Targos

load previous
Jan 9, 2019 5:52 pm
Zenithral spends his time gathering the names of all who died in the battle and any family they had, or friends if no family. He then starts carving totems for each who passed away, using wood from the wreckage of the archer tower. Each totem has the person's name, the Targos emblem, and some other carving representing the town, their military rank, or other roles. Given his limited time and the number of deaths, he works quickly and simply.
Last edited January 9, 2019 5:55 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Woodcarving - (1d20+8)

(16) + 8 = 24

Jan 9, 2019 6:22 pm
It takes a moment to work some moisture back into her mouth. "Enough!" Al calls finally, hands raised. When the orcs have quieted she nods. "I'm glad. The orcs deserve to have better than what they do, but you have to earn it. It will be harder than killing for it, but it will be more successful, I promise.

You will need to stay here for a while. I know it's cold, and you're hungry, but you're strong. Prove to these people you can be reasonable and trustworthy, and I'll speak to the chief of this people for you. Remember, this is your last chance. Do not sully the name of your chieftess."

Al considers, then points to Morrugh. "You come with me, Morrugh." She approaches and cuts his leg bindings, then puts a hand under his elbow to help him stand.

"Easy, Isherwood." Alalla holds a hand out to the archer. "These orcs answer to me, now. They won't give you any trouble. If they do... they answer to me now."
Jan 9, 2019 6:32 pm
Gelarith's lips pull back further, revealing jagged, oversized teeth in a mouth that is far too wide. "Well, I took advantage of a chance that came my way. It's just business. The market for what the Lady wants is already tight, and it's not any easier with you around."

Gelarith leaps forward surprisingly fast, teeth clamping down even as his fingers elongate into claws.
OOC:
Vince takes 34 damage unless he casts Shield.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/45/cb/28/45cb28f6ec9bace6c76bb590dad08144.jpg

Rolls

Gel vs Vince (3 attacks) - (1d20+9, 1d20+9, 1d20+9)

1d20+9 : (11) + 9 = 20

1d20+9 : (9) + 9 = 18

1d20+9 : (5) + 9 = 14

Dmg to Vince (slashing, necrotic) - (2d10+5, 4d6)

2d10+5 : (35) + 5 = 13

4d6 : (5655) = 21

Jan 9, 2019 7:19 pm
Surprised by the attacks, Vincent returns in kind. "If you were a little smarter, supplies wouldn't be so limited you fool."

With those words Vincent hits Gel hard with his skinny black longsword. The follow-up kick misses. However, Vincent points over Gel's shoulder and says, "What's that?"
Distracted briefly, Vincent is able to run out the door and down the stairs.

(Gel needs to make a DC 14 con save or be stunned next turn, 1 ki spent for deft strike, 1 ki for stunning strike, 1 ki for disengage action on bonus, and 1 ki to get +2 AC for the next round)

HP:45/87
AC:20
Last edited January 9, 2019 9:32 pm

Rolls

Sword and fist vs Gel - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (17) + 10 = 27

1d20+10 : (4) + 10 = 14

Damage plus deft strike, stunning strike - (1d10+5, 1d6)

1d10+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d6 : (4) = 4

HD from previous short rest - (1d8+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jan 10, 2019 12:52 am
Gelarith spits a curse as Vincent's blade strikes true, and he bleeds a strange green ichor onto the floor. Still, the spindly wizard shrugs off the hit with uncanny ease and gives chase.

Vincent makes it into the common room - which is empty but for a lone villager cleaning the floors. The warlock almost makes it to the door outside when it bursts into flame. Getting through that lingering inferno will be painful. Behind him, Gelarith chuckles at the foot of the stairs.
OOC:
Vince's turn!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/95/85/fa/9585facf5e9032c51a05db0f6ef090b4.jpg

Rolls

Gel Con save - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm
With a tired grunt, Ug nods to the dwarf. Though he may be too exhausted to look closely, maybe his strength paired with the dwarfs keen eyesight, they might be able salvage quite a bit. Ug trudges over to the nearest baddie, and begins helping roll bodies over.
Jan 11, 2019 12:22 am
Isherwood relaxes slightly, but his eyes stay on the orcs as Marrugh stands.

For his own part, Morrugh walks calmly, not bothering to massage ankles sore from tight bindings. He moves to stand in front of Alalla. He is taller than her, but not so tall as Keggruk. Still, any if the militia would appear spindly twigs next to him. "How can I please Thur'Kafaz?"
Jan 11, 2019 1:55 am
Alalla suppresses a frown as she looks up at the orc and brushes away the anger welling up again over the height, and everything else, that she has lost.

That in turn reminds her of what she gained. Al isn't really sure what the top of her head looks like, but just in case she casually pulls some dreadlocks from the side of her face up to cover the top of her head and the horn buds she knows are there somewhere.

"I need to talk to the mayor- chief- of Targos on your behalf," she begins as she knots the dreads in place, "and then I have other business. I want you to come with me. Just follow and be good. Seeing that an orc can be obedient and peaceful will help me to secure some stability for our tribe and hopefully set us on the path we need. Baby steps, but important ones." Alalla examines the man, sizing him up once more and letting him do the same. She doesn't doubt she could take Morrugh down easily despite being smaller, and she wants him to know that.

So much posturing in orcish culture... Once she would have been ashamed of how easily it comes to her. Now she is grateful. Papa is right. I haven't lost everything.

