Act I: A Distant Glimmer of Hope

load previous
Jan 14, 2015 1:26 pm
Seyyal's heroics had paid off. The man was safely pulled back unto the stairwell and though the action had further shaken the groaning structure, all seemed well again. Both Seyyal and the young man stood for a moment to catch their breath and calm down. After a brief moment Seyyal decided she can wait no longer on the unsteady structure and ordered the pair down the steps. Each step and each passing moment proved treacherous and adrenaline floods the body with each rattle and groan of the metal which protested their every step. The man fell behind Seyyal now, trusting her connection with the gods to guide them to safety below. When Seyyal stepped off the last step onto the darkened metal footpaths below the young man sighed with relief and practically jumped off the structure and onto the ground below. Panic was still evident in his face and he turned to Seyyal and spoke, "Thank you so much, I just need a moment to compose myself, if you feel we can."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mujahid and Vizim were both forced to brace themselves on the opposing railings as the structure shook and rattled when Seyyal had pulled the young man back onto it. The pair held tightly and both could feel the rush of adrenaline at this new danger. Despite this Mujahid kept a very calm demeanor. This attitude was common of Mujahid and almost expected. He has developed a reputation for remaining calm in the face of any calamity and as such he made a good soldier and an even better leader. When the structure finally seemed to calm Mujahid looked over his shoulder at his companion, "Watch your footing, this stairwell is in need of maintenance and I cannot fix you should you fall." The pair swiftly, albeit carefully, proceeded down the walk way and reached the ground level shortly after Seyyal. Both Seyyal and the young man stood there in the pale light of one of the tentacles breathing heavy and watching Mujahid and Vizim come off of the stairwell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biiliik had finished her morning rituals. They were time consuming, but she had learned of their importance in her time with her mentor. She also found them relaxing and they helped her focus, which she knew would be much needed today. Yesterday's riots had been an increase in activity over the last few weeks and she had a gut instinct that a crescendo was coming. Biiliik was no stranger to violence, but the weeks of fighting and policing had taken its toll on her body and had taken her attention away from her true love of hunting. The previous night was fraught with poor sleep and frequent awakenings, perhaps because of physical discomfort, maybe because it was morally punishing to fight with those who would be your brothers. Or perhaps it was because she could not sleep in her own bed. Biiliik had been largely responsible for helping keep order down by the tanks and as such has been sleep in a bedroll in a small maintenance room near the tanks. It allowed her quick response time if a problem arose, but it was not as comfortable as being home. Just as she finished her head wrap, she could hear workers yelling and chanting already. The clang of metal on metal rang out throughout the darkened lower floor and already she knew this would be a long and difficult day.
Jan 15, 2015 4:41 pm
Vizim looks around, eyes wide. He's not entirely shocked, but he doesn't have quite the demeanor Mujahid has. Taking a second to himself, he regains his footing, grasps the railing firmly, and stands firm. He follows Mujahid, keeping his eyes open for any injured... and danger.
Jan 15, 2015 7:54 pm
Gathering her gear for the day and attaching it to her belt and wrappings as she went, Biiliik nearly sprinted to the sound. Too soon, she thought, didn't they need rest, as well?
Jan 15, 2015 9:42 pm
Seyyal looks to her companion then back at the Vizim and Mujahid as they reach the bottom of the stairs, "Do you know these two?" She says quietly. Then, to the newcomers, she speaks loud enough that they could hear, "Who are you and what is your business here?" She uses her tone and posture to convey to them that she is a figure of authority - just in case her attire was not enough.
Last edited January 15, 2015 9:42 pm
Jan 20, 2015 4:05 am
Vizim raises a open hand as a sign of greeting. "Hail. I am Vizim, physician. I am here to assist Mujahid's soldiers, as a healer."
Jan 20, 2015 3:35 pm
"Assist soldiers?" Seyyal stresses with a tone that suggests concern, "I am Seyyal Daima." She leaves her name to do its work - after all, it is not her responsibility to tell others of her station - and the attire of a priestess says quite a lot as is. Either they will defer to her properly, or they will not and that will tell her something about their intentions. "Why are there soldiers down here, and what need to do they have for a physician?"
Last edited January 26, 2015 5:23 pm
Jan 26, 2015 3:14 pm
Mujahid stood silently as Seyyal and Vizim spoke. During the conversation he focused his gaze on the priestess and said little. Seyyal could feel the pale blue numenera eye looking into her very soul, or so she thought. He did not avert his gaze at any point nor did he speak, choosing to allow Vizim to explain the situation. Even after the long awkward silence since Seyyal's last query did he only stand silently. He of course knew full well who Seyyal was, and had she not always been adverse to conflict, despite her caste, he would have attempted to conscript her as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biiliik's thoughts were bombarded by worry and doubt. She knew she was a capable warrior but she could not help but feel overwhelmed by the daily chore of fighting her own people. Wondering how they could continue to cause such a riot everyday and so early she raced quickly along the dark and steam filled hallways of the lower levels. As she approached the chamber that contained the water tanks she could hear the rumbling of the crowd grow louder. Someone spoke through a voice amplifying numenera device about change and oppression. The clanging of metal did not, contrary to her initial instinct, resemble the clash of weapons, but instead just general rowdy noise making caused by perhaps pipe being banged against the tanks or walls. Upon reaching the main chamber Biiliik saw what was happening. Upon the catwalk near the tanks stood a man calling out to the crowd of workers below. Many of the workers cheered and listened as others caused general mischief below. A few warriors stood nearby the tanks ready to defend if needed and a group of engineers worked feverishly to repair the collapsed staircase leading to the catwalk above. Clearly the workers has managed to outmaneuver the warriors this day. Biiliik knew this would happen, as the worker population far outnumbered the warriors and she knew it was only time that the warriors would make a mistake through fatigue and be beaten to the punch. Biiliik knew nothing good would come of this day.
Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm
Biiliik, suddenly overcome by the feeling that she was late and that someone was waiting for her, began to scan the area for someone in authority. In the back of her mind, a tickle of irritation threatened to grow. How dare these insolent worms demand that which no one could give them? Couldn't they see that the engineers were working as hard as they could and the rabble was only slowing them down? She calmly pushed those feelings down, and, circling the mob, approached the other warriors, prepared to defend the precious water supply once more.
Feb 4, 2015 4:49 pm
Vizim looks around, shrugging. "I'm largely in the dark of what exactly I've been called on for, besides the generic request for a doctor."
Feb 4, 2015 5:30 pm
Seyyal turns to her companion, "Do you know either of these two? Is there anything else down here besides where we are going?" She turns back to Vizim, "What has happened?"

