Easthaven

load previous
Jun 12, 2019 4:58 am
They rush beyond the light of the campfire, and find themselves suddenly running between buildings as they enter Easthaven itself.

The town always seemed forlorn and frozen, but now even with the warmer spring weather the houses are nearly encased in ice. Perhaps it is the magic of the tower, or of the devils, or perhaps even due to the nature of the frost giants inhabiting the place.

The frost giants...

It takes the companions a moment to notice that some of the large shapes ahead are not more houses, but the towering bodies of a dozen frost giants. That is not the rumble of thunder, or of a distant avalanche, but the murmuring of the Giant tongue.

One of the giants, a brute of glacial brawn, seems to be directing the others, forming them up in a defensive line complete with cover behind the nearest houses and stockpiles of boulders for ammunition.

The giants do not seem to have noticed the companions yet, but getting through them unnoticed to the tower beyond will certainly be difficult.
Jun 12, 2019 5:00 am
"Yes, this is a problem..." A quiver in Nym's voice seems to betray his excitement. Or nerves? "Trust me, as hard is this looks, its only going to get harder the longer you wait. Find a way through!"
Jun 12, 2019 5:06 am
"Joril Frostbeard!" Ilmadia hisses, pointing to the largest giant. "I would not envy the force that tries to storm that tower, not with him and his clan guarding the way. It's said that some of his closest retinue even have some clerical magic, though I have never witnessed it."

She looks between Zenithral and Alalla. "How are we to get past them? Surely a fight right now is out of the question..." Her dry tone seems to say that she wouldn’t put such foolhardiness past the two of them. "I do recall the dear paladin saying something along the lines of, 'this is the worst call I have ever made,' last time we tangled with giants."
Last edited June 12, 2019 5:10 am
Jun 12, 2019 8:54 pm
"Well..." Alalla's mind scrambles for a solution, but all she can do is set a hand on her sword.
Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm
Ilmadia rolls her eyes and pulls off her cloak. "Alright children, gather round."

Carefully hidden behind one of the houses, Ilmadia pulls some kind of dried beetle from a pouch at her belt and crushes it in her hand. Rapidly murmuring a couple arcane words, she sprinkles the insect bits across Alalla's hand-me-down cloak, and the whole thing begins to shine brightly.

"Ah!" She shoots a grin at Zenithral. "I can still do a thing or two. Now, call that sweet familiar of yours, my dear?"

Before receiving an answer she turns to Alalla. "Know any giant? I thought not. No matter, my dear." Alalla's 'dear' sounds very different to the 'dear' Zenithral got. "When I signal, use your thaumaturgy and say," she speaks a few words that sound like boulders rubbing together.
Last edited June 12, 2019 9:52 pm
Jun 13, 2019 2:50 am
Zenithral summons Fluphy. "I don't like where this is going...but I haven't a better plan..."

It seems we may need you as a diversion in order to get inside the Tower...which might mean you getting hit by boulder...are you willing? Zenithral asks his familiar flumph friend.
Jun 13, 2019 4:41 am
Fluphy poofs into existence on this plane. As it does. It seems to understand the situation perfectly. With a brave warble and a ripple of color, it follows Zenithral’s instructions.
Jun 13, 2019 4:56 am
"Why not? It's invincible!" Ilmadia puckers her lips and takes a second to gently pinch Fluphy's 'cheeks' before she returns to seriousness. She drapes the hood of the shining cloak over the flumph's body and checks to make sure it's secure. "Alright," she tells Fluphy, "when Blacksheaf shouts, fly as high as you can. The more rocks you dodge the more treats you get." She gestures to the group. "We'll want to get a bit closer first."
Last edited June 13, 2019 5:00 am
Jun 13, 2019 4:59 am
Alalla leads the way, mouthing the giantish words as she goes.
Jun 13, 2019 6:22 pm
"Alright." Ilmadia surveys the giants. "Get ready to run. Now!"
Jun 13, 2019 6:24 pm
Alalla shouts the words Ilmadia told her, using her magic to help them rumble and roar like a true giant. "Get the glowy elf!"

