Street brawler game using Genesys

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 23, 2019 4:12 am
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/72/6c/7b/726c7bb13d81177d3c2cf05b7c63ee60.jpg

I've opened up a new game that will try to capture some of the fun of the beat-em-up video games of the 1980s and 1990s. Here's the link.

And here's the elevator pitch:
Quote:
Two-fisted action awaits you in the urban sprawl of Rumble City, where gangs run the slums and martial arts are a cultural touchstone. You are one of the good guys, a street fighter trying to keep the city safe from hardened criminals and corrupt cops alike.

The game is an homage to the beat-em-up video games for the 1980s and '90s: Double Dragon, River City Rampage, Streets of Rage, Final Fight, etc. So wrap your fists, put on your bandanna, and get ready to kick some butt!

The game uses the "Ready... Fight!" supplement to the Genesys RPG, but ownership of that product is not required to play.
I'll take up to 5 players. Familiarity with Genesys or FFG Star Wars is helpful but not required. Character creation information is located in the game's subforums. See you in the streets!
Last edited November 23, 2019 3:06 pm
Nov 23, 2019 2:56 pm
I should add that since it's the weekend, I know many folks aren't online. I'll take any players I know from other games at this stage, but if you've never been in a game with me, please send me a PM with your character concept, and we should be able to start character creation early next week.
Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm
Bumping this now that the weekend is passed. Roleplaying in the vein of Jean Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, and Jackie Chan. Or, if you prefer, Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, and River City Ransom.
Nov 26, 2019 6:16 pm
I figure this would fill up quicker considering how many open games are on GP currently. I guess put me down if you need another to start.
Nov 26, 2019 7:26 pm
I'd love to have you! Either the idea isn't resonating with folks, or it's just a crummy time of year with the Thanksgiving holiday looming in the U.S. Hopefully it's the holiday and we'll draw a couple more players after the weekend. But three's enough to get some characters brewing!
Nov 27, 2019 4:05 am
The premise is interesting but I think I'm looking for a hook. Punching dudes while walking right is all well and good, but what's the heart of the conflict? Is it like Kung Fu Hustle, trying to defend your apartment block? Or is everyone just busting chops to get by?
Nov 27, 2019 1:19 pm
GreyGriffin says:
The premise is interesting but I think I'm looking for a hook. Punching dudes while walking right is all well and good, but what's the heart of the conflict? Is it like Kung Fu Hustle, trying to defend your apartment block? Or is everyone just busting chops to get by?
Good question. The starting hook is that there has been a rash of kidnappings in the city, and your group is trying to get to the bottom of things. On a meta level, the idea is to capture the fun of the video games, but with a plot that is more akin to an action movie (American, Korean, and Hong Kong cinema-style). That means it won't be a constant stream of bad guys, but rather a collection of action set pieces strung together by social and investigative scenes that point the way to another set of possible places to explore. I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Feng Shui, if you're familiar with that game, but dropping (or at least downplaying) the supernatural elements.
Nov 27, 2019 1:21 pm
Here are the assumptions of the game world:

1) Ever since the pharmaceutical industry collapsed, Rumble City has been on the brink of social and economic collapse.
2) Gangs run much of the city.
3) The police turn a blind eye as long as the gangs refrain from gun violence and stay out of richer neighborhoods.
4) The legendary sensei Phil Wakamatsu helped institutionalize the martial arts here 30 years ago.
5) Dojos and gyms train both gang members and vigilante groups who defend the neighborhoods.
6) A rash of kidnappings in the last month has people on edge.
Nov 27, 2019 1:58 pm
From the writeup it seems somewhat vigilante style to me where martial prowess is held by most to some level.
Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm
Remnant says:
From the writeup it seems somewhat vigilante style to me where martial prowess is held by most to some level.
Exactly. Another touchstone are "street level" superheroes, like Luke Cage and Daredevil. The first season of Luke Cage especially is apropos.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.