Talk to me about Pathfinder

load previous
Feb 20, 2019 9:46 pm
Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad that it is fun, despite that focus.
Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm
There was an interview with Paizo a while back on a the rpg.net irc (also reposted on a blog called the hard-boiled GM, or something like that. As part of the Q&A, the designers were asked why they said that Pathfinder didn't fix things like the caster/non-caster imbalance (and in same cases made it worse) and their response was, "It ended up being harder than we thought so we just didn't try."

It shows.
Feb 21, 2019 8:33 pm
Falconloft says:
There was an interview with Paizo a while back on a the rpg.net irc (also reposted on a blog called the hard-boiled GM, or something like that. As part of the Q&A, the designers were asked why they said that Pathfinder didn't fix things like the caster/non-caster imbalance (and in same cases made it worse) and their response was, "It ended up being harder than we thought so we just didn't try."

It shows.
Well, being based on the premise of keeping fans of 3.5e, it would have been hard to fix anything that big.
Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm
That's true. But Paizo said the reason it was going with Pathfinder instead of making stuff for 4e was so that it could fix stuff like that. That's why I stopped playing it. It's more unbalanced, more unwieldy.

There were ways to fix it though that could have been done without a LOT of problems. Both 4e and 13th Age fixed that caster imbalance in ways that Pathfinder could have (although 4e introduced new problems).
Last edited February 21, 2019 8:59 pm
Feb 21, 2019 8:59 pm
Falconloft says:
That's true. But Paizo said the reason it was going with Pathfinder instead of making stuff for 4e was so that it could fix stuff like that. That's why I stopped playing it. It's more unbalanced, more unwieldy.

There were ways to fix it though that could have been done without a LOT of problems. Both 4e and 13th Age fixed that caster imbalance (although 4e introduced new problems).
Interesting. Most opinions seem to say that it's a bit more streamlined and a bit better balanced.
Feb 21, 2019 9:15 pm
Personally, I am wholly uninterested in perfect balance, which is why after playing 4e, I felt no reason to adopt that system. It's not that I look for loopholes, it is merely that if it is perfectly balanced, then your character creation choices don't matter and a whole part of the 'game' part of roleplaying has just been eliminated.
Feb 21, 2019 9:27 pm
That's what got me away from 4e too. Still, when you've got a party of 'normal' builds and one or two 'optimized' builds you have to present the group with lethal threats just to scratch the two tougher ones (and when one of those is a specialized caster it's even worse), so it gets really hard to make balanced encounters.
Last edited February 21, 2019 9:28 pm
Feb 21, 2019 9:28 pm
Balance is nice to a point but only so that it does not make a players characters useless. As long as people are having fun and can enjoy their PC, it is not as important. I see it as a problem only when certain classes get to a point that cause them to be able to do everyone's job in the party better than the one's created for that role. A GM should be able to modify or create adventures that give each PC a role to do in it and have their moment to shine.

As a GM I do tend to discourage min-maxing of characters and work with my players on whole character development which includes the areas that don't have stats as well.
Feb 21, 2019 9:30 pm
I prefer to be able to focus on story as well. But these players I was talking about weren't even TRYING to min-max, they just wanted to play a class that seemed cool to them. Unfortunately, they picked ones that were inherently stronger, and so they were getting bored and I was actually trying not to one-or-two-shot other characters.

(Don't get me wrong, I don't mind killing characters. I just want to do it through their choices, not my encounter math.)
Last edited February 21, 2019 9:31 pm
Feb 21, 2019 9:36 pm
I've been lurking in this thread for a while and would like to chime in. 😁

I've been playing Pathfinder for a few years, and if I had to say which game is my favorite system, then I'd probably pick it. As for imbalance reasons, hmmm... See, I'd say most of us don't see it as something bad, necessarily. In fact, I would argue that the fandom tends to see it more as a feature than a bug. Independently of the reason that Paizo may have created Pathfinder for, I feel like it relatively became its own thing. Undeniably based and inspired on 3.5, but still its own thing.

As for the caster vs martial imbalance itself, I do think it's healthy/wise to define why it exists. I'm 80% that if we put a, idk, lvl 15 fighter and a lvl 15 wiz on the same room, the fighter does have a very good possibility of emerging victorious. The imbalance lies, I feel, not on how many die can the wiz throw when he maximizes and empowers his fireball, but because the game theoretically rewards specialization. And casters - Many casters powers lie on the flexibility their spellcasting grants them. See, while a Rogue needs a fairly high Climb/Acrobatics to jump a large ridge or scale a dangerous mountain, investing a lot of skills points on those respective skills, the Sorcerer can simply cast fly. A powerful enemy that it's clear that they won't be able to fight? Dimensional Door. Good luck to the Paladin whose speed is only 20ft. Casters can trivialize a lot of challenges.

