Chapter 1 - The City

load previous
Sep 28, 2015 7:35 am
Howard grits his teeth in frustration and fear, then takes a deep breath as he prepares to jump.
*OK, she probably doesn't know what's going on, just that "someone" is banging on her door...*
Doing his best to keep his voice calm (he twitches at the sound of the explosion), he calls up to her:
"OK, it's OK, baby. I'm gonna come up and get you and help you down. I know you can do it. You run that whole office; this is nothing. You can do anything!" (Charisma is 3, so that's one success)

Then he jumps for the fire escape. (Dexterity is 3, 4s cancel, so that's another one success. I lead a charmed life!)
Last edited September 28, 2015 7:37 am

Rolls

Charisma check, positive (convince boss/lover to climb out the window) - (4d6)

(6663) = 21

Dexterity positive (jump to grab fire escape) - (2d6)

(41) = 5

Dexterity negative (jumping with bad knees) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 28, 2015 10:23 am
Kel keeps an eye on the entrance....shotgun in hand...
Sep 30, 2015 4:06 am
The woman takes a moment and looks like she is about to climb out, but doesn't, "I... I can't. It's too high up. Please. Howard. I need your help."

As you jump up you catch the bottom of the ladder and it clatters down to your level. The sound of it echoes down the alley.

"Howard! I can hear them at the door. I think someone's trying to break it down.", she shouts down nervously.
Sep 30, 2015 4:13 am
John has taken his pistol and is on the corner of the alley watching out into the street. As the ladder hits down and the sound rings out he gives Howard a look of disapproval. He sees two medium sized shapes on the east end of the street. They seem to be wandering aimlessly, but the shape is familiar.

"Psst. Guys. looks like we have two more animals inbound", he notes as quietly as he can. He signals everyone street side to get down behind something. Tim runs into the alley behind John.
Sep 30, 2015 7:22 am
Howard climbs the ladder and then continues up the stairs two at a time.

(Is that a roll, to climb the ladder? One positive, one negative?)
Sep 30, 2015 11:56 am
As Howard bolts up the ladder and the stairs he finds himself outside Annette's window. She climbs onto the fire escape and wraps her arms tightly around him. "Thank god you're alright, I was... I...", she trails off as she buries her face in his chest and starts to cry.

John keeps an eye on the shapes coming down the road slowly towards you. He can't quite make out the shape just yet. "We have to go soon. Or we are going to be trapped down this alley.", he whispers to Tim, Kel, and Jacob.

[ GM: Nah, I'll give you the ladder climb. Also where is Andrew in all of this? ]
Sep 30, 2015 12:17 pm
OOC: Andrew would be near/watching the opening of the alley to make sure no zombies come sneaking up on us while this is all happening, and scanning any ground floor windows or doors for threats as well.
Last edited September 30, 2015 12:19 pm
Sep 30, 2015 12:55 pm
Kel grips the shotgun tightly, ready to make for the car when the time is right. He plans on covering the group's retreat as they move
Sep 30, 2015 4:04 pm
"Annette, I'm here now." Howard holds on to her, relieved that she's OK...for the moment.

Then he smooths her hair back from her face and looks her in the eyes. "But we've got to get out of here now. Follow me!" He gives her a kiss, and then leads her by the hand quickly down the stairs to the second floor landing. Then he'll scan the alleyway to see if the coast is clear (or at least clear long enough for them to descend) before he starts down the ladder.
Sep 30, 2015 4:18 pm
Howard:
As you and Annette leave out the window of her apartment you hear the front door break and splinter open. As you round down to the second floor landing on the fire escape you look up and see a human shape crawling out of the window above. You climb down the ladder and as Annette is climbing down you hear a loud thud next to you. Some warm liquid hits your face as you look over and find that the person that was on the fire escape above is now on the ground next to you. It slowly starts to move to get up.

Kel, Andrew, Jacob:
As you are watching the small animal shapes down the road you hear a loud thud down the alley. You look back and see a person on the ground slowly getting back up, Howard standing near it, and Annette on the ladder climbing down. You look back up the road and the two animal shapes are now moving towards you. As they get slightly closer you can see it is two very large racoons. One looks like it has a tire mark down the middle of it, it's back half is dragging as it moves.

