As melodramatic as possible...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 13, 2019 4:25 am
Hey Everyone!

Just found this site today and am so happy to be a part of it!
I am into reading, listening, and all things that are far too fantastical for casual conversation.

In the real world I am a man of little consequence.
Being a part of worlds that can experience real change because of my actions as opposed to the current one we are in is a call to adventure that cannot be ignored! Invitation accepted :)

I DM and play D&D 5e and am Keeper for Call of Cthulhu 7th for my players on Roll20 and in person.
However, lately my life has been so insanely busy that I have not been able to keep up with any time with friends doing any hobbies involving more than a few hours super occasionally.

I am embarrassed to admit that it didn't even occur to me that this could even be an option until earlier this week when I was wracking my brain to think of a way to connect with my friends with no time available to me.
The thought of PBP on discord seemed like a unpolished gem of epiphany so I began looking up if others do it in pursuit of tips to improve my game and... it is totally already a well established thing... I feel foolish for thinking otherwise.
Humble apologies, new friends.
But now I can get better for my players and play at the same time! So, happy accident!

I am looking to get into a D&D game and a CoC game right now to learn the ropes to host my own in the future!
Let me know if you require a boisterous creep.

Love,
Uncle
Jan 13, 2019 4:38 am
Welcome UncleCreepy! You may be even more surprised to learn that play by post predates the internet, but it has certainly benefited from the tech. Hope you find some great games; 5e gets a ton of love here, and CoC pops up frequently.
Jan 13, 2019 5:13 am
I definitely am! This may sound silly but, how?
Was it like playing a notebook to friends to take home over night?
As far as veterans go I am certainly a newbie to the hobby.
I am happy to learn more every day!
Thank you for the warm welcome Qralloq :)
Last edited January 13, 2019 5:35 am
Jan 13, 2019 5:36 am
Thank you Naatkinson, good to meet you!
Jan 13, 2019 5:40 am
Play By Mail. People would send in their moves, maybe weekly, and then the GM would aggregate it all and send a reply. This evolved to Play By Email, and into forums.
Jan 13, 2019 5:53 am
Holy cow.
The thought of postage alone is mind boggling.
But, I do understand doing what you have to to be with friends.
Did you participate in one such game, Qralloq?
Jan 13, 2019 5:55 am
Welcome to the community!
Jan 13, 2019 6:06 am
Welcome, UncleCreepy. New games are starting here all the time and I hope you find one you want soon.

FYI, chess was played by mail as far back as the 19th Century. Gamers Plane is keeping up a grand tradition of asynchronous fun.
Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pm
UncleCreepy says:
Did you participate in one such game, Qralloq?
No, although I had IRL friends that did participate in play by mail. The closest I did play was in a Wild Mage only (AD&D 2e) Play-By-Email campaign in the mid-90s.
Jan 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Thank you for the welcome Jabes_plays_RPG and CancerMan! Happy to be a part of it and good to meet you!

Rpgventurer, that is wacky. I mean, no disrespect to any soul and I have played a lot of fun games of chess, I don't think any amount of boredom would prevent me from going to find someone in person to lose to. That is an interesting way to play for sure. I hope good friendships are formed because of those. That is the reason I engage in such games IRL and could only picture that part being hard to achieve!

Qralloq, jeez, people need to play! I just picture so much time spent on the description of something a player is doing and, what frequently happens in my home games, didn't have a full understanding of the circumstances. A novel of a letter or email only to write it again XD

Thanks again for making me feel welcome all!
Jan 13, 2019 5:33 pm
Hello and welcome!
Jan 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Thank you Kalajel! Pleasure to meet you!
Jan 14, 2019 4:59 pm
I welcome you here as well as to the game I am running. Hope you enjoy your time in both.
Jan 14, 2019 5:02 pm
Thanks, Viking. You are a sweetheart ;P
Jan 14, 2019 7:09 pm
Hello and nice to meet you!
Jan 14, 2019 7:28 pm
Back at you Librarian!

Also, you can PM me your answer if you would rather it not be public, I saw your game that was something to the effect of what looked like a middle or high school student game?
I then assume you are the actual Librarian of that school, if I am correct.
Then, on that compounded assumed knowledge, I wish to offer you a hearty virtual pat on the back and standing round of applause!
I run games for both kids and adults and know that kids need it most.
You are doing a good work, fellow.

If I am completely wrong, ignore the whole and just take the compliment of, I am sure that cat in your picture agrees with me , you being a fine dandy GM!
Cheers!
Jan 20, 2019 3:09 am
Welcome UncleCreepy. I’m one of those old schoolers that started running play by post games as early as 1989. On here I have three Cthulhu games running and would be happy to bring in fresh meat . Drop me a DM if you’re interested.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.