Introducing the Kids

Jun 3, 2019 5:58 pm
OOC:
The Mystery always starts with each of the Kids playing a brief scene from Everyday Life, with or without Trouble. This scene helps a player to get to know her Kid, and shows the other players what her Kid is like.
It’s spring in 1987, the Wednesday before Easter. The air is still little cold, but everyone can feel the crisp chill of the winter is about to break. Tomorrow, on Thursday, the new line of robot toys, Our Friends the Machines, arrives in the local toy shop Toy Corner, as promised by the huge media blitz that preceded the launch. The excitement in town, especially among younger kids an adolescents, has been palpable all week at school.
OOC:
Let's start the game! Who wants the first scene?
Jun 3, 2019 7:31 pm
OOC:
I'm suggesting a scene at the school cafeteria (lunch time) in which kids are excited about the launch but also about some time off from school.
Jun 3, 2019 11:21 pm
(sounds good)
Janet looks exhausted, considering she has to work selling these crazy robots.
Jun 4, 2019 2:10 pm
OOC:
Sounds good!
The bell rings for lunch at Boulder City High School, and the teens pour out of their classes and into the cafeteria. The double doors swing open as the throng stampedes over the discolored vinyl tiles to get in line. Someone is blasting "Human" by The Human Touch on a boombox as the lunchladies dole out sloppy joes and chocolate milk onto the styrofoam trays.

Kids are talking about their plans for the long weekend - hiking, cookouts, church, family dinner... and of course, the launch of Our Friends the Machines tomorrow.
OOC:
Janet and Burt - who do you each sit with at lunch? Each other? Clique groups? Something else?
Jun 4, 2019 3:31 pm
Janet doesn't have a ton of friends, but I imagine a tone who knows she works at the toy store and is interested is asking her about the toys. She is busy. scribbling lyrics a d chords into a note book. I dont know if anyone is in her band atm, what say you GM?
Jun 4, 2019 3:36 pm
Burt probably sits with his jock buddies at lunch, but its conceivable Janet is close enough that one of his chums might rope her into the conversation when the topic of the new toys comes up. Remember that Burt's jock buddies are not of the popular variety -- a lot of kids in high school think of wrestlers as "a bunch of boys rolling around on mats wearing water polo helmets" so they're not super popular (in contrast to a football, basketball, or baseball player).
OOC:
Also I have a portrait of Burt forthcoming -- a friend is working on a drawing for me
Last edited June 4, 2019 3:36 pm
Jun 4, 2019 5:24 pm
(makes sense to me)
I'll be happy when the toy crazies are over.... she says to Burt.
Jun 4, 2019 6:19 pm
OOC:
In re: Janet's band, I think it'd be a totally sweet addition for her to have a band with a couple friends. What's it called? What kind of music? What are her bandmates' names? Also, out of curiosity - is there anyone Janet has a crush on in school? Maybe someone who is more typically "popular", that she would feel embarrassed about having a crush on?

Burt, do me a favor and name one or two of your closest wrestling buddies.
Jun 4, 2019 6:21 pm
OOC:
Burt doesn't know right away that Janet works at the toy store
"What do you mean? Why do you care?" Burt says. It sounds gruff, but it's not intended that way.
Jun 4, 2019 7:08 pm
At a nearby table, two freshman in the computer club argue about their favorite robots in the series.

"The Deceivers are sweet! They, like, turn into cool things. Like Amfitrax - he's so awesome, his tank could destroy, like, anything!"

"Yeah, but the Deceivers are dicks, dude! How can your favorite character even be a Deceiver?"

"Why, who's your favorite?"

