Character Creation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 3, 2019 8:06 pm
We will use this thread to talk about characters. Introduce yourself (if you like) and let's talk about how the characters might be connected.

In the meantime, be working on your character sheet. You can use the sheets here on the site, or you can make a thread and post your character in it as text. Fate sheets are small and easy to type up. I'm good with either.
Quote:
We'll be using vanilla Fate Core to play, but most supernatural creatures will bypass Stress entirely and just inflict Conditions. I'm looking for ordinary people turned monster hunters as characters. At least one of your aspects should be something like "Garbage Man Turned Monster Hunter" or "Alcoholic Ex-Cop Turned Monster Hunter." You get the idea. We'll use standard starting Refresh, no Extras, and I'll have to approve all Stunts (but I'm open to most anything). When we start you all will have hunted together before, and I will be running a little short version of the Phase Trio (preferably on Discord) to get at least some of the characters connected beyond just a few ideas. Also, if you want an NPC who will be a part of your/the story, we'll probably have some civilian hangers-on as well.
Jul 3, 2019 11:02 pm
[ +- ] Some intro fiction
I'll get some sort of sheet made tonight.
Last edited July 3, 2019 11:10 pm
Jul 4, 2019 5:49 pm
[ +- ] My idea post from the Games Tavern
Alright, so what I'm thinking is my character used to be a police officer with a teenage son who somehow got in contact with the supernatural and got infected by something or otherwise affected by it in a bad way. I'm unsure about how exactly the supernatural is supposed to work in this setting so we'll have to come up with details together. I have then spent all my time looking for the culprit as well as a cure for my son (which I'm sure is a pointless endeavor), which got me fired from my job eventually because I was deemed as crazy (although in more professional words) for my interest and investigations into supernatural phenomenons. I could see my character take a sort of mom role with her main goal being to protect others. I see her as optimistic even in the face of disaster, even to a fault.
I'll get the character sheet ready within the next few days and in the meantime, we can talk about the character details here or on discord
Jul 5, 2019 12:26 am
I like that a lot, bowlofspinach!
bowlofspinach says:
I'm unsure about how exactly the supernatural is supposed to work in this setting so we'll have to come up with details together.
I'll be around on Discord tomorrow (I'm EDT - it is 8:30PM at the time of this post). We can talk then. Or we can discuss it here. Or both!

Short version: I'm open to most anything. But to fit your story, it would have to be something that can't be settled with an MRI. Maybe the son had a complete personality change, became violent or crazy or something. Or maybe he has some withering disease that has no known diagnosis or cure. Or maybe he has some sort of psychosomatic problem, like non-physiological blindness, deafness, or muteness. Or some combination of these.

Any of that interest you?
Jul 5, 2019 12:37 am
I'm thinking of my character as an actor who played a cop or private detective on a popular TV cop show. Because he had to know how to handle a gun for his role, using one would not be foreign to him. Beyond that I'm not too sure.
Jul 5, 2019 12:04 pm
I like the idea of the son having become uncontrollably violent, possibly with psychosomatic muteness or speaking in tongues as well...

Do you have a discord server for this game? If not, what's your name on there to find you?
Last edited July 5, 2019 1:02 pm
Jul 5, 2019 1:10 pm
I don't. I see on the GamersPlane Discord there are some RP channels. Do you think they'd give us a channel of our own? If not, I'll make one or we can use the #horror channel.

I'm @Caystodd#8294 [Caystodd] on the GamersPlane Discord (and everywhere else).
Jul 5, 2019 1:15 pm
You can just create a server on Discord for free. I've never done it but I'm pretty sure it's not too complicated. If you want, I can try to set one up for the game and post the invite in here. We could possibly get a channel on the GP discord but I have that server muted because a lot of stuff goes on there that's not immediately relevant to me so I'd prefer to stay on a separate discord.
Or if we add each other as friends, we can just start a group conversation there without opening a server for it
Jul 5, 2019 1:47 pm
We are on the GamersPlane Discord: https://discord.gg/ZEMxPr
Channel: #the_other_side

But if anyone wants to just use DMs instead, I don't care.
Jul 5, 2019 2:40 pm
I know we briefly discussed it in DM, but are these supernatural on the Web? Or would it be more plausible that my tech nerd intercepted something from a hunting group on the dark web and took it upon himself to investigate on his own and, unfortunately for him, found exactly what he was looking for. Now, he is obsessed with the monsters. He does not sleep more than a few hours a day (he won't sleep at night anymore) and just builds things to fight the darkness. He does not know if they will work and tries to recruit others to field test them with him. He hasn't gotten himself or anyone else severely injured yet...