"It's a test, Morrugh. One of many you and the others will have to face before the end. And here's another." Alalla gestures for him to follow her, then walks up to Erevain. "Erevain, this is Morrugh," she says, still in orcish. "Morrugh, this is Erevain Blacksheaf. He is my husband." The hand on her sword hilt is casual as she watches Morrugh's reaction, but it would only take an instant for that to change.
Last edited January 11, 2019 2:03 am
Jan 11, 2019 6:41 pm
Morrugh's frown seems to take up his entire face and clearly exposes his thick tusks. "You want me to be a dog, loyal and obedient? To take small steps like a runt child? You want me to show the humans that this is how an orc behaves and must be treated?" Every muscle tense with strain, Morrugh nods curtly. "Very well, Thur'Kafaz. If this is the cost to be free of our gods, it is one I will pay."

He eyes Erevain up and down, noting that this elf warrior possesses greater physical strength than most of his kind. "But if the cost is to also mate with an elf, know that I already have a mate. That is one bond I would not have broken."
Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm
"Marrying Erevain is a choice I made for myself. I won't be making that kind of choice for anyone else." Alalla watches the orc grapple with his instincts and anger and nods, impressed. "Very good. I'm pleased with your restraint. But no, not loyal like a dog, Morrugh. Like a person. Like you were to your mate just now."

Al sighs and gestures for Morrugh and Erevain to follow her. She heads to the inn to look for the mayor. "We'll have to take more licks than I'd like right now- you are invaders after all, and now I've stuck my neck out for you- but my goal is for orcs to be considered equals, instead of monsters. It will be hard.

"The people in this town, and elsewhere, don't think orcs are capable of anything other than killing and death, and after last night, for good reason. It's certainly all Gruumsh made us for. Breaking his hold on us means nothing if we take what he has taught with us. We have to show them we are more. We start by acting like it."
Last edited January 11, 2019 9:08 pm
Jan 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Certain the flaming door is probably an illusion, but not willing to bet his life on it, Vincent runs into the kitchen. As soon as he closes the door behind him he casts dimension door and escapes. Picturing the square where he met Gel, Vincent appears there a moment later, casually joining the crowd.
Jan 12, 2019 6:12 pm
Despite Ug's exhaustion, he and Olap are able to recover some valuables from the battlefield. By far it is the giants who have the most coin, but a foray through the army's camp beyond the walls reveals several chests of treasure. On the bodies of various priests and chiefs, Ug finds a handful of potent healing options that are still intact.

The most valuable find is a staff that is obviously magical. The Yurtrus priest who previously owned it likely only put it to use keeping subjects alive while cultivating their illnesses, but surely a wise healer will be able to get better use out of it.

When they're done, Olap reaches up to pat the small of Ug's back (carefully avoiding the loincloth). "That looks to be about it. Ye've done good, Ug. Some of this will have to go to Targos to help with repairs, but for sure there would be no Targos without yerself an' yer allies." He gives Ug a healthy share of the treasure to keep, as well as the potions and magical staff. "Thank ye much, friend."
OOC:
Party gets:

4,000 gold
5 potions of superior healing
Staff of Healing
Jan 13, 2019 2:50 am
Vincent is certain that he has thrown off Gelarith's pursuit, but who can say when or where the strange man might show up again?
OOC:
On to the Cort residence, or is there a change of plans?
Jan 13, 2019 3:01 am
Erevain nods in support of Alalla's statements, then adds his own in Orcish. "The people of the Ten Towns have their share of bitterness for orckind, but no more than the races upon the rest of Faerûn. Your people may at first see the rugged towners of Icewind Dale to be cold and unyielding like the tundra, but if you can get past that, you will find loyal friends who will brave every ill to support you." The elf's words are solemn, but spoken with conviction. "This is possibly the best place in all the world for your people to make a true home with the other races. If you follow Alalla's commands."
Jan 13, 2019 3:03 am
Morrugh's frown does not disappear, but it does seem to grow more thoughtful. It is an odd expression to see upon an orc's face, but it is encouraging. When he finally speaks, he does so with simple finality. "We will do what we must."
Jan 13, 2019 3:17 am
"Yes," Alalla agrees. "Like continuing this absurd farce," she murmurs to Erevain, switching to his language. She shakes the weight of her responsibility off and enters the inn.
Jan 13, 2019 3:58 am
Zenithral's efforts do not go unnoticed by the people of Targos. Each home he enters in his investigation leads to heartfelt thanks for the half-elf's actions in defense of the town. Every family he speaks with is touched by his sincere concern for the townsfolk who gave their lives.

He finds the house of one Firtha Kerdos, a blind widow who lost her son at the palisade. After a short visit, she thanks Zenithral for his time and gifts him a strangely carved ball, claiming that she no longer needs it to find her way about town.
[ +- ] Minor Orb of Time and Space
When Zenithral finishes his visits and dedicates his time to carving, a man garbed in black robes approaches him. "Do you mind if I help, friend?" There is something vaguely off-putting about the man, but he seems affable enough. "It would seem that there is more than enough of this work to go around in Targos at the moment."
Jan 13, 2019 4:04 am
Alalla, Erevain, and Morrugh enter the inn to find a very distraught townsperson cowering against the wall, one hand over his face. There does not appear to be anyone else in the room, but nearby is a toppled bucket of soapy water and a red-stained mop.
Jan 13, 2019 4:08 am
"Are you alright?" Al asks as she walks towards the man. She grips her sword as she looks around the room warily.
Last edited January 13, 2019 4:09 am

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Jan 13, 2019 4:17 am
The man straightens up as Alalla approaches. "I-I-It went up-upstairs!" He points with one trembling finger, his other hand still held to his face. "I thought it was g-going to kill us all!"

Erevain draws his sword and faces the stairway, keeping one eye on Alalla. Morrugh stands with hands awkwardly bound, but from the set of his feet he looks ready to move.

Alalla notices a man's foot protruding from beneath a nearby table. It is unclothed and bloody.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.