What is your favorite D&D class?

load previous
Jul 12, 2020 11:35 am
For 3.5, definitely cleric. There are so many ways to make one, with a hundred+ different domains, plus all the various feats, and then the prestige classes on top.

For 5e, probably fighter, specifically the Eldritch Knight
Sep 13, 2020 3:48 am
Mostly played clerics in 2e and 3.5e, and occasionally a druid. My fave class at the moment though is the monk in 5e, Open Hand subclass.
Sep 13, 2020 3:56 am
In 5e it goes Rogue, Cleric, Ranger for the top three spots. I don't dislike any class, but I found Druid, Paladin, and Monk to be a bit disappointing when I tried them.
Sep 13, 2020 5:10 am
Rogue(Thief) and Fighter or a dual-class of such. In some circumstances - depending on the campaign setting - a wizard-fighter dual class can tick all the right boxes.
Sep 13, 2020 2:13 pm
Haven't played much D&D 5e. But, I was always partial to the Cleric. :)
Sep 16, 2020 10:58 pm
Half- Orc Monk. In 3.0 it could basically not be killed after 8th level. Also my favorite in Neverwinter Nights.
Oct 10, 2020 9:20 pm
Weve had a couple of shout outside for the rogue, but no one has cited the reason I like them so much, which is there ability to drive the story forward. Those insane ability checks really let me take control of the narrative and drive the story forward in creative ways. I always feel that a rogue is a must in a party and if no one else in the group is playing one, I certainly will.
Oct 11, 2020 12:03 am
Factotum from 3.5 D&D, because I don't like the focus of the Rogue on combat, but I adore the skill-monkey role, so a more skill-focused role suits me just fine. 5e? Artificer I think, it's not as fun as the original Eberron one, but it's still a really solid and entertaining class.
Last edited October 11, 2020 12:03 am
Oct 11, 2020 1:43 am
I started with 3.5 and have mostly played 5e and I gotta say wizards have always been my favorite and I think they always will be. It's not because of how OP they can be, I just love the versatility. They're the "There's an app for that" class and I think that's great. There's a spell for picking locks, there's a spell for every skill check. Amazing spells for defence, terrifying spells for offense; there's even spells for healing (kinda). I'll never get tired of playing one because they can fill almost any role; even tanking! Bladesingers are badass, have great lore, and they're a fun challenge trying to make work as a tank.
Classic spells, complex spell management, familiars, counterspells, shields, misty steps; they've got it all. 👍

I highly recommend the "Crap Guide to [insert class name here]" videos. They're hilarious
Last edited October 11, 2020 1:44 am
Nov 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Lets see if I can recall the classes I played most by edition.

BECMI - Fighter, don't think I made it past the E in BECMI so there was never a subclass there.
AD&D - Fighter, still, although I liked the Magic User I don't think I ever played in a game where I had one survive past level 2,
AD&D 2e - Mage, or Fighter/Mage as an Elf. After Kits became a thing Necromancers shot up my list, but that's still in that Mage category.
D&D 3.x - Monk, prior to this edition, the Monk had been rather unapproachable. However, I've always had a thing for well rounded characters, and Monk and Bard were always great 5th characters that could round our a party. Monk edged out Bard for me as I liked the idea of being completely playable gearless. (I guess we had too many prison breaks in prior editions.)
Pathfinder 1e - Still Monk, bot the Barbarian Titan Mauler holds a special place in my heart.
D&D 4e - N/A Missed this edition completely.
D&D 5e - Good question, I've only played a few games of 5e, but I have this idea for a non-Mage Mage using an arcane trickster/eldritch knight...
Pathfinder 2e - Full disclosure, Pathfinder's complexity got me to walk away from D&D for years. It was only recently I started playing 5e after seeing how scaled back it was from more resent editions.
Dec 7, 2020 7:43 pm
Basic D&D is Thief. I played one to 10th level. Loved it.
AD&D is Ranger. A lot of variety available in how you want to play this type of character, no two are the same.
2nd Edition is Darksun Psionicist or Multiclassed Psionicist/Defiler
3.5 Edition is probably the Artificer of Ebberon
4.0 didn't play it. still haven't played it.
5e Warlock straight up.
Dec 7, 2020 7:59 pm
I never really played 2e, but my favorite class was the Paladin, even though I had to cheat to roll one up.

During the 3.X era I had a thing for fighter/mage hybrids even though going full spellcaster was strictly better.

I have an undying love for the 4th edition Warlord, the like of which I may never see again.

Still bouncing around between 5e classes. I like the Paladin, but the Battlemaster Fighter at least gives me a little of the Warlord feel. Warlocks are like fighters that get out of combat abilities, so they're nice, too.
Dec 7, 2020 11:30 pm
Halflings for me. I used to be all about Rangers, basically your stereotypical human ranger from the forest with lousy people skills thing.
In the last year or two I started getting into B/X and OSE and fell in love with the Halfling class. Having the advantages of ranged attack bonuses and hiding in the natural environment sort of makes them the rangers of Basic D&D anyway, and they can do some cool thief stuff if you like that.
Jul 3, 2022 10:42 pm
I've only played dnd 5e so these are my favorite classes in dnd 5e that I have played so far:
1. Battlemaster Fighter
2. College of Lore Bard
3. Swashbuckler Rogue
4. Totem Warrior Barbarian
5. Way of Mercy Monk
6. Hexblade Warlock
7. Lotusden halfling Champion Fighter

You do not have permission to post in this thread.