Part 1: The end and the beginning.

load previous
Nov 13, 2015 2:46 am
"Agreed! We should probably keep his journal out of site as well then. Although..." Sven pauses as the thought hits him "...it is possible that the journal may reveal a little more about this box. Perhaps we should at least peruse it before telling anyone else about the box."
Nov 16, 2015 5:17 pm
Agreed. Let's take a look at this journal, then, together.
Nov 17, 2015 10:17 pm
The evening is cool and calm as you leave the hospital and make your way to the university. The sun set is gorgeous; vibrant oranges and reds color the horizon and for a few minutes you each feel at ease despite what you have all seen in the past few hours.

Passing by the Egyptology department, you find it dark and locked up; not surprising for this last in the evening on a Sunday. Shrugging, you make your way to Max's office. He unlocks the door, flips on the lights, and you take your seats at a small round table away from his desk. Max walks to the back of the room and turns on a small hotplate for the kettle. You all stare in silence at the leather-bound book in the center of the table, lost in your thoughts. A few minutes later the whistle of the kettle cuts through the emptiness. Three cups are laid out and tea bags, a high quality Earl Grey, are dropped in.

Opening the book you find pages filled with journal entries from June 1881 to March 1882. The ink is very faded in sections, but never so much you can't read it. A number of sections particularly catch your eyes:

A group of friends. playfully calling themselves the Dark Brotherhood held their first meeting in the early spring of 1881. Rupert Merriweather became their recording secretary. The members numbered six induding Marion Allen. the founder and their nominal leader.

You all look up to realize that nearly two hours has passed since you began reading the book. You pause to reflect.

In June of 1881 they purchased an old farmhuuse outside Ross's Corners, a place where they could conduct their experiments in privacy. Representing themselves as a student literary fraternity, they cleaned and furnished the place while Marion Allen carved special warding (protective) signs over the wooden doors and windows. At the time, the others were amused at such precautions.

There are sections dealing the attempts (all failures) at contacting the dead and spirit worlds.

An entry dated February 1882 notes Marrion's acquisition of an Egyptian artifact. A small sarcophagus containing a piece of amber entrapping a specimen of some species of arthropod. Allen is very excited as this box matches a description he found in a reference book in the library. He continues on to say that a thick book written in Latin, the de Vermiss Mysteriis explained that the creature in the box was "an aid to the spirit world" A date is then set to conduct this "experiment" in mid March.
Nov 19, 2015 5:08 pm
"Perhaps one of us should go to the library - they may have this de Vermiss Mysteriis. James, are you up for it?"
Last edited November 19, 2015 5:09 pm
Nov 20, 2015 12:05 am
James has been following just behind Swift and Lidstrom musing about all that had happened. He turns and nods at Swift. "Yes, I'm game Professor". With his right hand, James clutches the crucifix under his coat. He has never been much of a prayer, but now he offers a short one to the soul of a dead friend. He is soon distracted by the tea in front of him. Perhaps a sip or two would calm his nervousness.
Nov 25, 2015 7:40 pm
OOC:
Shall we continue to read the journal, or are we done?
Let's say that James heads to the Library - I give him a hand-written note and sign it, asking the librarian to allow him access.
Last edited November 25, 2015 7:41 pm
Nov 30, 2015 3:34 am
You are just about to move to the library when you each come to the realization that it is quite late, and the library will be closed since it is a Sunday. Taking a sip of tea, you turn back to the journal to finish the last fifty pages or so.

Journal

OOC: It is nearly midnight when you finish reading through, digesting, and discussing what you have just read. You each gain one mythos point but lose 1d2 sanity.
Dec 16, 2015 11:01 pm
Sven sits silently for a moment contemplating what he has just read. "Is this some work of fiction? It... it can't be real."

He takes a long look at the sarcophagus... "You don't suppose that is the artifact that Marion Allen was murdered for, do you?" he quietly asks Max.

Rolls

Sanity Point Loss - (1d2)

(1) = 1

Dec 27, 2015 3:34 pm
Max looks at Sven quietly for a moment, takes a deep sigh and fills his pipe, then lights it.

"Rupert is not the joking kind, and though eccentric he had his full faculties. I have... seen some things in the War, and crazy as it sounds I think Rupert has laid a heavy and real burden on us. Because he trusted us. I would bet this is in fact that artifact. And I am not looking forward to it, but we have to go to that place."

He thinks longer.

