Self care: Crisis lines

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 9, 2019 3:39 pm
Life is tough for everyone, and sometimes it can be hard to find the right help. Regardless of the reason, sometimes you can't get over something yourself, and there's no shame in getting help. I rarely find support in memes, but one that pushed me to find a psychiatrist when my depression was pushing me low was (with the background of someone mixing something in a cooking bowl) "If your brain can't make it's own happy hormones, store bought work just fine."

If you're worried about yourself or someone else, please reach out to these lines. If it's someone else, never pressure; just be as supportive as you can.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Canada and USA: 1-800-273-8255

Kids Help Phone Canada: 1-800-668-6868

Crisis Line Canada: 1-866-996-0991

HopeLine USA: 1-919-231-4525

International Hotlines: Links to suicide crisis numbers from all over the world by Country

Resources and Information:

Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention
Information for those considering suicide and those who have recently lost someone to suicide and need help
Phone number: 1-613-702-4446

NEDIC Information on Eating disorders and links to helplines
Helpline: 1-866-633-4220

If you know any other useful site or hotline, please mention it below and I'll add it.
Aug 9, 2019 3:40 pm
All credit for this thread goes to our very own jabes.plays.rpg, and all initial links were gotten from https://forum.ludia.com/t/crisis-lines-and-resources/22. I'm going to do more research on each of these groups to validate their efficacy and other groups, both recommended and self researched.
Aug 9, 2019 6:13 pm
UK helplines

Samaritans https://www.samaritans.org/ 116 123

SANEline http://www.sane.org.uk/what_we_do/support/helpline 0300 304 7000.

CALM https://www.thecalmzone.net/ NATIONWIDE 0800 58 58 58

Nightline (Students) https://www.nightline.ac.uk/want-to-talk/

Anxiety UK www.anxietyuk.org.uk 08444 775 774
Oct 1, 2019 5:04 am
As someone who lives with depression, let me assure you... there is hope and help. Please, if you feel suicidal (or just down) call a friend, call a mentor, call a family member, but don't do something that everyone who knows you will regret. Hell, if you need to talk, I will always lend a sympathetic ear. Just PM me and I won't say a word to anyone about what we discuss.
Oct 28, 2019 7:45 pm
As someone who deals with fighting my brain on a daily basis I want to tell you you are not alone. I know how hard it is to reach out but I know there are people (me, other people here, and people in your life) you can turn to for anything from a judgement-free talk to advice(I am no professional, but am constantly researching).
We care.
Nov 7, 2019 3:41 am
Thanks for sharing these crisis lines with us.
Nov 9, 2019 1:15 am
It's very appreciated that you care about the members of this site :)
Dec 17, 2019 2:30 pm
This is awesome! I am a school counsellor, so great to see these links provided here! Well done, Keleth!
Apr 12, 2020 8:02 pm
This is very, VERY important information here, and I thank you for sharing it. I'm still really new here, but I can see that this is an actual community. Hope you all are taking the very best care of yourselves.
Jul 29, 2021 1:30 pm
I suffered one of my panic attacks today. One of the worst ever. I'll spare you all the gross details but I was on the can and I thought I was going to die. My fiancée got me through it and I'm better now, just really weak from the ordeal. And the reason I'm posting this is because this community is part of my support system. This place has literally saved my life on several occasions. I'm forever grateful.
Jul 29, 2021 2:12 pm
I'm not interested into going into detail as to why I'm saying this, but... trust me people... any embarrassment, shame, questionable public perception... whatever you can think of, don't let it stop you.

Things can get bad quick and no matter how strong an resilient you may think you are... remember that this is about your mind, and your mind is telling you these lies, that you can handle it all by yourself. You can't.

Take that first step.

I know I'm quite new here, or newly active at least, but... just, trust me.
Jul 29, 2021 2:13 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I suffered one of my panic attacks today. One of the worst ever. I'll spare you all the gross details but I was on the can and I thought I was going to die. My fiancée got me through it and I'm better now, just really weak from the ordeal. And the reason I'm posting this is because this community is part of my support system. This place has literally saved my life on several occasions. I'm forever grateful.
I don't really know you, man- but I'm glad things are going well. Keep it up.
Jul 29, 2021 3:03 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I believe you are among those who understand.

Years ago, I used to work in awarding disability compensation, and having never really had crippling anxiety or depression, I never really understood how people could have anxiety and depression at the same time. Then it happened to me. Big time.

Intrusive thoughts, depression, anxiety, doubt, fear, the frustration that comes with not being able to get a baseline from care providers on your condition that waxes and wanes, and the stigma that comes with being judged as a whiner when you explain to people who you thought were your friends what’s going on in your life…

Unless they were to experience it for themselves, they’d never understand it. You really find out who your friends are and that sometimes, you need to get some new ones.

I think the people that are here on this site tend to have above average intelligence and are creative, and I think that is who seems to struggle with anxiety and depression related disorders the most.

Hang in there! There are definitely those here who get it.
Jul 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Indeed. I have struggled with depression most of my life. If you ever need to talk something through, hit me up here or on Discord. Happy to talk.
Jul 30, 2021 3:10 pm
Thank you, everyone! Just taking it a day at a time. It certainly helps to know that there are those here that understand and will support you.
Apr 30, 2022 7:45 pm
In the U.S., and kind of specific to one of my demographics: https://www.veteranscrisisline.net
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.