Chapter 2: Our Dad is on a Hunting Trip...

Feb 28, 2019 8:42 pm
The door opens just a crack and a handsome man with shoulder length hair peers out. You can see he has a loaded hand crossbow at his side that he's trying to make fairly hidden, "Yeah? What do you need?"
Feb 28, 2019 9:06 pm
"You a hunter-brother?" asks Krogir-Vaam, his large maul resting casually on his shoulder.
Feb 28, 2019 11:52 pm
Seraphina looks expectantly at the tall human with the dreamy eyes head, waiting for him to answer KV's question.
Mar 1, 2019 1:33 am
Feldty likewise waits, but less expectantly and more with the anticipation of information.
Mar 1, 2019 3:42 pm
"Hunter-brother? Yeah, I guess you could say that," he says.
Mar 1, 2019 4:52 pm
Krogir-Vaam nods. "Yeah, well, I did say that. Anyway, we's here looking for a giant, and we's told you seen one."
Mar 1, 2019 6:37 pm
Seraphina is eager to jump into the convo. "It has two adorable puppy dog eyes," she adds, but then realizes the words came out of her mouth were not the ones she meant to say out loud. Nonetheless, she recovers like a pro.

"And two heads."
Last edited March 5, 2019 4:08 am
Mar 5, 2019 2:51 am
The tall man raises an eyebrow at Seraphina's comment and opens the door, "Come on in," he says. Inside, you see a shorter man with short hair laying on a bed with a mug of ale next to him.
Mar 5, 2019 2:52 am
The shorter man sits up when you enter, "I heard what you said. About the giant? Maybe you should leave hunting to the professionals, it can get dangerous."
Mar 5, 2019 6:25 am
Krogir-Vaam puffs out his chest. "We is professionals," he says. "We're with the... um..."

As an aside to Seraphina, he asks, "Who were we with, again?"
Mar 5, 2019 8:34 am
"Ebongarde Tower!" she jumps in without skipping a beat. "We are Drek Hammerfist's own squad! What, you think Drek Hammerfist would send a trio of nobodies after a two-headed giant?"

"And if you're such professionals, how come you haven't killed the giant yet, hmm?"
Mar 5, 2019 9:52 pm
The shorter one, Dean, shakes his head, "We only told Drek about the giant so people would stay away," he grumbles, "There's something worse going on around here. We've found a lot of animals out here missing their hearts and drained of blood."
Mar 5, 2019 9:52 pm
Sam nods, "That sound like any giant you ever heard of?"
Mar 5, 2019 10:51 pm
"No," answers Krogir-Vaam.
Mar 6, 2019 5:23 pm
"Yeah, that's what I thought," says Sam, shaking his head, "I think you'd all better head back. We'll take care of this, don't worry."
Mar 6, 2019 5:41 pm
"Thing is, we don't get to go back," says Krogir-Vaam. "We's supposed to find this giant and brings back their heads, and Drek said nothing about coming back empty, so we can't. How's about you take us to the giant, and when they's dead you can figure out the heart-eating while we take the heads?"
Mar 6, 2019 7:03 pm
"Yeah! How 'bout you do that? And if you think we're too weak to handle it, just try us."

Seraphina cracks her knuckles and tossles her hair a bit.
Mar 11, 2019 5:18 pm
Dean sits up and gets off the bed, "Alright, I've heard enough," he says, "If you wanna go out there and get yourselves killed, you go ahead. We saw the giant about a mile north of here..." he begins, giving detailed directions as to what they've seen so far and where to find it.
Mar 11, 2019 5:23 pm
Krogir-Vaam nods with each direction given, as though mentally picturing* the environment based solely on the hunter's words. "Right, we'll take a look. One thing, though; does it really have two heads? I mean, like two giant heads, and not like, one giant head and one itty-bitty head, or one normal giant head and some birthmark or something that looks like a face?

"Anything else it's got two of?"

* in crayon, obviously.
Last edited March 11, 2019 5:24 pm
Mar 13, 2019 8:21 pm
"Two heads, two arms, two feet, one body," Dean says, getting irritated, "I didn't check under its loincloth, but I'm guessing it's only got one of those, too."
Mar 13, 2019 8:24 pm
"Cool, cool," says Krogir-Vaam. "Welp, thank you for your time, on behalf of the Ebongarde."
Mar 13, 2019 10:12 pm
Once the door closes, Seraphina pats KV on the shin. "Nicely done KV! I really liked how you handled the information gathering in there. Okay, now we're off to find this one-testicle giant! I'll keep my eyes open for giant tracks - shouldn't be hard, right? We'll try to get the drop on him."

