Tales from the Yawning Portal

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 21, 2019 4:56 pm
I'm thinking of starting a Yawning Portal game. I'm hoping for players who haven't been through it yet, though I know that might be difficult since it's been out for a while. We would start at level 1 and progress through each adventure.

I'm pretty much just planning on running it as a dungeon delve with little to connect each adventure or to justify the characters' motivations. Of course, if the players choose to go all-out on RP, that will certainly be accommodated.

If you'd like to join, leave a note here letting me know your level of 5e and play-by-post experience and whether you'd be able to commit to 7 to 10 posts a week. Don't bother with character concepts; I prefer players work on that together. I'll wait a few days for responses then choose six players more or less at random. Dungeon delves are a good way for those new to 5e (and/or new to play-by-post) to get their feet wet, so I'll probably make a list of experienced players and inexperienced players and randomly choose three from each.
Oct 21, 2019 4:58 pm
I haven't been through it.

I've played/DM'd for about 6 years. I've been on here for a few months, but I am pretty good about posting during the week. Weekends are not great for me to post though.
Oct 21, 2019 5:12 pm
I haven't been through it yet, although my daughter has dropped a few minor spoilers (which I've forgotten).

I'm pretty experienced with 5e, but a complete neophyte with PbP. I think I'd quite enjoy exploring character concepts with other players.
Oct 21, 2019 5:54 pm
McDunno, if you need peeps, I'd like to join, I'm in one RN With CancerMan we are slowly making our way.
Oct 21, 2019 5:57 pm
I haven't "technically" been through it even though I'm running the first module for CaveJohnson et al. D&D 5e is my game of choice and I've run and played in many games, and I can commit to the posting frequency.

I'll throw my hat in the ring if more players are needed, but there's no need to save a spot for me as I'll defer to new players.
Oct 21, 2019 6:17 pm
I'd be interested in this. I don't have any experience with PbP or 5e but I have been playing Pathfinder and Wrath & Glory for the last ~year. I'm not very good/experienced at deep RP but the post requirements are no biggie as I work at a computer all day anyway.
Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm
Running it currently for two different groups, but I would love to explore Undermountain as a player. I can separate character knowledge from player knowledge. I currently run two 5E games on a weekly basis, but I seldom get a chance to play, as opposed to running. I'll post as often as required, and I am good with RP. I've been playing by post for better than 20 years (I used to run on the old D&D listserve).
Oct 21, 2019 6:47 pm
Shiska says:
I'd be interested in this. I don't have any experience with PbP or 5e but I have been playing Pathfinder and Wrath & Glory for the last ~year. I'm not very good/experienced at deep RP but the post requirements are no biggie as I work at a computer all day anyway.
Do you have access to the Player's Handbook? Not having 5e experience isn't that big a deal if you've been playing Pathfinder, but if you don't have access to the PHB, it might be a lot more difficult. The Basic Rules will take you through character creation with a limited number of classes and subclasses.
Oct 21, 2019 6:49 pm
WhtKnt says:
Running it currently for two different groups, but I would love to explore Undermountain as a player. I can separate character knowledge from player knowledge. I currently run two 5E games on a weekly basis, but I seldom get a chance to play, as opposed to running. I'll post as often as required, and I am good with RP. I've been playing by post for better than 20 years (I used to run on the old D&D listserve).
Are you running Yawning Portal or Dungeon of the Mad Mage? None of the YP adventures take place in Undermountain.
Oct 21, 2019 6:50 pm
McDunno says:

Do you have access to the Player's Handbook? Not having 5e experience isn't that big a deal if you've been playing Pathfinder, but if you don't have access to the PHB, it might be a lot more difficult. The Basic Rules will take you through character creation with a limited number of classes and subclasses.
Yes I do have access to both physical and digital copies.
Oct 21, 2019 6:54 pm
Doh! I'm running Dungeon of the Mad Mage, but I've actually DMed the Tales from the Yawning Portal, as well, both the current version and the originals. :) Still, I'd love to experience it as a player, as opposed to DMing. I have access to the three core D&D books.
Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm
Haven't had the chance to play it so far. I'll take a spot if you want me!
Oct 21, 2019 7:12 pm
Could be interesting.
Oct 21, 2019 7:15 pm
Late to the game, but I'd love to play, though I do remember White Plume Mtn from when I was a kid.
Last edited October 21, 2019 7:15 pm
Oct 21, 2019 8:08 pm
I haven’t done this and would love to jump aboard if you have space 😃

Low levels of experience as only just getting back into RPG’s, been with GP for a few months which is my only real experience with PbP.
Last edited October 25, 2019 4:15 am
Oct 21, 2019 8:41 pm
I've not played it and would like to. I'd call myself intermediate at both PbP and 5e - still much to learn. I normally post once a day, including weekends.

As I'm already in a game you're DMing, fully understand if you want to give those coveted slots to others.
Oct 22, 2019 6:01 am
I'd love to jump in, but I do know the modules in their original forms. Although I'd be fine keeping player knowledge out of it.
Oct 22, 2019 8:12 am
Same as BedzoneII, McDunno. I'm interested but I've read through some of the original modules, though its been a very long while.
Oct 22, 2019 12:52 pm
I'm totally unfamiliar. So it would be rather interesting.
Oct 22, 2019 8:46 pm
I'll probably get the game started Friday night or Saturday and will make my picks then.
Oct 24, 2019 6:41 pm
I'm interested! I've never played Yawning Portal but I've been playing 5e since it came out. I've been a part of pbp for a few months now and I can definitely commit to 7-10 post a week
Oct 26, 2019 2:19 am
Thanks for the interest, everyone. I appreciate everyone asking to join, but I had to narrow it down to six, choosing from those who hadn't played it before. If any players drop out, I'll post here to see if any of you are still interested in joining.
Oct 26, 2019 6:28 am
Ah well. Have fun everyone!
Oct 26, 2019 1:16 pm
I would like to play it and never read 'portals':)

I played 5e both pbp and live but i am not expert
I play pbp for many years now
7-10 post a week sounds great:)
Oct 27, 2019 10:28 pm
Standing in line...
Oct 28, 2019 6:14 pm
Shucks i didn't make the cut :D
Oct 28, 2019 6:34 pm
CaveJohnson says:
Shucks i didn't make the cut :D
I kind of gave preferential treatment to people who weren't, you know, currently playing the module!
Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm
PShhhh playing.. what is this playing.. every play though is different non the less :D

You do not have permission to post in this thread.