Tales from the Yawning Portal

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 21, 2019 4:56 pm
I'm thinking of starting a Yawning Portal game. I'm hoping for players who haven't been through it yet, though I know that might be difficult since it's been out for a while. We would start at level 1 and progress through each adventure.

I'm pretty much just planning on running it as a dungeon delve with little to connect each adventure or to justify the characters' motivations. Of course, if the players choose to go all-out on RP, that will certainly be accommodated.

If you'd like to join, leave a note here letting me know your level of 5e and play-by-post experience and whether you'd be able to commit to 7 to 10 posts a week. Don't bother with character concepts; I prefer players work on that together. I'll wait a few days for responses then choose six players more or less at random. Dungeon delves are a good way for those new to 5e (and/or new to play-by-post) to get their feet wet, so I'll probably make a list of experienced players and inexperienced players and randomly choose three from each.
Oct 21, 2019 4:58 pm
I haven't been through it.

I've played/DM'd for about 6 years. I've been on here for a few months, but I am pretty good about posting during the week. Weekends are not great for me to post though.
Oct 21, 2019 5:12 pm
I haven't been through it yet, although my daughter has dropped a few minor spoilers (which I've forgotten).

I'm pretty experienced with 5e, but a complete neophyte with PbP. I think I'd quite enjoy exploring character concepts with other players.
Oct 21, 2019 5:54 pm
McDunno, if you need peeps, I'd like to join, I'm in one RN With CancerMan we are slowly making our way.
Oct 21, 2019 5:57 pm
I haven't "technically" been through it even though I'm running the first module for CaveJohnson et al. D&D 5e is my game of choice and I've run and played in many games, and I can commit to the posting frequency.

I'll throw my hat in the ring if more players are needed, but there's no need to save a spot for me as I'll defer to new players.
Oct 21, 2019 6:17 pm
I'd be interested in this. I don't have any experience with PbP or 5e but I have been playing Pathfinder and Wrath & Glory for the last ~year. I'm not very good/experienced at deep RP but the post requirements are no biggie as I work at a computer all day anyway.
Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm
Running it currently for two different groups, but I would love to explore Undermountain as a player. I can separate character knowledge from player knowledge. I currently run two 5E games on a weekly basis, but I seldom get a chance to play, as opposed to running. I'll post as often as required, and I am good with RP. I've been playing by post for better than 20 years (I used to run on the old D&D listserve).
Oct 21, 2019 6:47 pm
Shiska says:
I'd be interested in this. I don't have any experience with PbP or 5e but I have been playing Pathfinder and Wrath & Glory for the last ~year. I'm not very good/experienced at deep RP but the post requirements are no biggie as I work at a computer all day anyway.
Do you have access to the Player's Handbook? Not having 5e experience isn't that big a deal if you've been playing Pathfinder, but if you don't have access to the PHB, it might be a lot more difficult. The Basic Rules will take you through character creation with a limited number of classes and subclasses.
Oct 21, 2019 6:49 pm
WhtKnt says:
Running it currently for two different groups, but I would love to explore Undermountain as a player. I can separate character knowledge from player knowledge. I currently run two 5E games on a weekly basis, but I seldom get a chance to play, as opposed to running. I'll post as often as required, and I am good with RP. I've been playing by post for better than 20 years (I used to run on the old D&D listserve).
Are you running Yawning Portal or Dungeon of the Mad Mage? None of the YP adventures take place in Undermountain.
Oct 21, 2019 6:50 pm
McDunno says:

Do you have access to the Player's Handbook? Not having 5e experience isn't that big a deal if you've been playing Pathfinder, but if you don't have access to the PHB, it might be a lot more difficult. The Basic Rules will take you through character creation with a limited number of classes and subclasses.
Yes I do have access to both physical and digital copies.
Oct 21, 2019 6:54 pm
Doh! I'm running Dungeon of the Mad Mage, but I've actually DMed the Tales from the Yawning Portal, as well, both the current version and the originals. :) Still, I'd love to experience it as a player, as opposed to DMing. I have access to the three core D&D books.
Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm
Haven't had the chance to play it so far. I'll take a spot if you want me!
Oct 21, 2019 7:12 pm
Could be interesting.
Oct 21, 2019 7:15 pm
Late to the game, but I'd love to play, though I do remember White Plume Mtn from when I was a kid.
Last edited October 21, 2019 7:15 pm
Oct 21, 2019 8:08 pm
I haven’t done this and would love to jump aboard if you have space 😃

Low levels of experience as only just getting back into RPG’s, been with GP for a few months which is my only real experience with PbP.
Last edited October 25, 2019 4:15 am
Oct 21, 2019 8:41 pm
I've not played it and would like to. I'd call myself intermediate at both PbP and 5e - still much to learn. I normally post once a day, including weekends.

As I'm already in a game you're DMing, fully understand if you want to give those coveted slots to others.
Oct 22, 2019 6:01 am
I'd love to jump in, but I do know the modules in their original forms. Although I'd be fine keeping player knowledge out of it.
Oct 22, 2019 8:12 am
Same as BedzoneII, McDunno. I'm interested but I've read through some of the original modules, though its been a very long while.
Oct 22, 2019 12:52 pm
I'm totally unfamiliar. So it would be rather interesting.
Oct 22, 2019 8:46 pm
I'll probably get the game started Friday night or Saturday and will make my picks then.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.