Rolls

Tracking giant, adv from ranger's favoured terrain - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

Mar 21, 2019 4:33 am
Krogir-Vaam follows along, his eyes on their surroundings while Seraphina focuses on the trail.
Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm
Feldty follows along, not saying much so as not to distract Seraphina.
Mar 21, 2019 8:30 pm
After a few hours of traveling, Sera eventually finds some huge footprints moving through the area. Following them, spot a huge two-headed monster through the trees ahead. It is sitting on the ground with a finger up one of its noses.
Mar 21, 2019 8:55 pm
"He's big," whispers Krogir-Vaam, stating the obvious.
Mar 21, 2019 9:39 pm
"Okay we found it. Now what? I don't think this is gonna do 'em in." She raises a puny sling bullet. "Maybe we could trick 'em! Like, make a big trap and lure him in."
Mar 21, 2019 9:44 pm
Krogir-Vaam brightens. "Ooo, good idea," he says, then he frowns. "What kind of trap? I don't know if I can dig a pit deep enough that quick."
Mar 24, 2019 1:37 am
I do have some magic I learned that would allow me to create a silent vision, for maybe ten minutes? It could work to lure the beast. Is there some big ravine we could have him run over? Feldty says, squinting to look at the creature.
Mar 26, 2019 8:59 pm
"Did we pass by a ravine?" Krogir-Vaam thinks, trying to remember their surroundings and whether any such terrain was passed by on their journey.
OOC:
Using KV's Outlander background feature.
Mar 26, 2019 10:35 pm
Seraphina scrambles up a tall tree to scan for such a feature, or something similar.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Mar 27, 2019 11:38 pm
You aren't able to find any ravines nearby no matter how much you search. Perhaps if you lured it deeper into the mountains...
Mar 28, 2019 12:25 am
"Ain't got no rav-eens," says Krogir-Vaam. "Can you make the quiet vision do stuff, maybe distract the two heads so's we can get in and knock it silly?"
Mar 28, 2019 1:02 am
"Ooh, nice idea. Hey, there are some big trees around here. What if we knock one down on top of his heads! That would knock him silly! We could chop it some on one side like a beaver does, make it easy to push down."
Last edited March 28, 2019 1:03 am
Mar 28, 2019 2:12 am
Krogir-Vaam nods. "Okay, let's head back a bit so my axe doesn't make too much noise for the giant to hear, since he's got four ears to choose from."
Mar 28, 2019 4:40 am
"That's some genuine wisdom there, KV. Genuine wisdom. Let's go find a good spot to set this up!"
OOC:
What kind of rolls would you like us to make for this trap, Naat? I added a couple of bare d20 rolls to the post in case.

Rolls

d20 1 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

d20 2 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Apr 2, 2019 12:56 am
If you go some distance away, you are able to find a nice tree to start whacking. KV expertly works the wood, chopping out just enough to put the tree into a position to easily break. The trap is set.
Apr 2, 2019 12:59 am
Krogir-Vaam nods. "Okay. I'll hide over there and when the tree falls, I'll run up and give the giant a good whack to make sure he's dead."
Apr 5, 2019 2:23 pm
OOC:
What's the plan to lure the giant over here? Initiate it when you're ready!
Apr 5, 2019 3:20 pm
Feldty pulls a tuft of fleece off his tunic, and rubs it between his fingers muttering some words with his eyes closed. In front of the giant, a 7 foot tall sheep appears and begins grazing on the ground. Carefully, Englefeldt tries to get the attention of the giant with the sheep, leading it to the drop zone.

Casting silent image as a first level spell.
16/16 HP | 10 AC
1st 2/3
Apr 5, 2019 4:02 pm
Krogir-Vaam rests his maul somewhere within reach while he holds his handaxe. He readies himself to finish the tree-chopping when the giant comes into place.
Last edited April 5, 2019 4:03 pm
Apr 5, 2019 5:09 pm
Seraphina hides in the bushes within firing range of the sheep illusion with her sling, taking Feldty's suggestion to camp away from where the tree will fall.
Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm
The two-headed giant looks confusedly at the goat and then into each others' eyes. Shrugging, it stands up and begins to follow the huge sheep, licking its lips. It isn't too long before the giant is in position.
Apr 15, 2019 6:04 pm
Krogir-Vaam slams his axe into the cut tree, trying to send it onto the giant's head.