"I think a refreshing sleep is in order... Or, if we can't sleep, at least restful meditation. "
Last edited December 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Rolls

Sanity Loss - (1d2)

(1) = 1

Dec 30, 2015 11:11 pm
"I do suppose we owe our dear friend this one last favor." Sven says as he stands and stretches. "Shall we gather in the morning and discuss our plans at that time?"
Jan 1, 2016 7:26 pm
"I keep a cot here at my office, and the couch is quite cozy, if any of you want to stay here. I know I am going to - there are showers in the gymnasium to freshen up in the morning."
Jan 2, 2016 11:05 pm
"Perhaps it's best to wait out the evening here. Many thanks, Max."
Jan 6, 2016 9:33 pm
Sleeping arrangements are made and each of you settle in for the night, your minds racing with a cacophony of images, thoughts, and ideas. What has Rupert gotten us into? you each think more than once. Eventually, you drift off to sleep. Although restless, you awake the next morning feeling mildly refreshed. Max makes tea as you decide your first course of action for the day.
Jan 13, 2016 1:41 am
"Do we have any idea of what we might find if we travel to this abandoned old house?" Sven says between sips of tea.
Jan 15, 2016 1:41 am
Taking a bite of a nice biscuit, Max says,
"No idea, but I have a feeling that this is a serious matter. Shall we make inquiries with some of our Egyptologist colleagues? I would also like to see if the library has a copy of this mysterious tome -- though if they do I may have to call in a favor to see it."
Jan 18, 2016 4:41 pm
Max will walk over to the Egyptology department, deliver the sad news about Rupert, and discreetly show the sarcophagus to a mutual friend there to ask if he knows what it is. He will not mention the journal or the house.
Jan 21, 2016 2:51 am
Sun filtered though the light shades in the hallway of offices for Miskatonic's department of Egyptology. At 9.00 am, it was a bit early for most of the faculty to be in but Max was certain Erman would be in. Johann Peter Adolf Erman; professor of Egyptology, expert in the grammar of the Middle Kingdom. Even in his seventies, Erman came to the office early and worked a full day.

"Max? Is that you?" Adolf said, obviously surprised to see him. After the small talk, Max quickly produced the sarcophagus and placed it on a small table in front of Erman, littered with pieces of papyrus and note paper. The old man's eyes lit up immediately and quickly began looking the piece over, deciphering the symbols. "Middle Kingdom for certain," he mumbled, turning the piece over in his hands. "Yes, Middle Kingdom." He stared intently at the symbols inside the box, a quizzical look etched into his wrinkled skin. "These markings here, on the inside. They are not any form of Egyptian," he said, looking up at Max. "Where did you come across this piece?"
Jan 29, 2016 12:21 am
Max cannot help himself and tears up.
"Rupert gave it to me shortly before he... before he passed on. I didn't know if it has any significance or if there is anything I should do with it."
Max doesn't want to say much but also needs the help.
"Any thoughts on the markings? I cannot place them either."
Jan 29, 2016 9:39 pm
Adolf lowers his head in respect upon hearing of Rupert's passing. "I am sorry," he states after a minute. He stares out the window of his office for a minute before turning back to the box. "I can't be certain of most of it," Adolf says after a few more minutes of inspection. "However, this marking here looks like the sign of the Mu an occult group in the Pacific islands." he furrows his brow at the markings.

"I believe I have read about this box," he says, rising and going to a shelf near by overflowing with books. He picks a slim volume off of a shelf up high and flips through the pages. "There!" he exclaims, laying the book down to a page with a sketch of the box. "The best theories state that this box belonged to Nophru-Ka, a would be usurper to the throne. It is believed the box was given to him by the gods themselves containing spirits he could call upon to aid him in his taking of the throne. He flips through a few more pages before resting the book down yet again. "It was supposed to contain an insect preserved in amber but the box was last seen in 1874." He points to a few lines of inscription on the right side of the box:

Seeker of Wisdom, Seeker of Setheth

Deliverer of the Slaves of the water,

Bearer of the spirit of NarLothhotep,

child of Thoth, Seeker of Wisdom

"Not the most uplifting verse," he adds with a wry smile.
Jan 30, 2016 5:23 pm
"May I?" Sven says, asking permission to leaf through the book. "I wonder if there is any information concerning the insect to be found."
OOC:
Might give us a clue as to what we may be facing later on?

Rolls

Library Skill (75%) - (1d100)

(17) = 17

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.