Interest Check: Star Trek Fleet Strategy Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 13, 2019 5:06 pm
Hi all, I run a couple of Star Trek games here and I'm toying with the idea of starting a different one.

I’m thinking of running a sort of strategy RPG set in the Star Trek Universe. The story would revolve around a Starfleet battlegroup during a time of war. Basically, the players would take on the roles of a fleet admiral, the admiral’s command staff, and the captains of the individual ships in the group.

This game will be using the Star Trek Adventures (STA) roleplaying system by Modiphius and will include the Admiralty Campaign rules found in the Command Division Sourcebook (pg 37-40)

STA Rules:
https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/11338/

Character Creation:
You can create your own character using the "Life Path" creation rules.

This handy tool makes it a lot easier:
https://sta.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

Here are the roles available for PCs

Admiral: Flag officer only. In an Admiralty game, the group must have an admiral. Select three additional Focuses, reflecting areas of expertise or subjects that pertain to the admiral’s assignment. At the start of each mission, the admiral chooses one of their three Focuses, and every Main Character receives that as an additional Focus for the mission, due to additional briefings and instructional resources. You will also be able to select and build out your flagship (This ship should be built using the "Strategic and Diplomatic Operations" mission profile and be given the "Command Ship" talent).

This player should have extensive knowledge of the STA game system as well as experience in starship combat.

Adjutant: Command department only. The adjutant must be at least a lieutenant commander. This is the admiral’s closest advisor and assistant, providing aid and support like an executive officer supports a commanding officer. A good adjutant is always prepared with mission proposals, alternative plans, and hypothetical scenarios to allow the admiral to react to problems. At the start of any scene, the adjutant may spend one Momentum (Immediate) in order to change the Focus chosen by the admiral for the duration of that scene only. The new Focus must be one of the others selected by the admiral.

Strategic Operations Officer: Command department only. This officer coordinates the movements and activities of vessels and forces in a given region or on a particular mission. Typically officers with a keen understanding of strategy, they advise the admiral and adjust plans independently when they cannot consult the admiral. Regardless of rank, the strategic operations officer has authority over all vessels and forces linked to their region or mission. They may reduce the Difficulty of Persuade Tasks with the commanding officers of those vessels and forces by 1, to a minimum of 0.

Intelligence Officer: An intelligence officer receives Starfleet Intelligence, other branch and Federation ally reports on strategic and diplomatic developments in the region. These reports, and analyses, allow the officer to inform the admiral and other cleared personnel about matters that might impact decisions. Once per mission, an intelligence officer may create an Advantage without requiring a Task or spending any resources. This Advantage reflects some detail or insight the officer learned in an intelligence report.

Ship Captains (4-6): These characters will command individual starships assigned to the fleet. You will be able to select and build out your own ship. In addition, you can generate your own supporting characters to serve as your bridge crew. If you do not generate these, the GM will assign you generic NPCs.

Knowledge of the STA game system is helpful, but not required.

It may take some time to get this up and running, but anyone who is interested, or has questions about the STA system (I have all the books), please let me know.
Last edited June 13, 2019 5:31 pm
Jun 14, 2019 4:21 am
So, basically STA meets SFB?
Jun 14, 2019 12:50 pm
kalajel says:
So, basically STA meets SFB?
Pretty much!
Jun 16, 2019 4:27 am
I'm interested. Can I tentatively put myself down as a captain until I review the rules? What particular war were you thinking? What era?
Jun 18, 2019 12:57 pm
optimumsquare says:
I'm interested. Can I tentatively put myself down as a captain until I review the rules? What particular war were you thinking? What era?
Sure thing! I Haven't exactly nailed down the time period yet. I figured I would leave that up for the group to decide. My ideas are:
-The Four Years War (Fed vs Klingons set 10 years before TOS)
- The Dominion War
-A war set a few years after the events of ST Nemesis
Jun 18, 2019 1:30 pm
I'm familiar with STA, but have never reviewed the Admirality Campaign rules. Sounds interesting.
Jun 18, 2019 2:29 pm
I'm interested in this game, particularly playing as a captain. The Dominion War or the one set after Nemesis would be my personal preference in terms of time periods. Will have to review the game system though, as I'm completely new to this.
Last edited June 18, 2019 2:33 pm
Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm
Polaris_AEthernalis says:
I'm interested in this game, particularly playing as a captain. The Dominion War or the one set after Nemesis would be my personal preference in terms of time periods. Will have to review the game system though, as I'm completely new to this.
Cool, since there does seem to be an interest here, I'll set up a game shortly and PM you guys with invites. Here's a breakdown of the rules:
https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/11338/

The system is pretty simple, but I'll walk people through it as we go.

And so far we have 2 captains and 1 vote TNG/DS9 Era.
Jun 19, 2019 3:33 am
I would like the four years war era, (go team axanar) but if the group wants tng/ds9, I love those as well.
Jun 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Sorry guys, doesn't seem to be enough interest. I think I'm going to try something different.
Jun 25, 2019 2:49 pm
No prob, thanks for mooting the idea in the first place!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.