Chapter 5: Pleased to Meet You

load previous
Sep 3, 2019 5:54 am
"Pip I think we need to try...that." Elora whispers to Pip, not liking what this creature has to say one bit. With haste she grabs her rapier and rushes out the door,
OOC:
Just with a cursory glance can we tell if any of the commoners have their lights on so to speak? This is an awful lot of commotion and I'm cautiously optimistic they won't discover we have spell casters.

Also thanks for the map!
Sep 3, 2019 11:24 am
Coreene jolts out of bed at the noise and the telepathic warning. Having slept in her leather armor, she grabs her scythe from her gear and leaps towards the door, hoping to see what the commotion is about.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Sep 3, 2019 4:54 pm
The creature lumbers forward, rushing toward Willitan, but encountering Swan first along the way.

Now that it's closer, you can get a slightly better look at it, though the darkness still shrouds the fine details. It has the body of a mountain lion, though much larger than any mountain lion you're familiar with. From its shoulders sprout two massive, leathery, reptilian wings, though they don't look particularly strong -- like they've been placed there by accident. The worst part is the head: a misshapen humanoid woman's head, enlarged beyond reason, jaws protruding with needle sharp teeth, stringy grey hair hanging limply about its face. The long tail continues to lash and twitch, spikes still visible on it.

It rears up on its back legs and lunges with front paws, gnashing at the bard with its yellowing teeth.
OOC:
By my reckoning, that's a hit with the claws, but not the bite: 10 points of damage.

Rolls

Bite attack and damage - (1d20+10, 1d8+5)

1d20+10 : (4) + 10 = 14

1d8+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

2 claws attack and damage - (1d20+10, 2d4+5)

1d20+10 : (12) + 10 = 22

2d4+5 : (23) + 5 = 10

Sep 3, 2019 4:57 pm
OOC:
Coreene has one move or standard action remaining in this round, and then we're back to the top. For the new folks, the second round of combat and all subsequent rounds are by group: average party initiative vs. enemy group initiative. So in this case, the party as a whole (regardless of individual initiative) will go after Coreene finishes this round.
Sep 3, 2019 5:43 pm
Coreene moves to the door and takes in the monstrosity that she is seeing.
OOC:
Would a Nature check be applicable/take up a standard action?
Sep 3, 2019 5:50 pm
OOC:
Nature check would be a free action, though this would be an Arcana check.
Sep 3, 2019 5:53 pm
OOC:
Ah, then I am useless there. I'll hold my turn for now. Coreene needs a moment to get a handle on the situation.
Coreene moves closer, hoping to see who is currently engaging it and whether they require medical assistance.
Sep 3, 2019 6:01 pm
OOC:
Round 2! The party may now act in any order. Swan and Wil have both taken damage.
Sep 3, 2019 6:15 pm
Having managed to go unseen by the manticore, Verrian continues around to attack it with her rapier from behind.

@All: I'm flanking it from behind!

Rolls

Attack roll - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Regular damage - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sneak attack damage - (2d6)

(33) = 6

Sep 3, 2019 6:16 pm
Hey kitty kitty. This mouse has teeth.
OOC:
Trying to make sure his attention doesn't turn to anyone who may be sneaking.

Rolls

Bow shot - (1D20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Sep 3, 2019 6:17 pm
OOC:
Forgot damage

Rolls

Arrow damage - (1D6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Sep 3, 2019 6:43 pm
Swan drops his bow and threatens it with his rapier, but uses his other hand to cast a spell on himself, while continuing to sing.

"Father! Awaken, your enemies ride fast! Afraid that this ride's their last!"
[ +- ] Inspire Courage +1

Rolls

Concentration to cast defensively, DC 15+1x2=17 - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Cure Light Wounds - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Sep 3, 2019 7:01 pm
This got weird fast...

Hey! Spot Face!

If the creature keeps being drawn to different targets, it'll lose focus, right? Ember stretches her palm out and hisses like hot oil hitting water.
[ +- ] Minute Meteors Ability

Rolls

Meteors, if it can't dodge - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Sep 3, 2019 7:11 pm
OOC:
Reflex saving...

Rolls

Reflex - (1d20+7)

(1) + 7 = 8

Sep 3, 2019 9:29 pm
Mad that she's about as effective as a gnat, Ember tries to tell if these things existed before the war.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Sep 3, 2019 9:47 pm
Yelnar grabs his Longbow and moves to the doorway to get off a shot.

Rolls

Longbow Shot (with Point Blank, Precise Shots, Guidance) - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Damage - (1D8+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Sep 3, 2019 10:36 pm
W-what is that?! Elora has to pause for a quick second as she stares at this monstrosity. It looks like something from a book I've read... the moment is ruined as Pip bumps her with a tiny stick, re-focusing her. Taking it in her hands Pip stands on it, waiting for Elora to act. "Everyone, I'm going to try something."

Without another word she snaps the twig in two, causing Pip to let out a single chirp. "Infelicis..." She whispers along with the two accompanying sounds.
OOC:
Casting Misfortune, Will save DC 14 to negate.

Rolls

Knowledge Arcana - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Sep 3, 2019 10:39 pm
OOC:
Will saving...

Ha HA!
Elora recognizes this as a strange type of magical beast sometimes referred to as a manticore. The first recorded sighting of a manticore was early in the Great Advancement, an unfortunate collaboration between an unscrupulous Alcaven researcher and Rhamian military minds. Strangely enough, despite being created entirely by magic, they proved to breed true in the wild once they escaped their handlers. They are certainly rare, but a few things are known about them:

They will eat anything, even carrion, but prefer human flesh.
While intelligent and (obviously) capable of speech, most are cruel and devious at best, utterly mad at worst.
They can fly, but are clumsy. There are tales of them taking off and hovering above the ground, creating a cloud of dust and debris beneath their wings that reduces sight and provides concealment.
Their tails are capable of flinging spikes up to 180 feet away, but only up to 24 spikes in a 24 hour period.

Rolls

Will save - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Sep 5, 2019 12:48 am
Keeping her eyes on the beast, Coreene makes her way through the fray towards Wil. Whispering a prayer to Occasa under her breath, she reaches out for him and casts Cure Light Wounds.
[ +- ] Cure Light Wounds

Rolls

Cure Light Wounds - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Sep 5, 2019 5:03 pm
Ember's meteors sizzle the manticore's fur, but seem to do it little damage of note. With no other immediate danger to react to, it continues its assault on Swan, misshapen jaws producing a crackling, high-pitched yowl of anger and frustration as it rakes at the bard once more.
OOC:
New round -- the party is up!

Rolls

Claws attack and damage - (1d20+10, 2d4+5)

1d20+10 : (1) + 10 = 11

2d4+5 : (12) + 5 = 8

Bite attack and damage - (1d20+10, 1d8+5)

1d20+10 : (4) + 10 = 14

1d8+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

load next

Thread locked