White Halls

Jul 13, 2019 2:08 am
The light takes several moments to fade, but when it does the companions find themselves in unfamiliar surroundings. They stand in a hall of white stone that spans endlessly ahead and behind. Along one wall are ornate doors, and the opposite wall features large windows that let in bright streams of sunlight.

Whatever the nature of this place, the companions find their ills soothed and eased. Their wounds are completely healed (All PCs plus Halla and Ilmadia heal up to their hp value).

Two figures stand at the sill of one window, dressed in gleaming armor and robes. Shining wings flutter from their backs as they turn to regard the party. Even with the raised cowl hiding her features, Zenithral recognizes one of them as Myllandra, and the others have heard enough snippets of his visions to guess at the angel's identity.
Jul 13, 2019 2:08 am
Myllandra folds her gauntleted hands in front of her. "You tried bravely, heroes. But -"
Jul 13, 2019 2:10 am
Her companion cuts in. This angel is far taller, and his golden armor gleams imperiously. "The Pretender succeeded in destroying Jerrod's Stone, and Arakon's rift to the Abyss is open once more. Even now it spews forth a horde of demons into the Prime Material Plane." He clenches a plated fist at the party. "This is a disaster! How could you let this happen?"
Jul 13, 2019 3:09 am
Alalla grits her teeth and wills calm upon herself, so that when she opens her mouth she doesn't simply cuss out the presumed angel. She has had little interaction with celestial beings, and while she doesn't believe Belhifet has an accurate view on the world, she's beginning to see where he's coming from a little more.

She puts a hand on her hip and looks at him flatly. "Well we certainly can't do much to close it from... wherever this is. Why are we here? If I'm not dead I'd like to get back to work."
Last edited July 13, 2019 5:38 am
Jul 13, 2019 1:48 pm
"This could be a trick," Zenithral remarks to the group, trying to ignore Myllandra and Thaistius. "An illusion in our minds by Belfiet or Creshenebon."

(Zenithral casts Calm Emotions on the party, in case this is a charm effect.)

111 / 111 HP
AC 17
Last edited July 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+8)

(20) + 8 = 28

Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm
Myllandra does not flinch at the interruption. "Peace, Thaistius. There are more pieces yet in play."
Jul 13, 2019 4:27 pm
"Peace? This is already a phase three abyssal incursion." Thaistius' armor begins to glow as if heated, warping the air around him. "It will take years just to clean its taint from the plane. When Juiblex or another demon prince walks through that rift, the damage may be irreversible!"

His helmeted head focuses on Alalla. "I would just as soon not have you walk these sacred halls, tiefling."
As the angels converse, Zenithral takes note of the endless hallway, doors, and windows. Focusing on the sight of eternity is dizzying, but he is sure that it is an effect of whatever plane they happen to be on, and not an illusion. What's more, the place simply has too many sensory details to be an illusion. The air tastes clean and fresh, more than any he has ever experienced. Gravity seems to be different here as well, and Zenithral finds that by merely thinking about it he can rise several inches above the floor.

But most telling to him is the thrum of celestial power he feels binding him to the plane. The party is either in one of the Upper Planes, or an extension of them. It is likely that time also functions differently in this place. Hours may have already passed in the Prime Material, or perhaps none at all.
Thaistius' tirade is brought to a halt when a stream of light enters through the nearest window and coalesces into a third angel. This one's hooded gaze locks with Thaistius, and the two stand in silence, most likely sharing some private telepathic communication.
Jul 13, 2019 4:30 pm
Myllandra takes advantage of the gap to address Zenithral. "This is no trick, child. Until now I have been able to offer you only the most circumstantial aid. With the portal open, however, the stakes have changed. I pulled you and your companions here to safety."

Her cowl turns to Alalla. "Daughter of Torm." The title is given with far more respect than Thaistius' scathing comment moments earlier. "You will have your chance to enter the conflict once more, but with conditions as they are you need to be able to make informed decisions."

The angel gestures to a window, and suddenly the sounds of distant battle are heard emanating from it, along with the familiar howl of Icewind Dale's wind. There is enough room at the sill for each of the companions to stand side by side and look out on the battle below as if from a view several hundred feet high.

Easthaven is unrecognizable. Charred wood and fires mark where wooden buildings used to stand. The Temple of Tempus is now entirely destroyed and in its place is a crater, at the center of which is a bubbling black pool. Even as the party watches, scores of misshapen creatures surge out of the pool, an unending deluge of demons.

Fashioned, spawned, twisted, warped, each demon shows signs of abyssal corruption. Some are blobs of flesh with hungry, gaping mouths. Others are small, ugly fiends dripping with cankers and sores. Some take flight on bloated insect or vulture wings. There are larger forms that scramble among the masses as well, brutes with canine faces and enormous pincers. For all their physical differences, there are two traits shared by every single one of the demons below: bloodlust and rage.

