Dorn's Deep

load previous
Feb 26, 2019 1:28 pm
Zenithral stands, wavering then fires to aid Vincent, shooting carefully as to weaken, but not kill them. (Adept 1 takes 5 damage without Deflect Missiles)Careful now...don't want to... One of his arrows nearly hits one of the adepts in the chest, but the adept deflects the arrow with blinding speed. (Adept 2 takes 16 damage without Deflect Missiles) Zenithral goes pale. Foolish overconfidence, boy. Going to get someone you don't want killed with that sad bow of yours... Erestor's voice.

Zenithral lowers his bow and allows his companions to finish the job more tactfully.

53/98 HP
AC 17
Last edited February 27, 2019 4:05 am

Rolls

Longbow 1 vs Adept 1 - (1d20+10)

(4) + 10 = 14

Curving Shot vs Adept 2 - (1d20+10)

(17) + 10 = 27

Damage - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Longbow 2 vs Adept 1 - (1d20+10)

(17) + 10 = 27

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Longbow 3 vs Adept 2 - (1d20+10)

(7) + 10 = 17

Damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Feb 26, 2019 4:02 pm
Striking true, Vincent hits first with his glowing blade and again with his knee to the groin. Looking back at the group he warns them that the others will be back soon.

Adept 1 takes 17 non-lethal damage.

HP:72/87
AC:18(+2)
Ki:4/7
SS:0/2(+1)
HD:14/14
Last edited February 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Rolls

True Strike - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

1d20+10 : (11) + 10 = 21

Unarmed attack - (1d20+10)

(11) + 10 = 21

Damage, non-lethal - (1d10+5, 1d6+5)

1d10+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d6+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Feb 26, 2019 7:02 pm
Hearing two satisfying thuds behind him, Ug has a pretty good idea what spell Ras had just cast. With a smile and another burst of speed, Ug dashes through the ancient hallways until he finally reaches the entry hall. Approaching the edge of the lava pit Ug gingerly unwraps the ominous statuette. Not too familiar with magic, Ug still has a very strong impression that this thing is evil. Holding his loincloth over the bubbling inferno, Ug let’s one end drop and The trusty cloth unravels and drops the statuette into fiery abyss.
Feb 27, 2019 3:31 am
Ug watches the statuette fall into the lava below. As it turns in the air, he gets a good look at the engraved figure: a beautiful, powerful woman with wings, eyes burning with fiery light. Her hands are bound at the wrist with a crimson cord.

The bloodstains that mar the idol's surface erupt into flame, and then the wings. It hits the lava and begins to sink, and then the whole object shines with blinding light. The last thing Ug sees are the idol's hands raised out of the lava...

The red cord breaks, and for a single moment Ug thinks his own brain might as well. He feels a rip inside, a force of will compelling him to seek his own purpose above all else...

Cast aside the ties that bind. Friendship. Fidelity. Fealty. The only truth that matters is the one you define for yourself. Why let others make your decisions for you? Do what you know to be right, and let the rest burn...

Almost, the idea takes permanent root in Ug's brain - but in an impressive display of willpower he forces it out of his head.

When his vision clears, there is no sign of the idol in the lava below, but he is not alone. Maralie squats nearby, eyes carefully averted from Ug's naked self). She had been trailing the party, hanging back far enough that if trouble were to occur she could get away. She must have followed Ug back to this room.

With Ug's business taken care of, Maralie silently accompanies him back to the party.

Rolls

Ug wisdom save DC 16 vs madness - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Feb 27, 2019 3:53 am
The remaining Ilmatari are put down in short order and bound with rope. When all is said and done, the party has a full score of prisoners. Eight of the Ilmatari, including Perdiem, lie dead.

The living men and women twist and moan in their unconscious state, as though some delirium has taken them. Then, all at once, they all rest easy, as though relieved of some great burden. A few minutes later, Ug walks back into the room, Maralie at his side.
Feb 27, 2019 4:05 am
Alalla looks up at Ug as he returns. Her eyes are still alight, and she reminds Ug of the statuette before the fire fades and her eyes return to their usual dark colour.