Rolls

Athletics? - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Apr 15, 2019 8:18 pm
Once the tree falls, if it hits the mark, Seraphina will leap out, let a wild scream fly and a stone to follow it!
OOC:
Initiative roll included.

When my turn comes about, bonus action to cast Hunter's Mark and then attack with a sling stone (Crit, 18 damage).
[ +- ] Hunter's Mark
[ +- ] Stats
Last edited April 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Rolls

initiative - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Sling attack - (1d20+8, 1d4+3, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (20) + 8 = 28

1d4+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

1d6 : (2) = 2

Crit dice - (1d4, 1d6)

1d4 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (5) = 5

Apr 18, 2019 1:43 pm
The two-headed giant looks confused as a tree falls on its heads and then a sling stone slams into the side of his head. Dazed and confused, the creature tumbles to the ground and wails in the language of giants, "Why you hurt me? What goin' on?"
Apr 18, 2019 5:12 pm
Krogir-Vaam picks up his maul and charges forward with a roar. "You's been sucking out hearts and blood!" he shouts in Giant. "Them hunters what saw you, says you... s'posed..."

KV slows his charge, ending at a stop as he rests his maul on the ground like a farmer contemplating his crops. "Wait. They never said you was the one doing it. They says they use you to keep folk away."
Apr 18, 2019 5:17 pm
The giant, bloody and bruised now, looks very confused, "Sucking out... heart and...? Me no do anything to nobody! Me live out here all by myselfs!"
Apr 18, 2019 5:29 pm
"You don't talk to the hunters over there?" Krogir-Vaam says. While he speaks in Giant, KV's body language has relaxed as though participating in casual conversation.
Apr 22, 2019 6:11 pm
The giant shakes his head, "Seen dem 'round, but we don't talk to dem!"
Apr 22, 2019 6:51 pm
"Hang on, let me get me mates," says Krogir-Vaam. He turns to Seraphina and Englefeldt, and says in Giant, "Hey! It's cool! C'mon out and chat!"
Apr 22, 2019 7:00 pm
Englefeldt comes out cautiously, not wanting to draw much attention to himself, knowing that the giant could easily turn him into a hotcake-like version of himself in an instant. He waves a hand gently.

Feldty. he says, pressing his hand to his chest.
Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm
Seraphina scrambles out of her ambush nook (after hiding the sling, of course).

"Um, hiya there... I'm Seraphina. Sorry about bonking you with that rock..."

She is genuinely curious about this gentle giant.
Apr 22, 2019 8:42 pm
"So we got words that you was seen in the area," says Krogir-Vaam, translating to Common if necessary (or speaking in Common if the ettin can understand). "And our boss sent us out here to see if those words were true. Which they are. Uh. I guess our job's done?"
Apr 23, 2019 1:00 am
Seraphina whispers into KV's and Feldty's minds:

We're supposed to bring back his head in order to get the reward! No head, no reward!
Last edited April 23, 2019 1:00 am
Apr 23, 2019 2:14 am
"Huh. Right," says Krogir-Vaam. "I guess we're supposed to bring back a head. Since you got two of 'em, you could probably go without one, right?"
Apr 23, 2019 5:58 am
"If it wouldn't be too much trouble. We could take the ugly one!"
Apr 25, 2019 4:50 pm
The giant looks confused, "Uh... we kind of need da heads!"
Apr 25, 2019 4:56 pm
Krogir-Vaam blinks and looks confused. "Seriously? I mean, look around, how many folk you see walking around with two heads? I say get rid of one, and nobody bothers you again."

The goliath smiles, "Besides, I think you'd do better without the extra mouth to feed, if you know what I mean. Less arguing, for sure."
Apr 25, 2019 5:02 pm
The head on the left looks thoughtful at this, prompting the one on the right to look at it in annoyance. The right arm raises up and slaps the back of the left head, "Don't even think about it!" it growls.

After glaring at each other for a few moments, they turn to look at you and shake their heads.
Apr 25, 2019 6:41 pm
Maybe we can get something else's head?

"Hey giant, you see anything else going on strange around here? Somebody's sucking out hearts and blood and pinning the blame on you!"
Apr 29, 2019 3:12 pm
"Umm... We seen some animals around dat been dead," the giant says, "Dat what you mean? Dey was like skellytuns."
Apr 29, 2019 4:27 pm
"Good, that's a start," says Krogir-Vaam. "About where's you seen 'em?"
Apr 29, 2019 9:37 pm
"And what's yer name? I'm Seraphina!" She waves in case he can't see her.
OOC:
I love this guy and his skellytuns!
May 1, 2019 5:57 pm
The left head says, "My name is Gob!" at the same time the right head says, "My name is Bog!

