Chapter 5: Pleased to Meet You

load previous
Oct 16, 2019 8:45 pm
Ember hops up and follows the Naucan in a grand display of "nope".

So, Coreene, what exactly did you just do? If they can sense magic, did you just paint a giant target on your chest?

You still don't know how any of this works.
Better safe than sorry.
"Safe" would have been immolating them and getting it over with.
Oct 16, 2019 9:02 pm
Coreene looks at Ember for a moment. "I don't know. I have no idea how any of their tracking works, or if it evens looks for my kind of magic. I also imagine that I've just given the Crows more ammunition to use against the magic users in the area." Her face twists with remorse. "I could have just doomed us all, but its all I could think of in the moment and it seems to have bought us some time. I would also rather the target be on my chest than any of yours."
She goes to put a hand on Ember's shoulder to calm her, but thinks better of it, and returns it to her side. "I understand you're upset, and likely scared. But we need to keep moving, or I imagine we will all be seeing the inside of a cell tonight." Or worse. she thinks morosely.
Looking back to the dwarf, she says, "Erannik, are we ready to move on?"
Oct 17, 2019 6:28 pm
"There are old smugglers' tunnels not far from here," says Erannik, nodding to Coreene. "They should give us a bit of cover. We're only a few minutes walk away."

Erannik stands to his full height again, takes one more deep breath and says, "Off we go, lads and ladies. And let's hope whatever it was you did," he says to Coreene, "doesn't draw even more attention."

The dwarf moves as quickly as he dares without making a great deal of noise. As he turns onto the street from the alley, he nearly runs into someone coming the other direction. There's a brief panic as both Erannik and the newcomer stumble away from one another, and then the dwarf speaks in a harsh whisper, "Stones and forges, Anders! What in the name of... what are you doing here?!"

The newcomer sports a dark blond beard and a kind expression. He is not particularly tall for a man, with broad shoulders and thick, strong hands. He's dressed in simple commoner's clothes and well-traveled boots. "Eanala sent me to find you, they were worried something had happened," he says quickly, and takes a look at the rest of the people in the group, nodding in acknowledgement to each. "You're headed for the tunnels?"

Erannik nods. "We ran into a patrol. They seemed to know that someone would be where we were," he says in a low growl. He turns to the others and makes a quick introduction. "Everyone, this is Anders a'Valas. He's another member of our group."
OOC:
If my glance at character sheets is accurate, only Swan should be able to make a Knowledge (Local) check thanks to bardic knowledge, so please go ahead and make a roll. Coreene, if I'm misreading and you do have ranks in Knowledge (Local), you can also make a roll.
Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm
Uelten considers what he is hearing.

Rolls

Knowledge Local - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Oct 17, 2019 7:06 pm
Hang on, hang on. We had to wait until the cover of darkness, hiding out in a hole, not sure if two of our friends were dead and mutilated, because we knew it'd be a risk to them if we acted too soon. But we show up, what, fifteen minutes late? And all of a sudden your resistance cell is panicking and possibly sending more members to their deaths? How the heck have you lasted so long?

Her anxiety is clearly written on her face.
Last edited October 17, 2019 7:06 pm
Oct 17, 2019 7:32 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to Qralloq
Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Elora remains quiet but takes Ember's worries to heart as she judges this new man.

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Oct 17, 2019 10:46 pm
OOC:
You are correct. I do not have Local knowledge.
Coreene takes a good look at this new man. She shared Ember's sentiment, but Erannik seemed to trust him and they didn't have much time to waste. She looks to Ember. "You may be right, and you may be wrong. We have little choice but to keep moving. Eanala is an old friend of mine, I am sure she knows what she's doing sending him out for us."
Oct 17, 2019 11:00 pm
An old friend with stupid plans.
What if Coreene is right?
What if you're right?

Ember follows, but scrutinizes Anders.

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Oct 17, 2019 11:49 pm
Swan scratches his chin. "a'Valas... Not related to the ...magistrate?... a'valas, are you?"

Rolls

Bluff - (1d20+8)

(7) + 8 = 15

Oct 18, 2019 4:39 pm
Erannik is already leading the party toward the building, and Anders is waving people along to hurry everyone up. There's a pause when Coreene mentions knowing Eanala, and before Anders can reply, Swan asks his question as well.

