Chapter 1 - The City

load previous
Sep 19, 2015 8:22 pm
Is it on DEX? Howard's DEX is 2. I'm not complaining, just trying to make sure I understand...
Sep 20, 2015 3:12 am
Kel has a clear shot at the old man but Howard's bestiality shocks him. So he waits to see if the Sundries Admin will finish the job before he expends ammo.
Sep 20, 2015 3:45 am
The old man, relentless in his assault takes the blow from the cutter and keeps trying to claw out at Howard who is now right in his sights.

DEX 3

He claws at Howard's torso and gets a few good scratches in.

The remaining half-cop zombie starts crawling closer to the group. He is still about 2 rounds away from making it to anyone in particular.

Your team has initiative once again.

[ GM: Actually Howards Dex on his character sheet says 3. Also the old man does 1 stress of damage to Howard. Depending on how many levels of the physical stress track howard has filled now he could shake off the single damage. ]

Rolls

Positive Dice (default) - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 20, 2015 4:37 pm
OOC: You're right about the DEX - I don't know what I was looking at. I'm reorganizing my character sheet to keep the stress counters and traumas together on the sheet, and also make the stats easier to read. In the meantime, though...

Caught between mania, horror, and despair, Howard seeks refuge in humor and action once again. "I said 'Say goodnight, Gracie!!' " and chop at the grasping old man again.

Two successes and a failure die remains.
Last edited September 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Rolls

Positive dice (default, 2 weapon, 1 witty) - (4d6)

(4243) = 13

Negative (flailing clawing zombie arms) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 20, 2015 5:49 pm
Howard brings his weapon down directly on top of the old man's skull this time. As the blade splits into the old man he suddenly slumps to the ground and moves no more. His perfectly timed joke lands with particular success.

One half-cop zombie remains.

[ GM: you can finish off the zombie, or break structure time and just try and flee. ]
Sep 20, 2015 8:06 pm
So far, Howard has three physical stress (counting the one from that last roll) and 2 mental stress. Let's see what else happens. Having just taken his third physical stress, that can be converted into a trauma if Howard gets the chance to rest, correct? Is it that the full 3 stress makes a character immune to single stresses of that type, or having a trauma gives that ability to shake it off?

Feeling like he contributed, Howard returns to the body of the first cop and forages for useful equipment: taser, keys, pistol, baton, flashlight - whatever he has on him. If the other crawler is too close for comfort, he'll confront it and quote from West Side Story "Officer Krupke, you're really a square!" (with the unintended implication that Howard is the "disturbed" person from the song) and chop again.

(Ouch: I hope he doesn't have to do that attack; he's throwing his shoulder out)
Last edited September 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Rolls

Positive dice for attack - (3d6)

(423) = 9

Witty positive die (if applicable) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Negative hissing slithering cop zombie die - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 22, 2015 3:55 am
Howard is able to scavange the dead officers handgun (12 bullets), taser gun (2 cartridges), handcuffs and keys, baton, flashlight, pepper spray canister. The other downed officer is still dragging the broken lower half of his torso and doesn't have the speed to catch Howard as he does this. No attack needed. John checks on Tim and the others and is able to finish off the half-cop with no resulting injuries. After this there is suddenly a calm over the scene.

In the distance you can hear some more faint screams. You can see a few blocks south of you fires rage through a few buildings. You have a few options as to the layout of this city. There is the hospital straight south of you. You could head west and try to get on the interstate out to the western suburbs. The coast is off to the west, along with the port for this city. There is also a big central mall between here and the hospital. The city also features a small zoo, and then various office buildings.

Quicky-Meds dot the landscape, you're generally never more than a few blocks from one.
Sep 22, 2015 9:40 am
"Guys...I mean, holy...!" Howard looks at the devastation all around them and tries to start again. "Guys, I know this sounds crazy - no it IS crazy - but I think we're not talking about rabies. I think we're full-on into a zombie apocalypse. I don't know what that means or what we should do, and I still think we should get you guys" (looking at Kel and Tim) "serious medical attention...but at the same time, I gotta wonder about what the hospital is like, if this happened at just a little Quicky-Med. What do you think? There's a lot of useful stuff at a hospital, even more so than at a little Quicky-Med, but there's also going to be more sick and hurt people..."
Sep 22, 2015 12:27 pm
"I'm starting to think the hospital is the last place we want to go!" Kel says as he looks at his wounds. "Now, if this is some "Walking Dead" shit, are Tim and I going to turn? I feel ok."
Sep 22, 2015 9:51 pm
"Zombies?!?!?" - Jacob can hardly believe he's starting to buy into this theory. "This isn't some dumb-ass zombie flick, this shit is real! Something's going on here, something that can explain all of this. There's got to be." He pauses for a second and looks around. "I just shot someone. What the HELL is going on!!!"

