Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 28, 2019 8:15 pm
Interest Check

IMPOSSIBLE LANDSCAPES
A Campaign of Wonder, Horror, and Conspiracy, for Delta Green the Role-Playing Game

"Is the darkness/Ours to take?/Bathed in lightness/Bathed in heat/All is well/As long as we keep spinning/Here and now/Dancing behind a wall/Hear the old songs/And laughter within/All forgiven/Always and never been true."

This book has teeth...
…still, one of you must eat it. Chew it and swallow it and then, act as the book might act. This is no small trick.

Then there is the dance.

Once the dance begins, others arrive. It is their job to pretend to be someone else but to feel real fear. As they act, they dance. They dance with the person that has become the book, they dance with their real fear, they dance around a table, and a story is told in the tracks of their steps.

Let us not forget the dice. The dice sing. They sing of opening doors, and brains spraying across walls, and the translation of books. The dice’s song lets you climb burning tapestries and scream and go mad and hide, weeping in the dark as marionettes spin in echoing tunnels of smooth stone.

The dice sing a tune, which the false people dance to while the book leads you all on.

And whether you want to or not, you dance.

We dance.

We all dance this way, hand-in-hand, until the end of the world.
Impossible Landscapes is the first campaign for Delta Green the Role-Playing Game. It centers on Robert W. Chambers’ 1895 book The King in Yellow, elements of which also appear in such game books as The Unspeakable Oath, Delta Green: COUNTDOWN, and fiction books such as Sosostris, Ambrose, and Broadalbin.

This campaign focuses on a missing woman, a mysterious play that drives people insane, an asylum, a country that doesn't exist, and the end of the world. Agents skate the edge of a mystery that unravels their existence and struggle to find a way back from a fictional country called Carcosa.

Impossible Landscapes focuses on surreal horror, like that found in The OA, The Shining, Twin Peaks, Jacob’s Ladder, Lost Highway, or The Ninth Configuration. Agents confront monsters, but monsters from the depths of the human mind. These threats are as endless as imagination and as insubstantial as smoke; making them infinitely deadlier than any ancient, slumbering, Lovecraftian god.
Not sure how much more interest there is out there in modern horror at the moment, but I'm hot to trot for this campaign, so I'm casting a line. You know the drill. Drop a comment.

Tell me, have you seen the Yellow Sign?

https://i.warosu.org/data/lit/img/0074/29/1449432141776.png
Last edited May 28, 2019 8:42 pm
May 28, 2019 8:36 pm
Seriously, stop making games I want to play in. I'm running out of brain space. :)
May 29, 2019 12:38 am
I would love to play this game. I've been meaning to try Delta Green, and I love me some surreal horror.
May 29, 2019 2:25 am
I am in the weird position of loving Delta Green for years and having read most of the adventures, but not having read Impossible Landscapes yet, so I would absolutely be down for this if I can get a spot.

(Although I have read and run Night Floors from Countdown already, so if you're incorporating that, I will of course happily bow out.)
May 29, 2019 3:00 am
Apophenia - It’s technically not published yet, Detwiller just leaked the preview of the first half on his Patreon. I figure at the pace PbP goes, the whole thing will be out by the time I need it. And yes, we will be starting with Night Floors. It’s been slightly expanded since it was first published.

I’m gonna see what other interest is out there, but if it doesn’t fill up I’d be happy to either let you join Night Floors if you want and can keep your past experience out of the game, or jump in down the line. Totally understand if you’re not interested in retreading that ground.