"You two are from Hara?" says Erannik, turning back around. He snorts. "Welcome home," he says, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

As everyone continues toward the building, Anders says, "No, no magistrates. At least, not that I know I'm related to." His manner is cheerfully self-deprecating. "It's not all that common a name, but my mother always said her father came from a big family, so maybe it's a distant cousin or something."

Word comes back from the front of the line that Erannik's got the door to the smuggler's tunnels opened, and that everyone should hurry up. Anders says, "Go ahead. I'll make sure we're not being followed."

He ducks inside the building, taking up a post where he can watch the street.

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Oct 18, 2019 11:53 pm
Coreene follows Erannik closely, eager to be taking a more direct and secretive route to their destination. Though her mind races... unsure of something. She had no suspicion of Anders, but seeing how skeptical and worried her new friends are, has an idea to ease their spirits.
@Elora:: "If you think it wise, perhaps Pip should keep an eye on our newest friend. I would hate for him to get caught by the patrols for protecting our rear..."
Oct 19, 2019 5:54 am
Elora has to think about Coreene's proposal, not wanting to put Pip in any serious danger, and is feeling strangely attached to him now that he's back. Still, at this point it's better to be safe then sorry, so she whispers to him. "Alright Pip, just keep an eye on him. If he's up to no good, try and get angry, okay? Oh, also be sneaky to be safe." With that she lets him fly free, trying to act natural lest it rouse suspicion.
Oct 21, 2019 2:18 am
Moonbeam says:
"I'll keep an eye out for anything that seems out of order," she promises the elf. Her telepathic sense is still reaching out for Coreene, and still finding nothing. "Shouldn't the others have arrived by now?"
Eanala presses her lips together. Her answer comes after hesitating just a bit too long. "Erannik knows what's he doing. If it's taking longer than expected, then it just means that he and Timarra had to take an alternate route to be safe. They'll be here soon."

"Did you have a plan in mind yet for extracting your friend from the warehouse? Or is that something we should discuss? If we're going to free that many people, we need an exit strategy," she continues. Perhaps to change the subject?
Oct 21, 2019 2:39 am
Verrian stares at the elven woman. She doesn't quite narrow her eyes. In a calm, slightly sweet voice, she says, "Naturally, I don't have a plan for extracting my friend from the warehouse. I haven't even seen where it is yet. And yes, as I mentioned minutes ago, we will need an exit strategy."

Verrian leans forward. "You look worried. Where are my friends? What do you really think has happened to them?"
Oct 21, 2019 3:01 am
Eanala frowns. "I told you. They must have had to take an alternate route. We have our standard safe routes, but there are always random patrols that you end up having to dodge. It takes time to get there, it takes time to get back."

She breathes in, and lets it out with a long sigh. "But yes. I'm worried. I always worry any time that I send people out from safety. Don't you?"

Running a hand through her hair, she tenses her hand atop her head. "I'm sorry. It's no shock that things are not going well these days."
Oct 21, 2019 3:27 am
Verrian stands, careful not to move too quickly, and paces a little. "Eanala, I'm sorry, but I do wish you had told me your concerns about a mole before you sent people out to guide my friends."

She stops pacing, sighs, and turns around. "Why is it not a shock that things aren't going well these days?"
Oct 21, 2019 4:47 am
Inside the building is a heavy wooden door that leads down into a cellar. Erannik is lighting a lantern while he awaits the party. "I'll lead the way," he says shortly. "Follow behind me as close as you can. If you have lights, get them ready. It's twisty down there. If you lose sight of me or the rest of the party, stay still. I'll be back for you."
Oct 21, 2019 12:09 pm
Stay still? How bad is it?

Ember follows, still looking back over her shoulder toward where Anders went. Something feels weird. But, she sees Pip fly off, and feels a bit better.
Oct 21, 2019 3:13 pm
Swan lights a torch, and offers to take the back. "Fear not, my friend, I'm sure we can find our way if we lose our guide. We are very resourceful."

Secretly and very very covertly from their guides eyes, he readies a small piece of parchment to take notes of their path.
load next

Thread locked