Orc Cave

load previous
May 25, 2019 6:28 am
Zenithral tries to embrace his mother. He wished he could heal her tie to Ilmater and her decrepit wings. Was their state the effect of continued unbelief, or the cause of her inability to commune with Ilmater as a child? He decided it didn't matter. What mattered was that she be now free.

(Cure Wounds. She regains 4 hp)

He prepares himself for blackness.

HP 2/105
Last edited May 25, 2019 6:33 am

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

May 25, 2019 6:39 am
The light explodes out once more, and Zenithral feels his insides bake (60 radiant damage).

Just as he feels himself begin to fall, however, a cool mountain breeze touch his cheek (Zen and Ilmadia are healed 14 points).

There, in the entrance of the cave, is a large bear on its hind legs. Its fur falls away in patches, revealing Halla standing with one hand clutching the oak pendant at her neck, her other hand held up in feeble defense against the light.

Rolls

Mass cure wounds - (3d8+4)

(172) + 4 = 14

May 25, 2019 6:43 am
Zenithral trembles and smiles inside. You wonderful, wild woman. Every inch of him wanted to turn and sprint away. But no...he had to keep helping his mother endure.

(Cure Wounds. Ilmadia regains 6 hp)

HP 14 / 105
Last edited May 25, 2019 6:50 am

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

May 25, 2019 6:53 am
The light builds again, and the accompanying hum is so great that Zenithral feels a trickle of liquid down his face as his ears begin to bleed.

Ilmadia’s mouth opens wider in a hoarse scream that Zenithral can’t begin to hear.

One last hint of a breeze licks at Zenithral’s wounds, and then Halla crumples to the ground.

The last layer of chains binding Ilmadia ruptures...
May 25, 2019 6:57 am
Outside the cave, Alalla and Reòthadh feel the ground shake as a final pulse of light crashes out like a breaking wave.

Then all is still.
May 25, 2019 12:31 pm
Alalla watches, waiting for the next pulse. When the light doesn't build again she sprints over to Halla, praying Erevain is trussed up securely enough. She bends down and puts a hand over the woman's heart.

Torm, reward her bravery. Colour returns to Halla's cheeks and she stirs, but Al doesn't wait to help her get up. She quickly enters the cave, heart in her throat. Come on, you madman of a half-elf...

Al uses Lay on Hands and heals Halla 5 points. She is ready to do the same for Zenithral and Ilmadia.
Last edited May 25, 2019 12:33 pm
May 25, 2019 2:32 pm
The cave... is different. Where before there was rock and stone, now the walls and ground look to be made of rough glass that holds a muted white glow.

In the middle of the floor sits Ilmadia. She cradles Zenithral in her lap. Her son’s eyes are closed and his face is pale, but his chest moved with shallow breaths.
May 25, 2019 2:46 pm
Alalla stops and stares for a brief moment, but Ilmadia's worried eyes brings her attention back to her friend.

She kneels, giving Ilmadia an appraising look, then takes Zenithral's hand. "Aid your friend's servant, lord," she murmurs. A soft glow, almost completely insignificant compared to the blinding lights shining earlier, flows around their hands, and Zenithral's breathing becomes deeper and steadier.

Zen gains 5hp through Lay on Hands.
Last edited May 25, 2019 2:48 pm
May 25, 2019 5:22 pm
Zenithral coughs and his eyes flicker open, dazed. "We're not dead, are we?" Zenithral asks Ilmadia, seeing the spectacle around them. Realizing he probably wouldn't be in so much pain if he were, he sighs. "Mmmm..dang it..." Then he laughs and tries to push himself to his feet, stumbling over to give Halla a warm embrace, regardless of how idiotic she thinks he is.

He then turns back to Ilmadia, appraising her to see if he can see her wings or thread. "I assume it's finished? How...do you feel?"
Last edited May 25, 2019 5:23 pm
May 25, 2019 5:42 pm
Now that Zenithral's vision has returned to normal and most of the radiance dissipated, there is no sign of wings or tether. "I don't think I am going to try to move for a while, but..." Ilmadia looks exhausted and on the edge of passing out herself, but still she smiles. Though she has always had genuine smiles for him, Zenithral doesn't think he has ever seen his mother's face so bright. "I feel free."