I also have a separate DG game running currently that I’d be happy to link you into at the next opportunity (which might be soon, tbh). Currently running a published scenario (Future/Perfect 1) but planning on eventually using it as a testing ground for my own Operas.
Last edited May 29, 2019 3:05 am
May 29, 2019 3:01 am
Also, 78 and Qralloq - you’re both hired. One or two more players and I’ll start prepping.
May 29, 2019 3:35 am
Woot! Thank you.
May 29, 2019 6:48 am
I would be interested but I don't own the game and I've never played it before. Let me know if that's okay. I understand if you prefer someone who knows the game
May 29, 2019 6:49 am
Oooh I haven't played Delta Green, but like Apophenia I've read all the sourcebooks but none of the adventures. Hope I can still remember where I stashed the rulebooks. I'm up for it if you'll have me :)
May 29, 2019 4:07 pm
Pick me boss I wanna be hired too!!
May 29, 2019 8:47 pm
Looks like we have a Working Group, then. Here's what I've decided.

MrApophenia - I'm going to hold off on you for now, since I have some more interest and you've already played Night Floors. If you still want to jump in when we get to the next operation, I'm sure we can make that work.

BowlOfSpinach - Only because you A) aren't familiar with the system and B) you're still sorta fresh on GP, I'm going to hold off on you for now as well. I am waiting to hear back from one player I invited to the game early on - we'll see what happens with them, if they wind up not being interested, I can probably get you a spot. In the meantime, I can keep you on alert for my other "campaign" games, if that's of interest to you (another DG game, and a classic-era CoC game).

Normally I wouldn't have any compunctions about having a group of 6 or more investigators in a Play by Post game, but large groups like that don't work super super well for a game centered around conspiracy, so I'm going to start with a smaller group of people that I either have already gamed with, I know have a history of excellence on the site, or are familiar with and enthusiastic about the setting.

78RPMLife, Qralloq, BedzoneII, CaveJohnson - You are invited to a night at the Opera.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/706/041/6a7abcaa6d5c32e5140edefa19155876_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=639&fit=max&v=1445005244&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=2025ec51e704477216af822c7d006af6

The King awaits you all.
May 30, 2019 12:58 am
Totally, makes sense!

Out of curiosity, any objection to my lurking in the game just to see how it goes?
May 30, 2019 1:33 pm
Don't mind at all!
May 30, 2019 3:54 pm
aint gonna like that creepy doll thing.. ...
May 30, 2019 3:54 pm
aint gonna like that creepy doll thing.. ...
May 30, 2019 3:55 pm
I'm interested to join this. Hopefully I can post in time.

I'm thinking about playing a drug addict, or a person that have broken out of an insane asylum. Basicly I'll be saying random creepy things that may or may not be true.

I haven't played this game before, but I'll try to look up the rules and see if I can make such a character.

Edit: I realised that this character is not suitable for this game. I might go for a police officer...
Last edited May 30, 2019 4:06 pm
May 30, 2019 4:03 pm
Hey RoAries - this game is full for now, sorry! I'll keep you in mind down the line. And frankly, the angle you're describing here doesn't quite work for most Delta Green missions, where the players are US government agents. The kind of character you're describing would more likely be the mission, than be sent on a mission.

If you check out the system and wind up being inspired, I'd be happy to run a game for you, BowlOfSpinach, and one or two other newcomers to the system.
Last edited May 30, 2019 4:03 pm
May 30, 2019 4:10 pm
Ah, thanks for responding fast. Hmm, I see. OK, I could join another game, if you can manage. I'll look into the rules more.
May 30, 2019 4:51 pm
Alright, I got a PM from another DG rookie who wants to try it out. So that's 3 players - just enough to launch a game for newbies. It'd be even better if I could get 1 more.

Right now on GP I'm in the middle of launching this game (Impossible Landscapes), a Tales from the Loop game, and rolling up a character for a system I've never played before. So I've got a bit on my plate atm. Give me some time to get this and my TftL game off the ground, and if there's still interest from the 3 of you, I'd love to invite you all to a night at the opera.
Last edited May 30, 2019 4:52 pm
Jun 5, 2019 2:00 pm
If you are still accepting players for this game I'd love to join. I've played a number of modern horror games, just never Delta green (have the book, just never found a group). I've run a few of the scenarios using other rules (CoC and Savage Worlds), so I'm familiar with the setting.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.