The heads look at each other, "Dey was over here!" it says, standing up, apparently over the fact that a fully-grown tree fell on its head.

After about 20 minutes of walking, you come across a withered husk of a deer.
OOC:
I'm quite enjoying playing the role of a very dim two-headed giant :P
May 1, 2019 8:32 pm
"Weird," says Krogir-Vaam, kneeling at the carcass to poke at it with his handaxe.
May 1, 2019 10:53 pm
Seraphina will check for tracks and other signs of where the culprit went.

Rolls

Survival (adv b/c forest) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (9) + 3 = 12

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

May 2, 2019 12:42 pm
Feldty kneels down to inspect the deer, trying to remember any magical studies that would give a clue as to why it looks this way.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

May 8, 2019 9:01 pm
As KV pokes at the corpse, he sees that it's been pretty well drained of all of its fluids.

Seraphina spots some large cat-like tracks in the area, clearly tipped with large claws.

Feldty can't seem to think of anything that might be capable of doing something like this.
May 10, 2019 12:50 am
I daresay I've never seen anything that would do this, in anything I've ever read. That said, it certainly seems more delicate than this creature we were sent to find seems capable of, yes?
May 10, 2019 12:58 am
"But, how does it get dried-up like that?" Krogir-Vaam says, pointing to the carcass. "There even a knife cut for the heart or something?"

Rolls

Nature? - (1d20-2)

(16) - 2 = 14

May 10, 2019 1:52 pm
With the way the deer is laying, you can't see a hole, but when you inspect it closer, there's clearly a hole about 3 inches in diameter in the center of its chest. It looks like something was jammed into its chest and was used to suck it dry.
May 10, 2019 4:34 pm
Krogir-Vaam gasps, "It's like a big-tooth vampire... with only one tooth!" Looking up at the ettin, he asks, "None of ya have any teeth like that, right?"
May 10, 2019 6:14 pm
The giant opens its mouths and shows its teeth, none of which match the wounds in the deer.
May 10, 2019 7:29 pm
"So, now what?" says Krogir-Vaam to the audience in general. "We got a yellow-bellied deersucker running around here somewhere."
May 10, 2019 10:47 pm
Seraphina also opens her mouth to demonstrate it couldn't have been her. Satisfied that she beyond suspicion, she muses out loud. "Well, these tracks might belong to the deersucker! Cat-like. Cats have more than one tooth though. Still, it's worth checking out."
May 10, 2019 10:50 pm
The goliath looks up at the ettin. "You seen a cat with one giant sucky-tooth?"
May 15, 2019 2:57 am
What a droll creature! A cat with one giant sucking tooth? What kind of demented wizard is responsible for that atrocity!? Feldty says, cursing in his head at the hubris of his own colleagues, unknown though they may be.
May 20, 2019 7:34 pm
The giant shakes their heads, "Nope," it says, "Not us. Sounds scary!"
May 20, 2019 7:45 pm
Krogir-Vaam turns to the party. "Maybe we gotta talk to them hunter-brothers again," he says, then looks at Gob and Bog. "You wanna come with?"
May 28, 2019 7:30 pm
Gob and Bog talk to each other for a minute quietly and then both nod, "Let's go!"
May 28, 2019 7:40 pm
Krogir-Vaam nods and grabs the deer carcass, ready to lug it back to the hunters' home.
May 29, 2019 4:09 am
"Hey! What if we bring Gob and Bog straight back to town! We could show Drek their heads and then be done the mission! I mean, he didn't say we had to cut off the head, just bring him the head! If Gob and bog walk into town with their heads on, and everyone sees they're nice, we should still get our 300 gold! It's the law!"
May 29, 2019 4:09 am
"There is absolutely nothing that could go wrong with this plan!"
May 29, 2019 4:19 am
I don't - I mean maybe - umm. That just may work. Feldty says, face scrunching trying to figure out how that plan is wrong but he just can't.
May 29, 2019 5:43 am
"Works for me!" says Krogir-Vaam.
May 29, 2019 7:13 am
"Gob and Bog, will you come to town with us and show everyone you're not dangerous?"
May 31, 2019 2:50 pm
Bog and Gob don't look like they quite understand why anyone would find them dangerous, but they nod anyway, "Yup!"
May 31, 2019 7:35 pm
OOC:
We headed to the Wandchesters first, or back to Drek? I'm okay with either.
Last edited May 31, 2019 7:35 pm
Jun 1, 2019 4:17 pm
OOC:
Also okay with either. Let's do Wandchesters first because KV said it first.
Jun 3, 2019 12:43 pm
OOC:
I'm good with the Wandchesters. If nothing else, it will expose them as vile anti-ogre racists.
Jun 10, 2019 6:53 pm
You head back to the Wandchester cabin and knock again on the door. A few moments later, it cracks open to reveal Dean, "What are you doing here again? I thought I told you that we're busy."