[ GM: Let's enter structured time. I'll let you guys go first. The zombie in the alley is close enough to anyone for them to get to it and attack it. The raccoons are currently too far away. Maybe 70-80 feet. (And a character can only generally move about 20 feet in a combat round unless they sprint). Let me know if you want clarification on any part of the scene or layout of things. ]
Sep 30, 2015 4:30 pm
I'd like Howard to draw the pistol and shoot the thing as it rises. What are my rolls for that?
Sep 30, 2015 4:56 pm
As the zombie tries to rise howard draws his pistol and fires a point-blank shot at the zombie.

[ GM: The pistol adds a positive dice, as does firing at point blank range. Plus your default. So that is 3 positives. There would be one negative just because of inherent difficulty of task, and you are protecting Annette. So only 1 negative.

If you hit with the pistol you do an additional +3 damage on top of your total success count.

Here is healthbars:
Zombie: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ] 3[ ][ ][ ]
Racoon 1: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ]
Racoon 2: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ]

(I brought the racoons down because they could probably take less damage than a human body.)
]
Sep 30, 2015 5:14 pm
Howard jumps in surprise at the body splatting beside him. Then, as it rises, he gets over his surprise, draws the pistol from its holster, and fires at the undead thing at point blank range.

Hmm. Unless that's a check against empathy, Howard completely missed.

Crap.
Last edited September 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Rolls

Firing gun (weapon, point blank, base die) - (3d6)

(445) = 13

Negative die (stress of horror) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 30, 2015 5:30 pm
Kelly rushes over and puts the shotgun into the face of the rising zombie.

DEX 2

Rolls

[+] 1 Die for weapon, 1 die for point blank, 1 default - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (2) = 2

[-] Aiming for head - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 30, 2015 6:05 pm
Despite the slow nature of the zombie both Kel and Howard's shots miss hitting the zombie as it tries to rise.
Sep 30, 2015 10:08 pm
Seeing the others rush the zombie in the alley Jacob will turn his attention to raccoons. He pulls out his pistol and tries to get into the stance like John has taught him. Picking a target he pulls the trigger and hopes for the best.

DEX: 3

So, looks like a hit and a stress.
Last edited September 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Rolls

Positive Die [Default, Gun] - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

Negative Die [Small Target] - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 30, 2015 11:34 pm
Jacob hits one of the raccoons. The shot doesn't seem to phase it, but it does stagger it's progress slightly.

[ GM: That is indeed a hit and a stress. Plus the pistol adds +3 damage to the hit, minus 1 for zombie raccoon armor. So 3 total.

Raccoon 1: 1[X][X][X] 2[ ][ ][ ]
Raccoon 2: 1[ ][ ][ ] 2[ ][ ][ ]
]
Oct 1, 2015 2:47 am
John takes aim at the raccoon that Jacob didn't hit.

Dex 4

The bullet hits the raccoon and staggers it as well. it continues it's pursuit.

[ GM: 5 total damage to the raccoon, minus one for undead armor. ]

Enemies:
Raccoon 2: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][ ][ ]

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, pistol, small arms trained) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (3) = 3

Negative Dice (shot difficulty) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Oct 1, 2015 10:32 am
Andrew is breathing heavily and trying to maintain his calm as the gunfire erupts all around him and the arrival of the zombies reminds him of the seriousness of the situation in which they all find themselves. He carefully positions himself to have a clear shot at the zombie that is rising to meet Howard and aims for it's head with the handgun.

Rolls

Positive dice (base, gun, familiarity with handguns) - (3d6)

(323) = 8

Negative die (aimed headshot) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Oct 1, 2015 11:40 am
As Andrew pulls the trigger the head of the zombie erupts and the creature falls. Dead. Or dead again as it were.

[ GM: I'll let you in on a secret guys. These zombies have a trait called "Destroying the brain". If there are ever successful doubles on uncancelled dice the brain of the creature is instantly destroyed and the creature doesn't move anymore. It's an instant kill. All that remains are two zombiecoons coming at you. ]

Tim, not being very averse to this combat stuff cowers back down the alleyway towards the closed off end, looking for anyway out other than the street with those things.

The raccoons shamble closer by about 20 feet. They could be upon you in the next turn.

Healthbars:
Raccoon 2: 1[X][X][X] 2[X][ ][ ]
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.