And I insist - I don't think that's necessarily something bad. Because while the Wiz has to prepare, guess what spells are going to be useful, keep track of their spell slots and all of that, my fighter can still reliably hit enemies for 60 points of damage. And for the good or for the bad, combat is something that is normally very prominent in PF.

All of that said and considered, what really made me fell for the game was its setting. See, it got me to a point where if I'm not playing in Golarion, I'm not sure that I'm all that interested. And not only with PF as well but in most systems made for generic fantasy, unless the idea of the game is something relatively different(Like Warhammer Fantasy). And I've heard other people say similar stuff about Golarion as well. x)
Last edited February 21, 2019 9:36 pm
Feb 21, 2019 9:37 pm
Having never played it I cant really comment but I do hope to give it a go one day.
Feb 21, 2019 9:38 pm
That is where fudging the rolls come in. I try not to do it much but if a stupid roll is going to derail a game, throw it out or instead of it being so bad throw in a complication instead of a kill.

I sometime have enemies focus on the stronger characters as they are not dumb and use tactics. So if they can tell a PC is stronger than another or demonstrates it, I have no trouble sending extra bad guys at them. It frees up the other PC to try some stuff as they have more options while making the other stronger PC sweat as they have to deal with more attacks to just stay alive.
Last edited February 21, 2019 9:38 pm
Feb 21, 2019 9:41 pm
The reason that the imbalance between fighters and wizards bothers me a bit is that, if the wizard wants to, he can be a better fighter than the fighter, a better rogue than the rogue, etc just by selecting a few spells. With the number of spells that a wizard can memorize at high level, it's not hard to have something on hand for every occasion.
Feb 21, 2019 9:44 pm
The one time I played in a high level D&D campaign (3.5), we found that our double wizard, one monk team was unstoppable... if we had a day to prepare. If we were attacked by something powerful but unknown, we'd probably be spending 25,000 gp for at least one True Resurrection.
Feb 21, 2019 10:13 pm
You have to be creative sometimes as a GM. I was running a Rolemaster game and one of our players could cast invisibility and used it a lot. One time I had him enter a dungeon passage where a guy wearing glasses holding a crossbow sat at the end guarding it. Well he decided to just walk up and grab the glasses off him. What he didn't know is I gave him glasses that could see invisible objects, He was surprised when a crossbow bolt sunk into him halfway down the hall.

Another way in pathfinder to keep mages from recuperating their spells is to not give them the rest to do so. After a couple times of that and they regulate their spells usage more just in case. Have their spell book stolen and other things to make them less likely to just blow their spells or at least make them learn a variety of spells because they need to be more careful in their selection. Use things that cause them not to be able to cast such as silence or other means to make it hard for them to cast those spells. Trust me you can always beat you players as a GM. The goal is to make sure that all can have fun playing. Using my RM example above the player loved it as I got him good but he enjoyed the challenge.
Feb 22, 2019 10:29 pm
Lux001 says:
All of that said and considered, what really made me fell for the game was its setting. See, it got me to a point where if I'm not playing in Golarion, I'm not sure that I'm all that interested. And not only with PF as well but in most systems made for generic fantasy, unless the idea of the game is something relatively different(Like Warhammer Fantasy). And I've heard other people say similar stuff about Golarion as well. x)
The setting is definitely worth using.

As far as comments from others, they're not wrong, but for me, I'd rather put my time into prepping story, and be able to rely on the mechanics to do their thing without me having to regularly intervene. If I have to spend time thinking about why an encounter is going to break, that's less time I have to think about plot, and plot is where I like to live.
Last edited February 22, 2019 10:31 pm
Feb 22, 2019 10:33 pm
Viking1031 says:
You have to be creative sometimes as a GM. I was running a Rolemaster game and one of our players could cast invisibility and used it a lot. One time I had him enter a dungeon passage where a guy wearing glasses holding a crossbow sat at the end guarding it. Well he decided to just walk up and grab the glasses off him. What he didn't know is I gave him glasses that could see invisible objects, He was surprised when a crossbow bolt sunk into him halfway down the hall.
This type of creativity is great. But it doesn't help fix Pathfinder, I'm afraid. With about half of all possible builds in PF, the caster wouldn't care if a crossbow was fired at him at all b/c it would have no chance of doing anything even if it hit him, which would be near-impossible.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.