Collecting himself to the best of his ability while letting the entire horrible situation sink in he turns to the others. "Fucking zombies, I guess. Let's get the hell out of here, and I agree, stay the hell away from hospitals."
Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm
Wanting to get people to calm down and think, Kel says "OK, guys. This may sound silly but...we're geeks. Nerds - we fantasize about crazy crap like this every weekend - but we're smart...resourceful. We know that survival is more than a die roll but we've survived worse stuff in our games. Demons...angry gods... We have watched zombie flicks. Seen the mistakes people make. We need to act now - get food, supplies, get our families and prepare for the worst - but we've got to act NOW before all these other idiots do.
Sep 23, 2015 2:29 am
"I agree, the hospital now is literally just a zombie breeding ground. It's probably the most dangerous place we could go."
Andrew still hasn't gotten out of his car yet but he's leaning out the window, and frantically looking around at his companions.
"This isn't something we can 'beat', we've got to think about survival, for ourselves and our friends and families. We've got protection, but we need food and supplies. My family has a cabin up on Indian Lake, and we can hide out there once we get some stuff. It's a big, sturdy building: eight bedrooms and plenty of space for all of us. I've got to go get my fiancé in NY, but I'm not gonna ask or expect any of you to make that journey with me, and I'll set you up in my family's cabin before I go. You'll be safe there."
Sep 23, 2015 2:38 am
"Deal - ok, who's family is closest to the city? If this originated from the meteors, they are in the most danger"
Sep 23, 2015 3:52 am
John shrugs. "It's just me, I think Tim is in the same boat, right? Kel, don't you live out in the west suburbs?"

John goes about grabbing the bag of guns and taking them back from Tim and anyone who would rather not handle one at this time. He tosses it with the rifle and shotgun in his trunk. "Well, I still have room in my car for three. Four if we squeeze three in the back seat. I also know of a Rudy's Pump and Grocery that may be on the way."

[ GM: Being citizens of the city you know of the national chain Rudy's Pump and Grocery. It's a big box place that has been cutting into the Sam's Club and Costco markets. They also have gas pumps outside. Inside is bulk quantities of anything and everything you could think to find...within reason. ]
Sep 23, 2015 10:58 am
"My wife's car is a Jeep Commander. It can hold 7 and some gear..."
Sep 23, 2015 11:50 am
Tim, who has been trying his best to hold it together for a while now, is staring at the bandage around his leg, over the rat wound. "Are. Are we going to turn? Into those things? Kel?" He is visibly shaken and on the verge of tears. "How...how do we know if or when we will turn?", he absentmindedly rubs the other bandage on his arm.
Sep 23, 2015 12:13 pm
"I'm trying not to think about it. For now, lets just take care of it like a normal wound. I'm sure these guys will know what to do if we...Let's just get going - Let's hit that market."
Sep 23, 2015 3:21 pm
Howard thinks wistfully of his (ex) wife and kids, and how they moved away after the divorce and cut off all contact with him. He thinks of Annette, the VP of operations with whom he had the affair that ended his marriage, and flashes back to their last private conversation:

Snuggling in the afterglow, they lay together in her bed. His worries and regrets momentarily forgotten, Howard caressed her neck. "I wonder if anyone else in the office even suspects..." He felt Annette stiffen. "I hope not."

He chuckled. "Would it be such a bad thing? I'm proud to know you, proud to love you."

She rolled away and started to get dressed again. "Haven't you learned from your divorce? We can't let anyone know about us." He looked at her, pained. All of his emotions were wrapped up in this woman, and it was hard to think that she wasn't, somehow, rejecting him. "We could both lose our jobs, Howard! There's so many violations of business ethics here...until you get that transfer to another office, we can't go public with our relationship. Tell me you understand, Howard!" He'd agreed, and she'd kissed him again. "Love you. I'm glad you understand; it's gotta be secret so that we can stay together until your transfer goes through and I'm not your boss' boss anymore. Then we can admit our relationship without violating any serious business ethics. I want to be open with you, but we can't keep on the way we have been. That time in the Maintenance closet...! That's why...that's why I think we need to take a break, until you get that transfer. It's just too tough to keep it a secret." He stared at her in shock; was she also trying to get rid of him?? "Just until your transfer is complete. You said it'd go through by the end of the month, right?" He nodded, unable to speak. "I can't wait...but I'm going to have to."

That was two nights ago, and Howard is torn: he desperately wants to see Annette, and make sure that she's OK, and yet he still feels some reluctance to admit to the rest of the group that he's been having an affair with their manager. But her apartment is so close...He tries again to text Annette on the sly: "Where R U? Home? R U OK?"

Then, to keep himself busy while he tries to decide whether to get the group to go to Annette's apartment two blocks away, he makes sure to check the other dead cop for its gear.
Last edited September 23, 2015 3:23 pm
Sep 23, 2015 3:41 pm
Kel notices Howard's far away expression. "Hey, man...what's up?" he says as he reloads the one spent round from his revolver.
Sep 23, 2015 3:54 pm
PhantomNimbus sent a note to spaceseeker19
John starts getting into his car. "We are going to have to move soon. If anymore of those things are around, they may have been drawn by that sound. Where are we going?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.