Rolls

Performance (w/ Help from Ilmadia) - (1d20+8, 1d20+8)

1d20+8 : (2) + 8 = 10

1d20+8 : (9) + 8 = 17

Al stealth roll w/ advantage from plan - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Ilmadia stealth roll w/ advantage from plan - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Jun 14, 2019 1:31 am
(Guidance on self; 14 stealth check)
Last edited June 14, 2019 1:32 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

Guidance - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Jun 14, 2019 3:59 pm
Alalla’s shout draws the Giants’ attention to the flumph rising into the sky, glowing like Zenithral himself. Joril points and rumbles a command, and a handful of the giants grab sacks of boulders and break away from the group, heading in the ‘elf’s’ direction. Those who remain call out jeers and bets, apparently considering this a fair chance for some sport.

With the giants distracted, Alalla, Zenithral, and Ilmadia break from cover and move forward as stealthily and quickly as they can. Easthaven’s streets were never paved, however, and with the frost giants’ presence the place has been trampled and frozen in odd formations, and so the companions are forced to slow their pace or lose their footing. Alalla moves to lift herself over a ridged patch of ice, only to find it shift beneath her hands.
Jun 14, 2019 4:00 pm
"For the lust of Lolth! Hold on..." Nym’s voice suddenly cuts off, as does all sound around the companions.
Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm
Disorientation hits like a sledgehammer as the ground beneath the three companions rips itself free from the earth - and the shocking absence of sound as they tumble only makes things worse. Then there, above them, is an enormous elemental creature of ice, as large as a frost giant itself, but like a burly six-legged lizard in form. It opens its jaws wide and unleashes silent, freezing breath on the companions.
OOC:
Two saves needed: DC 13 Dex save to avoid landing prone, and then a DC 17 Con save or take 52 cold damage (only 26 if you pass the save).
The giants do not seem to have noticed yet, almost certainly due to the magical silence in place over frost salamander and heroes, but at any moment one of them could simply look away from Fluphy and notice the fight happening a short distance away.

Frost Salamander
HP: 168/168
AC: 17

Rolls

Cold damage - (8d10)

(8289310102) = 52

Jun 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Con save - (1d20+10)

(14) + 10 = 24

Cold damage - (8d10)

(34237613) = 29

Jun 14, 2019 4:10 pm
Zenithral rolls to his feet and holds out a symbol of Ilmater, diverting the brunt of the blizzard around him. (Absorb Elements to half the damage)

He looks the lizard right in the eyes, demanding to be left alone. (Order's Demand) but to no effect. He whips out his bow, conjures purple sparking energy and fires at the thing, causing it to poof away in a burst of purple sparks. (7 damage and is Banished until the end of its next turn.)

He helps Alalla to her feet and urges the group onward.

Action Surge, Banishing Arrow
HP 75/105
AC 17
Last edited June 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Con Save - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Salamander Wisdom Save - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Longbow 1 - (1d20+11)

(9) + 11 = 20

Damage - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Salamander CHA save - (1d20-2)

(17) - 2 = 15

Jun 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Con save - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Cold damage - (8d10)

(414541088) = 44

Jun 14, 2019 5:23 pm
The frost salamander vanishes in a flash of purple light, and the heroes feel a tug as the air around them rushes in to fill the space left by the elemental’s sudden vacancy. The rush forward towards the tower.

And then, it is day.

Or so it appears, for a single, brief moment, as the tower shines with the power of the sun. Easthaven is suddenly visible, painted in blindingly vivid light and color.

Hands over their eyes, the companions stumble out of the zone of silence just as the light fades. Instantly their ears are assailed by cries of awe and fear from tribesmen and giants alike. Nearby, the dozen frost giants blink their large eyes furiously as they try to clear away their sudden blindness.

It takes a moment for Zenithral and the others to notice that Fluphy is gone.

Rolls

Fluphy Dex save DC 21 - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Dmg to Fluphy (radiant) - (24d10)

(244687981278989372144949) = 135

Jun 14, 2019 5:29 pm
"And that’s why we’re not flying in." Nym’s voice is suddenly beside and above them. And not only his voice. The drow sits astride the giant, multi-legged lightning lizard they met in Dorn’s Deep. He pats the behir’s swirling hide fondly, then gestures with his dark hand. "Hop on! Now!"

As if to emphasize his point, behind them the the frost salamander reappears in another burst of purple light.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.