"...Tell me, in a world without pity/Do you think what I'm askin's too much/I just want something to hold on to/And a little of that Human Touch/Just a little of that Human Touch..." The song floats over the din of the lunchroom.
Jun 4, 2019 8:26 pm
Because I work there...at the toy store I mean
OOC:
her band is Janet and the Spiders. They play a punkish/glam rock style that's probably a bit too raucous for such a peaceful town. She probably has a crush on someone on the swim team. Let's call him Clarke? Her band mates are Davis Davidson a Swedish exchange student (plays bass). and Leslie Wilson (plays the violin). The violin is really out of place but they think they're onto something. They just need a drummer
She looks up at him and smiles. You dont play the drums do you? Or Synth?
Jun 5, 2019 2:28 pm
OOC:
Wow, I have never had such a hard time finding good avatars for a game on here before. Rather than flood the game with discrete NPCs that I can post as, like I usually do in my games, I'm probably going to just post as Gamemaster consistently and describe the various NPCs, etc. I think it will help the game flow better, since we're going to be introducing NPCs that you guys come up with on a fairly regular basis.
As you ask Burt about his musical inclinations, one of his wrestling buddies, Jerry Caldwell, launches a tater tot at Burt's face with his spork, and the whole table erupts with hoots and laughter. Davis and Leslie roll their eyes at each other as Burt is distracted.

"You're not seriously asking him to be a Spider, are you, Jan?" Leslie asks, leaning in towards you. "I mean, I know we need a drummer, but like... him? He's so... eck."
Jun 5, 2019 3:19 pm
"Cut it out, Jerry! Man, you're such a dork!" Burt says as he wipes tater tot crumbs from his eyebrows. He turns his attention back to Janet, "Nah, I don't play anything, I don't have time for that, but I love synth music. It's pretty rad." After a beat he adds, "So, since you work at the toy store, do you get any free stuff?"

He ignores the friend, Leslie's, comment.
Last edited June 5, 2019 3:22 pm
Jun 5, 2019 4:14 pm
Drummers need to be flexible Leslie... She laughs. Sometimes. But we aren't even allowed to open the boxes until the morning of. They've been so secretive. She looks down at her cafeteria pizza. Pokes it with a fork. It stays in that perfectly pizza shaped rectangular slot on her food tray.
Do you think this is actually edible?
Jun 5, 2019 4:55 pm
"Doubt it."

You hear a voice from behind you and turn to see Clarke Ritter, the best swimmer on the school's team, standing over your shoulder and smirking. His golden blonde hair is swept back, and his blue eyes sparkle at you like the water of a swimming pool. He smiles down at you as he speaks.

"What's up, Spiderwoman? You gonna be ready for all those crazy kids tomorrow?"
Jun 5, 2019 6:55 pm
Burt makes some snide comment about swimmers to his wrestling buddies. He's not trying to be very subtle about it.
Jun 5, 2019 7:03 pm
"Hey, Schmidt," Clarke says, suddenly wheeling on you. He stands over you with his arms folded for a moment, squinting. Then suddenly, he cracks a wide smile.

"Heard you crushed it on the mat this weekend. Killer job, man." He holds out his fist for a bump.
Jun 5, 2019 8:07 pm
OOC:
Was fist-bumping a thing back then? Timing-wise, the state championships would have been right around this time period.
"I should have done better," Burt says but accepts the compliment from the fellow athlete. "But getting to state as a freshman was one of my goals."
Jun 5, 2019 8:16 pm
OOC:
Not gonna lie, I looked at the fist bump Wiki article to make sure. It apparently goes back to at least the late 1800s! Comes from boxing, was popularized by Stan Musial in the 50s and 60s, and the idea of "giving dap" emerged during the Vietnam War. Probably didn't really become commonplace until the 90s, but it's a gesture with the ethos that I was looking for in the moment :)

Btw, the Bald Eagles are the real-life mascot for Boulder City High School.
Clarke nods. "I hear you. Don't worry, kid, you have three more years. Wrestling team's lucky to have you."

He wheels back to Janet. "So check it out, Spiderwoman. I have a favor I need to ask you."
Jun 5, 2019 9:09 pm
Although Clarke is a talented athlete, Burt doesn't care for his patronizing tone, but he lets it drop, confident that he and his buddies will make fun of him, and the entire swimming team, later.
OOC:
Weird about fist bumps -- I feel like it was popularized by Howie Mandel who's a big germaphobe when he was hosting that gameshow (the one with suitcases)
Last edited June 5, 2019 9:10 pm
load next

Thread locked