Request for Witcher GM + New Player Intro

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 1, 2019 7:50 pm
TL;DR:
For the Game: I would love for a GM to run the Witcher TRPG for a group interested in a pbp that values story and rp as much as (or perhaps even more than) combat.
What you get: I already own the books, and you of course can get dropbox access. You also get a player who has read the rulebook, performed in over a hundred improv (i.e. basically live rp) shows, and has had her writing published in a few different literary magazines.

Why the Witcher TRPG?
I know, we could just port the Witcher World into D&D 5E and be done with it. But hear me out, the Witcher TRPG has some fascinating mechanics that I think make it worthwhile.

1) Lifepath Character Creation - The Lifepath mechanics allow for characters that are as complex and contradictory as those seen in the Witcher series, and they can foster some interesting collaborative character creation. E.G. If I roll that I've made a elf/doctor/bard friend after we were trapped in dire straits together, and there is an elf/doctor/bard in the party, well now we have a cool reason for adventuring together beyond, "All of us goofballs met in a tavern."
2) The Classes - "Katherine, wtf, the classes are unbalanced af!" Wrong-o, friend! The classes are unbalanced if you're looking for a plot-lite, combat-focused TRPG, like what a lot of us are used to playing around the table with friends. But this is PBP, people! Dream bigger! Witchers are badass in combat, but they can't navigate political intrigue or diplomatic soirees like the other classes. Each class brings something unique to the table, and they often are built for a mix of situations - Doctors, realistically, have some social etiquette and business know-how from their schooling years. Craftsmen know their fine arts and can be awfully persuasive. You aren't just a bot for a single skill.
3) The Genre - Dark fantasy often devolves into, "Everyone is a bunch of terrible murderer-rapists." But we all know the Witcher universe is not so simple. Think of Philip Strenger, the Bloody Baron: Many fans love this funny and tough sonuvabitch who opened his home to Ciri and an abandoned little girl when they were desperate. But
[ +- ] Play The Witcher 3 if you haven't, my God
People are complicated in the Witcher; very few are wholly good or wholly evil. The setting is this way too - There is a lot of darkness in the Witcher, but there is also room for comedy and romance.
4) The Money - I got really excited after finishing finals and splurged on this book without considering that I would need a gaming group to actually use it. Oops.

Disclaimer: For better or worse, there are a ton of mechanics in the game (including rules on curses, verbal combat, and a very in-depth crafting system). Some people love this, and some don't. The Witcher TRPG is definitely not perfect, and ofc I am open to adjusting its rules for the party or GM's desires.

Who tf are you?
Hey, my name is Katherine. I am a medical student earning an MD, which has made traditional TTRPG-ing difficult for my schedule. But I also came to PBP (thanks to a recommendation by Cheza) because traditional TTRPGs never quite scratched my itch for story and RP. It's hard to imagine a badass sorceress, for instance, when your friend is doing his best falsetto and licking Doritos dust off his hands. The written word allows for a better suspension of disbelief and gives the time needed to craft a well thought-out response.

Beyond medicine and gaming, I also like to perform improv (a la "Whose Line is it Anyway?"). I've been onstage since I was young, but I found scripted theatre frustrating - the playwright was wrong because that wasn't what "my" character would really say. Improv allows me to tell my own story, and I've even been in shows where we improvised an entire play, instead of just a three minute scene. I love it, and you can see why I would be drawn to TRPGs, where I can make my own character, instead of being confined to what a video game allows.

My other hobby is writing, which I haven't pursued quite as avidly as improv. Nonetheless, I have worked as an editor and had a few short stories published in small magazines. That shit like symbolism and deeper meanings and all that other annoying stuff your high school English teachers would harass you about? I love it. I'm sorry. I will overanalyze all the movies and books and TV shows (and games).

Well, I think that long-winded borderline-novella just about covers it. If you're a GM who's picking up what I'm putting down, please respond here! If you want to talk shop about video games, theatre, writing, or w/e, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Jun 1, 2019 8:13 pm
Welcome AwkwardKaffers! Great post, (if I knew anything about the video game I'd seriously consider running the TTRPG just to tap into your enthusiasm and thoughtfulness). I hope that someone can do so.
Jun 1, 2019 9:09 pm
I was part of the witcher group that never got started. I re-install witcher 3 and now starting from the beginning, taking different main choices.
It is the best story rich rpg game out there.

https://www.playgames.dk/6962/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-of-the-year-edition.jpg

I got my hands on the witcher rpg book as well and is itching to play
Last edited June 1, 2019 9:10 pm
Jun 1, 2019 10:21 pm
This has been on my list of tabletops I've wanted to play for a while! I messed around with the character creation ages ago and talk enjoyed it, so I even have a couple lying around. I've played the Witcher through more times than I can count, so I'm totally game for finally giving this system a go.
Jun 1, 2019 10:35 pm
Yeah, as above. I can't remember all the times I've played through the game. Haven't tried out the tabletop yet, but Bleak's told me a lot about it. I'm interested in this if a game goes up.
Jun 1, 2019 11:20 pm
I'm definitely interested in playing in a Witcher TTRPG. I started when the 2nd game came out, and since then I've read the books and played the games several times each.

I was part of a game that never took off, so I'm definitely up if this turns into a game.
Jun 2, 2019 12:22 am
Oh, Blood and Steel never started? What a shame! Glad to see there's plenty of interest in a Witcher game though :)
Jun 2, 2019 1:49 am
I would be interested in running this game. I always find that I get more enjoyment from running games than I do from "playing" them. I had read the books months ago and wrote an intro adventure with the intention of playing irl, but it never happened. The only snag here is that I've never played pbp before. I'm still in the process of researching it. From what I've seen, using Discord seems to better-facilitate playing pbp trpgs.
Jun 2, 2019 4:00 am
I would definitely be cool with using Discord. I'm sure there are some threads up around here with GM-ing tips.
Jun 2, 2019 5:12 am
Discord is perfect for the "casual chat around the table". I found it very effective in the game start-up phase
Jun 2, 2019 12:37 pm
Don't get me wrong, I have experience with GM' ing various game systems: 5E, Stars Without Number, Deadlands: Reloaded, Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark & Star Wars FFG. I ran all of those via Roll 20 using Discord for voice and roll20 for maps/sheets/organization. Now I just need to find out what translates to pbp and what doesn't as I'm sure there are glaring differences in how they're ran. I will send my Discord invite to those interested in playing.
Jun 2, 2019 1:28 pm
I'm very interested. Please invite me
Jun 2, 2019 1:31 pm
runekyndig says:
I'm very interested. Please invite me
Done 😊
Jun 2, 2019 6:04 pm
I think most of the folks in this forum would be. And of course, me!
Jun 2, 2019 10:01 pm
Defo count me in. Personally I haven't found much difference in DMing PBP to at the table.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.