Slice of life game: Harry Potter or Persona

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 19, 2019 10:17 pm
I find the idea of a game that's a little more slice of life with fantastical and adventure elements really charming. Does anyone have any good suggestions for systems? I've been poking around Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine shy of actually buying it, and I think it'd work especially well for a play-by-post game, more about the characters, their interactions, and players chasing their own goals.

I've always wanted to run a Harry Potter ttrpg game and I think this might be a really good one for a literary-focused pbp game. I've also been working through my first Persona game and love the slice of life elements. Would anyone be interested in either if I put something together?

Long time GM, queer-identified and super open to exploring LGBTQ themes in games. Haven't run anything on here yet, but I really want to!
Feb 19, 2019 10:50 pm
I'd be up for that, definitely!
Feb 19, 2019 11:22 pm
Oh wow, I'd be super into it! Never played Chuubo though, but I am a willing player 😁
Feb 20, 2019 1:18 pm
That sounds like a really cool idea. I don't know anything about Persona but I would sign up in an instant for a Harry Potter slice of life game!

I've never played Chuubo's, though, but I'm willing to learn
Feb 20, 2019 2:27 pm
I've been wanting to run a HP magic school game, too, but balked at the setup. There is an online suggested mod for Bubblegumshoe (teen mystery rpg) for Harry Potter that looks interesting. As far as I can tell, the Gumshoe games don't involve dice rolling, but PCs spend points from their pools to find clues, so it's more resource management than adversarial.
Feb 20, 2019 2:39 pm
That also sounds like a pretty interesting idea
Feb 20, 2019 2:57 pm
I'd be on board for an HP game, but I am not familiar with the system.
Feb 20, 2019 9:26 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, Qralloq. I'll look into Bubblegumshoe too. I have a "bad" habit of buying ttrpg books/systems and then sitting on them, but I've always wanted to do a Harry Potter game. That definitely seems to be where people's interests lie, so now that I know I'd have some cool players I'll start really thinking seriously about it!
Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm
aphelion says:
... I have a "bad" habit of buying ttrpg books/systems and then sitting on them...
You and me both, friend.
Feb 20, 2019 11:58 pm
Ooooh, you know what would be fun? If you made a questionnaire of sorts and we were supposed to answer IC, so you can designate the characters to their proper houses.

Maybe people are more interested in playing as a member of a specific house only, but still, it's not like it's hard to make a character more typical to one of the four. Just throwing some ideas around. x)
Feb 21, 2019 2:43 pm
Not much up on the Potterverse for knowledge. But if you want someone to just RP in the setting what all books do we need? Hopefully not the hardcover. D=
Feb 21, 2019 2:52 pm
When in the Potter timeline are you thinking?
Feb 21, 2019 4:56 pm
Ooh! Remnant! Get reading! The first couple of books are a little on the juvenile side, in terms of the writer's voice, but she really starts to nail it from book three onward.

In terms of timeline, I was thinking either the year directly after the Battle of Hogwarts, with the magical community still reeling from what happened and trying to rebuild. I think that would be a really interesting backdrop for young witches and wizards. Or I was thinking starting it the same year as The Cursed Child, so the Potter, Malfoy and Granger-Weasley children could be tertiary characters, but there's nothing stopping other kids at Hogwarts getting into misadventures.
Last edited February 21, 2019 4:57 pm
Feb 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Minus the Time Turner fiasco I hope...
I think year after Battle could be fun.
Feb 21, 2019 5:01 pm
The way the books are written is actually pretty great. They're written in third person, but it's always in Harry's point of view, so the books become more and more complex as they progress. I have not read Cursed Child and I don't think I want to, from what I hear.

If I were to run a game like this, I'd probably do one of four things as far as timeline:

1. During the first war. Dealing with the house politics during the rise of Voldemort would be awesome
2. During Harry's time at Hogwarts. Lots of lore and characters already created for that time period and you could display that other things were happening outside of Harry's life.
3. The year after the Battle of Hogwarts. Seeing the fallout over the events of book 7 would be fun.
4. During the time of Harry's kids. Being able to explore how the school has changed during that time would be fun as well. Less focus on dark wizards in the outside world and more focus on the school experience.
Feb 21, 2019 5:18 pm
I previously had an urge to run a game called, Kill Harry Potter! I envisioned a mission, doomed to fail, of a few wannabe deatheaters of Hogwart's students, who want to make a play for HP in order to impress the big V. It would be known in advance that the quest would fail through any manner of last minute deus ex machinae, but it would be fun to see how far the players could get.
Feb 21, 2019 5:19 pm
I really like going to school one year after the Battle, though the time during Harry's kids seems fun as well.

How old are our characters going to be? i.e What will be our starting years?
Feb 21, 2019 5:30 pm
I like any of the year after the battle, the rise of Voldemort era, or the 19-years-later era.
Feb 21, 2019 5:42 pm
To me, the most interesting time would be shortly after the events of the books, maybe two or three years later so the events are still fresh in everyone's memory but normality is already returning to the world and school. I'm pretty much fine with any time period, though
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.