Easthaven's defenders - orcs, men, and zombies - stand in ranks to bottle and contain the monstrous tide, but the fight is savage and bloody. There are points of light in the darkness, however. Lord Ulbrec directs reserves to shore up weak points in the army's wall, while Isherwood leads militia archers in tactical volleys against flying enemies. Tansia, Saki, Natalie, and the Tempus priests organize aid for the wounded, pulling back orcs and men who fall to demonic claws and teeth.

The undead stand with unflagging strength, caring not for their own wounds or the horror of battle against otherworldly foes. Maverick stands on the shoulders of one particularly large zombie, a cold glare on his face. His horned crown glows with unholy light as he strengthens his own monstrous horde, animating more corpses on the battlefield to join the fight.

Jhonen stands on the front line, his ancestor's sword alight with radiant flame. Demons fall with every stroke, and when they muster too much strength in any one place he blasts them with magic.

As the party watches, a large fiend emerges from the black pool begins to gather lesser demons to its side, leading them wide around the edges of the defenders' line -

- and is cut off by a trio that steps out of the ruins nearby. A huge orog in plate armor cuts down the lead demon with a shining slash of his great axe. At his side, an elf with sword and shield moves with blurred speed to head off several other demons. A second elf's bow hums in rapid succession as it picks off stragglers. And then a second army of orcs joins the fight, strengthening the defenders' line. The rest of the Cagebreakers have arrived, with Erevain, Keggruk, and Arannis leading them.

As valiant as the defenders are, however, the companions know that it will not be enough. With an endless torrent of demons bubbling up through the rift... And more powerful demons are beginning to arrive.
Jul 13, 2019 4:31 pm
The third angel departs in a flash of light, and Thaistius steps forward with a clack of metal boots, wings rippling behind him. "Your armies will lose, and this will turn into a full-scale invasion. We need to Scourge the region."
Jul 13, 2019 4:52 pm
Alalla's eyes burn- literally, with Zariel's fire- as she takes in the scene. Myllandra's efforts cooled her somewhat, but she is angrier than she has been since Gruumsh's taint was replaced with another. So close. They came so close with only circumstantial aid and now they have been taken from the fight to be spat upon.

"Taint? What do you know of taint? I have it in my blood, because you allowed it." She jabs a finger at the angel. "I don't buy Belhifet's tirades, and I choose to believe there are reasons beyond cowardice that you just sit up here and peer down at us, but I will not have the blood of all those who fight mocked by an observer! We have died and will continue to die in this conflict. Do you know what that feels like? Because I do."
Last edited July 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Jul 13, 2019 4:56 pm
Zenithral bites his lip, trying to not let his mind wander too far. "Scourge...Do you mean to destroy everything and everyone there? Might there be a way to seal the portal again as Jerrod did?"
Jul 13, 2019 5:21 pm
Alalla reins herself in, quenching the flame in her eyes. "I believe it only required one body to seal the rift. Let me be done with it. Or would you like to stuff it with your self-righteousness, Thaistius?"
Jul 14, 2019 1:21 am
"Sacrilege." Thaistius' voice reverberates through his helmet. "You know not to whom you speak, mortal. It is not your place to know my righteous accomplishments, but if it were, you would have no doubts as to my -"
Jul 14, 2019 1:22 am
"Enough." This time it is Myllandra who interrupts, with a quiet but firm interjection. "You demean yourself in this argument, Thaistius. We have much to do, and little time to do it."
Jul 14, 2019 1:25 am
Thaistius stands silent for a long moment, helmet motionless. Then he speaks in a slightly calmer voice. "Jerrod sealed the portal with his body - a temporary solution, and one that is now exploited. The only way to ensure that the rift is closed permanently is to Scourge it from the plane." The finality of his statement leaves no doubt as to the fate of anyone caught in the vicinity of this 'Scourge'.

"But we have little choice." His armor superheats again, raising curls of steam from his shoulders. "Not only could a demon prince be drawn through the portal, but its mere existence is shaping events elsewhere. According to reports, the infernal legions of Avernus have just struck out on a major offensive against the Abyss." He gestures to the window and battle outside. "With the attention of so many demons drawn here, the Fallen One's forces are cutting a wide swathe through select layers of the Abyss with hardly the resistance they would expect otherwise. She must have known Belhifet's plan all along to have mobilized so quickly."
Jul 14, 2019 1:32 am
"This power play of Belhifet's is already effecting drastic consequences for the Blood War." Myllandra shakes her hooded head. "How many schemes within schemes does the Pretender have spinning at once?"
Jul 14, 2019 2:31 am
"That fiend will receive his due!" Thaistius' armor pulses once more as if in agreement. "But surely you see that mortal efforts can only amount weakness and folly. The clergy of Tempus even created an order to guard the tomb, and they failed. This proves that the portal's security can no longer be guaranteed by mortals - and should never have been in the first place..."
Jul 14, 2019 2:35 am
While Thaistius goes on to wax poetic on the subject of mortals and their flaws, Myllandra stands quietly. But the party hears a small nudge in their thoughts. 'They failed... this proves.' Should any of the Order of the Broken Blade seal the portal closed, it would negate my companion's argument. The North need not feel the Scourge if it can prove capable of fixing this situation.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.