"The thing is destroyed? Good. Hopefully these people won't be a threat now that it's gone, but I'm glad they are bound all the same. Good thinking, Reòthadh." She turns to Zenithral. "What should we do with them, and the dead?"
Last edited February 28, 2019 6:31 pm
Feb 27, 2019 4:08 am
"I...I'm not sure," Zenithral says quietly to Alalla. "They're in no shape to go anywhere...One of us could stay, but I hate to reduce our numbers. How many can you and Ras heal to working order?"

"As for the dead, the practical side of me would say toss them in the lava, but I imagine at least some of the acolytes here would like to perform some sort of ceremony or ritual when they're well."

Zenithral approaches Brother Gus, tentatively. "Brother, do you know what happened here? Do you know what all of that was? Everyone seemed to be...twisted. Not acting for themselves."

"And what would you have us do with those who perished in the conflict?" he asks, solemnly.
Last edited February 27, 2019 4:21 am
Feb 27, 2019 4:24 am
With the threat passed and the idol destroyed, Brother Gus falls to his knees, and then to the floor. Shivering, weeping, he is inconsolable for several long minutes before he is able to form words.

"It was a nightmare! An absolute perversion of everything Ilmater stands for.... Betrayed by our own... Perdiem. Poquelin. I could not resist and I... I killed my own brother. Murder... I murdered my own brother!"

He chokes off into more sobs. Getting more out of him now will be difficult.
Feb 27, 2019 4:31 am
"I can get up maybe... ten? Maybe? But they aren't going to be feeling great."

She looks at Brother Gus, unsure of what to do. "The statue was of Zariel, Belhifet's- Poquelin's- boss. I could... sense..." Alalla grimaces slightly at the word, "that it was affecting them, but I'm not sure how."
Feb 27, 2019 5:23 am
"Even the most vile worshiper deserves the rites of their people; as for those yet living, mayhaps one could determine which would be a dwerf's friend and which would seek a dwerf's end. Who here is known, and who here can vouch for these heretics?"
Last edited February 28, 2019 3:25 am
Feb 27, 2019 3:50 pm
Pain strikes Zenithral's heart as he realizes the true nature of this situation. This had been going on far longer than he had realized. What else had they had to endure in the name of the One Who Endures?

For the moment, Zenithral forgets his companions and simply sits with Brother Gus in silence and solemnity. After several minutes, he speaks. "You did not murder your brother. Your body may have held the weapon, but your soul is not to blame. He would not want you to blame yourself. But we shall, indeed, mourn his death."

We are taught to take suffering upon ourselves to help others, because suffering it is limited, Zenithral thinks to himself. But does that apply to mental torment? Tiny tendrils cling onto Zenithral's shoulder and the half-elf looks up to see Fluphy staring at him.

"Brother Gus. Did...did you ever feel...joy? While with your brother?"
Feb 27, 2019 8:27 pm
"'Deserve?' Hardly." Alalla thumps her glaive on the stone floor. "We'll waste no time performing rites for evil people, and I'm hesitant to spend it on the good ones. We need to be moving. As for the living," Alalla gestures to Brother Gus, "only he knows these people. We'll have to see if Zenithral can get through to him."
Last edited February 27, 2019 8:29 pm
Feb 28, 2019 2:03 am
Brother Gus nods as the tears roll down his face. "Yes. Like any family, we sometimes squabbled. But my twin brother, we shared many happy times in the service of... of..." The poor man doesn't seem able to finish voicing the thought.
Feb 28, 2019 2:48 am
"A dwerf knows not the inner heart of those fallen, mayhaps they sought to do what they knew best. They died serving their faith, one can still admire their devotion, however misguided."
Last edited February 28, 2019 3:25 am
Feb 28, 2019 2:51 am
"The One Who Endures," Zenithral finishes for him, using one of Ilmater's titles, rather than his actual name. He could tell Brother Gus' experiences had tainted the name for him.

Zenithral whispers a short prayer to aid him in consoling Gus. (Casts Guidance)

"Tell me about one of those times. Perhaps one last year. Or maybe a time shortly after you both started serving. It doesn't matter. Whatever comes to mind. If you allow it, my friend here might be able to help you." He pats Fluphy on the head. "While pain can help others endure, remembering joy can help us heal."
Last edited February 28, 2019 2:52 am

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+7)

(1) + 7 = 8

Guidance - (1d4)

(3) = 3

FLUPHY HELPS - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Feb 28, 2019 3:18 am
Alaska sighs. "Most were under a spell, I'm certain, and were probably good people before, but even so we are short on time. Do what you like now, but we may have to admire their devotion as we walk." She looks down at the scarred corpses. "If they were ever true Ilmatari, they would understand the sacrifice. If not, that's too bad. The living take precedence over the dead."
Feb 28, 2019 3:23 am
"A prayer to send them on their way is the least a dwerf will offer."

