim to get out of the way. (+1d6 positive for aiming a round?). "Get outta there, Tim!"

(OOC:How is the crowd reacting to our murdering of murderers?)
Sep 18, 2015 6:19 pm
Tim does his best to shove back the zombie that is scratching him up and gumming at his arm.

DEX 3

The thing has too much of a grip and the shove just ends up digging the nails of the old man deeper into his arm. It's remarkably strong for such an old man.

[ GM: Yes, I'll give you a bonus the next round if you steady your shot this round, or if you do like Andrew and steady on something you could even get it this round. For future rounds if you don't move, and just use what would be your movement to steady your aim, either just in a stance, or bracing against something, I'll give you the extra dice. However, since you are firing at something attached to your friend, you would get an extra negative dice. If you also miss a shot like that completely there is a chance you could hit Tim.

PS: There is pretty much no crowd left to react. They have all fled in terror from the zombies. If any of them saw guns or heard gunshots their attitude of running the eff away didn't change much. ]

Rolls

Postitive Dice (default) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Negative Dice (zombie already has a hold) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 18, 2015 6:21 pm
WIth a Dex of 2, I'll brace and then aim for next round. Can't kill Tim!
Sep 19, 2015 2:53 am
John runs over to Tim and attempts to pull the zombie off of him and throw it to the ground. With Tim flailing against the zombie himself there is a bit of assistance, "Get off of him", he shouts.

DEX 4

For such a frail old frame this old man will not let go of Tim.

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, tim assist) - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

Negative Dice (grappling the undead) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 19, 2015 4:36 am
Once again following John's lead, Jacob will run in after and try his hand at removing the Zombie that has Tim.

DEX 3

Rolls

Positive (default, assisting Tim, assisting John) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative (old man zombie) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 19, 2015 5:38 am
Bolstered by the confidence of strength in numbers, Andrew also rushes over and tries to extricate Tim from the tenacious grip of the old man zombie.

DEX 3
Last edited September 19, 2015 5:38 am

Rolls

Positive default - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Positive Tim assist - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Positive John assist - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Positive Jacob assist - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Positive Wrestling/Martial Arts background - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Negative default - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Negative first time actually in close hand to hand combat range with a zombie - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 19, 2015 5:47 am
With combined strength Tim is freed from the zombie and it is thrown roughly to the ground. You hear quite a few withered old bones snap as it hits the ground, but without even missing a beat it starts to rise again.

Howard is last to react, then the Old Man zombie will be able to get back up.

[ GM: The old man sustained quite a bit of stress from the combined throw of everyone. One is shaken off because of his Wont Die. Tim is free of the thing. Also Andrew, you can take one less stress. Technically there is never a default negative dice on a roll, the only roll you have default is one positive dice. Your only real negative is hand to hand with a zombie.

Old Man: 1 [X][X][X] 2 [ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
]
Sep 19, 2015 4:37 pm
If they didn't already know it, everyone is learning that Howard tries to use humor to cope with awkward (or, in this case, horrific) situations. He runs up, brandishing the blade, and says "Looks like you chose the wrong day to come out of retirement!" and do a heavy overhead chop to the decrepit zombie as it rises.

(Edit: assuming it's DEX, that's one success)
Last edited September 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Rolls

Positive dice (default + 2 for weapon) - (3d6)

(223) = 7

Negative (horror of undead) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Positive (witty feature) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 19, 2015 5:52 pm
Howard brings the blade down hard, saying one liners so well it's hard to tell if he is hating, or really enjoying this, he dances on the cusp of near delusional madness as he sinks the blade deep into the shoulder and neck of the old man. No pain registers on the old contorted face, but it is thrown off balance by the blow.

[ GM: actually that was two hits. One negative two only cancels one positive two. So you have a 3 and 2 left that both succeed. Plus 3 bonus damage from the bladed weapon. But minus one for old man zombie armor. So a net of 4 damage.

Old Man: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][X][X] 3[X][ ][ ]
]
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.