He doesn't appear to have noticed the giant off to the side of the group.
Jun 10, 2019 9:06 pm
"Yeah, real busy," nods Krogir-Vaam, obviously inconsiderate of anything the brothers might be doing inside. "Look, we went poking around that place you said to go, and we didn't find nothing strange what caused by giants. So can you do us a favor and repeat for us again what it was you found with all them animals missing hearts and blood?"
Jun 17, 2019 2:01 pm
With a sigh, Dean backs off and lets you in, "Well, it sounds like you're not going to back off on this, so we might as well let you in on it."
Jun 17, 2019 2:09 pm
Once you're in, Sam pulls out a journal and begins flipping through it, "Well, according to the lore..." he begins, and proceeds to go over all the lore they've been able to dig up on the creature, which appears to be a large cat who's jaw can unhinge, allowing a large spike to emerge and pierce the chest of another creature and suck it dry.
Jun 17, 2019 2:48 pm
"So why didn't you guys kill it yet?" Seraphina boldly throws at the Wandchesters.
Jun 17, 2019 4:12 pm
As Sam pulls out a book, Feldty brightens considerably. VERY interesting indeed! How did you capture this lore, exactly? Where did you learn it all? Do you take notes on all things you find out? he says, energetically enthused by the prospect of more things to read.
Jun 17, 2019 6:09 pm
Krogir-Vaam says, "You guys go inside, 'cause I'm kinda big and that shack looks a might small. I'll listen from out here." He proceeds to wait outside with Bog and Gob.

"You hungry?" asks KV, taking out two... make that three servings of rations. He holds out two to share with the ettin.
Jun 27, 2019 5:02 pm
Dean's face darkens when Seraphina throws out the bait and he points his finger at her, "You listen here you little..."
Jun 27, 2019 5:16 pm
Sam rolls his eyes, "Oh calm down Dean!" he says, annoyed by his brother's temper.

Turning back to Feldty, he shows him some of the book, "This is our dad's," he explains, "He's a hunter as well. We hunt monsters for a living, so we scour old libraries, folk tales, and anything else we can to find out what's true and what's not."
Jun 27, 2019 5:17 pm
The ettin happily takes the rations and eats them, "We was hungry!" both heads say simultaneously.

After a moment of silence, it asks, "Why you travel with smalls?"
Jun 27, 2019 6:58 pm
Krogir-Vaam stares at the rock-hard bread from The Stone's Throw bakery, his teeth having left gnaw marks that made little progress. He shrugs and uses the butt of his handaxe to try and hammer off a chewable piece. "The smallest one, she saved my life," he replies, matter-of-fact. "The other not-so-small-but-still-smaller-than-us may not look it, but he's strong, too. I used to think that only the biggest were the strongest, but those two got what it takes. And after spending time with 'em out here in the wild, I don't think I could've survived long if it weren't for them."
Jun 27, 2019 9:14 pm
Seraphina would throw down with Dean in a heartbeat, but the thought makes her blush slightly.
Jun 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Fascinating, truly fascinating. I too learned much from books passed down to me from a teacher. So many things we thought we knew that we didn't know! For example, did you know that only a few hundred years ago, it was thought that evocation magic was just a weird bastardization of conjuration magics?! To think, there were actually people that thought that way! Feldty says, laughing to himself as if these topics were normal for everyone to think about.

Anyway, with your lore and books, does it mention anything about how to find this weird stabbythroat cat creature? Specifically a way to find it and NOT get stabbed in the chest and sucked dry like a prune?
Jul 15, 2019 10:24 pm
Sam shakes his head, "Sadly, no," he says, "I wasn't able to find anything specific that kills it better than anything else. So I guess we just go in and take a stab at it..."
Jul 17, 2019 1:17 pm
Well then, in that case, let's be on our way! We can add to your lore book when we best the beast. Feldty says, getting more and more excited about the prospect. What do you think Seraphina? Are we ready to go?!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.