In Search of... Cortex Plus

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 30, 2019 12:37 am
I love the Cortex Plus Drama System and would love to play a game using it. The only published game I can find is Smallville, but it looks highly adaptable (especially when you check out the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide.)

Here's the elevator pitch from the Drama System section of the Hacker's Guide:
Quote:
Set down your sword—that’s not the weapon of choice here. Put down the armor—it can’t help you. Dramatic Roleplaying is, as advertised, about the drama. Get a group of friends together, create your characters, and bring on the hard choices, the tense scenes, and the intimate character interactions you’ve been craving. Dramatic Roleplaying lets you recreate some of your favorite movies and television dramas, from tense political thrillers to fun and sexy young adult paranormal romance. Here, conflict doesn’t (usually) come at the barrel of a gun. Rather, it comes when passionate people butt heads and pull out the stops to mentally, socially, and physically get the upper hand.
I don't want to play Smallville, or in the DC Universe at all. I'd like to find a group of like-minded players interested in playing out some fun social drama between strong-willed characters. I don't care if we're superheroes, lords and ladies at the royal court, a cyberpunk crew working all sides against the middle, monster teens, the crew of a spacecraft, a gang of intrepid supernatural investigators, or at a magical college... or any combination of those, or none of those at all. Those were just the first few ideas I came up with. I want to find one we can all enjoy, step through the group character creation, then play!

Ideally, I'd like to share the GM responsibility so I can play as well, or if there's a very knowledgeable Cortex Plus Drama System GM out there somewhere who is just dying to run a game, I'd love to just play.

Full disclosure: I've never run a PbP game. I've also never run Smallville or the Cortex Plus Drama System. So there's that.
Aug 30, 2019 12:44 am
This sounds like fun to me. I've been exploring systems like this recently. I'm game.
Aug 30, 2019 12:45 am
I'm playing in a Smallville game right now. I'd love to play more. It's loads of fun.
Aug 30, 2019 12:51 am
He is a good player too jumps into the Drama.
Aug 30, 2019 12:52 am
I'm a glutton for drama, I'll jump in.
Aug 30, 2019 1:13 am
Squad and Bowl also play Smallville. Were having fun ? So far. These two are dramaing eachother out.
Aug 30, 2019 1:21 am
Cosmic_Cube says:
Squad and Bowl also play Smallville. Were having fun ? So far. These two are dramaing eachother out.
HAHA! You haven't seen anything yet.
Aug 30, 2019 4:04 am
Challenge accepted.
Aug 30, 2019 5:55 am
I'm enjoying our Smallville game immensely and would be more than happy to join another Cortex Plus game. And I can definitely recommend all three other members of that group. We're experts in drama by now
Aug 30, 2019 12:08 pm
Well look at that. The gang's all here.

I can safely say that I would play any dramasystem game with squad, bowl and cube. We're having entirely too much fun in our current game.
Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm
Wow! I didn't expect such a turnout. Anyone interested in being GM, or have a particular setting or story idea in mind?
Aug 30, 2019 3:40 pm
I was intrigued by your list of potential stories. Any one of those ideas sounds interesting, with the possible exception of "monster teens", although really, I'll play almost anything.
Aug 30, 2019 4:39 pm
I would be willing to GM. I'm pretty open to different settings although I prefer things set in the modern day or futuristic settings.

In our Smallville game, we're switching GMs between story arcs. We could possibly consider something like that too.
Aug 30, 2019 4:56 pm
I could set up a game and we can discuss details about the setting or organisation in the game forums
Aug 30, 2019 5:24 pm
Since we already have a supers style game going, let's do with a different setting.
Aug 30, 2019 5:29 pm
I can never have enough supers in my life ;)
But we can go with something else for sure
Aug 30, 2019 5:41 pm
I heard good things about this system and would like to try, but I can’t do very frequent games for now :(
Aug 30, 2019 5:43 pm
I liked the ideas in the first post - I'd love to try cyberpunk, supernatural investigators, steampunk, sci-fi spaceship crew... superheroes again, really anything.
Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm
Honestly I'm the same way.
Aug 30, 2019 6:11 pm
I love the enthusiasm! Is everyone okay with lots of IC drama, gossip, miscommunications, romance, jealousy, vengeance, love triangles, backstabbing frenemies, and more? I'm a big fan of putting my characters through the wringer before letting them get anything close to what they want. It must be the writer in me.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.