Chapter 5 - The Last Mile

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Nov 6, 2019 4:55 pm
"Going to the hunters seems like the better option to me. We know that they know something. And they can navigate the swamp. We can't know for sure that the police can help us." She hesitates for a moment before adding: "And after what happened to Sean, I would prefer to avoid contact with local law enforcement."
Nov 9, 2019 2:43 am
"Sounds like we have a plan," Tony said. "Let's get pack up. I'll leave a note for Andrea."
Nov 9, 2019 3:24 am
I'll meet you at the car.

Calvin goes to his room and packs his meager belongings. He makes sure nothing is left behind. He even takes a minute to wipe things down where he left prints, and flushes any obvious dna.
Nov 9, 2019 5:38 am
Natasha doesn't have anything to pack. All she has is already in her car.
She just opens all doors to the car, hoping to get the smell of alcohol and her sweat out before the others get here. When Calvin comes to the car, she lets him put his bag in the trunk and then hands him the keys. "I really shouldn't drive right now", she says. She doesn't explain it further but it should be fairly obvious to him that she had lot to drink last night.
Nov 11, 2019 12:15 am
The trip out to the swamp was about as frustrating and as slow as the last time. This time, Calvin didn't miss the turn at "the big live oak with the branches that nearly touch the ground." Eventually the pavement was replaced by gravel. Gravel was replaced by dirt. And dirt was replaced by mud. Then they were driving up the lane to the Warner house.

https://i.imgur.com/X4kGhH2.jpg

Near the end of the lane the ground began to rise a little and get a little more dry. At the top of that rise, under a copse of of pines, sat an old house with a massive stone chimney and a tin roof. This time there was a truck parked out front. But other than that there didn't appear to be anyone home.
Nov 11, 2019 5:42 am
"Looks empty", Natasha comments. "But it looked empty the last time, too, and then we got shot at."
She takes out her gun and offers it so that either Cal or Tony can take it. I'll ring the doorbell and see if there's a reaction. If he attacks me, give me cover and I'll come back to the car. If one of you is not comfortable with potentially shooting a dog if he has it attack me, better let the other one have the gun. It might come to that."
Nov 13, 2019 12:22 pm
Tony raised her shotgun. She already had a gun.

"You knock. I'll take cover right there on the ground at the stairs, using the porch for cover. I can cover the door and the window."

Tony knew her way around a gun. Every hunter did, but she wasn't a very good shot. Hence the shotgun.
Nov 13, 2019 1:19 pm
Natasha gives her handgun to Calvin and, looking at Tony and her shotgun, says: "Just make sure not to hit me. If he's too close to me, better don't shoot at all."
With those words, she steps up to the building's front door, knocks as loud as she can and then leans against the wall next to the door. If this guy decides to shoot through the door instead of opening, she doesn't want to be where he would expect her.
Nov 13, 2019 5:06 pm
Calvin takes the revolver and makes sure he is not in a crossfire situation. Then he nods at Natasha to carry on.
Nov 15, 2019 1:10 am
Just like last time, as soon as her knuckles hit the door there was an explosion of barking. Four loud barks and then a few seconds of low but loud growling and then more barking. And then THUD something very large threw itself at the door. Then more barking.
Nov 15, 2019 3:07 am
The noise makes Calvin jump so he attempts humour to cover.

I think they may have dogs, but it's only a hunch.
Nov 15, 2019 9:26 pm
Tony leveled her gun at the door. She was not above shooting a dog. She'd much rather shoot a person than a dog, but still. She was not above shooting a dog.
Nov 17, 2019 1:04 am
Calvin sees Natasha move to the right of the door, so if anyone shoots through, they won't hit her.

Smart thinking.

Calvin takes up the same position on the other side of the door.
Nov 20, 2019 2:52 am
With the sound of a shotgun shell being racked into a chamber, Bill Warner appeared around the corner of the house. He was coming up behind Natasha and had his gun pointed in their direction. He did not immediately see Tony and jumped a little when he finally saw her gun pointed at him.

"Who are you?" he yelled at Tony, then "Oh, it's you." he said glaring at the others.

Warner was dressed all in hunting gear, but he looked almost as haggard as the last time they say him. He relaxed a little when he saw the familiar faces . . . but only a little.

"What are you doing back here?"

You do not have permission to post in this thread.