Ilmadia tucks white hair behind her pointed ear and beams at Zenithral, her eyes full of relief, pride, and gratitude. "You shouldn't have stayed, but... I wouldn't have been able to endure it alone. And not just because of your magic."
Last edited May 25, 2019 6:57 pm
May 25, 2019 7:01 pm
Zenithral nods, pure joy filling his heart. THIS is what he was meant to do. Not only had he helped deal a major blow to Belfiet, but he had also helped save his mother. Now he just hoped it would be enough.

He turns to Alalla. "I think we're going to need some rest as well..." he tells her, gesturing to Halla and himself. "I hope my foolhearty behavior wasn't too out of line this time, but I consider this a won battle."
May 25, 2019 7:13 pm
"I'm still not sure what 'this' was, but I'm inclined to trust your judgement." Alalla puts a hand on her hip and looks between the two half-elves, smiling slightly in spite of herself. They both look so happy. She wipes it away. Her husband is still tied up outside. "So? Where do we stand? Where do we go from here?"
May 25, 2019 9:08 pm
Halla puts a weary hand to her head. "I will be fine." The words are short and clipped. "’Tis nothing an hour’s rest cannot fix. I am more concerned about what or who else might have noticed... whatever just happened. That kind of power is bound to draw attention."
May 25, 2019 9:13 pm
Arannis and Saki stare with open mouths at the glass cavern. Then their gazes settle on Ilmadia.

Arannis takes a hesitant step forward. "I..." He squeezes his eyes shut, then wraps Ilmadia in a tight hug.

Saki drops something to the ground - the red cord - then steps forward to join the embrace.
May 25, 2019 10:16 pm
Ilmadia gasps quietly as her father embraces her, and then smiles weakly with awkward reciprocation. Decades of wounds did not heal in that flash of light, but they have begun to.

After a brief moment she clears her throat and extricates herself politely. She carefully examines the people that have gathered. Many had been ready to murder each other not too long ago.

"If he cannot be convinced to escape, then I stand with my son," Ilmadia says in response to Alalla's question. "I don't know what power or skill, if any, I have left, but I will use all of it however he asks, and I will tell you what I know.

Shall I begin now? I do agree with my daughter-in-law about this drawing attention, but we will need rest before we can continue."
She clasps pale hands together tightly. "I... also want to stay here for as long as I can. Maybe Isair and Madae will return."
OOC:
During the short rest, Ilmadia writes out what she can think of about Belhifet's operations. That information can be found in the documents thread.
Last edited May 26, 2019 4:01 am
May 26, 2019 12:02 am
Outside the cave, Erevain summons Alalla’s glaive to his bound hands and manages to slice the bindings at his feet. With a whistle on his lips, he begins work on freeing his hands.
May 26, 2019 12:10 am
Al leans on her glaive. "Well I-" The weapon vanishes, and Alalla falls to the side with a guttural orcish curse. She catches herself from eating cave glass just in time with some ungraceful scrabbling. "Just one moment," she growls, then marches outside muttering more curses.

Reaching Erevain just as his hand bindings fall free, Alalla seizes him by the armour at the back of his neck. She moves to tow the elf towards the cave.
Last edited May 27, 2019 3:27 am

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+10)

(9) + 10 = 19

Erevain contested athletics - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

May 26, 2019 1:03 am
Erevain laughs. "You may be stronger than me, sharuhk, but when we dance I should still be the one leading." He steps in front of her and takes one of her hands in his, then puts another around her waist and attempts to step into a waltz. Alalla’s unyielding stature and deadly glare make him pause. "You’re right! This is no time to dance. Demons could come spilling out of Easthaven at any moment. We should make haste!" He turns to leave.
May 26, 2019 1:15 am
Al grabs Erevain by his waist, and despite his squirming and struggling, manages to get him over her shoulder. His knees gripped tightly under one arm and his hands flailing uselessly behind her, Alalla hauls her husband to Ilmadia.

"Fix this," she demands.
Last edited May 26, 2019 2:04 am

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+10)

(5) + 10 = 15

Erevain athletics - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

May 26, 2019 2:16 am
"As you wish." Ilmadia delivers a full-handed slap to Erevain's rear, breaking the spell.

She gives the elf wearing her husband's armour a thorough look over as Alalla sets him down, a muscle working furiously in the dark woman's jaw. "Have your chains been broken, too?" she asks Erevain.
Last edited May 26, 2019 10:53 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.