Expedition: White Plume Mountain

load previous
Nov 12, 2015 6:20 pm
The hallway winds along for another fifty feet, and opens up into a comfortably sized room with three exits opposite where you enter. Before you, a gyrosphinx squats behind a free-form desk in the middle of the three-way fork. The sphinx is rather mangy and bedraggled, her hair in tangles. She is filing her nails, appearing thoroughly bored. As you approach she looks up, and in a monotone voice belonging to what must be the most bored receptionist in all the realm, she says "Welcome to White Plume Mountain. Can I help you?"
Nov 12, 2015 6:28 pm
Valinar steps forward, "Oh yes, you most certainly could. I am covered in the most dreadful slime now and I would just love to wash up, and a meal would be wonderful as well!" As he speaks, his lights zip around to highlight the slime that's covering his clothing.
Nov 12, 2015 6:30 pm
Boide pauses. This was certainly not what he was expecting.

At least they know they're in the right place.
Nov 12, 2015 6:41 pm
The sphinx yawns, "If you come for food and lodgings I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place. Nothing but slime, water, rumbling and grumbling around here."
Nov 12, 2015 8:44 pm
Flicking the muck off of his hand discreetly as possible Tolvaj realizes that if he doesn't catch up he'll be left behind. Sighing heavily he walks into the muck filled water and catches up to the others.
Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
"Rumbling? Grumbling? What do you mean?" Ohica tries to see if she can tell any difference between the three exits. Are they carved in stone? Is there a smell, or air currents, or noise?
Nov 13, 2015 12:13 am
Boide looks around the chamber. He uses the knob of his battleaxe as a cane and rests his elbow upon it. The trek was a bit tiring, and he is about to wipe his face with his sleeve, before he remembers the slime caked upon it.
Nov 13, 2015 7:51 am
The sphinx sighs again, "The low vibrations in the mountain. Shoulda' known you two-legs hadn't noticed it." She turns her attention back to filing her nails.

The three exits behind the sphinx are indistinguishable. There is, oddly, no smell at all coming from the other side of the room.
Nov 13, 2015 8:04 am
Eithne regards the strange creature across the room. Why does it have no scent? She lopes over to it to get a closer look.
Nov 13, 2015 8:30 am
Eithne starts to move closer, and halfway across the room she walks directly into an invisible barrier. The sphinx looks up, almost smiles, then says in a monotone voice, "This room is divided by a wall of force. It keeps unwanted guests out."
Nov 13, 2015 8:47 am
Eithne lets out a soft whine and starts pacing back and forth, trying to find the barrier's edges.
Nov 13, 2015 9:07 am
The wall of force extends the full width of the room, dividing it in half just as the sphinx said.

The sphinx rolls her eyes, "Are you wanting past the barrier then? Is that why you're here?"
Nov 13, 2015 3:14 pm
"Oh indeed, we would very much like to get past the barrier! I believe we have business further into the mountain," Valinar says, looking to the others for confirmation.

His lights are spinning in circles over his head, like a giant revolving halo.
Last edited November 13, 2015 3:15 pm
Nov 13, 2015 4:23 pm
"Well, in that case you may pass when you can answer the following riddle:

Round she is, yet flat as a board
Altar of the Lupine Lords
Jewel on black velvet, pearl in the sea
Unchanged but e'erchanging, eternally
Nov 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Valinar's face takes on that look of focus again as he mulls it over for a minute before speaking, "Is it the moon?"
Nov 13, 2015 4:30 pm
Ohica claps Valinar soundly on the back, pleased at his sagacity. *Yes, surely that's it!*
Nov 13, 2015 4:32 pm
Well, that was fast, thinks Boide. He nods approvingly, happy to have someone quick with their mind, if not their feet.
Nov 13, 2015 4:53 pm
The sphinx shrugs, "Yeah. It's the moon." Her eyes glow green briefly and pop echoes in the room. Eithne notices that the wall of force to her side has vanished and she is free to move about.
Nov 13, 2015 5:06 pm
"I knew you surface dwellers would come in handy!" Tolvaj says through a chuckle as he slowly moves towards the left most exit and peers ahead.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Perception - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 13, 2015 5:14 pm
Since the gyrosphinx seems willing to answer questions, Boide asks, "So, uh, what's beyond these tunnels?" He indicates all three.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.