This feels rotten. As usual, I expect my haste to help has led me into something I ought not be involved with. Seyyal thinks to herself, My mentors would scold me if they saw me now, but they never understood my duty. Both my heritage and my chosen path command me to aid those in need - no matter the cost.
Feb 6, 2015 9:18 pm
Seyyal's companion began to look intensely uncomfortable. His brow furrowed and sweat glistened upon his face in the pale blue light. "The misguided people that my friend has become associated with have been rallying amongst the tanks, these brutes are likely here to beat them into submission. This is exactly what I want to save my friend from."

Mujahid seemed to smile at the fear the young man showed. He looked over to Vizim and back at Seyyal, seemingly choosing his words with great care. The tension in the air became palpable before he spoke, "With all due respect princess, we are here to protect the queen's interests and by extension the lives of all the workers in the hive, even if the rabble cannot see this truth. I would hope you would join your fellow warriors and protect our only remaining stock of water, but you seem to sympathize with these traitors.". Mujahid stared at the young man with increasing disdain, seemingly implying there may be more to this than Seyyal knew. As he spoke you could see his numenera eye focusing, moving, and whirring to life as if he were seeing something far away. "If you will excuse us Princess, I have injured men who need Vizim's care and we can use as many blades as possible down there."

---------------------------------------------------

Though the crowds of riotious workers had clogged the congested walkways around the water tanks, Biiliik was able to deftly maneuver her way to the soldiers that stood near the tanks. The squad consisted mostly of Jannissaries, or workers loyal to the queen and willing to fight in the name of the Hive. Among them were a few warrior caste, but they were mostly engineers and they focused largely on attempting to rig up and reweld the fallen staircase leading to the catwalks above. Biiliik knew it would be vital that the warriors regain access to the catwalks if they would protect the tanks. Already she could hear the clatterin above as several of the rebels tampered with the tanks on the catwalk above. Biiliik quickly scanned the crowd and the situation became clear, the few soldiers here were keeping the crowd away from the working engineers and the crowd was growing more daring by the moment. As more daring me,bers of the crowd advanced on the circle of soldiers Biiliik could hear the workers above continue to shout encouagement to the crowd below.. Suddenly a large metal tool flew from somewhere in the crowd and with an audible and sickening crack one of the Jannissaries hit the floor with blood running down his face. A roar of triumph came from the crowd and several workers began to beset the few soldiers near the tanks, like an unstoppable tide.
Feb 7, 2015 12:44 am
Biiliik, her hesitation squashed by the sudden and brutal anger of the mob, readies her spear and begins jabbing it at the faces in the front line of the surging mob in what she hopes is a threat that they will heed. Her instincts screaming at her to flee to the relative safety of the desert, she snarls and does her best to intimidate the leading edge of the hostile crowd. Leave them, they all deserve to die. NO!! They're dying of thirst, who could blame them. Save the water systems, save the children who would pay for these miscreants treachery.
Feb 8, 2015 1:20 pm
Seyyal's expression remains firm, "Do not pretend to know my intentions. Blood and steel is not the answer to every problem." She turns to her companion, "We'll continue on, please show me the way."
Feb 9, 2015 8:00 pm
"Blood and steel may not always be the answer, but that doesn't stop it from being used. And then we need people to stop the blood." Vizim gestures with his medical bag forward, indicating he's anxious to save lives, not take them.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.