Rules of Play

Sep 19, 2015 1:08 pm
Use this thread to discuss the mechanics of playing this adventure online.

My initial thoughts are:
1. I expect posts everyday and due to the slowness of online play the maximum time I will wait for each player to post is 24 hours. The game will continue even if your character has not acted.
2. Real life happens. Please PM me if you know you'll be offline for longer than 24 hours.
3. Use ** to convey thoughts; "" for conversation; bold for shouting. Other ideas or preferences welcome.
Sep 19, 2015 5:45 pm
What are your thoughts on OOC content within the game thread? I usually just do something like:

OOC: Blah, blah, blahbity, blah.

Also, if you haven't seen the "notes" feature it's a pretty cool way to leave private notes within a thread (as opposed to PMing stuff to people).

szemely sent a note to Merlin
Sep 19, 2015 9:48 pm
Cool with Ooc idea.
I'm going try the notes feature. But can't find it... Help!
Sep 19, 2015 10:01 pm
http://i.imgur.com/5Hpb9u1.png

You can just click on the icon above and enter a name and it will put the 'notes' stuff in the post. It should look like this:

[ note="Merlin"]Only you should be able to see this, Merlin.[ /note]

(Only without the spaces after the '[' characters.)
Sep 19, 2015 10:10 pm
So like this...

Merlin sent a note to szemely
Sep 19, 2015 10:14 pm
I think as the GM, you'll be able to see all of them.

szemely sent a note to Merlin
Sep 21, 2015 6:22 pm
It's fairly common to use bold for normal speech here on GP, but I like your suggestions for conventions, too. For myself, I'll try to separate speech as a new paragraph, and I may also put it in blue so that it stands out better. Also I tend to use italics for thought.

"So this would be me talking..."

"This would be me SHOUTING!"

*...and this would be me thinking*

How's that?
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:23 pm
Sep 21, 2015 6:37 pm
Personally I just write posts the way I would see it printed in a physical book. I put a line break in between the narration and any OOC text. But I will basically follow whatever format is agreed upon by all, or whatever he GM dictates. :-)
Sep 21, 2015 6:50 pm
Perfect, space-seeker, you got it! Go to the top of the class. I might not use colors though... I always find that a pain in the ass.
Sep 21, 2015 6:52 pm
I would love to post colors, but it's a pain to do that when posting from a phone so I'm fine to keep it the way you have listed it above for speaking vs. thoughts.

Does anyone want to have any pre-set bonds or should we wing it based on our interactions?
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:53 pm
Sep 24, 2015 12:42 am
How would Szent address Roland? Calling him Roland doesn't seem right, but I'm not sure something like "master" does either.
Sep 24, 2015 12:44 am
Maybe there's an honorific to their faith, like "reverend" or "sir"?
Sep 24, 2015 2:35 am
I like Sir... Sir Roland, perfect for a knight.
Sep 24, 2015 2:37 am
Done!
Sep 24, 2015 5:27 am
Sorry for lagging behind in posts... been having an insanely busy week. And that's really saying something, as I am someone for whom a 100-hour workweek is routine and unremarkable!
Sep 24, 2015 9:19 pm
No problem. My plan is to keep things ticking over unless there's a need to wait for everyone, such as combat.
Sep 27, 2015 12:50 pm
(Ooc: as a general comment to everyone, when I ask for a die roll please allow me to determine the outcome. As DM only I know the DC, and as many actions are simultaneous if no initiative has been rolled, then I should have the prerogative to interpret the outcome of the round. This is particularly important in play by post)
Sep 29, 2015 3:34 pm
Whoops- just realized Vicious Mockery requires a saving throw, no rolls on my part.
Sep 29, 2015 3:41 pm
So, I wondered about what players think about building into this game an easy way to advance. My thought is everytime a thread is completed each character gains one XP. When you get 3xp you advance a level. It would be very accelerated advancement, but I think applicable to the slow pace of pbp.

What do you all think?
Sep 29, 2015 4:27 pm
That sounds fine to me, PbP is slow to advance as is, so a quicker way is always welcome
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.