The sorcerer pulls up his hood and begins a short prayer to Marthammor Duin, the dwarven god of wanderers and nature.

"May yer cloak defend these from the elements...."
Last edited February 28, 2019 3:24 am
Feb 28, 2019 4:55 am
Alalla watches quietly, then hesitantly bows her own head. She moves her white cloak aside to touch a small iron disk on her belt. The etched image of a right gauntleted palm facing outward reflects her own armoured hand. She flounders for something to say for a moment, then gives up with an irritated grunt. Hopefully a moment of silence for the dead is acceptable to Torm and Ilmater.

She leaves Reòthadh and begins preparing to move on.
Last edited February 28, 2019 6:30 pm
Feb 28, 2019 1:06 pm
When Reòthadh finishes his prayer, the temperature about the place noticeably drops. There is a swirl of air, and then a figure appears before the sorcerer, robed and hunched, with a pale wisp of a beard that floats from beneath the cowl. The companions can make out some dim facial features - a crooked nose and wrinkles about the eyes.

The ghost holds out a white hand toward Reòthadh, and a voice both deep and faint rumbles forth in Dwarvish. "Who walks these halls and speaks the name o' one o' our gods?" The tone is more curious than accusatory, and in a sudden rush of memory Reòthadh realizes that he knows this dwarf spirit - or at least that he did know him once, in life. His name was Norlinor.

The spectral dwarf blinks his eyes as he looks at Reòthadh, as though trying to clear his vision.
Feb 28, 2019 6:16 pm
Brother Gus holds his hands over his eyes and takes a shuddering breath. "I..." Hovering just over the man's shoulder, Fluphy reaches out a thin tentacle to touch the man's cheek. His shoulders immediately slump as a memory, crystal clear, comes to him.

"Little Natalie is at the temple door, a bundle of cloth in her arms and tears on her face. Ferg and I let her in and ask what is wrong. She opens the cloth to reveal a small furry creature - a young rabbit. Its back leg is twisted at a terrible angle, and a tiny sliver of bone shows through the skin.

Natalie sniffles, the poor thing. 'I was trying to catch us some food,' she says. Thing have been hard for her since her mother passed away a few months ago. And her father... there is not much help we can give him now, except to ease his last days... She says, 'But I don't want to eat this rabbit. He's just too small, and he's so scared and hurt. Is there anything you can do for him?'

I look at Ferg, and everything we might say to one another is shared in a single glance. Ferg gently takes the bundle of cloth, and I lead the girl to a seat. 'Here now, dry your eyes. You don't have to eat him if you don't want to. We'll see what we can do.'

Ferg lays the bundle down on a table and takes a good look at the shivering creature. I open a cabinet and gather some cloths, a splint, then a needle and thread.

The girl dabs at her eyes as we start to work. 'I'm sorry to ask,' she says. 'I know there isn't much to go around...' It's true. With the illnesses running rampant through Kuldahar, we are all growing short on medicine, bandages and food. Not terribly so, but enough to cause some concern.

I wet a cloth and clean the wound while Ferg holds the tiny animal still. 'It is alright child,' he says to Natalie..."
Brother Gus' voice cracks. "Ferg says, 'Never fear to be kind...'"

His face crinkles as fresh tears fall. It takes him a moment to recover, but the memories draw him on.

"We stayed up all night with that little rabbit, and with that little girl, teaching her about Ilmater and pain and love. Her father died the next day. She came often to the temple to visit that rabbit as it recovered, and the three of us were able to have many long talks as we fed and cared for the animal.

Ferg and I were never happier than when doing what we could to help others, serving the people of Kuldahar and any travelers who passed through."

Brother Gus smiles through his tears. "Ilmater guided us to ease the suffering of many."

Fluphy pulls away from the man, leaving him sighing quietly with his eyes closed.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.