My idea came partly from the tech guy on the '90's show "Earth: The Final Conflict".
Last edited July 5, 2019 2:42 pm
Jul 5, 2019 6:58 pm
Don't expect me to create a character sheet on Discord or spend any time there. My character concept is Professional Athlete who carries a gun. He was an all star professional basketball player who retired early from injuries and then joined the sheriff's office where he learned how to shoot. He will be difficult to overlook.
Jul 5, 2019 6:59 pm
So we have...

1. a real (ex) cop (F)
2. an actor who played a cop/detective on TV (M)
3. a paranoid techie type (M)
4. and a crazy girl (F) who travels with Caystodd's Hot Mom™ (F) who probably kidnapped her when when she was a child

I'm digging it. I'm making my character sheet now. Expect it to get weird(er)(er).
Jul 5, 2019 7:05 pm
Sounds like a pretty interesting crew
Jul 5, 2019 7:35 pm
Aldrusian says:
Don't expect me to create a character sheet on Discord or spend any time there. My character concept is Professional Athlete who carries a gun. He was an all star professional basketball player who retired early from injuries and then joined the sheriff's office where he learned how to shoot. He will be difficult to overlook.
You'll very quickly figure out whether or not you can keep up without seeing what we talk about on Discord. I suspect you'll be fine, but if not, you can drop. No harm done.

I love the pro athlete angle, but bowlofspinach already has dibs on the cop/shooter niche. If s/he's okay with it, though, it's fine with me to have duplicates.
Jul 5, 2019 10:25 pm
I figured if we're all going to be monster hunters, we all need to know how to handle weapons. I doubt that those we encounter will listen to reason or be convinced by our intimidation abilities. Good old cold iron would more likely be heard more clearly. I see this game having a big difference between it and games like Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green. In those games the characters know next to nothing about the other side while all of us in this game know quite a bit. Or am I wrong?
Jul 5, 2019 10:58 pm
Posted, Cay. Let me know if I need to spend a refresh on the psychic thing. I mostly just see it as a plot device, but I'll do whatever.
Jul 6, 2019 9:58 am
I think if our characters are distinct enough rp-wise, hitting the same niche twice isn't a big deal.
From your description, Aldrusian, I don't think we'll really step on each other's toes.
I might even relegate the shooting to a secondary part and go for a bit of a face angle...
Jul 6, 2019 12:21 pm
Aldrusian says:
I figured if we're all going to be monster hunters, we all need to know how to handle weapons. I doubt that those we encounter will listen to reason or be convinced by our intimidation abilities. Good old cold iron would more likely be heard more clearly. I see this game having a big difference between it and games like Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green. In those games the characters know next to nothing about the other side while all of us in this game know quite a bit. Or am I wrong?
You may want to give Fate Core a good long read first. Any Skill that can be used to inflict Stress is just as effective for removing someone narratively from a scene as the Shoot Skill. There is no "gun premium" in Fate. It is true that, depending on the fiction, Provoke won't work on some people. It is equally true that Shoot won't have an affect on some of the supernatural. We'll have to play to find out which is which. Remember, this is first and foremost a horror game. We'll play to those tropes as often as we can.

But none of that is relevant to my concern which is niche protection, but as I said, if bowlofspinac is fine with two cops-turned-hunters, so am I.
Jul 6, 2019 2:21 pm
I am in the process of reading through the rules currently (sorry, long day of adulting yesterday). I will hopefully have something up either tonight or tomorrow.
Jul 6, 2019 5:10 pm
mcinnis138 says:
Or would it be more plausible that my tech nerd intercepted something from a hunting group on the dark web and took it upon himself to investigate on his own and, unfortunately for him, found exactly what he was looking for.
This is what I gathered from our brief discord Discussion. I think this works great. When the group begins this game, they will have "hunted" together before, so some experience with the supernatural beyond the theoretical makes the most sense.

Wratched, feel free to go full weird as we discussed. I'll rein you in if people start to get uncomfortable. :-D
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.